Tyson Barrie Discussion Thread

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Barrie would be the best rental on the market by a mile. Trade him for some futures, staple those futures to Johnsson, and trade that package for a pretty good top4 RHD with term.
If this is an option, I dont see why it hasnt been at least looked into already. Dubas is always saying he likes players with term.

Barrie by the trade deadline with have a prorated cap hit of like 1 million. Pretty much means he can fit on any team and on any pairing, massively increases his value. So he if a team really needs a guy to run one of their PPs he would be a good target. Leafs would get a 1st+2nd type of package I would imagine.

Barrie is a good player but he requires a very specific set of circumstances to thrive and so isnt a good fit on the leafs. He had that in Colarado playing on an extremely sheltered scoring 2nd pairing most of his career. EJ is a good shutdown defender who played all the match ups. Leafs do not have that and so Barrie is getting exposed defensively especially with Rielly out.

Leafs need to find a partner for Rielly, 1st+2nd+Kap/AJ should return a pretty good defender with term. It should definitely be considered

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Barrie doesn't suck, he's been misused, for the most part.

Babcock tried to re-invent the wheel. Nope.
With Rielly, not too bad, eh.
25 minutes/night paired with a tired Muzzin and Dermott will expose him every game.

Get a solid RD as soon as possible and that player + Barrie and Holl is an acceptable RD trio.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
“Kadri” trending on twitter.

Funny thing, so is "Jake Gardiner".

3 assists in the 3rd to take Carolina from down 2, to winning 6-5.

Never expected anything else. Jake's often a difference-maker in the 3rd.....

Anyways, I still have hope for Barrie to get on track. I don't think 2 months under Babs could completely destroy what he'd been doing for 10 years in the NHL.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Someone raised a good point on twitter, we needed a PMD so Barrie made sense. It's another reason why Dubas went after Brodie too. Now that Holl, and potentially Sandin and Lilly have emerged, Barrie isn't needed on the team anymore. If Dubas can deal him for a kind of defenceman that we need, you should look into it for sure.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Dubas had to trade Kadri. And think Barrie was just the ticket to become a place-holder for Timothy Liljegren.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Barrie is an absolute disaster on both ends of the ice. I'm sick and tired of seeing him in a Leafs jersey and can't wait for him to GTFO this team

Reactions: Duffman955

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I have said from the very beginning, from the time that Barrie's name came up as available in trade rumors, that he was not a good fit for this team and what we needed.

We very clearly needed someone who could defend, that would free up Rielly to play to his strengths, which was moving the puck up and out quickly, and let his offensive prowess be utilized. Barrie was never the guy we needed and it's painfully obvious.

I'm not a Dubas basher or fanboy. I can see the good he does and when he makes mistakes (he is human, after all). Barrie was a mistake and the Kadri trade was not a good one. He did it with the best of intentions but he wasted a prime long-term asset by not filling a long-term need. You don't make trades out of desperation, you make trades for fits. If there was "no other" trade out there, than you don't make the trade that is the best out of a bad lot. You keep the asset and wait for a better trade to come along. Period.

For me, Barrie can't get off this team fast enough. He should have never been on it. I don't have any expectations for Barrie here. My only hope is that he is traded as soon as possible (today would be nice). If we can get him off the team for a 1st and a prospect, that will have more long-term value to the Leafs than anything Barrie himself ever offered. Conversely, if we added Barrie as part of a package for a long-term solution at RHD, such as Manson, that would also be a better solution.

I think he can still help us long-term, only be being traded himself. I'm not going to Larry Murphy the guy as Barrie was never a need or a fit here. I don't think he is being treated unfairly here. He's had 2 different coaches try to find where he fits and he simply does not. Doesn't mean he's a bad player, it means he only brings what we have too much of and doesn't bring what we desperately needed. He is redundent here. Doesn't mean that he wouldn't thrive on a team that has less offensive talent than we do, and that is why I think he would still garner a signficant return in a trade.

Nothing wrong with making a mistake and saying something didn't work out as expected as you can never really know how someone is going to fit in. Having said that, you have to recognize when a mistake has been made and fix it. Barrie needs to go, and we are fortunate that we would be able to salvage a decent return that will still be beneficial to us. If we stupidly keep the guy and let him walk at UFA, then we absolutely lost that trade, and kept a guy who did more harm than good in his time here.

It's not about being right or wrong, it's about doing what's best for the Team, no matter what.

Ok, rant over.

:soap:

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I have said from the very beginning, from the time that Barrie's name came up as available in trade rumors, that he was not a good fit for this team and what we needed.

We very clearly needed someone who could defend, that would free up Rielly to play to his strengths, which was moving the puck up and out quickly, and let his offensive prowess be utilized. Barrie was never the guy we needed and it's painfully obvious.

I'm not a Dubas basher or fanboy. I can see the good he does and when he makes mistakes (he is human, after all). Barrie was a mistake and the Kadri trade was not a good one. He did it with the best of intentions but he wasted a prime long-term asset by not filling a long-term need. You don't make trades out of desperation, you make trades for fits. If there was "no other" trade out there, than you don't make the trade that is the best out of a bad lot. You keep the asset and wait for a better trade to come along. Period.

For me, Barrie can't get off this team fast enough. He should have never been on it. I don't have any expectations for Barrie here. My only hope is that he is traded as soon as possible (today would be nice). If we can get him off the team for a 1st and a prospect, that will have more long-term value to the Leafs than anything Barrie himself ever offered. Conversely, if we added Barrie as part of a package for a long-term solution at RHD, such as Manson, that would also be a better solution.

I think he can still help us long-term, only be being traded himself. I'm not going to Larry Murphy the guy as Barrie was never a need or a fit here. I don't think he is being treated unfairly here. He's had 2 different coaches try to find where he fits and he simply does not. Doesn't mean he's a bad player, it means he only brings what we have too much of and doesn't bring what we desperately needed. He is redundent here. Doesn't mean that he wouldn't thrive on a team that has less offensive talent than we do, and that is why I think he would still garner a signficant return in a trade.

Nothing wrong with making a mistake and saying something didn't work out as expected as you can never really know how someone is going to fit in. Having said that, you have to recognize when a mistake has been made and fix it. Barrie needs to go, and we are fortunate that we would be able to salvage a decent return that will still be beneficial to us. If we stupidly keep the guy and let him walk at UFA, then we absolutely lost that trade, and kept a guy who did more harm than good in his time here.

It's not about being right or wrong, it's about doing what's best for the Team, no matter what.

Ok, rant over.

:soap:

:clap::clap::bow:

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
I would have a tremendous amount of praise for Dubas if he did trade Barrie, it would go against every stubborn instinct a GM would normally have, because it would equate to admitting defeat. It would be defeat, it would maximizing your assets, job one.

I could see it happening. But for what, futures?

Barrie at his cap hit (this year) would be attractive to a lot of teams - I'd jump at a mid-1st and prospect.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I really don’t see us trading Barrie.

If it was up to me I’d trade him for whatever we could (minimum 2nd + B prospect) and then flip those assets+ for a defenceman, who can actually play defence.

Unfortunately I think we end up using him as our own rental, and hopefully we make the playoffs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Barrie is so awful. He is so much worse than Gardiner its not even funny. I can't believe we made that trade for him. I can't wait til the offseason just to get rid of him.

He's a flashier Gardiner with higher end offensive skills but an even worse processor between the ears. It's almost like there's no purpose to half the things he's doing out there. Unfortunately I think people look at his skills and think they can harness it for good but all Barrie does is create chaos to the transition/rush game and force someone else to cover for him unexpectedly, a mess QB'ing along the point and the defensive retreat is a scramble.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Regardless of what I think of his play.

If the Leafs don't intend of re-signing him, and I don't think they do, they need to move him.

Trade Barrie for a 1st and prospect and then use that (and whatever other asset) to go nab a different top-four that fits a larger need. Or trade him and a forward to a team that can use more offensive punch.

Need to get creative.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I'm not accusing him of doing this purposely. However I kind of feel he's going in business for himself with some of the chances/shots he's been taking to potentially help his own stat line. He SEEMS like he's a good person and likely a team player which is why I don't want to accuse him of this without stating maybe it's a subconscious thing. Maybe his next deal is playing on his mind a little too much right now, as he's struggled more than he probably expected to in a contract year.

I'm not a huge fan of what he brings for the Leafs at the moment. He's not a player I want us to sign to a longer term deal, and we traded a pretty valuable piece for him, so I honestly wouldn't mind dealing him in a package for futures as I believe he would fetch a nice package being a RHD rental to recoup some assets.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Barrie would be the best rental on the market by a mile. Trade him for some futures, staple those futures to Johnsson, and trade that package for a pretty good top4 RHD with term.
Imagine if Dubas actually pulled this off. That would be masterful and my respect for him would be a full 180 to what it is right now.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I'm not crazy about his play, but Tyson Barrie is Larry Murphy reincarnated....

He will be run out of town no matter what he does.
He cant tie murphys skates
He cant check his coat without his d partner
He cant run a powerplay

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Regardless of what I think of his play.

If the Leafs don't intend of re-signing him, and I don't think they do, they need to move him.

Trade Barrie for a 1st and prospect and then use that (and whatever other asset) to go nab a different top-four that fits a larger need. Or trade him and a forward to a team that can use more offensive punch.

Need to get creative.

Agreed. The Leaf/Panthers playoff picture will be more clear in a couple of weeks but the own rental for Barrie doesn't make a lot of sense if they're still life and death to make the playoffs.

Trade Barrie for futures, clear up the cap situation and have more cap flexibility and assets to play with in the summer to make more meaningful defensive upgrades.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I could see it happening. But for what, futures?

Barrie at his cap hit (this year) would be attractive to a lot of teams - I'd jump at a mid-1st and prospect.
Can’t see a first, but a second and a prospect?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I wish that the Calgary trade went through instead of the Colarado one. Brodie can actually be play against top competition, unlike Barrie, who needs to be sheltered.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Someone raised a good point on twitter, we needed a PMD so Barrie made sense. It's another reason why Dubas went after Brodie too. Now that Holl, and potentially Sandin and Lilly have emerged, Barrie isn't needed on the team anymore. If Dubas can deal him for a kind of defenceman that we need, you should look into it for sure.

Holl has not been very good since signing his extension (go figure) and it's not at all clear that Liljegren is ready for anything more than sheltered 3rd pair minutes.

To everyone who thinks we don't need PMD, just look at Keefe starting Holl in OT with Rielly out. Muzzin's too slow and there's nobody left but rookies after that.

If anything the problem is that Barrie is too eager to shoot on offense instead of passing to one of the nine or so forwards on this tram with a better shot than his. As far as breakouts go he's usually fine.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I made this at Halloween saying it was the scariest yard in the neighborhood. Still relevant.

house.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad