Tyson Barrie Discussion Thread

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
He was acquired simply because he is a righty, other considerations were ignored for some reason. He is not a good fit here at all. I was skeptical but I was willing to give this a chance. Now after watching him for the whole season so far, he is a horrible fit. Why do we need another "Gardiner?" We need another Muzzin. I don't understand the obsession with handedness either.
Babcock told everyone who would listen
He didn't fit
I agree

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I just checked.

Barrie is the 12th ranked RHD in the league in points.
Ahead of Seth Jones #13, Eckblad #14, and Drew Doughty #17

He's 6th in the league under Keefe

Not too shabby.

I just want him to be a bit more defensively defensive too.

Agreed. He had a good game against Arizona as well, hopefully he continues that play defensively and offensively.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Barrie can not be traded as long as Rielly is out.
Unless they get someone else who can run the pp and they won’t gamble on Sandin doing it at 19.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I just checked.

Barrie is the 12th ranked RHD in the league in points.
Ahead of Seth Jones #13, Eckblad #14, and Drew Doughty #17

He's 6th in the league under Keefe

Not too shabby.

I just want him to be a bit more defensively defensive too.

This is exactly why we need to capitalize and trade him prior to the deadline. He's a surplus requirement on our team and we need to improve our defensive acumen and physicality on the blueline.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
This is exactly why we need to capitalize and trade him prior to the deadline. He's a surplus requirement on our team and we need to improve our defensive acumen and physicality on the blueline.

The issue with that is no one can replace Barrie's offensive play right now. Rielly is equivalent to Barrie offensively, but he's out long-term and scheduled to return only for the playoffs (most likely).

So if you trade Barrie, you're relying on Sandin to be the go-to defenseman when they're trailing or tied in a game. Can he handle that already? Barrie plays the most on the team when the Leafs are trailing and need to score a goal, hence the riskiness that all offensive D have. If Rielly were here, I would agree completely with you. But I don't think there's any chance we can expect Sandin/Lilijegren/Dermott to be the go-to D. Barrie averages nearly 23 minutes a game in the past 20 games.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The issue with that is no one can replace Barrie's offensive play right now. Rielly is equivalent to Barrie offensively, but he's out long-term and scheduled to return only for the playoffs (most likely).

So if you trade Barrie, you're relying on Sandin to be the go-to defenseman when they're trailing or tied in a game. Can he handle that already? Barrie plays the most on the team when the Leafs are trailing and need to score a goal, hence the riskiness that all offensive D have. If Rielly were here, I would agree completely with you. But I don't think there's any chance we can expect Sandin/Lilijegren/Dermott to be the go-to D. Barrie averages nearly 23 minutes a game in the past 20 games.

Please don't tell me the Leafs have been a good defensive team in the past 20 games.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Agreed. He had a good game against Arizona as well, hopefully he continues that play defensively and offensively.
If he can replicate the Zona game, most nights, then I would keep him. Lets see if he plays the same way again tonight. When he plays hard on puck in his own end he can play on my team. But that was 1st game all year I saw that effort to win back pucks in his own end. Lets hope it is a trend. No one can complain last game he was only defensive group with no goals against.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

It's a trade off. We lose a bit of offensive productivity short term by replacing his minutes with our other defencemen, but we should concede fewer goals against in those minutes as well.

Reactions: horner

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
If he can replicate the Zona game, most nights, then I would keep him. Lets see if he plays the same way again tonight. When he plays hard on puck in his own end he can play on my team. But that was 1st game all year I saw that effort to win back pucks in his own end. Lets hope it is a trend. No one can complain last game he was only defensive group with no goals against.

Yeah he's a very polarizing player. He's been below-average defensively all-season long, but his offense has been fantastic. If he can at least be average defensively, then he's a great guy to keep (especially at 2.5M for this season).

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
He skating around the ice grumbling all the time and cursing his way to the bench and shaking his head. He needs to shake his head too. Maybe he should go out and lay some people out if he’s that P!ssed all the time. Scared he might have to fight or something probably. He’d rather Gauthier do that for him or something ha. Bunch of cream puffs
He's playing for himself imho. His lack of production is costing him money and he's thinking about it. Hence all the dumb clappers he's been taking to clear the zone for an odd man rush. He's really forcing it out there.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This guy has all secondary assists.

His offense is ****

His defense is an abomination
How can a guy go from that Zona game to that Stars game?????????????????????????????????????????? I am very frustrated. It is clear he has the courage in him. D*mn it I guess his heart is in Vancouver or for his 8M per. It is not here. This yoyo has to stop.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
You must have a loose definition of good. :laugh:
He wasn't bad, he took the puck out of the zone on multiple occasions under control with strength. If you compare to other Ds he seemed to be a step above. I didnt watch the game vs Montreal, but i felt he was stable yesterday compared to others.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He's playing for himself imho. His lack of production is costing him money and he's thinking about it. Hence all the dumb clappers he's been taking to clear the zone for an odd man rush. He's really forcing it out there.
If this really is the case our coaching staff needs to identify this and fix it.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Agreed 100%. He's playing for his next contract, and he knows it's not going to be with us.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

You see it also :). He’s terrible Leafers. I would rather Bogosian type that scores no points and looks after defense. Bogosian can’t be worse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad