Tyson Jost

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm glad they're using him on PP2 in the "Rantanen" spot, it's allowing him to use what will likely be his bread and butter (apart from his defensive play), his shot. Got some good looks and solid one-timers off too. If he continues to hone that we could see some results in due time.

And that's what's hampering his game right now, the lack of open ice. He's just not a battler along the boards as much as he tries to be one. If he can be the guy who maneuvers into shooting lanes and takes plenty of shots we'll likely see what the Avs were envisioning when they took him in the first round. I think we can all agree he's never gonna be the guy who can do the heavy lifting on a line, but under the right circumstances could yet be very productive with a guy out there (like, I dunno, Soderberg) creating space and setting him up for scoring opportunities. Mind you, I'm not convinced he'd blossom even under those circumstances but I'd like to at least see what could take place under more ideal conditions.

I agree with those of you who say it's way too early to declare him a "bust" at 20 years of age. But I don't think he's above some sharp criticism at this point either. At least in the Stars game the other night he did a much better job of not turning the puck over in the neutral zone. When faced with a 1-on-1 situation he opted to dump it, which is perfectly fine.

Anyway I wouldn't mind seeing this lineup in the near future, pie-in-the-sky as it is...

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Kerfoot - Soderberg - Jost (and that's another thing, put him on RW, not LW)
Nieto - Compher - Calvert
Wilson - Dries - Andrighetto

Reactions: ljb4

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Jost is three years younger than Compher, and this is J.T's fourth profession season (to Jost's second), so it's hard to compare the two.

The 3 years younger you are spot on... but their professional experience is relatively similar. Compher has 107 NHL games, Jost has 100. Both have played in 3 professional seasons, but Compher got an extra 41 games of AHL duty.

I don't think people should be writing Jost off or calling him a bust, but in a +3 season, criticism should start coming in especially for forwards. I mean you see many posters around here calling Crouse a bust because he hasn't broken out to this point (and I feel criticism is perfectly fair, but bust is a bit strong)... he is just in his +4 season. Jost has some issues, and personally, I think they all stem from his skating. I don't think is as easy as to say he needs to bulk up or get stronger... he just needs to be stronger on his skates and that is different to me than pure strength. I worry about Jost bulking up to the point where his skating is hurt further. I don't think he can be an effective skater at 200-205. I'd actually much rather he slim down to 180 and try to get an extra step than bulk up.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
The 3 years younger you are spot on... but their professional experience is relatively similar. Compher has 107 NHL games, Jost has 100. Both have played in 3 professional seasons, but Compher got an extra 41 games of AHL duty.

I don't think people should be writing Jost off or calling him a bust, but in a +3 season, criticism should start coming in especially for forwards. I mean you see many posters around here calling Crouse a bust because he hasn't broken out to this point (and I feel criticism is perfectly fair, but bust is a bit strong)... he is just in his +4 season. Jost has some issues, and personally, I think they all stem from his skating. I don't think is as easy as to say he needs to bulk up or get stronger... he just needs to be stronger on his skates and that is different to me than pure strength. I worry about Jost bulking up to the point where his skating is hurt further. I don't think he can be an effective skater at 200-205. I'd actually much rather he slim down to 180 and try to get an extra step than bulk up.
This is Jost's 2nd season :huh: . Stop skewering the facts :sarcasm:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
6 games isn't exactly a season...

Neither is 21 games... in NHL experience Jost and Compher are nearly identical (107 to 100). Total professional games we are talking 154 vs 105. Not exactly a huge difference, especially when what was being portrayed was Compher having 4 seasons and Jost 2. There is a significant age difference, but professional experience is really not a big difference.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Neither is 21 games... in NHL experience Jost and Compher are nearly identical (107 to 100). Total professional games we are talking 154 vs 105. Not exactly a huge difference, especially when what was being portrayed was Compher having 4 seasons and Jost 2. There is a significant age difference, but professional experience is really not a big difference.
Compher was still in college at Jost's age . So your discounting Compher's AHL games as non professional?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Compher was still in college at Jost's age . So your discounting Comphers AHL games as Non professional?

I'm saying the difference is minor at best with regards to experience. Both are around 100 NHL games and NHL experience matters much more than AHL experience. Would you consider Kamenev more experienced simply because he has more professional games?

I haven't discounted the age a single bit. There is a difference there.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I'm saying the difference is minor at best with regards to experience. Both are around 100 NHL games and NHL experience matters much more than AHL experience. Would you consider Kamenev more experienced simply because he has more professional games?

Yes I would count Kamenev's AHL games as experience . That's why they play their , for experience . Would you not count Rantanen's AHL season as experience?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yes I would count Kamenev's AHL games as experience . That's why they play their , for experience . Would you not count Rantanen's AHL season as experience?

So Kamenev is more experienced than Compher?

Of course it counts as experience, but NHL experience trumps all. 100 NHL games means far, far more than 100 AHL games which means far more than 100 WHL games which means more than 100 BCMML games.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I think when it comes to Jost/JTC, age is a bit of a factor. I see JTC as more physically developed whereas Jost could still noticeably improve on multiple things.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
I think when it comes to Jost/JTC, age is a bit of a factor. I see JTC as more physically developed whereas Jost could still noticeably improve on multiple things.
Imo that is because JT had 3 years in the NCAA to Josty's 1 which is a huge difference in getting speed and skill sets down. To say both players have the same amount of experience is jaded at best.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
ATM I have Jost and JTC being pretty similar, both guys I see as solid 2 way middle 6 forwards but not true 2c's. Good guys to have on a team.

Reactions: shadow1

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Compher and Kerfoot are older and played more college hockey to be sure, but they also have one thing Jost does not--speed.

If you think about the way Compher skated when he first broke into the league though, he's fairly quicker now. Jost is going to need to duplicate those kind of improvements.

Reactions: Iracundia

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If you think about the way Compher skated when he first broke into the league though, he's fairly quicker now. Jost is going to need to duplicate those kind of improvements.

Ehhhhh we will see. I'm still seeing a very slow player wearing 17 right now. Even last season Compher was plenty fast.

He was getting some decent separation doing the trademark Sakic back-and-forth early in last night's game, but then the Isles defenders went after him and pinned him against the boards and that was that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Three years more development time isn't a minor difference in experience.

Compher and Jost have a similar amount of NHL experience. Compher is three years older and has three more years of experience than Jost on top of that.

Kamenev's experience compared to Compher isn't the same, since Compher is a year older than Kam.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Ehhhhh we will see. I'm still seeing a very slow player wearing 17 right now. Even last season Compher was plenty fast.

He was getting some decent separation doing the trademark Sakic back-and-forth early in last night's game, but then the Isles defenders went after him and pinned him against the boards and that was that.

I'm not saying he'll be as fast as Compher, I'm saying JTC got quicker. Both him and Mikko did this at the age of 22, so Jost still has time to make improvements.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think JTC improved his speed that much. He was always pretty fast.

He wasn't slow before but I think he's improved to find that extra top end seperation gear. He's utilized this on rushes and power plays that he didn't his first year and that's been part of his success this year.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
He wasn't slow before but I think he's improved to find that extra top end seperation gear. He's utilized this on rushes and power plays that he didn't his first year and that's been part of his success this year.
I think he had it last year as well but he just couldn't finish. Ha had tons of great looks last year due to his speed.

Reactions: Waingro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad