Tyson Jost

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I tend to agree with most of the assessments on Jost.

His heart seems to be in the right place, but his confidence is a mess. Just can't get any lucky bounces or any fortunate opportunities in his game. Watching players like Kerfoot getting goals bouncing off his butt, Compher always getting hit by pucks and even Ghetto/Nieto disrupting passes for breakaways.

Jost either has terrible luck or there is something wrong in his play. He might never reach the expected level of his draft position, but he needs confidence.

Too early to consider him a bust, but he should remain a Winger. Wait until the off season after the draft and signings of UFAs. Partner with a strong 2C, he could rebuild his confidence and become a successful player.

The difference I see there is that Compher and Kerfoot are getting into those dirty areas in front of the net, I don't really see Jost doing this when he's playing. Even someone like Dries (who I think is fine, compared to what others here think) goes to those areas and has gotten rewarded with a few goals.

If we get anything good out of Jost in a top 6 role I think it will be if we end up trading for a legit top 6 player for him to play with and can open things up for him a bit to get his confidence going. I don't want to give up on him yet but I just haven't seen much that shows me he'll be a top 6 player.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The difference I see there is that Compher and Kerfoot are getting into those dirty areas in front of the net, I don't really see Jost doing this when he's playing. Even someone like Dries (who I think is fine, compared to what others here think) goes to those areas and has gotten rewarded with a few goals.

If we get anything good out of Jost in a top 6 role I think it will be if we end up trading for a legit top 6 player for him to play with and can open things up for him a bit to get his confidence going. I don't want to give up on him yet but I just haven't seen much that shows me he'll be a top 6 player.

Bingo. When he starts doing this he will start producing.

Reactions: klozge

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
Maybe Jost just need a change of scenery like Domi. Playing on the 4th line isn’t going to help him...here to hoping he doesn’t become broken like Bigras...

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
His shots the last three or four games have been getting worse and worse. They’re nowhere near the net. His confidence seems to be completely gone. Really hope he can turn it around.

Reactions: klozge

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I for sure think it is insanely early to write off Jost, but I am starting to see the complaints - the lad isn't even winning a freakin' board battle out there. How do his indiviudal corsi/analytic numbers look because they must be bad from the eye test?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Send him down to the AHL for the rest of the season or trade him if anyone is willing to give up good value. The Avs rushed Jost to the NHL and it shows.

Last edited:

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I for sure think it is insanely early to write off Jost, but I am starting to see the complaints - the lad isn't even winning a freakin' board battle out there. How do his indiviudal corsi/analytic numbers look because they must be bad from the eye test?
And that's what I find so strange. Jost was great at protecting or acquiring the puck at the beginning of the season but somehow he has forgotten everything he knew in this regard.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
It seems the Avs usually learn from their mistakes so hopefully they realize that every 1st rounder can't be on the Rantanen D+1 path. Unless it's blatantly obvious that the player should be in the NHL, play him with the Eagles and don't graduate him until he shows that he's confident and ready.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I think guys like Gozz or Tomatoe would be more useful than Jost just now. And Kaut when he gets back from WJC.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Draft Analyst | Draft Profile: Tyson Jost

An old scouting report on TJ.

I see the tenacity...but...speed?

Not real unusual to see that... you see it every year with prospect reports. It is difficult to determine average skating from great at lower levels. They can look like great skaters, but in the NHL everybody is a great skater and players tend to fall back to the crowd. You'll likely see the exact same with Alex Newhook this year. Lots of praise on his skating, only to find out in a few years that it is average at the NHL level.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Bednar needs to healthy scratch Jost next game. He has 1 assist with a -7 his last 13 games.

There have been times this season where Jost has been doing good things while not scoring. This is not one of those times.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Send him down to the AHL for the rest of the season or trade him if anyone is willing to give up good value. The Avs rushed Jost to the NHL and it shows.

Exactly this. Its incredible that he hasn't been sent down already. A real travesty to his development if you ask me. He is doing absolutely nothing and whether he lacks talent, maturity, IQ or all of the above. I can't fathom why its a good idea to truck him out there night after night. His confidence has got to be shot. Send him to the A for at least the rest of the season. Call up Greer and give him some legitimate games on the 3rd or 4th line, his production in the A warrants some invested evaluation not the short stints he's been getting.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That is asking a NHL to admit a mistake in rushing a prospect 1.5 seasons in... they don't do that...

IMO the AHL would only give Jost a confidence boost. It doesn't address the real issue in his game.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Exactly this. Its incredible that he hasn't been sent down already. A real travesty to his development if you ask me. He is doing absolutely nothing and whether he lacks talent, maturity, IQ or all of the above. I can't fathom why its a good idea to truck him out there night after night. His confidence has got to be shot. Send him to the A for at least the rest of the season. Call up Greer and give him some legitimate games on the 3rd or 4th line, his production in the A warrants some invested evaluation not the short stints he's been getting.

I think the reasons for his struggles have been pointed out enough. He’s an average skater with average size. He has decent shot but doesn’t have the skating to get separation enough to utilize it enough. He has good hockey IQ, but not enough to make up for his lack of any stand out skill.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I agree with sending him down. Call up Kaut for 9 games, and let's see what he's got. He can't do worse than Jost, and even if he sucks, we can still see his game, and not have to watch Jost play hockey.

Jost has 11 pts and 50 shots in 35 games. Most of those games were played on a team that was top 3 offensively in the league. He's as close to useless as he can be.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I agree with sending him down. Call up Kaut for 9 games, and let's see what he's got. He can't do worse than Jost, and even if he sucks, we can still see his game, and not have to watch Jost play hockey.

Jost has 11 pts and 50 shots in 35 games. Most of those games were played on a team that was top 3 offensively in the league. He's as close to useless as he can be.

That is a pretty bad idea... for one Kaut is in the WJC right now. Second, don't rush another prospect so the fans can get a glimpse into the future. That is partially what caused this Jost situation...

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think his skating is average. The only guy who looks slower out there is Soderberg, and I'm not entirely certain of that. He looks about three steps behind everyone else. What's more, he's not winning any battles for the puck even in those situations where he's able to get to the play on time.

This is not just a crisis of confidence, though that's not helping things. They should send him down at the very least but I don't think that'll fix what I think are very fundamental issues.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
That is a pretty bad idea... for one Kaut is in the WJC right now. Second, don't rush another prospect so the fans can get a glimpse into the future. That is partially what caused this Jost situation...
I know he's at the WJC lol I'm talking about when he gets back. A 9 game trial is standard for prospects. We're going to see it at some point this season, might aswell send Jost down at the same time.

Unless of course Jost improves between now and when Kaut gets back from Vancouver, but he won't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad