Confirmed with Link: Tyler Johnson for Brent Seabrook

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

giphy.gif

CHI got a 2nd round pick to swap contracts. That's the value difference. It was literally... in the trade they made.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Getting Johnson who can pkay both C and W is giid versatile use move..

It covers deoth issue if Toews fails in comeback or if a top six winger getscinjured...he can move upto 2 top line role.

Johnson was inder-used in TB given alk the depth that forwards theyvhadvpastv2 seasons...

This way Reichel can start in Rocfordxandctakextinecto adjystvto NA smaller rink and tougher competition here.

IF REICHEL proves he bekingsci rgecshiw now then it gives JC options about who is 3C o 4C or if they want to go to ac4 line equal 5x5 roratation...

I think thec4th kine may be a lit morevoroductivevtgan we saw with the likes of Kampf and Carpenter etc..

I would buy our Carpenter but Stan said no buyouts ..so he coukd be stapledvto the bench 13th F.

So the fun starts on re-jiggingcalk the line combos...

Have at it.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
And nearly 2m in cap space...

I'm pretty damn sure you're missing the actual definition of "value" here. It's not meant as "monetary value".

Do you... not understand how LTIR works? With Seabrook, they could have effectively gone over the cap by his 6.8M caphit on LTIR. CHI might have "gained" 1.8M in real cap space, but they lost 6.8M in cap maneuverability. Which is why Tampa still paid us a 2nd round pick to make the deal.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Seth Jones is a 1D by reputation only, not actual performance.
Quit saying that the Hawks acquired a 1D because they didn't. They still don't have any top pairing defenders. They might have a #2 if Jones bounces back a bit....but until he plays and proves that he's top pairing quality the Hawks are in a worse position than they were Thursday evening.

Jones has to be a bonafide #1 for that trade and contract not to be a disaster. If he's anything less, Bowman just set the Hawks back a decade.

Seth Jones is NOT a 1D and I want to poke people with a cattle prod who say that he is.
I listen to NHL radio a lot. Not one person of well you know, former players, scouts, talking head or administrators from other teams agrees with you.
Nearly all (maybe all) have him as a top 20 D man in the league.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I don't mind having Johnson on the team, he's still a decent player.
Is he worth his contract? Not really. Maybe 4 years ago.

I'm not a huge fan of helping Tampa out of their cap crunch either.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
I'm confused. Why would Tampa do this? Contracts on LTIR count towards your salary cap until the opening day, no?
Offseason or in-season, LTIR is exactly the same. The only cap difference between in-season and offseason is that offseason (irrespective of LTIR) you can exceed the cap by 10%, whereas in-season you cannot exceed the cap.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Thisvoastcseason Johnson easc54.8% overall on draws...50.9% inOZ and over62% inDZ draws......

So there is that great benefit for the Hawks...

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Do you... not understand how LTIR works? With Seabrook, they could have effectively gone over the cap by his 6.8M caphit on LTIR. CHI might have "gained" 1.8M in real cap space, but they lost 6.8M in cap maneuverability. Which is why Tampa still paid us a 2nd round pick to make the deal.

Lol. I'm well-aware of how it works. The Seabs deal did not have more "value" to the Hawks than an NHL player. A middle 6, defensively responsible forward, who can play both wing and C, who has also put up over 20 goals 5 times in his career(well 4, but one of those was 19 goals so I'm counting it). The Seabs contract had very little actual value to most teams. It would basically help a team that needs it to meet the cap floor, or help a team who needs that LTIR space to try and move money around to get under the cap. TB needed that, and they paid a 2nd for it. Just because TB was over a barrel, and had to pony up something in return, does not mean that Seabs' contract had more "value"... that's f***ing nonsense, but I'm accustomed to that with you. Lol.

BTW... the Hawks still had to be under or very close to the cap before the start of the season, or risk issues with making moves later on.

Navigating the cap with numerous LTIR contracts is a confusing, and potentially costly issue. Unloading one of those contracts should be commended, not f***ing ridiculed.

Reactions: sharkhawk

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Unusual trade in that both teams gain cap space.
Chicago gains 1.8 m in real cap.
Tampa gains 1.8 m in LTIR space.

This is.. not how the cap or LTIR work. Johnson wasn't on LTIR. Tampa cleared his entire 5M caphit and gained Seabrook's full 6.8M in cap maneuverability.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Lol. I'm well-aware of how it works. The Seabs deal did not have more "value" to the Hawks than an NHL player. A middle 6, defensively responsible forward, who can play both wing and C, who has also put up over 20 goals 5 times in his career(well 4, but one of those was 19 goals so I'm counting it). The Seabs contract had very little actual value to most teams. It would basically help a team that needs it to meet the cap floor, or help a team who needs that LTIR space to try and move money around to get under the cap. TB needed that, and they paid a 2nd for it. Just because TB was over a barrel, and had to pony up something in return, does not mean that Seabs' contract had more "value"... that's f***ing nonsense.

Doesn't look like it.

An inactive player that can be placed on LTIR was traded for an active player. Because the LTIR relief has... *checks notes*... a 2nd round pick's more worth in value to a team tight against the cap than the active player himself. Obviously CHI couldn't have just dealt Seabrook to any team. But newsflash, Tampa couldn't just trad Johnson either, because they've been trying to give him away for *2 years*.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
:laugh:

You just keep saying this and it might become true... :sarcasm:

Name 32 D better than him.
Hedman
Fox
Makar
Heiskanen
Chychrun
Letang
Pietrangelo
Hamilton
Carlson
Josi
Ellis
Sergachev
Provorov
Lindholm
Fowler
D. Toews
Ekblad
Giordano
Burns
Doughty
Rielly
Pulock
McAvoy
Klingberg
Chabot
Slavin
Martinez
Girard
Ekholm
Petry
Weegar
Pesce

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Hedman
Fox
Makar
Heiskanen
Chychrun
Letang
Pietrangelo
Hamilton
Carlson
Josi
Ellis
Sergachev
Provorov
Lindholm
Fowler
D. Toews
Ekblad
Giordano
Burns
Doughty
Rielly
Pulock
McAvoy
Klingberg
Chabot
Slavin
Martinez
Girard
Ekholm

Lmao. For one, that's 29. For two, I'd argue that maybe half of those are actually better than SJ.

As you've always stated on your own, your player evaluation is f***ing horrible.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
I don't mind having Johnson on the team, he's still a decent player.
Is he worth his contract? Not really. Maybe 4 years ago.

I'm not a huge fan of helping Tampa out of their cap crunch either.
Tampa plays in a completely different conference, "helping them out if their cap crunch" is about as irrelevant as it gets. I swear some people around here are more concerned with sticking it to other teams that arent relevant to the hawks than the hawks actually being a better team. Im not a fan of the overall route the hawks chose to go, but once the jones deal was done, things like this seemed inevitable so we should be judging all the moves based on trying to compete right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->