Tyson Barrie Discussion Thread

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Not saying you are wrong or anything, but that is fine by me (and most fans) if he leaves after one year given what his salary will probably look like.

To be fair though, I have friends that grew up with Hutchinson and McDavid's family (not going to post anything I've heard since I think that is against the rules unless you're vetted by mods TBH) and just because I hear some things from them doesn't mean that it is always black and white. Things change when you get offered a bunch of money, enjoy your time with the team, or the opportunity does/doesn't comes up (For example, Vancouver might not want Barrie).

Again, not saying I disagree with you or that I don't believe you. Just that it's not always black and white.

I hear ya.

I also had no idea it was against site rules, my bad.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
He is what he is. He's not the type of dman that we needed.

Leafs needed a more steady presence that could make a pass to the forwards.

I think he gets crucified for the same reason guys like Phaneuf and Kessel did. People want a sqaure peg to fit in a circle.

Barrie does his job well, but its not the job we need to be done. If he was surrounded by competent defenders, we could easily live with him I think. But when just about everyone is a tire fire in their own zone, it gets rough. No one out there to bail him out.

Last edited:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I'm not sure on that (and most mods are probably sleeping right now ;)), but I remember somebody getting into trouble over using unverified sources so just an FYI.

100% appreciated!

I work around a lot of athletes, so I prob should have known better. But it is good to know, makes perfect sense and I will be mindful.

I am actually feeling pretty good about or prospects coming, and the Sandin/Lily combo. Keep Muzz to go along with Travis, Morgan, Sandin, Lily, and Holl. It could be worse for sure.

Reactions: KapG

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I didn't mind doing the "own-rental" thing when we had strong seasons going and were wanting the big boys to gain some playoff experience. But if Barrie is still a Leaf on Feb 25, it's just going to be a glaring mistake.

I agree. If the team was a shoe in for the playoffs and Barrie was having a really strong season I wouldn't want to move him. Clearly this season hasn't gone as planned, and I think it's a waste to keep Barrie.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nobody can say I didn't try and warn Leaf Nation this summer about Barrie since I got to see him play 1oo's of times for my Kelowna Rockets first hand, and follow all alumni through the NHL. :wg:

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Barrie does suck and the shot was stupid, but what's Matthews doing? Last man back and takes a big circle and half strides his way back on d. The guy doesn't care...
Well maybe Mathews couldn't believe the guy would take such a low risk shot
Tired of this guy trying to use the toronto market to pad his stats
I'm not sure I'd take him back at his current salary

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Why? How important is it to have a right handed puck mover? We don't make the playoffs, but hey we have a puck mover on the right side everyone!

Did you know that statistically the difference between a left handed player in the RD slot is less than 2%? So, for all the crazy trades that people are trying to make for a RHD...it works out to 2 friggen % difference. I would rather pay less for a competent LHD and play him on the right side than give up Kappy to get a true RHD. I think Babcock got this all started way back in Detroit...He would bitch and moan about the lack of RHD....and yet he was more than happy to play Hainsey at first pairing RD even though he was 100 yrs old. So I think it should be the quality of the D playing RD more than the way he shoots that contributes to that decision.

Northofyu

Nov 12, 2018
Yeah, don't expect him to be traded but we can always hope?

Roll my eyes when he does that slow spin in our own end & loses the puck.
Has skill but def not what we needed.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Barrie is so awful. He is so much worse than Gardiner its not even funny. I can't believe we made that trade for him. I can't wait til the offseason just to get rid of him.

Reactions: Duffman955

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Zero leadership qualities as well, two rookies on the backend now, would expect him to step up like the veteran he is...he only has one gear, that seems apparent now.

I would have a tremendous amount of praise for Dubas if he did trade Barrie, it would go against every stubborn instinct a GM would normally have, because it would equate to admitting defeat. It would be defeat, it would maximizing your assets, job one.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Barrie is so awful. He is so much worse than Gardiner its not even funny. I can't believe we made that trade for him. I can't wait til the offseason just to get rid of him.

Jake before the back injury at least made up for his gaffes with other stuff. If barrie doesn't score he does nothing

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
And Kadri has been a drag on everybody he's played with at even strength, and look pretty bad as soon as you look beyond point production... where Barrie almost equals him, and outpaces him by far since the coaching change. And what separates Kadri and Kerfoot's point production is essentially usage, and Kerfoot looks better beyond that.

Kadri is not the same player he was two years ago.

Yeah. Kadri was wasted as the 3C on this team.

Kerfoot has been fine but Barrie has been a bust.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Well maybe Mathews couldn't believe the guy would take such a low risk shot
Tired of this guy trying to use the toronto market to pad his stats
I'm not sure I'd take him back at his current salary

Before Barrie shot the puck he was 10 feet in front of Matthews who also would have seen Marner in front. Matthews would have known he was last man back and should have been retreating as soon as Barrie was ahead of him. He didn't, Matthews kept skating forward then had to circle back. Barrie made a massive turn before he back checked. Barrie has no will to defend, that's what agitates me. He has no pride to win battles or play a defensive game. He made a mistake getting caught trying to hold the puck in at the blueline with a 1-0 lead and under 4 mins left but Dermott bailed him out diving on the ice and making an excellent play. I was shocked he is doing this late in a game with the lead, taking dumb risks.

Reactions: hullsy47

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Barrie would be the best rental on the market by a mile. Trade him for some futures, staple those futures to Johnsson, and trade that package for a pretty good top4 RHD with term.
Just wonder Colorado retains half of Barrie's $5.5 million cap hit. Can Leafs retain the other half? If yes, Barrie is a no cap hit rental :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad