TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Willie can take all the time he needs to get into game shape, no biggie, we need him ready for the first playoff round. Next season he can be ready to go out of camp.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Everyone has bad takes. Hayes is a good host and when provoked, sometimes says dumb things instead of conceding.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Nylander thought he was worth the money, he was prepared to take it till like literally the last few minutes to ensure he got said money so he doesn't really get a grace period (vs. if he was injured, or had something tragic happen to him).
That doesn't make sense to me. The grace period means that you don't judge him as if he's 100% when he has no chance to be 100%. To do that anyway is just to be unreasonable out of spite.

I don't think you need to be sympathetic towards him either. But this has nothing to do with that. It's about being rational and accurate.

you can have sympathy for him or not, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't also have realistic expectations of what to expect from him in terms of performance
Exactly.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I don't think it's really a bad take to say Nylander doesn't deserve any sympathy for not being up to speed.
I tend to agree. It's not like being hard on a guy who is coming back from injury. Nylander chose not to sign a deal until December and sat out. That's he's not up to speed is his own fault for missing camp and the first quarter of the season.

He'll get going eventually and I'll be glad when he does. But not going to feel sorry for him or sympathize with any heat he takes while getting up to speed. It was a conscious choice for him to go this route and nothing about it should be a shocker.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I tend to agree. It's not like being hard on a guy who is coming back from injury. Nylander chose not to sign a deal until December and sat out. That's he's not up to speed is his own fault for missing camp and the first quarter of the season.

He'll get going eventually and I'll be glad when he does. But not going to feel sorry for him or sympathize with any heat he takes while getting up to speed. It was a conscious choice for him to go this route and nothing about it should be a shocker.

exactly this.

and quite frankly if this wasn't nylander, but say someone a tad less talented this whole "ooh. let's be gentle." stuff wouldn't be flying. at all.

Reactions: BM14

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto

Idk if sympathy is the right word, but he's not really performing under expectations. You can't expect someone to come in 2 months in to the season and start playing like he hasn't missed a beat. If you want to crticize him, you're not criticizing him because he's playing poorly, you're criticzing him for signing later in the season (since that is the cause of him playing poorly).

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I don't fault Ferraro for calling Hayes a fanboy since Hayes was absolutely sounding like a fanboy. Putting Nylander in the minors is a "Joe from the bridge" type of take, which is ironic considering how much Hayes criticizes those takes.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Well its not like the deal he ended up with was being offered before the season...

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Well its not like the deal he ended up with was being offered before the season...
Not like he had 3 months to be in NA training with a Jr team while awaiting said deal.

He wasn't even in NA on the deadline day to PHYSICALLY SIGN the deal.

Hayes is right to call out the performance. His job is to steer conversation and it's the hot topic.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
If you guys know Hayes at all, you would realize he doesn't actually think Nylander to the Marlies is an option at all. He was using that to try to trap Ferraro in his logic to say you don't put a 7 million dollar guy down in the minors. He was trying to trap Ferraro into bringing up the contract to contradict his own logic based on how Nylander should or shouldn't have different expectations for his play right now due to the money he held out for.

Anyway, no one is arguing that Hayes isn't a fan boy at times. But he's actually pretty level headed and realistic regarding most things and if you believed he was serious about the Marlies then you haven't listened to enough Hayes. It was Hedger who brought that up in the first hour of that show and Hayes who shut her down.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
By the best estimates of the Leafs sports science department, it typically takes a player 12 days after training camp before his heart rate levels out during exertion.

That would put Nylander on schedule to be functioning at his peak sometime in mid-January after hitting the ground running last week and so far playing more games (three) than he’s had full practices (two) with the Leafs.

You're not using common sense if you think Nylander should be on his A game right now.

Edit: thats supposed to link to an article by chris johnston, but the video keeps popping up.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yes, let's just pile on to the guy who just signed and is realistically having a hard time adjusting coming in mid-year. Why do fans who understand this market can be overbearing buy in and enjoy pushing this narrative?

It took 2 groups for negotiations to get to this point. It is not like he had this offer in July.

Reactions: Walshy7

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Not like he had 3 months to be in NA training with a Jr team while awaiting said deal.

He wasn't even in NA on the deadline day to PHYSICALLY SIGN the deal.

Hayes is right to call out the performance. His job is to steer conversation and it's the hot topic.
Not skating was probably a negotiation tactic to appear to not be close to a deal.

Deal is done, these are regular season games which mean dick all. Give him 2 weeks.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
If you guys know Hayes at all, you would realize he doesn't actually think Nylander to the Marlies is an option at all. He was using that to try to trap Ferraro in his logic to say you don't put a 7 million dollar guy down in the minors. He was trying to trap Ferraro into bringing up the contract to contradict his own logic based on how Nylander should or shouldn't have different expectations for his play right now due to the money he held out for.

Anyway, no one is arguing that Hayes isn't a fan boy at times. But he's actually pretty level headed and realistic regarding most things and if you believed he was serious about the Marlies then you haven't listened to enough Hayes. It was Hedger who brought that up in the first hour of that show and Hayes who shut her down.

Pretty much all of this post. I always enjoy their heated exchanges because deep down, they are just trolling

Also, someone's phone went off during that segment and O was so rattled lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad