Confirmed with Link: Tucker Poolman signed (3 years, 775K AAV)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree. I wonder also if this the beginning of the post-Trouba Era succession planning, or at least some insurance against a Trouba trade. If Poolman can hold his own alongside Morrissey and Buff can whisper Morrow, Niku or Left D X into a capable pairing, we might Penguins our way to a decent result.
Maybe it's "making room for Trouba and Morrissey making big money by going near league-minimum on the bottom pair" succession planning?

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Oh? How not? 775k isn't close to what 3/4 Dmen make. He will be 28 when this deal expires.
Every player like every person is different. Choices made for one is not the same as another would make, nor does it make one or the other right in any circumstance.

Salary is guaranteed, 3 years of salary which offers a lot of piece of mind if that is a priority. He may have gotten more annually but on less term and also not have it be a one way contract.

Pretty basic and simple, planning financially is not one path that all should follow. It varies from situation to situation and person to person. He felt this was a strong positive obviously. He will also be a UFA after this deal when he still is pretty young for a D man and could substantially capitalize on that.

Taking this route absolutely does not mean he sees himself as only ever being a bottom end fringe player. He may be that but deciding this is what he wanted doesn't mean it either will be or indicates a lack of confidence in his ability to be more.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Some comments on this board and Facebook about Poolman taking Trouba's job. Wow are they out to lunch.
I like Poolman but taking Trouba's job at a #1 shut down??! C'mon now.

Yeah, if Trouba goes it'll be Buff to carry the load. He's the only other RHD we have that can do it right now for us.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Awesome deal. Eats up two UFA years if I'm not mistaken. If he can improve to a solid 2nd pair/good 3rd pair guy this deal will be perfect for both sides.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We will be in good shape Sami Niku available now and in the near future will be Dylan Samberg, Jacob Cederholm and Logan Stanley.
Defence is not a problem.

:laugh: It is a problem if you are counting on Jacob Cederholm and Logan Stanley at this point. Cederholm didn't even get an ELC and Stanley still needs to improve his D play a lot before he is NHL ready. Cederholm is the only right hander in your list.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Trading Perreault then adding someone at deadline is a lateral move in my mind. I think Jets bridge Jmo to have more flexibility this year to be able to add someone.
Having room means keeping 85 ( or another player ) and also adding a impacting player at the deadline much more likely. That is the point of having flexibility and not being so restricted.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Every player like every person is different. Choices made for one is not the same as another would make, nor does it make one or the other right in any circumstance.

Salary is guaranteed, 3 years of salary which offers a lot of piece of mind if that is a priority. He may have gotten more annually but on less term and also not have it be a one way contract.

Pretty basic and simple, planning financially is not one path that all should follow. It varies from situation to situation and person to person. He felt this was a strong positive obviously. He will also be a UFA after this deal when he still is pretty young for a D man and could substantially capitalize on that.

Taking this route absolutely does not mean he sees himself as only ever being a bottom end fringe player. He may be that but deciding this is what he wanted doesn't mean it either will be or indicates a lack of confidence in his ability to be more.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but it is a huge stretch - huge - if he believes he is a 3-4 Dman. He is giving up about 10 mil on the life of this contract if he is in fact a 2nd pair D. If this contract doesn't say that's what he believes of himself I don't know what would. But you can believe anything you want.

Reactions: Board Bard

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Yeah, yeah, yeah, but it is a huge stretch - huge - if he believes he is a 3-4 Dman. He is giving up about 10 mil on the life of this contract if he is in fact a 2nd pair D. If this contract doesn't say that's what he believes of himself I don't know what would. But you can believe anything you want.
No he isn't, that you can't understand some basic premises doesn't mean what you said ( or say ) is correct.

I am not going to TRY to educate any further on this point besides this: You think if he simply believed he was a 3/4 now he would have gotten a salary commensurate to one? And NO ONE said nor believes he is "in fact" a true 3/4 at this point after the season he had.

Of course you can believe anything you want, but once again because you do does not make it accurate.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
No he isn't, that you can't understand some basic premises doesn't mean what you said ( or say ) is correct.

I am not going to TRY to educate any further on this point besides this: You think if he simply believed he was a 3/4 now he would have gotten a salary commensurate to one? And NO ONE said nor believes he is "in fact" a true 3/4 at this point after the season he had.

Of course you can believe anything you want, but once again because you do does not make it accurate.

The fact Trouba believes he’s #1D and wants to be paid as one hasn’t made him one, nor paid as one :D

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
It's funny to hear people say $775,000 is a low salary. I'd take that in a heart beat to play a game as great as hockey yet I also understand $775,000 is low for NHL standards. The guy makes more than most doctors with that salary though so he's definitely not hurting. Great deal for the Jets, happy to have Poolman locked up for 3 more years, solid bottom pairing D-Man.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
No idea what his bonus clauses might have been. I'm not being too serious, but how much would he need to dig in his heels to get a 25k signing bonus? :laugh:
Signing bonus is built into a contract's final total. It's important only if there is a lock out. I believe he is not eligible for performance bonus money. I think you have to have a entry level contract or be over age 35 to have performance bonus contracts.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Team friendly deal, with the chance of being a Stanley cup champ in the next 3 years. Could be a late bloomer and finally cash in at 28, I like him even more.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Interesting deal. Seems like a good price for a press box - 3rd pairing d man. Plus he has a bit of upside so whatès not to like

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Why?
Jmo Trouba
Kuli buff
Morrow Myers
Chiarot Poolman
They will keep 8 d and 13 forwards is my guess, with Dano being the only extra forward.
Nice to see my fave former prospect locked up! He's ready for third pair now. Play the kid!

Niku is better than half of those guys.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I can't believe Poolman agreed to such a low AAV :amazed:
Good for the Jets though, no risk at all

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
He will start year with Moose and gets lots of ice and then finish with Jets much like Roslo did last year imo.
Plus injuries always happen on the D. He will get his share of games. It's just that he can be sent back and forth without losing him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad