Tyson Jost

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Jost and Kerfoot need to gain some muscle. They are both charmin soft along the boards and are free takeaways waiting to happen under pressure. Jost has been playing better lately but I can no longer look past that glaring fault. They BOTH lose board battles about 98% of the time.

Since teams have been playing us more physical, those two have been non-existent. They can't deal with physical pressure and need to get stronger.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Jost and Kerfoot need to gain some muscle. They are both charmin soft along the boards and are free takeaways waiting to happen under pressure. Jost has been playing better lately but I can no longer look past that glaring fault. They BOTH lose board battles about 98% of the time.

Since teams have been playing us more physical, those two have been non-existent. They can't deal with physical pressure and need to get stronger.
Jost, maybe I can see it happening. It's not going to with Kerfoot, though. This is who he is, and likely always will be.

Reactions: flyfysher and cgf

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Jost is an average 3rd liner at this point. Some growth should be expected but I don't see that much upside tbh.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Really not that hard to find out there. ;) This is one of many:

A New Look at Aging Curves for NHL Skaters (part 1)

Jost is on the part of the curve where the climb should start happening. Not that it has already happened, but should start. Next year he should climb dramatically if he is to progress the way most do.

As an example look at the 2015 draft. The breakout year for most was last year... Rants, Barzal, Aho, Connor, Boeser, etc all broke out. This is that year for the 2016 kids. Next year will be that for the 2017 kids. It isn't their peak, as that will come later, but it is their normal progression.

FWIW I still believe that another offseason of working on his body...a 1b C to play off of, and Kaut or the OTT pick on the other wing of that line...will get Jost pushing for 60 next season if Bednar can put such a line together to start the campaign & scoring stays up. He still shows plenty of flashes of the exciting things he did in North Dakota. It just doesn't quite work yet & he gets pushed around too easily.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Jost is 20. He hasn’t gotten his man strength yet. Mikko just got his this season and Mikko is part ogre. Not everyone can hulk out at 19 like MacK & Landy did.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Jost is 20. He hasn’t gotten his man strength yet. Mikko just got his this season and Mikko is part ogre. Not everyone can hulk out at 19 like MacK & Landy did.
He also put up 20 goals his first NHL season. 84pts his 2nd.

Jost isn’t even close.

Reactions: BleedWell

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He also put up 20 goals his first NHL season. 84pts his 2nd.

Jost isn’t even close.

That’s nice...has nothing to do with the post you quoted though. I was talking about Jost’s physical development & strength in that post. Not his production nor even his skillset.

Reactions: Foppberg

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I feel like this driving a line idea is overused for analyzing many players outside determining who the best in the world are. Most second line players in the NHL are reliant on their line mates for their success in some fashion.

Jost spent one year at UND too and it was as a freshman. He outscored Boesser and was only behind Shane Gersich on the team in scoring, who played more games than he did.

Before that he put up 104 points in 48 games with Penticton. Second only to Scott Conway on the team in scoring, who hasn't put up huge numbers with Providence. Not sure how much they played together but the next closest forward had 38 fewer points.

Its more about watching his game. He is not a bad player, dont get me wrong, but he is missing that "thing" that makes player special, and I just dont think he has that gear to his game. My real point is that he/the team needs someone else to get that 2nd line to be just a bit more a of a factor in games.

It does not happen often, but when the top line gets frustrated or slowed down, the team is basically dead in the water.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
If you’re Joe and considering all things, the window for Jost being a success with the Avs is fairly small.

Joe has to consider that he might fall short of being the player they’d hoped. Joe also has to consider he might exceed expectations and think about how much it costs to keep him.

Then you have what kind of player Joe realistically thinks he will become. He has to consider the timeline to get there and the possibility that a similar player, already at that level, might become available in trade, especially on a reasonable contract.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Jost will be fine. He’s gonna be a good 2nd line winger for us going forward and there’s nothing wrong with that. But as Pokecheque said, there isn’t one thing that really “pops” or sticks out when he plays. His skating is alright. His shoot is good, but not elite. Passing is good, but by elite. Hockey sense is good but not elite. Defensively he’s good, but not elite. Size wise he’s average or so. There just isn’t a special skill he brings to the table and that’s gonna keep him from being an elite player. But I am incredibly confident in him being a good 2nd line winger.

Personally I was never expecting him to be elite at anything. That shouldn’t be the bar for him IMO. Certainly not at 20.

Take Landy for example. He’s elite defensively for a winger, but offensively he’s not really elite at anything. His skating, his shot, his passing, his vision. He's not elite in these areas but he's really good at all of them. Which has led him to being a pretty consistent ~60 point guy which is pretty good production for a a guy that also contributes defensively and has some grit to his game.

Jost has a much different style, and I’m not saying he’ll get to Landy’s level, but he has a similar all around game that he brings to the table.

Stastny and Soderberg are other examples of this. They’re not really elite in any one area, they’re just good in a lot of areas. When guys with really good all around games are also good at a lot of things offensively, they can be really important players for a team, even though they're not elite at anything.

I also feel like Jost’s shot, passing, and vision are underrated by some. He’s just not always finding himself in the right situations to show them off often enough. That’s why you might not have seen him display his skills and vision much. There have been moments where he has a high level for both, he's just not doing it often enough.

That gets back to the idea that if he can keep working on his skating, and find that extra separation gear, I think everything will fall into place. That’s why it always seems like he’s on the verge of making a really good play, but doesn’t quite pull it off.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Its more about watching his game. He is not a bad player, dont get me wrong, but he is missing that "thing" that makes player special, and I just dont think he has that gear to his game. My real point is that he/the team needs someone else to get that 2nd line to be just a bit more a of a factor in games.

It does not happen often, but when the top line gets frustrated or slowed down, the team is basically dead in the water.

I don’t necessarily disagree with your assessment of him at the moment. I think where I see it differently than some is that his performance as a 19 and 20 year old shouldn’t define what level he can get to in his career.

Most of these things about not having “it” or not having an elite shot/pass, I think might be setting the bar higher than it needs to be for him. You can still be a really good 2nd line player in the NHL, without being a driving force on a line that can make things happen on your own.

If he can find that extra gear in his skating, I guarantee you everyone will feel differently about whether he has that special aspect to his game that other tweener types don’t. The only thing holding him back from breaking out is that extra separation gear, and at 20 he can still improve that, the way Mikko did this year at 22.

He’s lost some confidence for sure too, and that’s part of what is giving him problems, but that would go away as well if he can develop that extra little step in his acceleration.

I think there's a misconception that the player he is now, and the skating ability he has now at 20, are the same levels he'll be at in his prime, and throughout his career. This thought process doesn't get applied to evaluating other 20 year olds. It shouldn't apply to evaluating Jost either.

Reactions: Tommy G

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Personally I was never expecting him to be elite at anything. That shouldn’t be the bar for him IMO. Certainly not at 20.

Take Landy for example. He’s elite defensively for a winger, but offensively he’s not really elite at anything. His skating, his shot, his passing, his vision. He's not elite in these areas but he's really good at all of them. Which has led him to being a pretty consistent ~60 point guy which is pretty good production for a a guy that also contributes defensively and has some grit to his game.

Jost has a much different style, and I’m not saying he’ll get to Landy’s level, but he has a similar all around game that he brings to the table.

Stastny and Soderberg are other examples of this. They’re not really elite in any one area, they’re just good in a lot of areas. When guys with really good all around games are also good at a lot of things offensively, they can be really important players for a team, even though they're not elite at anything.

I also feel like Jost’s shot, passing, and vision are underrated by some. He’s just not always finding himself in the right situations to show them off often enough. That’s why you might not have seen him display his skills and vision much. There have been moments where he has a high level for both, he's just not doing it often enough.

That gets back to the idea that if he can keep working on his skating, and find that extra separation gear, I think everything will fall into place. That’s why it always seems like he’s on the verge of making a really good play, but doesn’t quite pull it off.
Dead on.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Agreed...not at all my intention to play "Oh what could have been" as you could play that game with virtually every draft pick any team makes with very rare exceptions. Jost was the selection, my question now is whether or not he fulfills expectations even in a depth role, and I'm leaning toward no at this point. I'm not *there* by any means, just leaning that way.

I'm trying to think of not-big-not-fast guys who made a good living in the NHL, usually they had one or two outstanding qualities that made up for the lack of speed and power. Doug Gilmour was tough as nails and had amazing hockey sense. Dino Ciccarelli was a little guy who could bull his way around the slot area and ended up scoring over 600 goals in the NHL. Darcy Tucker...well, he was reasonably productive as a complementary winger.

I'm just questioning whether there's anything in Jost's skill set that will allow him to flourish in the NHL, because right now I'm just not seeing an impact player in any aspect, now or in the future. If my expectations are out of whack and/or I'm judging prematurely, I'll own that. And I don't think he SHOULD be traded, I just think he will ultimately be deemed expendable if/when the time comes to make a deal to upgrade the roster.

This is the thing with Jost : if he had been left at UNH another year and put up 40-50 points and was just this season starting his first pro year in the AHL with Kaut, people would be all jazzed about his future (much like they are with Kaut right now).

People keep pointing to 'progression' well it IS happening. Last year he put up 22 points in 65 GP as a 19 year old and this season he's got 10 points in 26 GP all the while having Colin Wilson surgically attached to his body. Sorry but that's progression...perhaps it's just not fast enough for some of the more impatient people on here?

I like you, I like your posts and I find myself agreeing with your line of thinking more often than not but I believe in this particular case your expectations are out of whack. In my opinion, Jost is going to end up a player like Bo Horvat or Ryan O'Reilly. I don't think it's going to happen for another couple of years but I think he gets there.

Again, the skating thing is overblown and is close to taking an 'Alexander Urbom' status as an urban legend. He needs to keep working on his acceleration and first steps but once he gets to top gear, he's fine. As far as your not-so-big-guys example, Gilmour was really scrawny (165lbs) but he was feisty. In terms of physique, that's not Jost. I think he lines up more like a Doug Weight in terms of size. Josty is going to have to keep not only getting stronger but get used to knowing how to use his strength in the appropriate way. More importantly, the more he plays the more things are going to eventually start to slow down for him and that's when he'll really take advantage.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This is the thing with Jost : if he had been left at UNH another year and put up 40-50 points and was just this season starting his first pro year in the AHL with Kaut, people would be all jazzed about his future (much like they are with Kaut right now).

People keep pointing to 'progression' well it IS happening. Last year he put up 22 points in 65 GP as a 19 year old and this season he's got 10 points in 26 GP all the while having Colin Wilson surgically attached to his body. Sorry but that's progression...perhaps it's just not fast enough for some of the more impatient people on here?

I like you, I like your posts and I find myself agreeing with your line of thinking more often than not but I believe in this particular case your expectations are out of whack. In my opinion, Jost is going to end up a player like Bo Horvat or Ryan O'Reilly. I don't think it's going to happen for another couple of years but I think he gets there.

Again, the skating thing is overblown and is close to taking an 'Alexander Urbom' status as an urban legend. He needs to keep working on his acceleration and first steps but once he gets to top gear, he's fine. As far as your not-so-big-guys example, Gilmour was really scrawny (165lbs) but he was feisty. In terms of physique, that's not Jost. I think he lines up more like a Doug Weight in terms of size. Josty is going to have to keep not only getting stronger but get used to knowing how to use his strength in the appropriate way. More importantly, the more he plays the more things are going to eventually start to slow down for him and that's when he'll really take advantage.

Damn...an Alexander Urbom reference! I can't remember the last time I heard THAT name.

I'll defer to you for sure when it comes to development of prospects, there are just things I'm seeing that aren't sitting well with me. I want to stress that I don't WANT him gone in any form, this isn't the same as my feelings on Nemeth and Wilson, both of whom I hope are either dealt at the deadline or just plain not retained come July 1st. I'll freely admit I am not really making an effort to look at him through an objective lens--this is mostly gut instinct.

I am glad though that no one's really freaked out about my (likely) hot take here and we've engaged in mostly meaningful debate.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I think people are worried more because of how’s hes been developed if anything. No way should he have been a one and done at UND. He clearly needed another year and I think that’s definitely had a negative effect on his development.

Reactions: Iceberg and Tommy G

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
I think people are worried more because of how’s hes been developed if anything. No way should he have been a one and done at UND. He clearly needed another year and I think that’s definitely had a negative effect on his development.
I agree. It's weird that he could've gotten a better development plan in the NCAA then the NHL but it does appear that way.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I still like him, but I hope we're done picking guys mostly because they give a good impression when interviewed before the draft. We know that's what happened with Bleackley and Jost.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Like I've been saying all the time. These Josts and Kamenevs won't get us anywhere. We need real talent. Jost's ceiling is a third line winger in a cup team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad