Tyson Jost

Ryan Pat80

Mar 16, 2019
Colorado Springs
He’s definitely played better at C than wing this year. He’s shown flashes at both positions but I think C would probably be his best position if he can get a big winger to open up the ice for him.
Think he actually solves our 2c though? Just playing devil's advocate here. I think he's showing some real potential. Just wanna see if others think this could be the real Tyson, or it's a flash in the pan.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Think he actually solves our 2c though? Just playing devil's advocate here. I think he's showing some real potential. Just wanna see if others think this could be the real Tyson, or it's a flash in the pan.

Nope. He won’t be a 2C. He could be a good 3C though.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think with a great singer, Josty could step into a 2c roll and do well. Not ideal, but definitely not a worst case scenario.

I don’t think he’ll be a 2C. He’s going to need a serious production jump to become a 2C. Well see though I guess.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I don’t think he’ll be a 2C. He’s going to need a serious production jump to become a 2C. Well see though I guess.
He scored at a 30 pt rate this season. So a 20 point jump is needed. Now if we remove the section where he looked completely deflated for a significant stretch and allow for the regular growth that 20 year olds have and I think it's more achievable than you're letting on.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Jost will never be fast enough for some but he is fast enough for Jared Bednar to keep him at center for almost two months now, and his demands on skating are much higher than anyone else here.

He's been working hard, generating chances, and playing good defensive hockey since he was called back up in February. All he needs is a little more ice time and some consistent decent line mates. Even his five game point streak, and his three game point streak to end the season, he still only got 9-12 minutes of ice time.

Trying to judge his peak ability with this little ice, and some combination of Bourque, Calvert, Wilson, and Andrighetto isn't going to give you an accurate read. Put him back with Landy, or put a Ferland type on his wing, and you'll see a lot more sustained O zone time and more scoring chances.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He scored at a 30 pt rate this season. So a 20 point jump is needed. Now if we remove the section where he looked completely deflated for a significant stretch and allow for the regular growth that 20 year olds have and I think it's more achievable than you're letting on.

Development isn't linear and is more based upon skill sets than anything else (though peaks fall in the 21-24/25 range... and Jost is recently 21). By all means I've been wrong many times in the past and will be many times in the future, but I don't see a skill set there for a 55 point center (or even a 50 point). He's too dedicated in the defensive zone and doesn't have the skating to be a consistent offensive presence at a high enough level to put that up. He will have spurts and flashes because he is fairly smart and has some skill... just not quite enough IMO.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I still have hopes and dreams that the cawlidge line of Kerf - Jost - JTC clicks for us and can play effectively behind the big line. I know it is fantasy, but I'd still like to see it.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He's certainly been better. He's starting to learn how to strip players pretty effectively, and is holding on to the puck well in the O zone.

If he can double his production, he could be a 2c.

Id like to see him with Rantanen and Wilson next game.

Reactions: Ryan Patsky

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I still have hopes and dreams that the cawlidge line of Kerf - Jost - JTC clicks for us and can play effectively behind the big line. I know it is fantasy, but I'd still like to see it.

Jost just doesn't click with those guys. Especially Kerfoot. He plays a speedy off the rush game, that's why Bednar keeps trying him with MacKinnon. Jost plays a down low cycle game. Win battles, protect the puck, and someone gets to either the soft spots, or to the doorstep for passes and rebounds. He needs help in this area though, he can't do it all by himself.

He's one of the better guys on the team in finding the open man with a quick head turn, and then hitting them with a pass right on the tape. He just needs someone with better hands than Calvert/Wilson/Bourque/Ghetto to convert these chances.

We've seen him setup multiple guys with great plays, only for them to shoot wide, flub on the shot, or put it right in the goalie's chest.

Reactions: klozge

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Nah, Jost is waiting for Kaut. Wheeling, dealing, puck stealing. It's going to be awesome. Some day.
Edit: Compher would be great on that line, though. Not sure it would work with the preferred sides of JTC and Kaut, though. 2nd edit: Should work. Please, have a miraculous summer, Martin.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Development isn't linear and is more based upon skill sets than anything else (though peaks fall in the 21-24/25 range... and Jost is recently 21). By all means I've been wrong many times in the past and will be many times in the future, but I don't see a skill set there for a 55 point center (or even a 50 point). He's too dedicated in the defensive zone and doesn't have the skating to be a consistent offensive presence at a high enough level to put that up. He will have spurts and flashes because he is fairly smart and has some skill... just not quite enough IMO.
Jost doesn't rely on athelticism. So his game will have to be more cerebral. So I think that changes his peak years until later.

Reactions: klozge

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Jost doesn't rely on athelticism. So his game will have to be more cerebral. So I think that changes his peak years until later.

The most cerebral player of all time's peak was 21-25. There are always instances outside the ranges and age doesn't determine where anybody is... it does give a rough idea. Just because Jost paced 30 doesn't mean he will be a 50 point guy at 23. It doesn't work that way.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
The most cerebral player of all time's peak was 21-25. There are always instances outside the ranges and age doesn't determine where anybody is... it does give a rough idea. Just because Jost paced 30 doesn't mean he will be a 50 point guy at 23. It doesn't work that way.
Well no shit haha. Never was saying that. I'm saying he has the skillset and IQ to pace that extra 20 pts into his game along with more assertiveness and more support.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

The skating concerns are real but there has been improvement there this season. All along he's always made little plays here and there that you don't expect out of him, they have always left me optimistic he'll be able to sneak by on quick hands and thinking. I don't necessarily think the timing will work out for him at 2C before he gets leapfrogged by 4OA but I think with two strong wingers he could be a serviceable 2C.

Pavelski didn't put up great numbers until he was 26+. I don't think Jost is going to solve our 2C problem but I could see him filling that role eventually.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Okay haha. Obviously arguing different things.
Just out of curiosity though any idea what percentage of the season he has played at C?

I don't know of a place that tracks it publicly, but it isn't real high. Mack and Soda obviously take the most time at center. After that Compher and Kerfoot. When in the lineup, Dries has also been more of a staple at center though on the 4th line. Jost probably lies somewhere along the same minutes at Dries at center.

Reactions: avsfan09

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Okay haha. Obviously arguing different things.
Just out of curiosity though any idea what percentage of the season he has played at C?

I don't know of a place that tracks it publicly, but it isn't real high. Mack and Soda obviously take the most time at center. After that Compher and Kerfoot. When in the lineup, Dries has also been more of a staple at center though on the 4th line. Jost probably lies somewhere along the same minutes at Dries at center.

Almost half his games this year have been at center. He’s played 73 games total this year. His last 30 since being called up have been almost exclusively at center. I think there was one game in there where he got shuffled between center and wing a bit. He also got shuffled there a bit earlier in the season.

Reactions: avsfan09

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO

Jost seems like the type of player that takes longer to find his way but i dont doubt the kid has 2nd line c potential. Too smart of a player. He will be our new ror hopefully.

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
If Jost can improve his skating. And get a bit stronger without losing speed. He'll be good. Either as a good third liner or decent second liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad