Tyson Barrie Discussion Thread

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I consider a good defensman as a player that doesn’t make a ton of poor pinches, one that can actually win puck battles and cares about the defensive side of the game...

You do need those type of defenseman no doubt. There also is a place for players like Barrie. Like Gardiner, and even going back to Larry Murphy I don't get why we as fans have to look at only aspects we don't like blinding us to the value the player brings.

Barrie will most likely be a gambler for his career but that's what got him to the NHL and will keep him there.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I consider a good defensman as a player that doesn’t make a ton of poor pinches, one that can actually win puck battles and cares about the defensive side of the game...

I do disagree and find it ridiculous that people equate being poor at something to " He doesn't care"

I am positive Barrie cares. Somewhere along the line I am surprised a coach didn't switch him to the wing.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
We need to re-visit this trade.

Why didn't Dubas notice how bad COL fleeced OTT and NSH in the Duchene trade before dealing Kadri.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
You do need those type of defenseman no doubt. There also is a place for players like Barrie. Like Gardiner, and even going back to Larry Murphy I don't get why we as fans have to look at only aspects we don't like blinding us to the value the player brings.

Barrie will most likely be a gambler for his career but that's what got him to the NHL and will keep him there.

Barrie and Gardiner are completely different. Gardiner was a much better defender for us.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
At one point he had 3 of 14 shots actually get through. What do you base your evaluation of “good” on?

I am not a Barrie apologist, but in terms of generating chances and getting or creating chances he was good last night.

The results were not there bit if he could play like that every game the outcome would certainly be different.

It is hard to get in a position to tame 13 shots in a game. His shooting percentage is terrible this year, well below his norm so those are all positives knowing that eventually they will start to go in, or at the very least hit the net creating a rebound

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Tyson Barrie needs to be gone by the deadline. I don't care if we trade him for another rental d-man. He just doesn't fit here, keeping him past the trade deadline is a waste of assets because there's a 0% chance we re-sign him.

Unfortunately, Dubas looks intent on keeping him for some reason.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
A bit of a different convo for Barrie but i had no idea that:

a) Barrie’s Dad played in the NHL
b) Barrie’s Dad was a part owner and president of the Tampa Bay Lightning for 2 years

I thought that was interesting since bloodlines are always brought up and I’ve heard nothing about Barrie.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
A bit of a different convo for Barrie but i had no idea that:

a) Barrie’s Dad played in the NHL
b) Barrie’s Dad was a part owner and president of the Tampa Bay Lightning for 2 years

I thought that was interesting since bloodlines are always brought up and I’ve heard nothing about Barrie.

Was Barrie's dad also an apple turnover machine and loved shinpads?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Serious Question:

Why is Tyson Barrie here?

I do not understand at all why we moved Kadri for him. Why was he brought in here? To help us win a round or two in the playoffs? Was Dubas going to re-sign him at 7 million per season? When you consider what Dubas did at the deadline and his recent presser I have no idea why he's still wearing blue and white. If Dubas has no investment in TOR's playoff possibility, then why not move Barrie for assets. He just plays out the season so that Dubas doesn't lose face? This is terrible management.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Serious Question:

I do not understand at all why we moved Kadri for him. Why was he brought in here? To help us win a round or two in the playoffs? Was Dubas going to re-sign him at 7 million per season? When you consider what Dubas did at the deadline and his recent presser I have no idea why he's still wearing blue and white. If Dubas has no investment in TOR's playoff possibility, then why not move Barrie for assets. He just plays out the season so that Dubas doesn't lose face? This is terrible management.

He's going to be a lock for at least 1 GA/GP... not sure if that will be a good receipe for success.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Serious Question:

The answer is probably because the Dubas vision involved the core playing at a high level, up tempo pace that Barrie was going to excel at joining. However Dubas forgot to consider the opposition not allowing that and as Muzzin put it, they don’t like the hard games. The core is offense in good situations with suspect D, forecheck intolerant and what might be a care to become complete issue.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The answer is probably because the Dubas vision involved the core playing at a high level, up tempo pace that Barrie was going to excel at joining. However Dubas forgot to consider the opposition not allowing that and as Muzzin put it, they don’t like the hard games. The core is offense in good situations with suspect D, forecheck intolerant and what might be a care to become complete issue.

This.

On paper, this was a pretty good team... Rielly and Ceci (who was supposed to be an upgrade on Hainsey) as the #1 pair. Muzzin and Barrie as one of the league's better #2 pairs. A young and developing Travis Dermott on the 3rd pair with a variety of depth options for the #6 and #7 positions...All built to play the uptempo style of hockey that the Leafs need to play in order to be successful. Up front, 4 superstars, and some great depth in the form of Hyman, Johnsson, Kapanen, Kerfoot; plus some wildcards in Moore, Mikehyev, Spezza, Engvall, Shore, Petan to fill out the bottom of the lineup.

Why wasn't he traded? Because Dubas is afraid to take a step backwards. If this team was healthy on the blueline and still performing poorly, I think he might have done it, but with Rielly & Ceci out, he really couldn't afford to lose another quality defenceman, and I don't think he had the guts to admit he was completely wrong by trading Tyson Barrie for something like a 2nd & a 4th, to then flip that 4th for a guy like Ron Hainsey.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

There is. But the puck movers can't play scared. They have to absorb the blows and play through them like Sandin. Barrie MOST of the time (Zona he did watch tape) does not pay the price. Like last game against Canes he tried to let Canes go past him but he slowed down too and then threw him into boards. That was it for barrie when he came back he was scared again. We can't afford to have him on ice when puck is in our end of ice. He needs to play exclusively in offensive zone.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
After we win the cup this year, Tyson Barrie is going to skate around the ice doing a strip tease while the Edmonton organist plays cabaret music.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad