TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Not like he had 3 months to be in NA training with a Jr team while awaiting said deal.

He wasn't even in NA on the deadline day to PHYSICALLY SIGN the deal.

Hayes is right to call out the performance. His job is to steer conversation and it's the hot topic.
Why is he going to be in NA when he does not have a contract?

Would you go to work if you were waiting for a new contract from them?

And he was training with teams in Europe, its not like he was just sitting there doing nothing.

You should learn some negotiation tactics.

Reactions: Walshy7

member 147413

exactly this.

and quite frankly if this wasn't nylander, but say someone a tad less talented this whole "ooh. let's be gentle." stuff wouldn't be flying. at all.
I’m more or less thinking we should support our young talented players instead of throwing them under the bus first chance we get.

Reactions: AreBe

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Why is he going to be in NA when he does not have a contract?

Would you go to work if you were waiting for a new contract from them?

And he was training with teams in Europe, its not like he was just sitting there doing nothing.

You should learn some negotiation tactics.
Speaking as someone in a leadership position, you should learn what optics are.

He can only be in NA when he works?

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Not skating was probably a negotiation tactic to appear to not be close to a deal.

Deal is done, these are regular season games which mean dick all. Give him 2 weeks.
He gets nothing and that was the exact point Hayes was making in an over the top fashion.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Cannot listen to Simmons. Gilbert puts me to sleep.

No leafs lunch for me today.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I’m more or less thinking we should support our young talented players instead of throwing them under the bus first chance we get.

okay. ducky. me too.

but that also doesn't mean that people shouldn't be frustrated (or need Nylander to earn trust back) and simply stating facts. (that he's not that good - and the reason why he's not that good is because he chose to sit out). isn't throwing him under the bus. and when other people last year due to injuries whatever (or even this year, when it was simply a matter of not connecting with line mates) people love to be "oh he's done, whatever., trade the bum." Once he does get to par (which won't really be this season, i think he'll always be a step behind as most people who miss camp (and months) are - he'll be fine.

but ignoring the fact that he's soured a lot of people is wrong and that it will take time for said bridge to be repaired and anything other than blowing air up his butt is seen as throwing people under the bus is crazy. people are allowed to be mad at him (for his decision), and people are allowed to not like him (for said decision that he made).

member 147413

okay. ducky. me too.

but that also doesn't mean that people shouldn't be frustrated (or need Nylander to earn trust back) and simply stating facts. (that he's not that good - and the reason why he's not that good is because he chose to sit out). isn't throwing him under the bus. and when other people last year due to injuries whatever (or even this year, when it was simply a matter of not connecting with line mates) people love to be "oh he's done, whatever., trade the bum." Once he does get to par (which won't really be this season, i think he'll always be a step behind as most people who miss camp (and months) are - he'll be fine.

but ignoring the fact that he's soured a lot of people is wrong and that it will take time for said bridge to be repaired and anything other than blowing air up his butt is seen as throwing people under the bus is crazy. people are allowed to be mad at him (for his decision), and people are allowed to not like him (for said decision that he made).
I like him, I think he’s a dominant player.

I like that he didn’t listen to Shanahan who came out and told our young guys to take discounts when he himself did not. I would have preferred he take less money, I would have preferred he be playing with us all year, but cups aren’t guaranteed, he’s an elite winger who wanted to get paid, I’m glad he’s with us instead of with another team.

That said if he’s moved for a net gain in value that improves our team, I’ll also be content, but disappointed I won’t get so see him play as much.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Simmons destroyed Dutch's fan boy argument on why Henderson should have won the Lou Marsh over Kingsbury

as he should. this happens every year. if someone not in Hockey or whatever wins the Lou Marsh, TSN/Sportsnet whines about how dare another Canadian athlete wins the thing, or they make it out like "it's only because it's an Olympic Year that they get Lou Marsh." because 'no one cares/follows these sports.'

here's an idea. maybe instead of showing poker and spelling B's and reruns of "misplays of the year." you instead do show these type of sports. then people won't be all shocked. (actually I was surprised Kingsbury won over Virtue/Moir, but Kingsbury was extremely dominate this season as well as winning the gold).

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I like him, I think he’s a dominant player.

I like that he didn’t listen to Shanahan who came out and told our young guys to take discounts when he himself did not. I would have preferred he take less money, I would have preferred he be playing with us all year, but cups aren’t guaranteed, he’s an elite winger who wanted to get paid, I’m glad he’s with us instead of with another team.

That said if he’s moved for a net gain in value that improves our team, I’ll also be content, but disappointed I won’t get so see him play as much.

I find it interesting.
Yzerman, Shanahan and Draper played together.

Shanahan said that that members of the wings all made some concessions to keep the team together and win - which they did - but everyone (per usual) wants to call people who flat out said what they did, liars. very well).

Yzerman flat out said this is what we're paying people to key people that make their team go which arguably isn't "fair market value" to any of them to the point that he was comfortable letting one of them walk away in free agency - that's how much he believed in people taking 'less' to make the team structure work. Note: every key player is signed under 9.5? (I think that's what Kucherov makes?). for a good chunk of time. meaning everyone else can move in and out.

(not to mention Kris Draper (also noted member of those teams) - flat out said he had, has and will have to continue to have those conversations with his young players, of what is important. Money vs. keeping the band together and trying to win something special). but i mean. yah okay Shanahan was wrong with what he said, and people are wrong for being irritated with Nylander.

what i wish the media asked (and Hayes did touch on it) - why is it good enough for Tampa (who has players taking less). Pittsburgh(who Crosby said he's done 'less' despite the cap hit), in Nashville , but in Toronto it's "well just pay them because they need to get theirs. and curse people who say 'hey take a little less so it can work."

Reactions: SAMCRO44

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
here's an idea. maybe instead of showing poker and spelling B's and reruns of "misplays of the year." you instead do show these type of sports. then people won't be all shocked. (actually I was surprised Kingsbury won over Virtue/Moir, but Kingsbury was extremely dominate this season as well as winning the gold).

Considering the Lou Marsh award can only be given to an individual, I don't know how the committee could come to the conclusion that Virtue or Moir would deserve it over the other.

Don't know if this would have been the year they would have won it anyways (if voting for a duo was allowed) as hearing on the radio Kingsbury's accomplishments this past year, he was downright dominant in his sport.

member 147413

I find it interesting.
Yzerman, Shanahan and Draper played together.

Shanahan said that that members of the wings all made some concessions to keep the team together and win - which they did - but everyone (per usual) wants to call people who flat out said what they did, liars. very well).

Yzerman flat out said this is what we're paying people to key people that make their team go which arguably isn't "fair market value" to any of them to the point that he was comfortable letting one of them walk away in free agency - that's how much he believed in people taking 'less' to make the team structure work. Note: every key player is signed under 9.5? (I think that's what Kucherov makes?). for a good chunk of time. meaning everyone else can move in and out.

(not to mention Kris Draper (also noted member of those teams) - flat out said he had, has and will have to continue to have those conversations with his young players, of what is important. Money vs. keeping the band together and trying to win something special). but i mean. yah okay Shanahan was wrong with what he said, and people are wrong for being irritated with Nylander.

what i wish the media asked (and Hayes did touch on it) - why is it good enough for Tampa (who has players taking less). Pittsburgh(who Crosby said he's done 'less' despite the cap hit), in Nashville , but in Toronto it's "well just pay them because they need to get theirs. and curse people who say 'hey take a little less so it can work."
You talk to your players about it, you don’t bring it to the media in the midst of a contract negotiation. That’s unprofessional and it’s divisive. I don’t disagree that if players want to win, they should take less, but there’s a way to go about things and Shannahan did not do it well.

He was also I think the highest paid guy on the Red Wings team, despite being arguably their 5th most impactful player.

Reactions: Kiwi

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Considering the Lou Marsh award can only be given to an individual, I don't know how the committee could come to the conclusion that Virtue or Moir would deserve it over the other.

Don't know if this would have been the year they would have won it anyways (if voting for a duo was allowed) as hearing on the radio Kingsbury's accomplishments this past year, he was downright dominant in his sport.

he really is. he was really making hay 4 years ago, that's why it was expected that he'd win gold in 2018 because he's basically won everything and really did amazing things. (that moment you realise this year is so damned long. i forgot the olympics was this year).

I don't know why i've felt that a pair has won before (Sale/Pelletier). but i could be wrong. (i must be if it's only gone to an individual)

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
You talk to your players about it, you don’t bring it to the media in the midst of a contract negotiation. That’s unprofessional and it’s divisive. I don’t disagree that if players want to win, they should take less, but there’s a way to go about things and Shannahan did not do it well.

He was also I think the highest paid guy on the Red Wings team, despite being arguably their 5th most impactful player.

again
Yzerman has done it.
Draper has done it.
Shanahan has done it but hey,he's wrong.

whatever though. you don't agree. and it doesn't matter. i again find it interesting again that if it's good enough for the best team in the league, why isn't it good enough for us. but meh. it doesn't change the fact of what i originally said.

Marleau flat out came out and admitted that he's struggling finding a connection with Matthews, and people have no qualms kicking this guy because he's old, he's done. get him off the team.

Zaitzev flat out comes out says he had mental issues and he has baby brain and he was sick and he fractured his ankle last year and people still poop on him because he's not sexy or whatever.

Nylander sits out and misses time and all people are do is chiding him for his play so far and it's 'oh no nno no no no. we can't be critical of him, because he's "insert reason here" why can't we be just like him? he's our young talent." ahuh.

you don't agree. and that's fine, so we'll just leave it there.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
again
Yzerman has done it.
Draper has done it.
Shanahan has done it but hey,he's wrong.

whatever though. you don't agree. and it doesn't matter. i again find it interesting again that if it's good enough for the best team in the league, why isn't it good enough for us. but meh. it doesn't change the fact of what i originally said.

Marleau flat out came out and admitted that he's struggling finding a connection with Matthews, and people have no qualms kicking this guy because he's old, he's done. get him off the team.

Zaitzev flat out comes out says he had mental issues and he has baby brain and he was sick and he fractured his ankle last year and people still poop on him because he's not sexy or whatever.

Nylander sits out and misses time and all people are do is chiding him for his play so far and it's 'oh no nno no no no. we can't be critical of him, because he's "insert reason here" why can't we be just like him? he's our young talent." ahuh.

you don't agree. and that's fine, so we'll just leave it there.

Those guys took less after they had already made plenty of money Daisy, they didn't do it straight out of there entry level deals like we're asking guys to do, it also shouldn't never have been said in the public arena

That's something you say behind closed doors

You play like crap you get treated like crap by the fanbase, I may not always agree with it but that's just the way things go

I hated the Marleau deal at the time and said so, I though the Zaitsev deal was fraught with risk I said so, I thought Nylander would take at least a month to get going I said so, what that doesn't alter is that Nylander at least has the opportunity to outperform his contract

The other two not so much

Reactions: FishManSam

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Those guys took less after they had already made plenty of money Daisy, they didn't do it straight out of there entry level deals like we're asking guys to do, it also shouldn't never have been said in the public arena

That's something you say behind closed doors

You play like crap you get treated like crap by the fanbase, I may not always agree with it but that's just the way things go

I hated the Marleau deal at the time and said so, I though the Zaitsev deal was fraught with risk I said so, I thought Nylander would take at least a month to get going I said so, what that doesn't alter is that Nylander at least has the opportunity to outperform his contract

The other two not so much

Yzerman and Draper both said it publicly though. that's my point. Hell so has Rutherford. Shanahan wasn't the first, or the last. it's a statement of fact. but like i said. people don't agree and i'm tired of pointing out that stating the basic fact of a cap salary people claim to want/love is that hey you have tot ake less money is something should be said being 'closed doors' (why? you're stating the truth). or you're the devil if you said it. (which. no you're not).

and actually no. Stamkos (and Tavares) had really cheap second contracts. I don't think Hedman made a lot either.
like i said. it's apparently good enough for other teams players to take a little less. apparently in Toronto it's eff that noise.

and honestly. that's not the point i'm making, Kiwi. but like i said. it's more of an each their own though.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
he really is. he was really making hay 4 years ago, that's why it was expected that he'd win gold in 2018 because he's basically won everything and really did amazing things. (that moment you realise this year is so damned long. i forgot the olympics was this year).

I don't know why i've felt that a pair has won before (Sale/Pelletier). but i could be wrong. (i must be if it's only gone to an individual)

They said Sale/Pelletier won it before. I am fine with Kingsbury winning it and I would have been fine with Virtue/Moir winning it as well but I think Kingsbury deserved it more because he has been winning a ton.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yzerman and Draper both said it publicly though. that's my point. Hell so has Rutherford. Shanahan wasn't the first, or the last. it's a statement of fact. but like i said. people don't agree and i'm tired of pointing out that stating the basic fact of a cap salary people claim to want/love is that hey you have tot ake less money is something should be said being 'closed doors' (why? you're stating the truth). or you're the devil if you said it. (which. no you're not).

and actually no. Stamkos (and Tavares) had really cheap second contracts. I don't think Hedman made a lot either.
like i said. it's apparently good enough for other teams players to take a little less. apparently in Toronto it's eff that noise.

and honestly. that's not the point i'm making, Kiwi. but like i said. it's more of an each their own though.

I've got zero problem if management ask guys to take a haircut behind closed doors Daisy

My problem is with going public with it which is needlessly divisive, do not talk in the media about any of that stuff just like the whole we can and we will comments from Dubas

All three of those guys got good money and I have no problems with a player fighting for what he believes he's worth, just like I don't have a problem with an organization trading someone after they took a discounted to make themselves better

Business is business, that's why I don't get emotionally invested in players if I can help it, just like farming, if I've got to send her to the works eventually i can't get attached

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Simmons destroyed Dutch's fan boy argument on why Henderson should have won the Lou Marsh over Kingsbury
Simmons is a journalist and who's opinions are taken seriously, and are not a Toy
Kingsbury wins, he's the King of the Hill
and certainly not some chain smoking kid from Sudbury
2 full minutes on 1050 without talking Leafs- where are we going to get our fill?
Tipping my hat to Amanda McKittrick Ros, time for stir fry dinner with sauce of soy!

Holy Moses! Take a look!
Flesh decayed in every nook!
Some rare bits of brain lie here,
Mortal loads of beef and beer.
Amanda McKittrick Ros - Wikipedia

Last edited:

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
ok weird old guy you need some basic radio business education. The average radio listener listens for 15 minutes, that's how ratings are tabulated and advertising sold to make as much money as possible. The Leafs have by far the largest number of fans which means when most listeners tune in for their 15 minutes they want to hear the Leafs being discussed, if they don't hear what they want they tune out. Radio stations don't program for the retired old coot or the 20 something unemployed slacker who listen all day and night long.
I get what you are saying
I get your song
And money has to come in to pay the bills and on the AM dial there's no Top 40 to be playing
People change the station as they are looking for something specifically useful - and hey there's my bong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad