TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
No, its national. The Raptors do not draw well on TV
Yeah the Raptors have made big steps in gaining popularity inside the city of Toronto but they really have not managed to grow into a national brand the same way as say the Jays who maybe don't have the same fanbase inside the city of Toronto as the Raptors do(Maybe they do?) but across the country the Jays are massive basically coast to coast.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
But they actually don't talk about all the RFAs. Only 2. That is my point.
In fact, Toronto Star had an article recently stating Johnsson and Kapanen might get offersheets.
It's getting ridiculous.

I hear them talking about Laine and Rantanen quite a bit too. I would expect Toronto media to focus more on Toronto players.

Reactions: MsMeow

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Notice though jo other teams' RFAs are even discussed? And that includes the current NHL scoring leader. Mitch's dad, Paul actually commented on that last week.

They are simply using this to try to get more attention. It is cheap.

Talk might be cheap, but its actually not cheap as the potential of OS drives up prices.

Dubas is in a tough spot because of OS potential. How is he realistically going to get players under contract at valued prices going forward with OS $$ driving up costs.

I believe Dubas & Leafs management would be naive if they don't think behind closed doors in conversations that pending RFA players at the level of AM and MM are not going to use that as leverage. Even if Leafs management is prepared to match any and all official OS to make sure they don't lose the player, the price to retain them will impact the Leafs team and cap going forward significantly.

$83 mil cap ceiling next year X 20% CBA max allowable contract / player = $16.6 mil OS limit.

Its hard to imagine Matthews agent signing off on $11 mil AAV for Auston early, when potentially he could be leaving $5 mil on the table. The closer RFA status gets the more difficult it will become.

Reactions: AreBe

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Talk might be cheap, but its actually not cheap as the potential of OS drives up prices.

Dubas is in a tough spot because of OS potential. How is he realistically going to get players under contract at valued prices going forward with OS $$ driving up costs.

I believe Dubas & Leafs management would be naive if they don't think behind closed doors in conversations that pending RFA players at the level of AM and MM are not going to use that as leverage. Even if Leafs management is prepared to match any and all official OS to make sure they don't lose the player, the price to retain them will impact the Leafs team and cap going forward significantly.

$83 mil cap ceiling next year X 20% CBA max allowable contract / player = $16.6 mil OS limit.

Its hard to imagine Matthews agent signing off on $11 mil AAV for Auston early, when potentially he could be leaving $5 mil on the table. The closer RFA status gets the more difficult it will become.

No one is giving Matthews 16 million. that's silly. It's like when I hear Marner could get 13 million+. It's not happening.
Again, none of this talk occurs for any other RFAs.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
You need to work in the Leafs. Afterall, we're the only team that apparently has to worry about it, despite being the team with literally the most assets to counter it.

I think most of the talk comes from the fact that we have probably the least amount of assets (cap room) of the teams with high profile RFAs. And we're also one of the only team with two high profile RFAs.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
But they actually don't talk about all the RFAs. Only 2. That is my point.
In fact, Toronto Star had an article recently stating Johnsson and Kapanen might get offersheets.
It's getting ridiculous.

We are in the most precarious position RFA wise in the largest media centric market in the league. It's to be expected.

That being said, there has been some discussion regarding the numerous other high profile RFAs due for a new contract this off season. It just so happens that we have more of them than any other team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No one is giving Matthews 16 million. that's silly. It's like when I hear Marner could get 13 million+. It's not happening.
Again, none of this talk occurs for any other RFAs.

Auston Matthews as a RFA would be similar to John Tavares as a UFA in interest...

The only difference is the pick compensation on a successful signing.

Don't underestimate a deep pocket team like the NYR offering a 7 X $15 mil /season OS to Matthews to come and be the star on Broadway.

Leafs will likely match any and all OS for AM and MM regardless of $$, but it would put them into cap hell, and cause other players to be moved for cap reasons.

The point being its leverage in contract negotiations for the players even if they don't officially sign an offer sheet and give the Leafs full opportunity to give them reasonable contract offers relative to the dollar amount.

PS.. We don't know if teams are coveting other players as well that might become RFAs.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Potential line up if Matty gets offer sheeted at 15-16M:

Hyman Tavares Marner
Marleau Kadri Kappanen
Jonsson Nylander Brown

+ Grundstrom pushing...
+ 4 first round picks
+ We can now keep Gardiner with the money savings from not signing Matthews

We're still in great shape if the nuclear option is tripped (offer sheet).

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Auston Matthews as a RFA would be similar to John Tavares as a UFA in interest...

The only difference is the pick compensation on a successful signing.

Don't underestimate a deep pocket team like the NYR offering a 7 X $15 mil /season OS to Matthews to come and be the star on Broadway.

Leafs will likely match any and all OS for AM and MM regardless of $$, but it would put them into cap hell, and cause other players to be moved for cap reasons.

The point being its leverage in contract negotiations for the players even if they don't officially sign an offer sheet and give the Leafs full opportunity to give them reasonable contract offers relative to the dollar amount.

PS.. We don't know if teams are coveting other players as well that might become RFAs.
I remember when Steven Stamkos was an RFA there was some people in the media who thought the Leafs should give him an offer sheet because of him being from Toronto and needing a franchise star who is a #1 Centre. We all know that never happened and it's why nothing will happen with Matthews, because my prediction is he signs his next contract before July 1, 2019 and never becomes a RFA.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I remember when Steven Stamkos was an RFA there was some people in the media who thought the Leafs should give him an offer sheet because of him being from Toronto and needing a franchise star who is a #1 Centre. We all know that never happened and it's why nothing will happen with Matthews, because my prediction is he signs his next contract before July 1, 2019 and never becomes a RFA.

Stamkos is a great example. Coming of a 60 goal season he got 0 offers.
Stone getting 0 offers last year shows something is up.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

I don’t see the connection as to why no OS for Matthews.

If some of these RFAs make it to July, I hope we see a few OS.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think people on this site are being brainwashed by the medai's laughably fear-mongering of OS to only Leaf fans. You have to realize, they do this not for fact, just for additonal readers/listeners.
Kypreos went on TV last week and complained multiple teams are already speaking to MM and AM's agents. It's ridiculous.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think most of the talk comes from the fact that we have probably the least amount of assets (cap room) of the teams with high profile RFAs. And we're also one of the only team with two high profile RFAs.
No, we actually have the most cap room of all those teams.
The talk exists because we are the biggest fanbase.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Anyone else catch the drama on Twitter last night with Jeff Veillette (Jeffler)?

Some random twitter account (looked like a burner) called him our for a slew of things like being involved in an FBI investigation, getting expelled from Ryerson University and having numerous reddit accounts. Jeffler briefly touched on some of the allegations.

What is this all about?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
With all this speculation about offer sheets people need to remember two things. First, the player has to accept the offer and there is no guarantee that will happen. Second, Dubas has said they are prepared and that he isn't even remotely worried about offer sheets.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
We can't pay Matthews 16M and surround him with talent. If he is offer sheeted 16M we take the 4 first round picks and we can now likely afford to keep all of Nylander/Kappy/Gardner.
If it's Arizona that offer sheets him those 4 first rounders are all that much better.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Anyone else catch the drama on Twitter last night with Jeff Veillette (Jeffler)?

Some random twitter account (looked like a burner) called him our for a slew of things like being involved in an FBI investigation, getting expelled from Ryerson University and having numerous reddit accounts. Jeffler briefly touched on some of the allegations.

What is this all about?
People are just out to get Jeffler.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
People are just out to get Jeffler.
I dunno man.

He is a bit of a hypocrite and does a lot of the same things that he complains about. I'd be interested to find out why he was expelled. Could be very telling as to why he can't get a job with a media company.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I dunno man.

He is a bit of a hypocrite and does a lot of the same things that he complains about. I'd be interested to find out why he was expelled. Could be very telling as to why he can't get a job with a media company.
He mentioned in the following tweets what it was about.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Jeff is pretty open about his mental health issues on twitter, and he used to post here also.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
I feel bad for Jeff O'Niel. He had his gold medal he woas a Jr stolen while he was in Vancouver. Really sucks.

Goggles Pisano

Sep 3, 2010
Kitchener-Waterloo

Auston Matthews' agent, the guy who works for The Orr Hockey Group, the agency that represents Connor McDavid, is not going to be asking more than what McDavid is making. Just my opinion.Matthews will be signed to an 11 million per year contract or something in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad