Confirmed with Link: Tyler Johnson for Brent Seabrook

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
And someone like Keith last year will play the 1d minutes and get SMOKED like Keith did in the last months of the season. 1Ds don't grow on trees and aren't cheap.
Seth Jones is not a 1D. I wanna poke everyone with a hot cattle prod that says that.
tenor.gif

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
So like, is that 7 million dollar Fleury contract just going to loom over the Hawks during this free agency period?

If so, :huh::thumbd:. That's money that could be used elsewhere.

Reactions: BHFAN92

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
14th
9th
4th
18th

in Norris voting the 4 years before this last shortened season on a dumpster fire team that’s now blowing it up for like the 5th time in their short history… NOT a 1D. Got it.

Reactions: Muffinalt

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
Seth Jones is not a 1D. I wanna poke everyone with a hot cattle prod that says that.
tenor.gif
Is Seth Jones a replacement level 1D? A REPLACEMENT LEVEL 1D ON THE HAWKS IS AN IMPROVEMENT OVER ANY OF THE GUYS ON THE HAWKS ROSTER WHO COULD PLAY 1D MINUTES BECAUSE LIKE KEITH LAST YEAR AT CRUNCH TIME THEY WOULD BE SUB-REPLACEMENT LEVEL 1Ds. Don't you understand that? Name the player you would have taking the 1d minutes. Tell me how in this league SB could get an actual 1d besides Seth Jones onto the Hawks roster. I'm waiting.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Obviously it is. Try being a f***ing realist instead of a pessimist for once. You overpaid almost every contract you listed.

Did you just start watching the Blackhawks? The Hawks just overpaid a defenseman and traded for an overpaid middle six forward.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Didn’t see this move coming. I’ve always been a big Tyler Johnson fan - he’s the kind of guy you win with in the playoffs.

Only concern would be if his body starts to crumble, seems he’s often injured or playing banged up. Worth the risk though given there are only a few years left anyway.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Overpaid every player? f***ing how? And I'm the pessimist?

Kubalik already has a 30 goal year under his belt. He was on pace for 24 over 82 games last year and he didn't have a centre to play with. Lets assume he scores 28 goals and 60 points this year (he was on pace for 24 goals and 55 points over 82 last year). How much do you think those guys go for? We have a centre in the UFA market this year who scored 6 goals in 75 total games this year that's going to be paid 5.5M+ with term.

Kirby Dach is either going to be the 2C or 1C on this team, and if Toews is LTIR like you believe and your "sources" tell you, that just emphasizes his role even more. Bowman has shown he doesn't like to f*** around with players he views as stars. If Dach breaks out this year, we hope we can get him at 5.25M on a bridge.

Kurashev and Kalynuk are going to be second year pros. I expect both are going to play up and down the lineup throughout the year. We already know Bowman values Kurshev bc he refused to part with him in a Jones deal. And if they're overpaid in my roster, it's *negligible* at best.

Lankinen is a placehold for a starting goaltender. 5M seems to be about the going rate. Connor Murphy will get that somewhere as a UFA and it's not here, he still has to be replaced in our top-4.

Maybe Bowman can get Hagel at less than 1.9M if he plays hardball. When was the last time Bowman played hardball with anyone on a contract?

The Hawks just didn't qualify Suter because people think he's going to get around 4 mil. Kubalik is easily going to get 5-6 mil on his next contract if hes halfway decent.

As an aside, its weird to say we get out 1C and 2C back this year as a justification for getting Jones and Fleury and then talk out of the other side of their mouth how we can't count on Toews coming back as justification for getting Johnson.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
And someone like Keith last year will play the 1d minutes and get SMOKED like Keith did in the last months of the season. 1Ds don't grow on trees and aren't cheap.

Check out who Columbus' 1D was last year and then look at their defensive record

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I wonder what the lines look like now. Johnson can play wing too and could take faceoff for Dach as his RW and then could throw Kubalik on the LW. If Toews returns you might be able to have a dynamite first line of Cat-Toews-Kane.

Or you could have the start of a real nice third line with Kurashev-Johnson-Hagel.

Lots of options after this move.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I wonder what the lines look like now. Johnson can play wing too and could take faceoff for Dach as his RW and then could throw Kubalik on the LW. If Toews returns you might be able to have a dynamite first line of Cat-Toews-Kane.

Or you could have the start of a real nice third line with Kurashev-Johnson-Hagel.

Lots of options after this move.

I think Kubalik and DeBrincat are locked in as top-6 LWs and Kane a top-6 RW. It seems Johnson's best fit would be as our 3C.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Bowman’s history of high draft picks has been lousy, maybe he finally acknowledged he sucks at it and is going a different route. I have no issue with trying to make a team more competitive, this tanking crap for picks is such a long shot, especially with Bowman picking. We just seen the Habs ride a hot goalie and quality system all the way to the finals. Not that I have any faith in our coaches but at least there is something more to look forward to then when some 19 year old might get called up and disappoint.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
So I popped over to capfriendly. I signed Dach to a bridge deal of 3 years at 5.25M. I signed Kubalik to a 5-year deal at 6.5M. I expect Kurashev and Kalynuk to be retained and have decent roles this year, so they're both making 2.25M and 2.0M on 2-year deals. Depending on how well they perform this year, who knows if that'll be enough to retain either. I signed Lankinen for 5M, but that's really just a place holder because whether it's him or someone else, CHI will need a goaltender next year and you usually have to pay for one of those. I also have CHI signing Hagel to a 2-year deal at 1.9M this off-season, signing McCabe to a 3-year deal at 3.5M and next year either retaining or replacing Connor Murphy in their D at 5.5M per. Keep in mind, some guys are just place holders but at the bottom of the lineup, the money diff is negligible. This is what we get:

View attachment 456929
they can pretty easily trade that 2nd they just got with connolly and move him.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
i have no idea what they are going to do with all the forwards they have this year but adding tyler johnson isnt the worst thing. More center winger depth and adding real cap to sign McCabe is big. I wonder if bowman is regretting the Borgstrom Connolly trade now.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Bowman’s history of high draft picks has been lousy, maybe he finally acknowledged he sucks at it and is going a different route. I have no issue with trying to make a team more competitive, this tanking crap for picks is such a long shot, especially with Bowman picking. We just seen the Habs ride a hot goalie and quality system all the way to the finals. Not that I have any faith in our coaches but at least there is something more to look forward to then when some 19 year old might get called up and disappoint.

The man has had 2 picks in the top-10 during his tenure. The Hawks have only picked inside the top-15 twice. What history are you talking about? His total 1st round history, that has consisted of 10 first round picks, and of the ones we can properly gauge, has resulted in Hayes, Schmaltz, Danault and Teravainen all becoming top-6/9 forwards. Jokiharju and Boqvist on their way and *likely* becoming top-4 Dmen. Ryan Hartman a middle-six winger. And one bust, Mark McNeill.

The f***ing Habs man. Lmao.

Reactions: bwana63

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Didn’t see this move coming. I’ve always been a big Tyler Johnson fan - he’s the kind of guy you win with in the playoffs.

Only concern would be if his body starts to crumble, seems he’s often injured or playing banged up. Worth the risk though given there are only a few years left anyway.

LTIRetirement and sent to Arizona to finish career

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad