Tyson Jost

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Jost on the first line in the first period was a disaster. He managed to make Mikko and Mack look like 3rd line players. They were completely ineffectual until reunited with Gabe. Right now he is an anchor on any line he is on. Time for the AHL. Problem is they have no depth.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What he's not 20 anymore? :laugh:

Unfortunately, Bednar hasn't been great so far this year. He's made numerous poor decisions and his unwillingness to make actual REAL change is certainly not helping this team at all. When he actually decides to make a change and break-up the Top Line he comes up with replacing Landeskog with Nieto??? To quote George Bluth "what are you taking stupid pills again?" :laugh: He actually decides to split up the Top Line and he only does it for 1 period and goes back to 9296 for the 2nd and 3rd periods?? It's really strange because a while back he put Compher with Lando and Mack in the 3rd period and it paid off right away. Compher has the ability to play with Landeskog and MacKinnon...Nieto just doesn't so I can't for the life of me understand WTF he was thinking. By moving Rantanen on the 2nd line, you're practically making that line a threat no matter which combination of Soderberg, Jost, Kerfoot or Andrighetto you're coming up with. The fact that he can't see this and his refusal to give Soderberg some actual wingers concerns the hell out of me.

Sadly, with Bednar I think it's going to play out the way I anticipated right before Sakic gave him the 1 year extension (for 2019). He's a good coach for a young team but he will not be the guy that's going to be able to take us over the hump. We are going to need a Quenneville-type coach for us to take the next step. For right now, it's fine because we've still got some significant holes in our lineup but my expectations are that he would use what he's got on the roster in the best possible way to limit those holes. He's not doing that right now keeping Soderberg as #3C and giving him those defensive wingers.

Which brings me to Jost. Two games ago, after an average at best 1st period Jost had one hell of a shift where he was forechecking like crazy and caused a turnover which led to a scoring chance. His next shift came about 8 minutes later in that period. Whether that's due to the PP, PK or whatever...the next time his line was out there, Andrighetto was in his spot. That's just no way to bring along a young 20 year old kid.

The way I see it, with our current lineup you can bring him along as a winger on a 1st or 2nd line with a veteran like Soderberg OR you can bring him along as a 3rd line center with lower offensive expectations. If you're going to give him limited minutes on the 4th line, you might as well send him down to the AHL and give him Top Line minutes so he can regain his confidence and actually develop.

**I started writing this message earlier this afternoon before seeing expected lineup - I see he's been given a chance on the top line - [better than Nieto] - I'm gonna watch this game later**

I'll admit I'm really starting to lose confidence in Jared Bednar. I think he evolved and grew as a head coach this last season but he's stagnated now. Sometimes that happens I guess.

I praised him for being the guy who thought outside the box, someone who went the unconventional route when so many of his contemporaries were maddeningly doing the same shit over and over again when there was a very clear path forward. I don't pretend that he was perfect last season--far from it--but he was willing to gamble. He's not doing so now, and in fact the one time he DID gamble, it was really ill-advised (pulling the goalie when he knew damned well his team was lousy at faceoffs).

The thing that's killing me right now is that the team is calling up players to provide "a spark," but no one's gonna provide a spark playing five minutes. Same goes for defensemen who play only ten, while clearly struggling guys like EJ and Sammy get overworked.

If this swoon continues and we don't see Carl Soderberg center a legit, actual 2nd line at some f***ing point, I don't know what to think.

And for the love of God STOP WITH GABE BOURQUE. I am so f***ing over that guy.

But anyway, I don't know what the damned path is with Jost going forward is. Again, I think it's way, way beyond a simple confidence issue, and while they completely botched his development, I don't think we'll ever see him fix what's broken, because he simply was, and still is, too slow for the NHL. They should send him down at the very least while they still can.

But yes, to me, right now, the biggest problem is not anyone on the ice...it's the stubborn coach who refuses to really make necessary changes. He's just trying variations on what worked last season and hoping to God it works.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Jost on the first line in the first period was a disaster. He managed to make Mikko and Mack look like 3rd line players. They were completely ineffectual until reunited with Gabe. Right now he is an anchor on any line he is on. Time for the AHL. Problem is they have no depth.

Jost didn't do much on the top line, but Mikko and MacK have themselves to blame for how they look when Landy isn't with them. Whether it's Jost, Nieto, Kerfoot, or whoever, they almost look like they're waiting for Bednar to reunite them. Then they start playing like they're capable of.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Jost didn't do much on the top line, but Mikko and MacK have themselves to blame for how they look when Landy isn't with them. Whether it's Jost, Nieto, Kerfoot, or whoever, they almost look like they're waiting for Bednar to reunite them. Then they start playing like they're capable of.

Well when you don't have to play defense you never learn. Which is also probably why MacK & Mikko are a f***ing disaster in OT. Mikko can go get the puck back, but puck battles are not really a thing MacK does well lol. Mikko is also either beastly at it, or looks like a baby giraffe depending on the night.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I still have hope for the kid, but some of the aspects of the game of his are fundamentally flawed. His skating will probably always limit him to being a complementary player rather than the one pushing the play. Also, it seems quite obvious his position in the NHL should be on the wing. Quite frankly, I hope he gets sent down to the AHL even with our piss poor depth because his development is far more important than this season.

Reactions: klozge

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There was a shift in the Hawks game I think where he got absolutely scorched in a race for a loose puck and Moser said he "ran outta gas," and I immediately retorted on Twitter "Uh, no, that's how fast he usually is."

Overall, the whole team looks slow though, one reason is that they obviously aren't skating that much, and in addition they keep collapsing back into the low neutral zone and defensive zone really passively, it's maddening to watch. That's absolutely NOT what this team was built for, but right now everyone is afraid of making a mistake, Jost being one of many.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I feel like that was the kind of game that can really boost Jost's confidence a lot. Two goals should be enough to break him out of the mental slump at least, if that's all it is (and I think that is a significant part of what's going on).

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It’s was the Bizarro world Avs. Rantanen and Skog go pointless but Jost gets two goals.

Is there a half moon tonight or something?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Anybody notice how Jost was getting his legs pumping much harder early in the game, and carrying his speed through the zone better? Not coincidentally it led to him looking much more involved in the play, and then being in position to get his first goal. Then the confidence boost helped him get his second goal on a nice deflection.

Hopefully he can keep his legs moving the way he was in this game, and carry that confidence over to the next few games.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I thought he played relatively well, especially given how beat to hell that line got last night. He was definitely not havin' it last night, threw more hits than I ever remember him doing and got into it with McQuaid at one point.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
I'm encouraged by his recent games. It seems to me that Jost has really upped his compete level. Obviously he was never going to drop them with McQ but to stand up for himself and push back was a welcome sight. Hopefully Bednar keeps the kids together on this road trip and gives them a chance to continue to build on their developing chemistry.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I'm encouraged by his recent games. It seems to me that Jost has really upped his compete level. Obviously he was never going to drop them with McQ but to stand up for himself and push back was a welcome sight. Hopefully Bednar keeps the kids together on this road trip and gives them a chance to continue to build on their developing chemistry.

Next season or really soon we will not have a 2nd line anymore. Media will call us, 1A and 1B line if we draft a good top forward available with Ottawa pick and then talk to Barrie agent, if things don't work out, we can trade Barrie for a top 6 forward. We will then have two 1st lines. We will be a competitive team really soon and this forum will be filled with many fair weather fans that like to be here only when we will compete. Next season we will start to compete and Makar will play for us next season and I expect Timmins if healthy will be playing in NHL next season.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Yesterday, today, tomorrow.

Would Philly? Never.

I agree with you and Petagonia on the subject of Barrie and many other subjects but are you sure you want to trade Tyson Jost for a player like Nolan Patrick who only has 11 points in 33 games so far with 5 goals and 6 assists. (I believe Patrick scored one of his goals against us). I would still be hesitant to trade Jost. Sakic would probably laugh at your comment if he would have read this forum.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I agree with you and Petagonia on the subject of Barrie and many other subjects but are you sure you want to trade Tyson Jost for a player like Nolan Patrick who only has 11 points in 33 games so far with 5 goals and 6 assists. (I believe Patrick scored one of his goals against us). I would still be hesitant to trade Jost. Sakic would probably laugh at your comment if he would have read this forum.

This really isn't worth debating. Both players were drafted high, both players are still young, both players are not currently meeting expectations. But there's a huge difference between 2nd overall and 10th overall. In any event, this isn't happening anytime soon, or ever.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Lol I don't get this. You scoff at acquiring Nolan Patrick's 5 goals and 6 assists in 33 games due to Tyson Jost's otherworldly 6 goals and 8 assists in 38 games?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I believe most of us would drive Jost to Airport in a trade for Patrick.

Jost does work hard and has skills, but nothing elite. Skating is decent, but just not enough to separate himself. Strength is on the smallish side and gets pushed around unless he has speed which he lacks. Patrick has size and speed, but is injury prone.

There is no chance the Flyers or any team would move Patrick so soon.

Reactions: Foppberg

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
Anybody notice how Jost was getting his legs pumping much harder early in the game, and carrying his speed through the zone better? Not coincidentally it led to him looking much more involved in the play, and then being in position to get his first goal. Then the confidence boost helped him get his second goal on a nice deflection.

Hopefully he can keep his legs moving the way he was in this game, and carry that confidence over to the next few games.
I thought he stunk again. Just didn't see anything that made me think he's improved at all. Not even flashes. I get he's young but he's junk

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I thought he stunk again. Just didn't see anything that made me think he's improved at all. Not even flashes. I get he's young but he's junk

Two goals and a lot more jump in his game and he was still junk?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad