TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Am I missing something here but Gord seemed adamant that Karlsson as a mid season rental the price would start at Nylander and our 1st....That is more then San Jose gave up for him at the beginning of the season. Where do they come up with the logic for this kind of stuff?

Media are generally really really bad at estimating trade value for guys. They will completely ignore things like the salary cap, age, contract length, etc, and just hammer away at "best player in the deal".

Pending UFAs (especially those with significant injury concerns) don't get 22 year old top line players under contract for 6 years in return. They just don't.

Reactions: AreBe

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
You know what really grinds my gears? The constant use of the phrase "to your point". I watch the second hour of Leafs Lunch whenever it's on TV. I don't think that since Andi P took over there has been one show where somebody hasn't used it. From Andi, Gord, McKenzie...on and on, it just doesn't stop. One person can make a statement and the next person has to say said phrase even though they are speaking directly to the first person. It's way too overused. And Kypreos is the absolute worst. I think he used it 4 times one night in one segment on HNIC. Just stop it.

And that's what really grinds my gears.
"Grinds my Gears" to your point on that point
Talking heads filling the air trying to look like soothsayers
A newsworthy 1/2 story they are trying to appoint
Just don't let it be about a baseball player!
hqdefault.jpg

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
This thread seems to be off the rails with nothing but anti-media / "fake news" dismissive comments.

No one is safe:

LeBrun sucks
Kyper sucks
Dreger sucks
Johnson sucks
Mackenzie sucks too!

No one has an original thought, no one has sources, no one has experience, etc.

Everyone is bad at coaching, bad at playing in the NHL, bad at reporting news items related to hockey, etc.

When will it end?
If it bleeds, it leads
Good news stories do not make for a story or opinion or tweet that one would press send
Insatiable demand and aside from gloating over a meaningless mid season win, they are scouring for news feeds
Or maybe I am completely wrong, and to my own pot filled garden I shall tend

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
Mitch Marner guessed something like 16 in an intermission trivia thing between him and Dvorak back in London.
Good Canadian Kids do not always go to NCAA for 'edjucashion'
CHL has a scholarship plan so post hockey the players go to university, debate Plato and have an opinion
Hockey is good for the person individually and also for the whole, for the entire nation
At least with a degree, if plan A does not work, the player is not going to be a whore house found-in!
Brothel
(Salon at the Rue des Moulins, 1894, oil on canvas, Museum Toulouse-Lautrec) -whor are the missing letters - BROTHEL! jeesz more difficult than I thought!
1024px-Au_Salon_de_la_rue_des_Moulins_-_Henri_de_Toulouse-Lautrec.jpg
Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I like hearing Carlo analyze hockey games. That being said, is it just me or are they pumping his tires way too much? It is almost making me uncomfortable how much his co-workers and callers pump his tires like he is Sundin or Kaberle or something.

Reactions: Joey Hoser

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Today on Leafs lunch, Craig Button yelled at Andi for 20 minutes because she asked if the Leafs have a weak link.

What f***ing garbage that show has turned into. Who wants to listen to that?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I like hearing Carlo analyze hockey games. That being said, is it just me or are they pumping his tires way too much? It is almost making me uncomfortable how much his co-workers and callers pump his tires like he is Sundin or Kaberle or something.

Yeah it's definitely weird. Carlo is OK at best, and I much prefer Cauz. I have no idea why Lansberg and callers constantly gush over how great he is.

Even if it was true, it's weird.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Today on Leafs lunch, Craig Button yelled at Andi for 20 minutes because she asked if the Leafs have a weak link.

What ****ing garbage that show has turned into. Who wants to listen to that?

I dont even listen to it anymore. Which should be terrifying to TSN if diehard Leafs fans are giving up on it. Its basically this now

"Hey did you know im Italian?"

"LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING"

"I was speaking to all 31 NHL GMs yesterday"

Its sad how far its fallen. Even Sportsnet beats it out with Kypreos and Maclean constantly interuupting the host and a guest having a legitimate conversation to tell a stupid joke then literally go

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

Last edited:

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
As most other posters have said, some of the schticks that they use are growing old.
The whole Italian thing for 1st up

Leafs Lunch with Craig Button (Who actually said a few weeks ago that he doesn't consider Marner to be "electrifying" and doesn't believe he gets people to the edge of their seats)

I can't stand Scotty Mac by himself but he's good when cohosting Overdrive.

Overdrive just does the same thing over and over but the more freeflowing coversations are generally good.

Jeff Blair is the epitome of an ass. Thinks he knows more than everyone else but is just clueless and selfserving. Also the Raptors and Leafs are arguably both top 5 in their league and are legitimate contenders - why the hell does he talk about the Jays 3 hours a day.

Hockey Central is just a cesspool of idiocy with odd decent discussion poking through.

Good Show is actually fantastic for younger people. They keep it light but not childish while having some fantastic interviews from an entertainment perspective.

PTS is basically the more aggressive version of Jeff Blairs show, haven't listened to it in ages. Mcown is terribly annoying.

Weekend shows on The Fan are actually good aswell with George Rusic and the other guy. (Can't believe I'm gapping the his name)

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013

I stopped listening to LL a while ago, I can't stand the nasally one and the hot takes they have daily is other worldly.

Overdrive is still a decent listen only because of the chemistry between the 3. They are more entertainers than actual sports talk (My favorite recent interaction was when Hayes outed his friend who had an adult circumcision and the shenanigans that followed)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I dont even listen to it anymore. Which should be terrifying to TSN if diehard Leafs fans are giving up on it. Its basically this now

"Hey did you know im Italian?"

"LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING"

"I was speaking to all the 31 NHL GMs yesterday"

Its sad how far its fallen. Even Sportsnet beats it out with Kypreos and Maclean constantly interuupting the host and a guess having a legitimate conversation to tell a stupid joke then literally go

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

haha perfect summation of the 3 of them. Gord miller is a joke as is Button. Petrillo is just over her head trying to control a show with such massive ego maniacs trying to pass off their opinions (terrible opinions) as fact.

Gord Miller has to be one of the most condescending arrogant people on Toronto radio/tv

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Button and Miller are total arrogance. Andi is cute but sometimes too cute for a hockey show. I have kinda turned it off.
Overdrive makes me laugh. Interaction of 3 guys is kinda stupid funny. Hayes is pretty good. Either that or Sirius 33 for me.

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
As most other posters have said, some of the schticks that they use are growing old.
The whole Italian thing for 1st up

Leafs Lunch with Craig Button (Who actually said a few weeks ago that he doesn't consider Marner to be "electrifying" and doesn't believe he gets people to the edge of their seats)

I can't stand Scotty Mac by himself but he's good when cohosting Overdrive.

Overdrive just does the same thing over and over but the more freeflowing coversations are generally good.

Jeff Blair is the epitome of an ass. Thinks he knows more than everyone else but is just clueless and selfserving. Also the Raptors and Leafs are arguably both top 5 in their league and are legitimate contenders - why the hell does he talk about the Jays 3 hours a day.

Hockey Central is just a cesspool of idiocy with odd decent discussion poking through.

Good Show is actually fantastic for younger people. They keep it light but not childish while having some fantastic interviews from an entertainment perspective.

PTS is basically the more aggressive version of Jeff Blairs show, haven't listened to it in ages. Mcown is terribly annoying.

Weekend shows on The Fan are actually good aswell with George Rusic and the other guy. (Can't believe I'm gapping the his name)
I think it is tough to be a producer of a sports radio show in this city
We have Kawhi freaking Leonard - the biggest sports star by far since Toronto's World series fame
And their bosses demand instant gratification for the insatiable demand for the Leafs! How S*itty!
Reduces sports radio journalists- who may be quite clever - to a bunch of fan boy Leafs fart catchers, it's all the same!

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018

Weekend shows are definitely solid. I can't even remember which station but Rob Wong is pretty solid too (albeit not overly entertaining). Another show is interesting is that Sport Market show, Saturday morning maybe? Discusses sports from the business/revenue side of things. And then there's no better NFL prep show (at least for gambling/fantasy) than Inside the Lines Sunday morning.

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
Weekend shows are definitely solid. I can't even remember which station but Rob Wong is pretty solid too (albeit not overly entertaining). Another show is interesting is that Sport Market show, Saturday morning maybe? Discusses sports from the business/revenue side of things. And then there's no better NFL prep show (at least for gambling/fantasy) than Inside the Lines Sunday morning.
I listen - by a wide margin - more to the Fan
More variety than what I consider to be Leafs heavy 1050, them grasping at straws leaves me snoring
I have a radio at work and do listen to them both but I do seek out Prime Time Sports and get my Bobcat and Brunt tan
I like Overdrive too but in my view it is so Leafs focused they are reviewing worn terrain making it boring!

Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013

Agreeing makes for boring radio so they need to take sides "Are the Leafs awesome or are they great?"
Leafs Chat, Leafs Talk, and then Leafs Beat is what they need to air to pay the bills even if it's a bit flat
"What AHL goon can the Leafs get for Nylander - the Eurortash speedster?" The idiot debate
Slow news days, beat writers trying to concoct fake controversy, and that's that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad