Confirmed with Link: Tyler Johnson for Brent Seabrook

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Johnson is not bad. He scored 29 goals two seasons ago (which was the last full season), mostly on ES and as a 2nd and 3rd line tweener. Is he worth his contract? Probably not. Not anymore.

That said he’s been a victim of our depth. It wouldn’t shock me to see him put up decent numbers in a bigger role than on Tampa’s 4th line with Maroon and a rookie. His motivation was way down after dropping in the lineup, his TOI and role reduced and after being asked to waive his NTC to actually end up on waivers and not get picked up by anybody (likely more for political reasons though as teams tried to pressure Tampa).

He’s an intelligent player, fast, has a good shot. He’s solid at center but was mostly used as a winger recently. Obviously he’s small and gets pushed off the puck quite easily nowadays and he’s lost some of his agility that made him a two-way threat and hard to play against in puck battles back in his prime days on the Triplets line with Kuch and Palat. For a time he was the best player out of the three, can you imagine?

So I think you’ll be mildly but pleasantly surprised. He’s not as bad as some make him out to be.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Hawks fans looking for Bowman's trade/cap logic

tenor.gif

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hawks fans looking for Bowman's trade/cap logic

tenor.gif

Nah. It's pretty obvious what they're doing. It's kind of a hybrid Vegas approach. Draft some good young talent, and then find the castoffs other teams don't want, to fill out the rest of the roster. I have no idea whether or not it will work out, but it's f***ing exciting, at the very least. :laugh:

Reactions: DesperateBeliever

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I think its simply the reality of seeing team hold playoff spot for most of season only to falter in 2nd half because of inexperience and general shittyness

Improve roster some and hope that its enough to safely get back into playoffs

And once there anything can happen as shown by Stars and Hab runs out of nowhere. And the West is far more open then East at end of day

Still think JC is shit coach so that is problem that needs to be dealt with

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think its simply the reality of seeing team hold playoff spot for most of season only to falter in 2nd half because of inexperience and general shittyness

Improve roster some and hope that its enough to safely get back into playoffs

And once there anything can happen as shown by Stars and Hab runs out of nowhere. And the West is far more open then East at end of day

Still think JC is shit coach so that is problem that needs to be dealt with

The roster is going to have some pretty big upgrades. If JC is a shit coach, I don't think he will have much of a leash. I really can't wait for September. I'm excited for the season to start.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Good trade for both teams. You get a proven playoff 3c/4C who can play on the PP. We get cap relief. We're going to miss TJ, but at least he's got one more shot at another etching on the trophy. You guys are loaded.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Good trade for both teams. You get a proven playoff 3c/4C who can play on the PP. We get cap relief. We're going to miss TJ, but at least he's got one more shot at another etching on the trophy. You guys are loaded.

It is 100% a win/win trade. Hawks filled a position of need, and got a 2nd rounder on top of it. Tampa got the cap relief they needed.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
So Chicago has 48M already committed to 9 players next year. The cap is very likely not going to rise beyond 81.5M. And if they're serious about competing for a playoff spot this year, they're going to need a top-4 LD through trade of free agency. Oh and next year they have to negotiate new contracts for Kubalik, Dach, Kalynuk, Kurashev and to a lesser extent Nylander, Gaudette, little Jones, plus sign a starting goaltender.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
So Chicago has 48M already committed to 9 players next year. The cap is very likely not going to rise beyond 81.5M. And if they're serious about competing for a playoff spot this year, they're going to need a top-4 LD through trade of free agency. Oh and next year they have to negotiate new contracts for Kubalik, Dach, Kalynuk, Kurashev and to a lesser extent Nylander, Gaudette, little Jones, plus sign a starting goaltender.

You're assuming Toews doesn't go the Seabrook route and end up LTIR'd. I think this trade is further proof the Hawks are in no way counting on him returning. If it happens, great. But not likely. And my sources tend to agree on this. But hey, nobody believed me about Seabrook, him LTIRetiring, and not taking up a protection slot. So whatever.

Reactions: Pertti

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
So I popped over to capfriendly. I signed Dach to a bridge deal of 3 years at 5.25M. I signed Kubalik to a 5-year deal at 6.5M. I expect Kurashev and Kalynuk to be retained and have decent roles this year, so they're both making 2.25M and 2.0M on 2-year deals. Depending on how well they perform this year, who knows if that'll be enough to retain either. I signed Lankinen for 5M, but that's really just a place holder because whether it's him or someone else, CHI will need a goaltender next year and you usually have to pay for one of those. I also have CHI signing Hagel to a 2-year deal at 1.9M this off-season, signing McCabe to a 3-year deal at 3.5M and next year either retaining or replacing Connor Murphy in their D at 5.5M per. Keep in mind, some guys are just place holders but at the bottom of the lineup, the money diff is negligible. This is what we get:

upload_2021-7-28_5-55-1.png

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Johnson is not bad. He scored 29 goals two seasons ago (which was the last full season), mostly on ES and as a 2nd and 3rd line tweener. Is he worth his contract? Probably not. Not anymore.

That said he’s been a victim of our depth. It wouldn’t shock me to see him put up decent numbers in a bigger role than on Tampa’s 4th line with Maroon and a rookie. His motivation was way down after dropping in the lineup, his TOI and role reduced and after being asked to waive his NTC to actually end up on waivers and not get picked up by anybody (likely more for political reasons though as teams tried to pressure Tampa).

He’s an intelligent player, fast, has a good shot. He’s solid at center but was mostly used as a winger recently. Obviously he’s small and gets pushed off the puck quite easily nowadays and he’s lost some of his agility that made him a two-way threat and hard to play against in puck battles back in his prime days on the Triplets line with Kuch and Palat. For a time he was the best player out of the three, can you imagine?

So I think you’ll be mildly but pleasantly surprised. He’s not as bad as some make him out to be.

Ya we don’t want anyone who’s a “victim of depth”

Why doesn’t Bowman build a deep team that makes 5 million dollar guys who are not worth 5 million victim of our depth and not needed to trade for? Bowman just handed a team that was so cap strapped a way out, no one was gonna take that garbage contract…

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
So I popped over to capfriendly. I signed Dach to a bridge deal of 3 years at 5.25M. I signed Kubalik to a 5-year deal at 6.5M. I expect Kurashev and Kalynuk to be retained and have decent roles this year, so they're both making 2.25M and 2.0M on 2-year deals. Depending on how well they perform this year, who knows if that'll be enough to retain either. I signed Lankinen for 5M, but that's really just a place holder because whether it's him or someone else, CHI will need a goaltender next year and you usually have to pay for one of those. I also have CHI signing Hagel to a 2-year deal at 1.9M this off-season, signing McCabe to a 3-year deal at 3.5M and next year either retaining or replacing Connor Murphy in their D at 5.5M per. Keep in mind, some guys are just place holders but at the bottom of the lineup, the money diff is negligible. This is what we get:

View attachment 456929

Lol? This is nonsensical.

Reactions: wahsnairb

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
You're assuming Toews doesn't go the Seabrook route and end up LTIR'd. I think this trade is further proof the Hawks are in no way counting on him returning. If it happens, great. But not likely. And my sources tend to agree on this. But hey, nobody believed me about Seabrook, him LTIRetiring, and not taking up a protection slot. So whatever.

So if the Hawks aren't counting on him returning, wouldn't it have made more sense to acquire a player who could be a very strong 1B or 2C centre behind Dach, instead of bringing in Johnson at 5M who's likely going to provide 3M worth of value tops? I get we no longer have to deal with Seabrook's contract but at least he could be LTIR away. Maybe Johnson gets shot into space, maybe Toews does too but now we're back to hoping players we've committed serious money too don't play for us? And the rebuild is over somehow?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

View attachment 456929

Murphy at $5.5M , Lankinen at $5M , LOL

Lankinen better have won Vezina and carried Hawks to deep playoff run for that cap hit

Reactions: ChiHawks10

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Murphy at $5.5M , Lankinen at $5M , LOL

Lankinen better have won Vezina and carried Hawks to deep playoff run for that cap hit

Can you read? Lankinen is a placeholder for a starting goaltender. Murphy is either going to need to be paid or replaced as a top-4 D. It's not that hard.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Can you read? Lankinen is a placeholder for a starting goaltender. Murphy is either going to need to be paid or replaced as a top-4 D. It's not that hard.

Obviously it is. Try being a f***ing realist instead of a pessimist for once. You overpaid almost every contract you listed.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Obviously it is. Try being a f***ing realist instead of a pessimist for once. You overpaid almost every contract you listed.

Overpaid every player? f***ing how? And I'm the pessimist?

Kubalik already has a 30 goal year under his belt. He was on pace for 24 over 82 games last year and he didn't have a centre to play with. Lets assume he scores 28 goals and 60 points this year (he was on pace for 24 goals and 55 points over 82 last year). How much do you think those guys go for? We have a centre in the UFA market this year who scored 6 goals in 75 total games this year that's going to be paid 5.5M+ with term.

Kirby Dach is either going to be the 2C or 1C on this team, and if Toews is LTIR like you believe and your "sources" tell you, that just emphasizes his role even more. Bowman has shown he doesn't like to f*** around with players he views as stars. If Dach breaks out this year, we hope we can get him at 5.25M on a bridge.

Kurashev and Kalynuk are going to be second year pros. I expect both are going to play up and down the lineup throughout the year. We already know Bowman values Kurshev bc he refused to part with him in a Jones deal. And if they're overpaid in my roster, it's *negligible* at best.

Lankinen is a placehold for a starting goaltender. 5M seems to be about the going rate. Connor Murphy will get that somewhere as a UFA and it's not here, he still has to be replaced in our top-4.

Maybe Bowman can get Hagel at less than 1.9M if he plays hardball. When was the last time Bowman played hardball with anyone on a contract?

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary

View attachment 456929

Nicely done! Doesnt look bad at all, because to start the season we don't need to have the 1 extra f/d on active roster, so that's 2 mil relief right there (send down Mitchell and Barratt for opening day).

I also think there is a decent chance Murphy/Kubalik/Lankinen can be had for a little less so I assume we make up the -1.5 there. Caleb Jones is an odd man out though.

Looks absolutely doable. Especially with Connolly buy out/trade.

Of course we will have to see what Stan does next, is he bringing in additional cap this year? Is McCabe getting signed? Nylander and Kampf contracts.

Love playing around with Capfriendly but the day to day changes take a toll lol.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

This is all correct. I watch a lot of TBL ( use to live in Tampa) and he’s definitely a useful player. Will add some speed to our lineup.

The contract is what I don’t like, but otherwise a good add to our roster.

JBB is a magician!

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
So if the Hawks aren't counting on him returning, wouldn't it have made more sense to acquire a player who could be a very strong 1B or 2C centre behind Dach, instead of bringing in Johnson at 5M who's likely going to provide 3M worth of value tops? I get we no longer have to deal with Seabrook's contract but at least he could be LTIR away. Maybe Johnson gets shot into space, maybe Toews does too but now we're back to hoping players we've committed serious money too don't play for us? And the rebuild is over somehow?

No

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
Was it Laz or Powers that had a “source” telling them that the Hawks would need to give something stupid like Boqvist or DeBrincat to unload the Seabrook LTIR contract to another team? L-O-L

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Seth Jones is a 1D by reputation only, not actual performance.
Quit saying that the Hawks acquired a 1D because they didn't. They still don't have any top pairing defenders. They might have a #2 if Jones bounces back a bit....but until he plays and proves that he's top pairing quality the Hawks are in a worse position than they were Thursday evening.

Jones has to be a bonafide #1 for that trade and contract not to be a disaster. If he's anything less, Bowman just set the Hawks back a decade.

Seth Jones is NOT a 1D and I want to poke people with a cattle prod who say that he is.

You know how I know you don’t know hockey…?

Even called him a 2/3 D lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Reactions: SuterHaglshev

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
what the hell is Stan doing.

overpays to acquire Seth
extends Seth for 8 years at 1.5-2M per overpayment....

does not qualify Suter

acquires MAF even though he may never play with the hawks and gets no retained salary

Acquires Johnson who shitty and is on a terrible contract and gets only a draft pick in return

the hawks are headed right back to Cap hell it seems by design

unbelievable

someone has to stop Stan, Rocky needs to fire his ass ASAP

stop the bleeding, please!
These comments beg insults, but I will restrain myself. ALL THESE CAP HITS BUT THREE COME OFF IN TWO YEARS. You're not as smart as you think, or anyone else on this board thinking Seth Jones would have signed for 6.75 x 5.

Reactions: wahsnairb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad