Tyson Jost

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Jost was one of the Avs better players after returning from the AHL last season. If you want to judge players based on the preseason and two regular season games then go ahead. I think a little more patience is called for.

For like 4/5 games. It’s been 150 games with very few flashes of progress, he’s getting really close to being who he is at this point. Especially considering most cowards usually peak around 21-22.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Jost was one of the Avs better players after returning from the AHL last season. If you want to judge players based on the preseason and two regular season games then go ahead. I think a little more patience is called for.

He's played almost 2 full seasons worth of games. And looked good in maybe 10.

Even in the playoffs where he looked better it was easier matchups and managed minutes.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
I really don't understand why the Avs keeping putting him at LW. Jost has never had the playing style to be a successful winger. In my opinion Jost should be the 3C, and Compher should be at RW. I'm definitely losing faith that Jost will be able to make it long term though.

Mack Line
Burakovsky - Kadri - Donskoi
Nieto/Calvert - Jost - Compher

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Jost had a solid playoffs, but outside of that there were only a couple flashes. After he got recalled, he tied with Wilson and Ghetto in points. So he was suddenly great. I don't think the Avs should give up on him, but they need to realistically figure out what role he can play. His skating isn't nearly good enough to be impactful on both end of the ice as a center. He isn't strong enough or good enough on his skates to continuously win board battles. Those two things really make it hard for him to be impactful in any top 6 role. Even on the bottom 6, you're looking at a defensively responsible center or a wing that probably hurts a line you expect to grid. Maybe you re-tool a 4th line and make it have a heavy offensive slant? Or are you okay with him being a ~30 #3C who is solid defensively? He's in a real no man's land.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011

Really? That's your response to me saying we've seen Jost play 150 games now...

Jost actually seems like a smart player. That might be one of his strengths. His limitations are physical and I don't think he's going to overcome them. He's made little no progress in that area since he's arrived.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Swap JTC with Jost in the mean time until we figure out what to do with him long term (I think he gets dealt with 1 calender year)

Donskoi-Kadri-Compher
Nieto-Jost-Bura

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Jost had a solid playoffs, but outside of that there were only a couple flashes. After he got recalled, he tied with Wilson and Ghetto in points. So he was suddenly great. I don't think the Avs should give up on him, but they need to realistically figure out what role he can play. His skating isn't nearly good enough to be impactful on both end of the ice as a center. He isn't strong enough or good enough on his skates to continuously win board battles. Those two things really make it hard for him to be impactful in any top 6 role. Even on the bottom 6, you're looking at a defensively responsible center or a wing that probably hurts a line you expect to grid. Maybe you re-tool a 4th line and make it have a heavy offensive slant? Or are you okay with him being a ~30 #3C who is solid defensively? He's in a real no man's land.

Because he's slow and weak on the puck it's too easy for opposing players to catch him and knock him off the puck. He tried to gain muscle mass to help with puck protection but it didn't work. He could try the opposite and lose weight to help with speed but I have serious doubts about that one as well.

I've no clue what they can do with him. His skillset just doesn't translate to the NHL.

Reactions: Tralfamadore

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Because he's slow and weak on the puck it's too easy for opposing players to catch him and knock him off the puck. He tried to gain muscle mass to help with puck protection but it didn't work. He could try the opposite and lose weight to help with speed but I have serious doubts about that one as well.

I've no clue what they can do with him. His skillset just doesn't translate to the NHL.

I've long been a proponent of him slimming down. I think I'd prefer him at 175-178 than I would over 190. He's never going to be strong enough at the NHL level... might as well try to pick up as much speed as possible.

I've held out hope that he'd figure out his board play, but if he can't do that, he's simply not going to succeed as a winger. Which means I'd probably throw him to the #3C role personally. He's a good enough skater and defensively sound to where I think he can do well in that role. It is just a crash and burn from the expectations.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I've long been a proponent of him slimming down. I think I'd prefer him at 175-178 than I would over 190. He's never going to be strong enough at the NHL level... might as well try to pick up as much speed as possible.

I've held out hope that he'd figure out his board play, but if he can't do that, he's simply not going to succeed as a winger. Which means I'd probably throw him to the #3C role personally. He's a good enough skater and defensively sound to where I think he can do well in that role. It is just a crash and burn from the expectations.

I can see keeping Bowers and trading Jost under that circumstance then.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Really? That's your response to me saying we've seen Jost play 150 games now...

Jost actually seems like a smart player. That might be one of his strengths. His limitations are physical and I don't think he's going to overcome them. He's made little no progress in that area since he's arrived.

Jost is a very smart player. He is the type that gets into open space and can steal the puck. That stated, I haven't seen any improvement in board play and agree that he does better in a C than W role. He is definitely do for a break out this season. I'm leaning towards the Jost fits better into a third line C role than on the second line camp. I question Jost's offensive ability although he has shown that in spurts. I'm open to trading him if he goes to the third line because I don't want to block Bowers' development. Bowers' ceiling may be 2C but it's more likely at 3C. Still, I'm not willing to completely write off Jost yet. He was clearly pressing in the Wild game so I'm willing to let it go although I have major concerns as well. Nevertheless, some of the toughest critics are on these boards. Guys like Burakovsky and Jost already have a contingent of our fan base that wanted them off the team even before they stepped on the ice this season. Don't forget what people used to write about MacKinnon when he wasn't doing well. Some in our fan base wanted to trade him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I can see keeping Bowers and trading Jost under that circumstance then.

Bowers will have to prove he has some offensive ability in the AHL, but if he looks like a future ~30+ point guy down there, I could see it too. His game is better suited overall to that role and he's a bit more versatile with his size and skating. Bowers has his own development to go through before that path should be entertained.

Reactions: flyfysher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad