Confirmed with Link: Tyler Johnson for Brent Seabrook

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yes. Plus the depth they can surround them with the cap space and LTIR space they just acquired.

They lost most of their depth this offseason

They will be putting guys from minors and cheap vets into depth roles like we did during reloads around core

There is nothing the Seabrook deal does to change that

Credit to TB for its development of prospects thru years and finding value vets on short term deals

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I would guess he gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-6 years and $5.5-6M AAV, which would put his deal ending right around the same time as Johnson's age wise.
Zach f***ing Hyman had an eight year deal at over 5 agreed upon with the Oilers. Somebody will give Danault right around 7x7. Top six centers, top four defenseman, and top six wingers with size or jam get paid through the nose and then some every single summer.

If Danault signs for 5x5, absolutely the better way to go. I'll gladly put a hundo on both numbers being above that if you're willing.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Zach f***ing Hyman had an eight year deal at over 5 agreed upon with the Oilers. Somebody will give Danault right around 7x7. Top six centers, top four defenseman, and top six wingers with size or jam get paid through the nose and then some every single summer.

If Danault signs for 5x5, absolutely the better way to go. I'll gladly put a hundo on both numbers being above that if you're willing.

Tomorrow is often a day of stupidity, so I wouldn't be shocked at all to see you correct. However, a team like Vegas that's rumored for Danault with no state income tax could get a "good" deal on him.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
stan not using something to his advantage isn’t a reason to make bad decisions, it’s a reason to fire Stan
There are like A LOT of reasons to fire Stan!

On this trade, I’m not a fan. I would have preferred we deal with the inflexibility and used $5m in cap space elsewhere. We have tons of bottom 6 forwards. I’d have rather given TB something of decent value to get Palat or Killorn.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Put aside your feelings towards Stan. Don't look at what is left on Johnson's contract (besides it's just money, so what.), let me ask you a question: if used correctly, can Tyler Johnson still be a effective player for the Hawks?

Reactions: tdfxman

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Put aside your feelings towards Stan. Don't look at what is left on Johnson's contract (besides it's just money, so what.), let me ask you a question: if used correctly, can Tyler Johnson still be a effective player for the Hawks?

I don't think anybody in here believes Johnson isn't a more-than-capable/above-average 3C to finish his deal. The term and dollars are what's concerning. There's a lot of players that play their role effectively but are signed too long and for too much. We have one now!

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Tomorrow is often a day of stupidity, so I wouldn't be shocked at all to see you correct. However, a team like Vegas that's rumored for Danault with no state income tax could get a "good" deal on him.
Barclay Goodrow has never scored more than eight goals in a season. He was on a 24 point pace this year over 82 games. He got five years at 3.6.

Teams should take the first three weeks of free agency off. Stupidity doesn't do it justice.

Reactions: tdfxman

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
They lost most of their depth this offseason

They will be putting guys from minors and cheap vets into depth roles like we did during reloads around core

There is nothing the Seabrook deal does to change that

Credit to TB for its development of prospects thru years and finding value vets on short term deals
And they have the next wave of forwards (Colton, Smith, Barre-Boulet, and Raddysh) who all dominated in the AHL, ready to step in and support that loss of 4/6 of their bottom Fs. That’s how you sustain a dynasty. The Hawks had a much harder time with it after the 2010 cup.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
I don't think anybody in here believes Johnson isn't a more-than-capable/above-average 3C to finish his deal. The term and dollars are what's concerning. There's a lot of players that play their role effectively but are signed too long and for too much. We have one now!

It's just money. All I care about is if he can still perform at a solid level, if he can, I don't give a crap about what's left on his contract.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I don't.... I don't hate this?

Tyler Johnson isn't worth 6 million, and certainly to Tampa, but honestly, what C on the market in UFA are they going to get for a 6x3 deal that's as good as Johnson? Anybody better than him is going to want more money and/or more term. 6 million is more than I'd pay for a 3C obviously, but 3 years or less is exactly the term I'd want for a role-player.

Guys like Getzlaf who would take less money and term as their career winds down will probably take discount deals for a contender, not a mediocre team like Chicago.

I could see him working as a 3C, or even a 2C with the Kane line, since that line is heavily sheltered and offensively deployed anyway.

The obvious questions about 'what exactly is the Blackhawks plan right now?' are still applicable. Johnson obviously isn't the piece that's going to make the Blackhawks contenders.

But in a vacuum..... I don't hate it. MAJOR cap issues next off-season though.

*shrugs*

Last edited:
Reactions: Muffinalt and migi

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
I don't.... I don't hate this?

Tyler Johnson isn't worth 6 million, and certainly to Tampa, but honestly, what C on the market in UFA are they going to get for a 6x3 deal that's as good as Johnson? Anybody better than him is going to want more money and/or more term. 6 million is more than I'd pay for a 3C obviously, but 3 years or less is exactly the term I'd want for a role-player.

Guys like Getzlaf who would take less money and term as their career winds down will probably take discount deals for a contender, not a mediocre team like Chicago.

I could see him working as a 3C, or even a 2C with the Kane line, since that line is heavily sheltered and offensively deployed anyway.

The obvious questions about 'what exactly is the Blackhawks plan right now?' are still applicable. Johnson obviously isn't the piece that's going to make the Blackhawks contenders.

But in a vacuum..... I don't hate it.

*shrugs*
You’ll also hate it slightly less (not hate it slightly more?) because his cap hit is 5m, not 6m.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
MAF is going to report to camp. Stan is going to assemble a roster that Flower can't not think, "f*** it, I'll play behind these guys for 6mil"

do think flower will report, guessing kane and toews will do their best pitch to him to make one last run at a cup

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
have to imagine there are multiple more moves to come, a total log jam at forward and defense, maybe Stan moves Shaw's contract as well, Strome is likely gone as well

Reactions: Muffinalt

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
If TB 3peats its because they have the best goalie , best forward and best dman in NHL on team

No other team has that

Also because they just are better than their division. Even then Tampa losing Gourde, Coleman, Johnson, Goodrow, and im sure some other depth guys im missing that pushed them over the top.

Also Tampa still only has 16 players signed with 7 million in cap. They will make another move unless they want to have 8 guys making league minimum in their lineup.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Wow jaw dropped when I read the title. Also was ready to get the pitchforks because it didn't say anything about the pick, phew thank god.

Nice trade imo, just couldn't imagine Seabs being off the books so soon. Johnson is a JC type though, will be nice middle sixer for us imo in the Hagel type. Fits the type of forwards we are going for.

Have to be very careful with the cap now. Some kind of a trade coming for a LHD I imagine.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Also because they just are better than their division. Even then Tampa losing Gourde, Coleman, Johnson, Goodrow, and im sure some other depth guys im missing that pushed them over the top.

Also Tampa still only has 16 players signed with 7 million in cap. They will make another move unless they want to have 8 guys making league minimum in their lineup.

TB won, like how the Blackhawks, or just about how any team wins....top end skill plus incredible depth. IMO, if you are not running three good lines, you are not winning, period. TB lost a lot of depth. Maybe they can replinsh that depth but right now their depth is a ???.

TB is not going to 3peat, imo. I mean we have not seen a 3peat in hockey since the late 70s/early 80s. A combination of long playoff runs and other teams getting better, probably means TB loses early in the playoffs next year.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Blackhawks just helped Tampa 3peat
It's the same as it's been in the past when we had those big cap problems.

Teams do not care for other teams problems first. Teams care about improving and getting better themself. Adding Johnson & a 2nd while getting rid of the Seabrook LTIR contract improves the team. It's the same with Fleury. Bowman does not care about other teams problems, he cares about the Hawks.

If TB wins, I don't care if its because of getting rid of Johnsons contract.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

Imagine with that leverage of cap space Stan had he only got a second out of them lol

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
I'm confused. Why would Tampa do this? Contracts on LTIR count towards your salary cap until the opening day, no?

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Sad to see TyJo go, but we had to do it. He got lot of hockey in him, always playing with lot of heart, still got the speed and had a good playoffs, playing center.

I'm sure he will be an useful player for you guys.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Imagine complaining about this trade. lol.....

Hawks major question mark and hole going into 2021-2022 was at center. Toews is still completely up in the air. You just got a serviceable middle six center(absolutely a 2C, if he plays with Kane(BRAD RICHARDS)), and a 2nd round pick....for nothing.

All I can do is laugh at some of you. When BWC is happy with the moves made, and you're not...you need to take a long f***ing look in the mirror.

The Hawks are ABSOLUTELY BETTER right now, than they were last season. And they still have some room to work with.

Reactions: Bubba88 and Gimp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad