Tyson Jost

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
He just strikes me as a guy like TJ Galiardi. He's gonna have a little impact here and there with some good games. But get stuck in the numbers game with the Avs in the future, possibly get traded and fizzle out.

Hoping i'm wrong but his inability to take advantage of the time he's had on the PP and other opportunities isn't encouraging. I get he's only 20, but it's hard to see where his game grows from here.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Galiardi was done in by injuries. There was one forearm/elbow thing in particular that he just never quite recovered from. Before that he was a fantastic two-way utility guy for them, kinda like Colin Wilson with less offense and fewer pratfalls. But I'm glad you brought that guy up--he too had a very promising release that never quite developed for some odd reason.

I dunno...I don't want to go on too long about my consternation regarding his development as I'm likely painting myself into a corner already. I do wish we could see JUST ONCE an extended look at a Jost-Soderberg- Kerfoot line when everyone is healthy and in the lineup. I think that line would still be just as effective defensively and possibly excellent offensively.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Galiardi was done in by injuries. There was one forearm/elbow thing in particular that he just never quite recovered from. Before that he was a fantastic two-way utility guy for them, kinda like Colin Wilson with less offense and fewer pratfalls. But I'm glad you brought that guy up--he too had a very promising release that never quite developed for some odd reason.

I dunno...I don't want to go on too long about my consternation regarding his development as I'm likely painting myself into a corner already. I do wish we could see JUST ONCE an extended look at a Jost-Soderberg- Kerfoot line when everyone is healthy and in the lineup. I think that line would still be just as effective defensively and possibly excellent offensively.

I wanted Ghetto - Soda - Compher myself. Upgrade on Neato but still speedy, and an upgrade oh Calvert/Wilson with speed, grit, and better hands. I think I still would prefer Compher over Kerfoot there, but Jost - Soda - Compher would be a hell of a line if it clicked.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
He just strikes me as a guy like TJ Galiardi. He's gonna have a little impact here and there with some good games. But get stuck in the numbers game with the Avs in the future, possibly get traded and fizzle out.

Hoping i'm wrong but his inability to take advantage of the time he's had on the PP and other opportunities isn't encouraging. I get he's only 20, but it's hard to see where his game grows from here.

Galiardi was looking pretty good before he kept getting injured, a skilled pest. We had a few guys in there that looked good but couldn't stay healthy and gradually dropped off (i.e. Ryan Wilson).

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Galiardi was looking pretty good before he kept getting injured, a skilled pest. We had a few guys in there that looked good but couldn't stay healthy and gradually dropped off (i.e. Ryan Wilson).

Ahh I miss Ryan Wilson when he was at his best. Ryan's numbers compared almost identically to Hjalmarsson for the start to their careers.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

I'd like to see that too.

Trust me i'm a Jost fan and have been. I was really really against trading him this offseason. I just don't think he's shown that much and doesn't really seem to be growing much in his game either. Say Kaut and whoever the Ott 1st is come in, he's only going to get pushed down more.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Don't forget David Jones. He was a fantastic player for the Avs...if only his knees had held up.

I rwmember liking him a lot when he was around, but I didn’t really understand/follow hockey like I do now. All I remember was that he was a really good goal scorer.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
And how about Chris Stewart? He looked like a young Jerome Iginla there for a moment.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
And how about Chris Stewart? He looked like a young Jerome Iginla there for a moment.

It all went south right after Stewie broke his hand on the thick skull of Kyle Brodziak (who is still in the frickin' league to my astonishment) in that fight. According to Terry Frei the organization soured on him for some off-ice antics that took place while he was on IR. It was never a question of talent or durability with him, merely attitude and work ethic. Conversely, there is no question of Jost's attitude or work ethic.

Good Lord, that 2006 Avs draft class was brutal. 652 total NHL games...and all of them are Stewart's.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Don't forget Svatos. His first year (the very injury riddled one where he took off in the playoffs) he was a dangling machine. Then he started getting injured and his game went from an offensive dynamo to a opportunistic goal vulture.

Man, he and Turgeon found some nice chemistry though. What I loved about Svatos was how fearless he was. He was always standing around in front of the net looking for those quick passes.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Man, he and Turgeon found some nice chemistry though. What I loved about Svatos was how fearless he was. He was always standing around in front of the net looking for those quick passes.

Or when he'd try to obliterate much larger dmen. One of my favourite memories of the Avs is Svatty spending entire games trying to run over Pronger.

Reactions: expatriated_texan

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There is a massive talent and hockey IQ gap between Jost and Galiardi/Jones/Stewart.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There is a massive talent and hockey IQ gap between Jost and Galiardi/Jones/Stewart.

Hockey IQ, yes, but I don't think there's a massive gap in terms of talent between Stewart and Jost. Stewie was quite talented, so much so that it, at times, made up for his lack of dedication (especially anything even remotely resembling responsible defensive play) and hockey sense. If it was just a question of talent, Stewie and Wojtek Wolski would still be tearin' it up in the league right now.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hockey IQ, yes, but I don't think there's a massive gap in terms of talent between Stewart and Jost. Stewie was quite talented, so much so that it, at times, made up for his lack of dedication (especially anything even remotely resembling responsible defensive play) and hockey sense. If it was just a question of talent, Stewie and Wojtek Wolski would still be tearin' it up in the league right now.

Have to disagree strongly here. Stewie and Jones had good but inconsistent wrist shots. Stewie was an ok passer as well but not anything special. The puck skills and natural talent aren't close at all really.

I agree talent isn't everything, but I'm not sure that's relevant here since Stewart and Jones haven't tore up the league either.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

What does Jost do that much better than Stewart? Stewart when he was motivated was a damn good power forward.

Edit: He’s definitely better defensively.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What does Jost do that much better than Stewart? Stewart when he was motivated was a damn good power forward.

He was definitely a better power forward but that's not Jost's game or part of the talent aspect we're talking about. Possibly better defensively as well, but I'm not sure that's a fair comparison to make at this point in Jost's career.

Jost is just more naturally talented with his puck skills. He skates better with he puck. He makes more skillful passes between sticks and legs. He has quicker hands down low. He can stick handle in tight much better. I think he has a slightly better shot too, but I think that will take Jost finding himself in more situations to shoot to fully show that off. Stewart had a good shot too, but it's kind of like comparing Iginla to Hejduk. They're a little different in their approach.

Those other aspects though are a big reason why Stewart never stuck as a top 6'er. Along with work ethic of course, but natural skill and vision are a big part of it too.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

Other than being better defensively, Jost really doesn't do much of anything. I'd say he really doesn't add much dynamic to the team.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Exactly. I would take both Wolski and Stewart over Jost if it comes down to talent. Wolski especially was great talent. Didn't have the drive though..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad