Tyson Barrie Discussion

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The big advantage Barrie has is that he can create goals from nothing as we saw last night. He is a faster skater and better dangler than Gardiner.

Defensively this will help get him our of tough situations, although he is a little soft in the D-zone. However, a Dermott could be a great long-term partner.

8x8 for Barrie is too much, but I would be willing to do 8 million over 4 years. You can find Muzzin's on the market at bargain, but its harder to find Tyson Barries.

IF we can get Barrie at 8m/4y and we can fit it under our cap then I think you have to. His contract would expire right before the big boys.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
IF we can get Barrie at 8m/4y and we can fit it under our cap then I think you have to. His contract would expire right before the big boys.

It will be tough because someone will over 5+ years, but you need to sell him on the fact that he will be getting a great AAV you try and stack it with bonus money and he either gets to pass pucks to John Tavares or Auston Matthews.

Also you can try and warn him if he waits things out he ends up in Gardiner's position

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Barrie is not being traded.
If he stays with his current 8M ask long term then Leafs won't be players. Much like Avs said see ya later. Our #1 guy is Morgan. No one is getting more than him. We have a 5M internal ceiling for dmen. So only real question left is do we get a #1 pick for him back which i think we will or do we let him hit FA on July 1st? I hope one of our crack media reporters asks Dubie if Muzzy was told about our internal CAP ceiling for D? I would be listening carefully how he fudged up that one.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I'd sign Barrie long term (about 6 years or so) around 7M.

To be honest, I'd rather sign Muzzin, keep the remaining cap space we have for flexibility and roll with Rielly, Muzzin, Marincin, Dermott, Lilly and Sandin. That's a solid group of puck movers.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If he stays with his current 8M ask long term then Leafs won't be players. Much like Avs said see ya later. Our #1 guy is Morgan. No one is getting more than him. We have a 5M internal ceiling for dmen. So only real question left is do we get a #1 pick for him back which i think we will or do we let him hit FA on July 1st? I hope one of our crack media reporters asks Dubie if Muzzy was told about our internal CAP ceiling for D? I would be listening carefully how he fudged up that one.
It doesn't work that way. If that was the case, Rantanen should be less than MacKinnon.

Rielly didn't sign his contract after his ELC with the promise he would be the highest paid Leaf Dman. He was a flawed but promising Dman who scored 36 points.

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
This quite obviously a 1 year deal. Enjoy it and utilise it for a cup run.

He'll put up big numbers and get PAID.

Reactions: Pi

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
The ONLY way Barrie gets traded at the deadline is if we are trending to miss the playoffs and if you're rooting for that in any way you're simply not a fan of this club. Wanting Barrie to play well so we can trade him at the deadline is such a laughably bad take
That trade crap can't be taken seriously. We would be the type of team that would be buyers for somebody like Barrie.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
This quite obviously a 1 year deal. Enjoy it and utilise it for a cup run.

He'll put up big numbers and get PAID.

I am curious to find out what he gets next year because that will very likely be the basis of a Rielly long term extension. That's the guy we need to keep around.

Reactions: Joel Ward

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I'd sign Barrie long term (about 6 years or so) around 7M.

To be honest, I'd rather sign Muzzin, keep the remaining cap space we have for flexibility and roll with Rielly, Muzzin, Marincin, Dermott, Lilly and Sandin. That's a solid group of puck movers.

Of that group, Liljegren would be the only righty. Couple that with the fact that Barrie's two years younger and his game will likely age better (in addition to already being the better player), and I think he should definitely be prioritized, if possible.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Of that group, Liljegren would be the only righty. Couple that with the fact that Barrie's two years younger and his game will likely age better (in addition to already being the better player), and I think he should definitely be prioritized, if possible.

Points = $$ though. If he's willing to sign a deal around 7M for 6 years or so, I'd take him and skimp on the rest of the roster but it seems like he's looking for a huge pay day and with this line up, I am sure he'll hit 60+ points and might even be on PP1 for a bit as the season progresses.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Barrie has scored more with his wrist shot from mid-range than pretty much any d-man in the league over the last few years. It's a superb weapon, and one game where he didn't get any good ones off doesn't change that.
nah, it's probably a fluke that's he's 6th in goals among defensemen over the last 2 years and last night's game shows his real lack of scoring ability

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
As a Toronto native living in Denver, I couldn't disagree with you more. The Avs have huge fan support here. First team to bring a championship to this city.

I've got great seats for the upcoming Avs and Bruins game next week. Hoping to see Kadri throw some hits on DeBrusk. Oh ya.

Always had a soft spot for Avs because im a huge sakic fan...came to canada when the canada and sweden were at it. I loved sakic and i loved sundin...Sundin was in Toronto so stuck with them (didn;t know what i was getting to and all the smack talk we receive :laugh:) but in the side rooted for the avs since i liked sakic. They have a good base there and I think the people in the Avs forum are also pretty cool too :D

I think one of the Avs problems is they don't draft very well... they needed to trade Barrie (partly because he had 1 year left and Makar was ready to take over, but also because you have to give to get) to get a 2nd line center.

Sure they drafted MacK, Duchene, Makar, Rantanen, Landeskog, Byram, even EJ, but they were all high picks. They need to draft a bit better when they are not on the board anymore before pick 25.
True that's actually a valid point...I might be biased because I also have a soft spot on them and they also picked up players like Jost when I was hyping him up ALOT. They also had a lot of ill luck with the prospects they have drafted like hischon and siemens too i think.

I also should mentino they could've also been the oilers who struck out regardless of how high they draft so I respect them for that or Islanders.

I remember wojitek wolski and stastny being under sakics win so I definitely have a soft spot lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cappuccino

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It doesn't work that way. If that was the case, Rantanen should be less than MacKinnon.

Rielly didn't sign his contract after his ELC with the promise he would be the highest paid Leaf Dman. He was a flawed but promising Dman who scored 36 points.
You should go ask Jake what he was told

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
If he stays healthy, he will have a monster year and we will lose him in free agency.

Enjoy it while you can.
That might be sire. Mayne his game is like so pure... the man is skating and still ballin with the puck. Mayne he talented like one of the realest suckas. We finna pay him real hard money.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It looks like Barrie is going to have a lot of fun on the ice this year- which can be a big help of the Leafs opt to aggressively resign him.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don't know what will happen with Barrie but we have Sandin,Dermott and Liljegren if he leaves. We are going for it lads and if we do well some will have to leave due to cap. Morgan is our boy $$$$ #1...sorry about that.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
As a Toronto native living in Denver, I couldn't disagree with you more. The Avs have huge fan support here. First team to bring a championship to this city.

I've got great seats for the upcoming Avs and Bruins game next week. Hoping to see Kadri throw some hits on DeBrusk. Oh ya.

:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad