Tyson Jost

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Hot take of the day....JT Compher is better both offensively and defensively than Jost.

Yep not a hot take

I said it in the off-season quite a bit. If JT found a way to dial in his shot he'd take another step. The kid just finds a way to get a couple of prime chances every game. We'll see if it's a hot streak or not, but even if it is hes established himself as a top nine forward IMO.

Reactions: MacBradley

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I don't see too much difference overall between the JTC of last year and the one from this year to be honest. Maybe a bit better defensively but the big difference is he is capitalizing on his chances this year. Last year he had great chances but couldn't finish them. I love this guy though.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So whose knees do I need to cap in order to get JT higher in the lineup? Seriously....the kid is just giving his all...and I fear that is the thing lacking from Jost's game....i'm not seeing hunger and will. Jost is reminding me more of Wolski every day. The talent is there and it is undeniable...but the motor just doesn't appear strong enough to make it work at the NHL level.

I don't want to call him a bust, but i certainly would use him in a trade to help the second line. I'm just not sure how much value he holds around the league. I would love to see a trade-deadline move for a UFA that we wanted to resign. The more I think about it, Hayes for Jost and a conditional first might work. The first would be dependent on the Avs resigning him, and it would be the lower of their two 1st round picks. I'm sure there will be some more garbage involved but I think that the main points of the trade at the deadline could be a Jost vs a RFA/UFA seoncd lined player the AVs have a good chance at resigning.

Does Jost have enough talent and respect around the league to pull something like that off?
Honestly, I don't think he does.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs have the time to be patient with Jost. It took Sedins three full NHL seasons until they started reaching their potential, just because they had to improve their skating and strength.

Whenever I get annoyed with Jost I have to remind myself he's just 20. Not everyone hits the ground running in this league.

I'd rather take the risk of him not ever turning into much here than having him turn into a good NHLer elsewhere because Avs had no patience with him.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
It all went south right after Stewie broke his hand on the thick skull of Kyle Brodziak (who is still in the frickin' league to my astonishment) in that fight. According to Terry Frei the organization soured on him for some off-ice antics that took place while he was on IR. It was never a question of talent or durability with him, merely attitude and work ethic. Conversely, there is no question of Jost's attitude or work ethic.

Good Lord, that 2006 Avs draft class was brutal. 652 total NHL games...and all of them are Stewart's.
The organization soured on him after he was lazy and coasting and wouldn't throw a check during the Sharks series

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The Avs need to be patient with Jost. There is no rush yet. Let's see how he improves during at least the rest of the season and until the TDL next season. If he stagnates they can look at their options then.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Jost gets pushed around and rag dolled too often and too easy. Additional weight/strength???

It's happening more now than it used to. I think it's partially a confidence issue right now. He's hesitant in situations he didn't used to be. He knows he's about to go into a puck battle down low but he basically puts one foot in the pool and keeps the other out. He doesn't commit to getting the puck or winning his physical battle, and it results in him losing both.

Some of this I think is due to shuffling from center to wing and then back to center occasionally. He's overthinking things out there. Sometimes when he gets an outlet pass in the middle of the ice he looks like he doesn't know what to do. This never used to happen before.

He's got the same two issues holding him back that have been holding him back a while now. Skating and confidence. He needs to keep improving his acceleration (probably in the off-season) so he can be more elusive and separate himself from his physical battles, and then the confidence will start to come back. Right now though he just needs to keep battling through it.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Jost gets pushed around and rag dolled too often and too easy. Additional weight/strength???

Jost weighs 191 lbs. For reference, Crosby is the same height and 9 lbs heavier.

An off-season with a legitimate trainer like Roberts to help work on building his core and lower body strength will do him wonders.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Jost weighs 191 lbs. For reference, Crosby is the same height and 9 lbs heavier.

An off-season with a legitimate trainer like Roberts to help work on building his core and lower body strength will do him wonders.

They don't quite have the same body type but I have never thought strength would be the issue for Jost. It's always been speed. Acceleration to break through the neutral zone with the puck, acceleration to separate himself from the defender down low, acceleration to get his shot off before the defender can deflect it, acceleration to open himself up for a pass so he's got time and space to make plays, etc.

He's one step too slow in a lot of these situations right now but as we've seen with Mikko, you can keep improving your acceleration into your 20's.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
They don't quite have the same body type but I have never thought strength would be the issue for Jost. It's always been speed. Acceleration to break through the neutral zone with the puck, acceleration to separate himself from the defender down low, acceleration to get his shot off before the defender can deflect it, acceleration to open himself up for a pass so he's got time and space to make plays, etc.

He's one step too slow in a lot of these situations right now but as we've seen with Mikko, you can keep improving your acceleration into your 20's.

Eh, I personally disagree. Whenever Jost is in open-ice he can make a nice play. Sure more speed would help him convert a good scoring chance into a great scoring chance, but he'd have just as many issues along the boards.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Eh, I personally disagree. Whenever Jost is in open-ice he can make a nice play. Sure more speed would help him convert a good scoring chance into a great scoring chance, but he'd have just as many issues along the boards.

He can and he does sometimes, but sometimes he doesn't. He's got the skill and the poise to make good passes in open ice, but coming through the neutral zone he doesn't back the defenders up enough. They close off on him a little too easily in some situations and it results in turnovers.

Down low, he's never going to be a guy that should be trying to play Landy or Mikko's game. I think he does that a little too much right now. He has the strength already to stay on his skates if he's in a good position with his body, but even that takes that extra little step to put yourself in that position. Otherwise you can find yourself shoulder to shoulder with a much bigger guy and he's going to separate you from the puck pretty easily.

He's got to use a little strength to stay in the puck battle and not get pushed around, but then use elusiveness and acceleration to skate away from the defender with the puck and make plays. That's how all players his size need to play to be successful.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Jost works out under Andy O'Brien's program. For reference, Crosby is Andy's client.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
This post is not directed at anyone in particular but I'm noticing a bunch of Josty haters lately. The guy can't even buy a beer yet and some Avs fans are ready to write him off as a bust? I think I'll give him another year or 2 before I cast judgment. I certainly wish he was better sometimes but I just don't think he is as bad as a lot of people are making him out to be. Jmho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad