Tyson Jost

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I legitimately can't tell if people are trolling or not.

Yeah, the 20 year old Jost is not progressing enough as we have expected maybe due to injuries last year but more to do with Jost not being physically capable to play in NHL. I say give it a year or 2 max. Let Jost physically mature more. Don't listen to those that have already given up on him or want him traded.

Last edited:

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I think Jost is gonna be fine as long as we don't rush him into a role he's not ready for. He already has the toolbox as far as hockey sense is considered, imo that's the primary thing you should be worried about in a prospect's development into the league. A lot of times they aren't allowed an opportunity to grow their mind into the high level pace of the NHL, I don't think that's Jost's problem. He lacks some physical tools at the moment but that's something he can work and grow into as he physically matures, he's only 20 after all. Once that happens, I can see him being a solid 2 way 2nd liner with success on the pp. I know our team is growing at a rate much faster than a lot of us expected but we have to remember we still have plenty of developing to do, and still have guys like Makar, Kaut, Bowers, and an OTT 1st round pick coming in; if we can wait on them, we should be patient with Jost too.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I think Jost is gonna be fine as long as we don't rush him into a role he's not ready for.
Too late we already did. Jost should have stayed in North Dakota for one extra year or played in the AHL. He was thrown into a scoring role in the NHL before he was ready. I think it has had an effect on his development.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If Jost ends up only being a 30 point player that means I’d be wrong. That would mean almost every poster here was wrong about him.

Kudos to you for your honesty. I'm not sure that would be the case for all involved. Given your honesty I think it's genuine on your part, but the 50 point winger idea feels like a backtrack most of the time when I see it brought up. I had never seen that projection among his critics until recently.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Kudos to you for your honesty. I'm not sure that would be the case for all involved. Given your honesty I think it's genuine on your part, but the 50 point winger idea feels like a backtrack most of the time when I see it brought up. I had never seen that projection among his critics until recently.

I think I have been pretty consistent on my projection of him. 2nd line winger, which I’d say basically is a ~50 pt player.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

*shrug* my comp from day 1 was an early-Minny-era Parise; which would be a ~55 point winger

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
If Jost ends up only being a 30 point player that means I’d be wrong. That would mean almost every poster here was wrong about him.
Yep. Not every poster but you and many more definitely. There are many of you that gets crazy thrilled over nothing (Jost, Kamenev...):laugh:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think he's necessarily proving me right or the people still invested heavily wrong, but last night was kind of a microcosm of what I find problematic about his game. His lack of top-end speed is apparent, and his lack of size and the ability to fight through checks is another obvious issue, but what concerns me is that he doesn't process the game fast enough to counteract those other two issues. I also don't see nearly enough when he's trying to move the puck on open ice. He's far too easily beaten 1-on-1 and doesn't do nearly enough to protect the puck. I really want to see more of that shot, but part of the issue is that he doesn't read the play well enough nor does he have enough size/strength to get in a position to use it. I think with better linemates we'd see better, but...I'm not seeing an impact player in-the-making here.

Yes, yes, I know, he's only 20. But right now all I'm seeing is Ryan Strome, who was another high-end pick who just sorta petered out into a generic third line guy.

I'm just gonna be honest with y'all...I'm getting a little tired of feeling the need to pad my consternation over his development because of the anticipated blowback (however justified) I'll receive over this. So I'll just say this once more--I would LOVE for him to prove me wrong. But I don't think he will. And I also think he needs to become an impact player in his own right. Just being an "okay" player is not good enough. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time. But I think this is gonna be one of the few true whiffs of the Hepple era. Only time will tell if I was way too hasty to make this declaration.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I don't think he's necessarily proving me right or the people still invested heavily wrong, but last night was kind of a microcosm of what I find problematic about his game. His lack of top-end speed is apparent, and his lack of size and the ability to fight through checks is another obvious issue, but what concerns me is that he doesn't process the game fast enough to counteract those other two issues. I also don't see nearly enough when he's trying to move the puck on open ice. He's far too easily beaten 1-on-1 and doesn't do nearly enough to protect the puck. I really want to see more of that shot, but part of the issue is that he doesn't read the play well enough nor does he have enough size/strength to get in a position to use it. I think with better linemates we'd see better, but...I'm not seeing an impact player in-the-making here.

Yes, yes, I know, he's only 20. But right now all I'm seeing is Ryan Strome, who was another high-end pick who just sorta petered out into a generic third line guy.

I'm just gonna be honest with y'all...I'm getting a little tired of feeling the need to pad my consternation over his development because of the anticipated blowback (however justified) I'll receive over this. So I'll just say this once more--I would LOVE for him to prove me wrong. But I don't think he will. And I also think he needs to become an impact player in his own right. Just being an "okay" player is not good enough. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time. But I think this is gonna be one of the few true whiffs of the Hepple era. Only time will tell if I was way too hasty to make this declaration.

I guess that's an interesting take on it. For me, there were a few shifts he had in the 1st period that I thought were poor and I thought he bounced back well in the mid-2nd and 3rd periods and did some good things out there. I don't share your opinion overall but it's good to get a different take. I thought he was unlucky with the shot that squeaked through Koskinen and rolled just wide and the point-blank, 'look what I found' save by Koskinen late in the 3rd was ridiculous. He could have easily had a couple of goals which would have helped for his confidence but at least he's getting chances.

I tend to look beyond that though because while it's a good sign the chances are there, I'm more interested in his global game. I do think you're right about the 1-on-1 and he's going to have to work on that but I do like his board play overall. I'd like to see him paired up with Soderberg, there have been a few shifts this year when Soda's gotten on before Jost had gotten off and they seemed to have some chemistry together. Bednar won't probably try it but it would be nice to see him get to play with some different players.

The Ryan Strome comparison is ...I dunno what to say about that. It's not close. Let's not forget that at the start of the year, Jost was put in the #2C spot for the first 8 games and practically everyone agreed that he acquitted himself quite well. Even though we were winning all people kept complaining about was the secondary scoring that was missing. The Avs need to figure out how they want to bring him along. For me, I'd probably put Soda as the defacto #2C and Jost as the #3C and bring him along like they did with ROR. Little by little giving him more responsibility but that's just me.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I guess that's an interesting take on it. For me, there were a few shifts he had in the 1st period that I thought were poor and I thought he bounced back well in the mid-2nd and 3rd periods and did some good things out there. I don't share your opinion overall but it's good to get a different take. I thought he was unlucky with the shot that squeaked through Koskinen and rolled just wide and the point-blank, 'look what I found' save by Koskinen late in the 3rd was ridiculous. He could have easily had a couple of goals which would have helped for his confidence but at least he's getting chances.

I tend to look beyond that though because while it's a good sign the chances are there, I'm more interested in his global game. I do think you're right about the 1-on-1 and he's going to have to work on that but I do like his board play overall. I'd like to see him paired up with Soderberg, there have been a few shifts this year when Soda's gotten on before Jost had gotten off and they seemed to have some chemistry together. Bednar won't probably try it but it would be nice to see him get to play with some different players.

The Ryan Strome comparison is ...I dunno what to say about that. It's not close. Let's not forget that at the start of the year, Jost was put in the #2C spot for the first 8 games and practically everyone agreed that he acquitted himself quite well. Even though we were winning all people kept complaining about was the secondary scoring that was missing. The Avs need to figure out how they want to bring him along. For me, I'd probably put Soda as the defacto #2C and Jost as the #3C and bring him along like they did with ROR. Little by little giving him more responsibility but that's just me.

That save on Jost in the 3rd was ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

At the beginning of the year he looked good at C defensively, but was an absolute black hole offensively. Coming back from injury and playing on the wing really looked to improve his game all around. I really like him on the wing and think he should hopefully continue taking steps as the season goes along.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That's all fair. I made the Strome comparison because:
1. Both are not stellar skaters. Speed is not their forte.
2. Both have a rep for good two-way play.
3. Both were drafted relatively high and at least one of them failed expectations.

I don't think Strome is a bust necessarily because he's still a legit NHL player, he's just kinda...there. There's nothing particularly great about any aspect of his game. That's the same feeling I get about Jost right now. It's not about specific styles of play, just that there's enough similarity between the two players that I felt, and still feel, the comparison was apt. If the similarity doesn't hold, so be it. I don't think he's already hit the same wall Strome did, but I do think he's on the same trajectory. I don't see Jost as a total bust at all, even this early on. He can play in the NHL. It's just how far his ceiling is. Right now I think it's a lot lower than some others on this board and that's okay.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Strome? Good two way? Never heard that before.

Rangers Acquire Ryan Strome: What To Know. - The Runner Sports

There are multiple references to how smart of hockey player he is through his career. He seems to play to his strengths and read plays well. He limits turnovers and, more importantly, can play great defense. He might lack the pure ability to be an elite defender, but he actively looks to defend the slot and serves as an excellent penalty killer. That may be a big part of why Rangers are interested in him. The Rangers are 21st in penalty kill with lots of room for improvement.

The "generic" remark comes from Jonathan Willis from The Athletic who labeled him as a "generic third line forward." Any time I've seen the guy I see a player who's at least capable in all three zones but just doesn't stand out in any one respect. He's not horrid defensively, not great either. Scores sometimes, not a lot of times. So on and so forth. Anyway, not gonna beat a dead horse, I made the comparison, so be it if I'm off, but I don't think I am, at least thus far. Jost has it within him (hopefully) to surpass that mark, I think we have now seen Strome's ceiling.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Jost isn’t a completely useless player... just cuz he won’t be a big time elite player doesn’t mean we can’t be excited about what he’ll bring in the future.
That said he's not doing much of anything useful in any games. He's just kind of Tysoning around.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
That said he's not doing much of anything useful in any games. He's just kind of Tysoning around.

When he was at C he was playing pretty well defensively but bad offensively. When he came back from injury he was pretty good offensively. But yeah the last few games he’s been pretty average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->