Tyson Jost

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
He wasn't slow before but I think he's improved to find that extra top end seperation gear. He's utilized this on rushes and power plays that he didn't his first year and that's been part of his success this year.
He's always been fast. Jost and Rantanen haven't.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Another hot-take, likely-wrong prediction: Tyson Jost will be moved this season for some other struggling prospect, much like the Elliott/Gormley or Wolski/Mueller swaps, which were of course both with the same team. Which player that could be, don't know.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Another hot-take, likely-wrong prediction: Tyson Jost will be moved this season for some other struggling prospect, much like the Elliott/Gormley or Wolski/Mueller swaps, which were of course both with the same team. Which player that could be, don't know.

I think it's probably a little early for that. Think about how far afterwards those those happened. I could see it next season, but not this one.

Maybe if there was an obvious fit somewhere, but I don't see it.

I could definitely see him moved in a deal for a more experienced player though.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The more I see, the more concerned I get. I just don't see how he gets noticeably faster than he already is. Even with the work he's put in last offseason to improve his skating he looks abysmally slow out there.

And before anyone else repeats it as an argument, yes, I know how old he is.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
IMO Jost might get a very slight bit quicker from some tweaking to his workouts, but it won't be large enough to make a difference. There just isn't a fundamental flaw in his stride to be corrected. From there it is more about quick twitch muscles than pure strength. I do believe that if Jost dropped 10-15 pounds his skating would improve... but again don't know if it will be enough. I'm not down on him like @Pokecheque here, but the skating here is a large red flag.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I don't pretend to be decent at scouting or breaking down players strengths or flaws in any meaningful way...there are plenty of folks around here that seem pretty good at it. I'm just a fan of hockey and enjoy watching it.

As for Jost....I'm not sure what "it" is, but I don't see him having "it." I don't see a bad player or scrub by any means, I just don't see anything special enough to be excited about his future on the second line of a good team.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I just think if there was an added gear, we'd already see it. If there were great hands, we'd see them. If there was a top-level hockey IQ that offset the severe lack of speed, it would've manifested by now. And even the shot isn't really impressing me. I think he'll round out to be a decent defensive forward, and not much more. Feel free to put me on blast or ignore, your choice, but he just looks very marginal to me.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I just don't think the Jost issues are nearly as massive as some feel. Though I don't have huge expectations for him. 40-50ish point winger who's good defensively. Nice complimentary piece in the top 6 or great 3rd liner.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Jost was rushed to the NHL. Should have played at least 1 year in AHL. He's only 20. He's still learning. His body is still growing/developing physically. ****, it took MacKinnon 4 1/2 years to figure **** out. There's no reason to panic and trade him now.

Mackinnon was still a top 6 player and useful when he was struggling Jost has been pretty invisible outside of a couple games. Not saying we should trade him or that he won’t improve. But I can see why people are genuinely concerned at this point.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Even if he were "developing" we'd be seeing signs of something more. I'm not seeing any of them.

And I'd be less concerned with his lack of speed if he seemed just a step behind. It's way, way more pronounced than that. He's moving around the same pace as Soderberg, but doesn't have the size, physicality, release, or veteran hockey IQ to make up for it.

Was he rushed? Yep. Sure was. But I don't think what we're seeing can all be chalked up to that.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Even if he were "developing" we'd be seeing signs of something more. I'm not seeing any of them.

And I'd be less concerned with his lack of speed if he seemed just a step behind. It's way, way more pronounced than that. He's moving around the same pace as Soderberg, but doesn't have the size, physicality, release, or veteran hockey IQ to make up for it.

Was he rushed? Yep. Sure was. But I don't think what we're seeing can all be chalked up to that.

That's not necessarily true. He's just in a funk and his confidence is clearly shot right now. Every time he gets the puck he hesitates and overthinks what he should do, and it usually results in turnover. You're not going to see many positives from any player with a lack of confidence like that.

He's also still not moving his feet enough. He coasts way too much for what he can get away with. I'm not sure why the coaches haven't tried to break him of this habit, it doesn't seem like he's conscious of it.

All of that could change during or after a season though. That's why you shouldn't read too much into success or lack thereof for young players. Things can go back and forth from season to season.

Look at Compher. This time last year, how many people thought he'd be scoring at a 35 goal pace over a full season? And he's three years older than Jost.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Bednar talks about players moving their feet all the time and often cites it when they're playing poorly. They also have Shawn Allard and Tracy Tutton on-staff who are likely harping on this as well. I don't think it's a coaching issue.

Players who skate poorly often look like they're coasting a lot. Check out John Tavares on the rush. I've never seen anyone who moves his feet less and does more with his hands. It's really astounding. About the only guy I can recall who couldn't skate worth a damn and always hustled everywhere he went was Ossi Vaananen. Watching him live chugging full-blast for a loose puck was hilarious. It was like he was on an ice treadmill or something. :laugh:

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I’ve seen plenty of flashes from jost. From an above average release, to great vision and puck distribution in tight. Bursts of agility. The problem is that he’s only shown it in small doses. Needs to figure out how to bring it every shift instead of every few games. Worst case scenario he doesn’t find that offensive consistency and becomes a fine 3rd liner. That’s still a player the team needs

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
And I'll say again about Compher and Jost (and also Kerfoot). Even when he clearly had some kinks to work out of his game, J.T. was still plenty quick on his skates. So was Kerf. The pronounced difference in their skating ability vs. Jost can't just be chalked up to the added NCAA shakedown time those two guys had IMO. I also don't think it's just confidence but he's definitely not playing with any right now.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like a broken record. I remain a very hard skeptic at this point on his long-term NHL prospects. Hopefully he changes my mind, but there has to be some big concerns in the organization right now.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Bednar talks about players moving their feet all the time and often cites it when they're playing poorly. They also have Shawn Allard and Tracy Tutton on-staff who are likely harping on this as well. I don't think it's a coaching issue.

Players who skate poorly often look like they're coasting a lot. Check out John Tavares on the rush. I've never seen anyone who moves his feet less and does more with his hands. It's really astounding. About the only guy I can recall who couldn't skate worth a damn and always hustled everywhere he went was Ossi Vaananen. Watching him live chugging full-blast for a loose puck was hilarious. It was like he was on an ice treadmill or something. :laugh:

Yakupov

Reactions: Pokecheque

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I tend to agree with most of the assessments on Jost.

His heart seems to be in the right place, but his confidence is a mess. Just can't get any lucky bounces or any fortunate opportunities in his game. Watching players like Kerfoot getting goals bouncing off his butt, Compher always getting hit by pucks and even Ghetto/Nieto disrupting passes for breakaways.

Jost either has terrible luck or there is something wrong in his play. He might never reach the expected level of his draft position, but he needs confidence.

Too early to consider him a bust, but he should remain a Winger. Wait until the off season after the draft and signings of UFAs. Partner with a strong 2C, he could rebuild his confidence and become a successful player.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
I know he's only 20 and what not but the guy just isn't cutting it out there. Loses almost every single board battle, flubs shots more than the average, is incredibly inconsistent, and looks like a boy against men on most nights. He's supposed to have this great shot but he can't get into open areas because he just gets out muscled on a nightly basis. Kerfoot is small but he's agile, can slip through the D and can see the ice much better than Jost and that makes up for his smaller stature. JTC is a pest bulldog who hounds the puck with his speed and grit.

I just don't know about the guy anymore. It's one thing to not produce points consistently but it's another thing entirely with him. Most nights he just looks completely ineffective and produces absolutely nothing in terms of chances or quality shots. He doesn't drive plays, he kills them.

He's only 20 but I'm not liking what I'm seeing out there. Kerfoot has the vision that sets him apart and JTC has the tenacity but I don't know what Jost offers. That's my main issue right there. I like his defensive game but that's just not enough.

Kerfoot for how small he is, crashes the net and goes for it. Jost just floats if he's not moving his feet.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

The arguments I had on here with people who didnt think he needed to go to the A. I want our players to over ripe. I still believe that that one year in the A was huge for Rantanen. I didnt see why Jost didnt need to go the same route. But like you said it might have helped but there are other things about his game that even if he were to go to the A that im not sure would translate to the NHL.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I tend to agree with most of the assessments on Jost.

His heart seems to be in the right place, but his confidence is a mess. Just can't get any lucky bounces or any fortunate opportunities in his game. Watching players like Kerfoot getting goals bouncing off his butt, Compher always getting hit by pucks and even Ghetto/Nieto disrupting passes for breakaways.

Jost either has terrible luck or there is something wrong in his play. He might never reach the expected level of his draft position, but he needs confidence.

Too early to consider him a bust, but he should remain a Winger. Wait until the off season after the draft and signings of UFAs. Partner with a strong 2C, he could rebuild his confidence and become a successful player.
When he moves his feet he creates. When he doesnt hes a phantom. I would also love for him to be around the net alot more. He doesnt get his nose n=dirty enough for my liking. If Kerfoot can take it to the paint with authority there is no reason why Jost cant.

Reactions: klozge

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That's the thing with him. Jost is average at everything, which wouldn't be so bad if he had size but he doesn't.

So he's undersized and he's an average skater, with an average shot and average hockey IQ. He will get better but his ceiling appears to be pretty low.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
That's the thing with him. Jost is average at everything, which wouldn't be so bad if he had size but he doesn't.

So he's undersized and he's an average skater, with an average shot and average hockey IQ. He will get better but his ceiling appears to be pretty low.
I know everyone is gonna hound us about his age but I see his ceiling as a 3rd line winger. I just do not see much else out of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad