Tyson Barrie Discussion Thread

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Agreed. The Leaf/Panthers playoff picture will be more clear in a couple of weeks but the own rental for Barrie doesn't make a lot of sense if they're still life and death to make the playoffs.

Trade Barrie for futures, clear up the cap situation and have more cap flexibility and assets to play with in the summer to make more meaningful defensive upgrades.

For once we agree, Stephen.

Barrie is the king of empty stats for me right now. His statistical output is nice, and he obviously has talent, but that is worth more to a different team than it should be to this defensively loose squad.

He's just not the right guy. Try to get some assets for him, it just isn't the right fit.

I expected his defence to at least be okay in his own end, and I expected his shot to be a difference maker, and neither has happened.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Two things frustrate me with Barrie.

1) His complete inability to defend - it’s below AHL level

2) He sucks at winning puck battles

Reactions: LeafsRus

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
GET THIS f***ING GUY OFF MY TEAM. I love Dubas as our GM but holy cow man you really f***ing gave away our boy Nazem for this piece of shit? Goodness gracious.

Reactions: Gargamaul

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Trade Barrie for a stay at home d-man. He's as dumb as a rock.

Just thinking how much more stability we would have if it was Jeff Petry instead of Tyson Barrie. Just a guy who plays a simple, hard game and isn't an unforced burning tire fire.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not accusing him of doing this purposely. However I kind of feel he's going in business for himself with some of the chances/shots he's been taking to potentially help his own stat line. He SEEMS like he's a good person and likely a team player which is why I don't want to accuse him of this without stating maybe it's a subconscious thing. Maybe his next deal is playing on his mind a little too much right now, as he's struggled more than he probably expected to in a contract year.

I'm not a huge fan of what he brings for the Leafs at the moment. He's not a player I want us to sign to a longer term deal, and we traded a pretty valuable piece for him, so I honestly wouldn't mind dealing him in a package for futures as I believe he would fetch a nice package being a RHD rental to recoup some assets.

I don't think we need to worry about what his motivations are when he's focusing on the offense, but Barrie putting up points should help us. Only problem is we have zero defensive defensemen to back him up and he's not capable of playing a solid two way workhorse defensive game, so we aren't benefiting from his strengths. If he had been able to I don't think the Avalanche would have given him up for a second line center upgrade. That's not what happens to elite defensemen.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't think we need to worry about what his motivations are when he's focusing on the offense, but Barrie putting up points should help us. Only problem is we have zero defensive defensemen to back him up and he's not capable of playing a solid two way workhorse defensive game, so we aren't benefiting from his strengths. If he had been able to I don't think the Avalanche would have given him up for a second line center upgrade. That's not what happens to elite defensemen.

He was acquired simply because he is a righty, other considerations were ignored for some reason. He is not a good fit here at all. I was skeptical but I was willing to give this a chance. Now after watching him for the whole season so far, he is a horrible fit. Why do we need another "Gardiner?" We need another Muzzin. I don't understand the obsession with handedness either.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Two things frustrate me with Barrie.

1) His complete inability to defend - it’s below AHL level

2) He sucks at winning puck battles

There are so many plays where all he needs to do is pin a guy to the boards or absorb a normal forechecking hit and he'll literally dance around, and start poke checking once the other guy has already won control of the puck. It's like pretty boy run and gun all-star game hockey.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Holl has not been very good since signing his extension (go figure) and it's not at all clear that Liljegren is ready for anything more than sheltered 3rd pair minutes.

To everyone who thinks we don't need PMD, just look at Keefe starting Holl in OT with Rielly out. Muzzin's too slow and there's nobody left but rookies after that.

If anything the problem is that Barrie is too eager to shoot on offense instead of passing to one of the nine or so forwards on this tram with a better shot than his. As far as breakouts go he's usually fine.
He skating around the ice grumbling all the time and cursing his way to the bench and shaking his head. He needs to shake his head too. Maybe he should go out and lay some people out if he’s that P!ssed all the time. Scared he might have to fight or something probably. He’d rather Gauthier do that for him or something ha. Bunch of cream puffs

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Funny thing, so is "Jake Gardiner".

3 assists in the 3rd to take Carolina from down 2, to winning 6-5.

Never expected anything else. Jake's often a difference-maker in the 3rd.....

Anyways, I still have hope for Barrie to get on track. I don't think 2 months under Babs could completely destroy what he'd been doing for 10 years in the NHL.
Jake Gardiner has 18 points in Carolina lol , he's on pace to have his worst statistical year in 6 seasons. Tyson Barrie has 31 points, nearly doubled that of Gardiner. Under Keefe, he's gotten 24 points in 33 games, which would mean he's on pace for 59 points if he played an 82 game season with him as coach. You'd figure that would override what he did under Babcock but alas, people can only remember the first 23 games and ignore the rest. Someone on defence has to be a scapegoat , why not Barrie?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Jake Gardiner has 18 points in Carolina lol , he's on pace to have his worst statistical year in 6 seasons. Tyson Barrie has 31 points, nearly doubled that of Gardiner. Under Keefe, he's gotten 24 points in 33 games, which would mean he's on pace for 59 points if he played an 82 game season with him as coach. You'd figure that would override what he did under Babcock but alas, people can only remember the first 23 games and ignore the rest. Someone on defence has to be a scapegoat , why not Barrie?

Point totals aren't exactly relevant statistics when we're talking about a guy who is stats padding at the expense of competent defensive play...

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Point totals aren't exactly relevant statistics when we're talking about a guy who is stats padding at the expense of competent defensive play...
If you look at his stats, he’s potted 2 in 26 games despite playing first PP. More telling his assists lag big time primary vs secondary relative to other D men. He’s been dining out on sweet passes and finishes by others and the comparables bear this out. His possession numbers are a mirage as well.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
He most certainly won't be here beyond this year...will he even be here at deadline time?

I wanted Hjalmarsson last year and I want him now. Left shot that can play the right side and kill penalties. Lilly and Sandin have showed they can play here.

Coyotes could use a Tyson Barrie...

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
He’s an excellent puck mover. Every player in the league would agree with that.

I don’t think the expectation for this year was to have him be a core of the defensive side of the game. He’s adequate.

For the entire year he’s been forced to play outside of his established skill set and I think he’s been decent. He’s trying to get the feel of the team and not just run the show.

If we make the playoffs I’m looking forward to seeing that side of his game. He’s a seasoned pro and people here think he’s terrible smh

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Just thinking how much more stability we would have if it was Jeff Petry instead of Tyson Barrie. Just a guy who plays a simple, hard game and isn't an unforced burning tire fire.
Petry is miles better than Barrie.
If we had a D like Petry instead of Barrie there’s no doubt in my mind we would be right up there with Boston and Tampa in the standings.

As much as I hate the Habs, he’s a legit #2 guy

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I'd try to trade Barrie to a Cup contending team in the West that already has solid defense for a 1st.

Then cap dump Ceci.

Flip the 1st+ to a rebuilding team for a defensively responsible top 4 RHD with term.

Run with:
Rielly - [RHD we trade for]
Muzzin - Dermott
Sandin - Holl

Extra: Liljegren, Marincin

Each pairing will have a defensively responsible dman (the RHD we trade for, Muzzin, Holl), and an offensive dman (Rielly, Dermott, Sandin).

Cycle Liljegren in and out of the lineup to see if he can take Dermott/Holl/Sandin spot. If he proves to be better then run with him.

Reactions: CelticDruid

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Petry is miles better than Barrie.
If we had a D like Petry instead of Barrie there’s no doubt in my mind we would be right up there with Boston and Tampa in the standings.

As much as I hate the Habs, he’s a legit #2 guy

I love Petry because he's solid all-around and physical RHD, but I 100% think Leaf fans would lose their minds if Petry was here. He makes worse turnovers than Barrie and Gardiner combined lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad