OT: TV and Movie Suggestions for the Self Isolated

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Just committed $10 a month for Crave TV for a stretch. Want to indulge in The Wire again. It’s so crazy old school season one the Cops are working with typewriters still.

Also need to catch up on Curb. Also might want to catch up on True Detective season 1.

I Will have my hands full for a bit.
If you haven’t seen it yet, I highly recommend the movie “Yesterday”.

Also - “Barry” is one of the best series out there currently.

Reactions: Gm0ney and ps241

Brian Cadle Fan

Sep 15, 2011
I was going to see if I could locate DVDs of the Shōgun miniseries from 1980, and thought I’d check YouTube first. There turned out to be a good quality upload of the entire 9 hours. I remember enjoying this when it was first shown, and hadn’t really thought about it since. I enjoyed re-watching the entire show. One thing that impressed me was the Japanese characters were all played by Japanese actors, and when they spoke it was in Japanese with no subtitles.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Zero zero zero on amazon prime was really good. Sort of a Narcos but with more emphasis on the people involved in buying, selling and shipping the drugs.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I was going to see if I could locate DVDs of the Shōgun miniseries from 1980, and thought I’d check YouTube first. There turned out to be a good quality upload of the entire 9 hours. I remember enjoying this when it was first shown, and hadn’t really thought about it since. I enjoyed re-watching the entire show. One thing that impressed me was the Japanese characters were all played by Japanese actors, and when they spoke it was in Japanese with no subtitles.

Plus Toshiro Mifune is in it, 'nuff said. I'm a big fan of the Kurosawa/Mifune movies. I remember watching Shogun when I was a kid and have always wanted to rewatch it now that I actually know who Mifune is.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I realized today the that the new Unknown Soldier is actually a miniseries that was made into a movie by cutting up the miniseries, and the movie was released a year before the actual miniseries in 2017. Saw the movie, never heard it was a miniseries. Typical Finnish marketing, "let's sit on our asses, they will come".

Highly, highly recommended. It's almost as good as Band of Brothers IMO. Can be found on HBO Nordic at least.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
To whoever recommended Broadchurch..... thank you!

only 3 episodes in but it’s VERY good.
I was one of the people who recommended but probably not the only. Easily one of the best murder mystery TV Series ever made. The acting is just unreal.

If you like that series, you’ll probably like “The Fall” as well. It has Gillian Anderson with a weird accent, and the dude from 50 Shades of Grey. But honestly it’s really good. Kind of a reverse mystery because you know who the killer is at the beginning.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I was one of the people who recommended but probably not the only. Easily one of the best murder mystery TV Series ever made. The acting is just unreal.

If you like that series, you’ll probably like “The Fall” as well. It has Gillian Anderson with a weird accent, and the dude from 50 Shades of Grey. But honestly it’s really good. Kind of a reverse mystery because you know who the killer is at the beginning.

Ooh, so it's like Columbo? :laugh:

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I have already watched the fall. You’re right though, the acting in Broadchurch is top notch!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Decide to buy Crave just finished rewatching the first season of “The Wire” which is a masterpiece.

First 6 episodes are slow though. As the special unit starts getting their shit together it really gets good. How they handle the politics of the police department is excellent.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I now have Netflix, Crave and Amazon Prime. My streaming cup runneth over. Really should watch season 2 of Counterpart, even though I know I'm going to be pissed off that the story arc will come to a screeching halt without a proper resolution.

Reactions: Gm0ney and ps241

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Everyone go watch The Boys season 1. Season 2 comes out Sept. 4 and it is my most anticipated season of TV in a long time. First season was phenomenal.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I have already watched the fall. You’re right though, the acting in Broadchurch is top notch!
I just discovered last night that FOX did an Americanized version of Broadchurch called “Gracepoint”. It’s on Amazon. And it has the exact same lead actor David Tennant! With an American accent. The wife from Breaking Bad is also in it. AND, predictably, it’s absolutely terrible. LOL...

Why mess with perfection? They did the exact same thing with The IT Crowd using the same actor from the British series in the Americanized version. It didn’t last past the pilot.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
1960’s and 70’s WW2 movies...
Patton, A Bridge too Far, The Dirty Dozen, Tora ! Tora! Tora!, and The Bridge over the River Kwai...

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
1960’s and 70’s WW2 movies...
Patton, A Bridge too Far, The Dirty Dozen, Tora ! Tora! Tora!, and The Bridge over the River Kwai...
The Bridge over the River Kwai - Top 10 all time movies.
And the sequel - River City White Out

Nov 24, 2006
To whoever recommended Broadchurch..... thank you!

only 3 episodes in but it’s VERY good.
I am mid way through season 2 and there’s a couple of things that stick out. The cinematography is some of the best I’ve seen. They are also good at adding music at the right time to create tension.

I’ve been really struggling with the Scottish guys accent. He’s difficult to understand. Only last night did I think to turn on the subtitles. So helpful.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Decide to buy Crave just finished rewatching the first season of “The Wire” which is a masterpiece.

First 6 episodes are slow though. As the special unit starts getting their shit together it really gets good. How they handle the politics of the police department is excellent.
Everyone raves about season 4 but I didn’t care too much for it. The first 2 are the TV at its best.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Everyone raves about season 4 but I didn’t care too much for it. The first 2 are the TV at its best.

I am midway through season 3 right now on my second go around and enjoying it again. The Docks sorority arc in Season 2 was As good as it gets.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Richard Jewell was an excellent movie...it was added to Crave this week. Directed by Clint Eastwood.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Richard Jewell was an excellent movie...it was added to Crave this week. Directed by Clint Eastwood.
Watched it too, very good, Clint does another great job. I really like Sam Rockwell and he was excellent, underrated actor .

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Watched it too, very good, Clint does another great job. I really like Sam Rockwell and he was excellent, underrated actor .
Kathy Bates was the one who was nominated, but Paul Walter Hauser and Sam Rockwell were more deserving.

Reactions: Jets 31

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I’ve been watching a lot of The Simpsons lately. Anything in the first 12-13 seasons is pretty good, though after ten they start to become more hit or miss. The show really went downhill after Season 13 though, in my opinion.

The early stuff is good but they really started to hit their stride around season 3 or 4. There’s tons of great episodes. I also have a fondness for season 9, that might even be my favourite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad