Tyson Jost

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Jost had a solid playoffs, but outside of that there were only a couple flashes. After he got recalled, he tied with Wilson and Ghetto in points. So he was suddenly great. I don't think the Avs should give up on him, but they need to realistically figure out what role he can play. His skating isn't nearly good enough to be impactful on both end of the ice as a center. He isn't strong enough or good enough on his skates to continuously win board battles. Those two things really make it hard for him to be impactful in any top 6 role. Even on the bottom 6, you're looking at a defensively responsible center or a wing that probably hurts a line you expect to grid. Maybe you re-tool a 4th line and make it have a heavy offensive slant? Or are you okay with him being a ~30 #3C who is solid defensively? He's in a real no man's land.
Personally I think he's toast as soon as Bowers is ready. He's not going to be a better version of that 3c than Bowers will tools wise, and if he's strictly a wing moving forward he's going up against the likes of Compher/Donskoi/ hell even Nuke who all offer a whole hell of a lot more. Then you have our wings in the Minor's already pushing for the NHL. Dude is about to get passed in a hurry after this season.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
I just don't think its time yet to give up on Jost becoming a top 6 forward if not low end 1c (yeah laugh if you want). Time to trade him? Yeah maybe, but what for? I think I'd rather just keep him unless we could get drouin for him which we can't.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I just don't think its time yet to give up on Jost becoming a top 6 forward if not low end 1c (yeah laugh if you want). Time to trade him? Yeah maybe, but what for? I think I'd rather just keep him unless we could get drouin for him which we can't.

Yeah I’d say any chance he had at being a top line player is loooooong gone.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010

Ok..

e8a.gif

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah I’d say any chance he had at being a top line player is loooooong gone.

Evidence so far points to you being right but development isn't linear for everyone. You know this from your own past too, sometimes concepts don't click right away but it doesn't mean you will never be able to grasp them.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Evidence so far points to you being right but development isn't linear for everyone. You know this from your own past too, sometimes concepts don't click right away but it doesn't mean you will never be able to grasp them.

Correct development isn’t linear. But usually a player developing at least show glimpses of taking that next step. Jost hasn’t.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Again, there needs to be a SUBSTANTIAL jump in his game to overcome the fact that he lacks both size/power and speed. And it's just not happening. I get there are brief glimpses of brilliance, like in the postseason and not long after his callup, but really nothing huge or sustainable. I still think this ends with him being shipped off as part of a package deal, and that pretty much puts the final nail in the coffin of the 2016 draft.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

I would sooner bet on Kaut or Newhook becoming a top line player than Jost would. Jost can still be useful but the upside at the high end seems to be missing.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Again, there needs to be a SUBSTANTIAL jump in his game to overcome the fact that he lacks both size/power and speed. And it's just not happening. I get there are brief glimpses of brilliance, like in the postseason and not long after his callup, but really nothing huge or sustainable. I still think this ends with him being shipped off as part of a package deal, and that pretty much puts the final nail in the coffin of the 2016 draft.

I have been a Jost supporter but I agree with both a substantial and sustained improvement. That said, last game was only the second game of the season. I'd love for every player to come out and immediately be successful but it's a long, long season.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I have been a Jost supporter but I agree with both a substantial and sustained improvement. That said, last game was only the second game of the season. I'd love for every player to come out and immediately be successful but it's a long, long season.

I can respect your optimism, but this isn't anything new from Jost. He's had brief boosts where it really looked like he was putting it together, but for the most part what we've seen to start this season has been indicative of #17's NHL career thus far. And even those brief stretches of good play weren't like, hugely impactful. He was merely "pretty good."

I agree with everyone though that at the very least, they need to swap out Compher and Jost. I don't like JTC as a center, and I REALLY don't like Jost as a wing.

Reactions: flyfysher

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I can respect your optimism, but this isn't anything new from Jost. He's had brief boosts where it really looked like he was putting it together, but for the most part what we've seen to start this season has been indicative of #17's NHL career thus far. And even those brief stretches of good play weren't like, hugely impactful. He was merely "pretty good."

I agree with everyone though that at the very least, they need to swap out Compher and Jost. I don't like JTC as a center, and I REALLY don't like Jost as a wing.

I'm willing to see a little more of the second line opportunity wise just to learn what you have but in my view Donskoi and Compher with Kadri are a much more dangerous group than with Burakovsky and Jost as Kadri's line mates. I wouldn't say I'm optimistic about Jost but I want to be sure what his limitations are. I definitely thought Jost had a higher ceiling than Kerfoot development wise. But it may be he's just not a great fit with this team.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm willing to see a little more of the second line opportunity wise just to learn what you have but in my view Donskoi and Compher with Kadri are a much more dangerous group than with Burakovsky and Jost as Kadri's line mates. I wouldn't say I'm optimistic about Jost but I want to be sure what his limitations are. I definitely thought Jost had a higher ceiling than Kerfoot development wise. But it may be he's just not a great fit with this team.

His limitations are that he’s useless along the boards, has no separation ability, and while he has a decent shot it takes him a month to get it off.

Honestly his only hope is being a 3C with wingers that will give him space and time to be effective.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Jost is miscast as a #2LW or in any top 6 role tbh, but he'll be an above-average #3C. If his skating/strength improves i'd argue he'll develop into a borderline elite #3C.

He could prove us all wrong and put up 40+ points this season and look good doing it in the 2LW role, but he's far more suited to be the #3 pivot and the go-to guy on a line against weaker players.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I believe someone mentioned yesterday, send Jost down to the AHL before he reaches his 160th game so he doesn't have to clear Waivers. Leave him for the entire season to blend with the prospects. If he's NHL ready, he should dominate.

There is little to nothing at this juncture to being no higher than a 3C. He even struggled in pre-season against Rookies. I never liked the pick (wanted Chychrun). but still better than many others in his draft year. So he is not completely terrible and should still return or packaged for a better player.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Incidentally, someone mentioned he has a massively long stick for a guy his size (cue the obvious jokes), which make it virtually impossibly to work well along the boards. Hasn't anyone approached him about switching it up like Duchene did a while back?

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
2016 player comparision - Jonathan Toews

2019 player comparision - Alyn McCauley

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
As displeased as I am with Jost I still think we should calm down on the trade or AHL talk. The season is very young and he's playing with linemates who weren't even on this team last year. And to be fair, he was good in the season opener. Really good. A little bit more luck or less solid goaltending and this thread wouldn't exist.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Have to think management would sooner trade a guy they initially penciled in to the top 6 before demoting him to the AHL for an extended amount of time.

That's probably the most frustrating thing about Jost. He's been spoon fed prime minutes by management and has done f*** all with them.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
He's not ready yet. I have no idea what management saw that led them to believe he was ready for a top 6 role. He should be on the 3rd line.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Incidentally, someone mentioned he has a massively long stick for a guy his size (cue the obvious jokes), which make it virtually impossibly to work well along the boards. Hasn't anyone approached him about switching it up like Duchene did a while back?
That someone is me lol. His long ass stick does him no favors. It comes in handy sometimes when hes forechecking but more often than not you see him flub shots especially when hes trying that Matthews drag move. Long stick is just one of his issues imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad