TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
They all were ridiculous...bunch of morons.

Nylander should be given 2 weeks from the Detroit game.

He’s a great colour guy. Outside of when I’m watching the game I don’t give much thought to Ferraro. Same with Gord Miller.

You think it's bad now? Wait until February and all that can be said has been said and it is all the same
I sure hope the commentator's cupboard's not dry before New years or all this Leafs talk will be filler!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
From a tax law perspective for the average citizen there is a lot of verbiage that we can use to our advantage to limit our taxes paid to minimal. From what I read JT had a home in Toronto, this would mean he already pays canadian taxes but anyways dm me I can answer other questions.
John Tavares Could Save Nearly $12 Million In Taxes On His New Contract

Ill look for some other links from my university days to see if I can find more concrete stuff

Thanks for the article.

53.53 tax rate....that’s insane

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Ferraro acted like a knob. It did seem awkward.
I don’t understand the blind love most have here for Ferraro. I can’t stand him.
Ray is good in game, his insights are useful and he notices things. When he's on the radio he can be a complete asshat.

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
Nylander brought this on himself. I have no sympathy for him.
He's a spectacular player and we should be delighted to have this asset play for the Leafs
If we were to trade Nylander the odds of the return being equal are slim
I grow wary of the typical Toronto plan to trade away future stars, that's one of my beefs!

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Thanks for the article.

53.53 tax rate....that’s insane
To be fair you don't actually get taxed 53.53% its a bracketed system

this is how income earned is taxed after all deductions have been applied:

• 15% on the first $46,605 of taxable income, +
  • 20.5% on the next $46,603 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over 46,605 up to $93,208), +
  • 26% on the next $51,281 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $93,208 up to $144,489), +
  • 29% on the next $61,353 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over 144,489 up to $205,842), +
  • 33% of taxable income over $205,842
So federally you pay tax on each portion of income differently if you make $100,000 you dont pay 26% i tax, rather you pay 15% on the first $46,605, 20.5% on the next $46,603 and 26% on the last $6,792 for a total tax bill of 15% x 46,605 + 20.5% x 46,603 + 26% x 6,792 = $18,310 or just about 18.3% federal tax on $100,000 earned

* NOTE: these are just the federal brackets we also have to pay a provincial tax on the same bracketed system with different rates

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
To be fair you don't actually get taxed 53.53% its a bracketed system

this is how income earned is taxed after all deductions have been applied:

• 15% on the first $46,605 of taxable income, +
  • 20.5% on the next $46,603 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over 46,605 up to $93,208), +
  • 26% on the next $51,281 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $93,208 up to $144,489), +
  • 29% on the next $61,353 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over 144,489 up to $205,842), +
  • 33% of taxable income over $205,842
So federally you pay tax on each portion of income differently if you make $100,000 you dont pay 26% i tax, rather you pay 15% on the first $46,605, 20.5% on the next $46,603 and 26% on the last $6,792 for a total tax bill of 15% x 46,605 + 20.5% x 46,603 + 26% x 6,792 = $18,310 or just about 18.3% federal tax on $100,000 earned

* NOTE: these are just the federal brackets we also have to pay a provincial tax on the same bracketed system with different rates

I get it, but like here, it’s still very punitive. It’s one of the reasons I retired early

Reactions: AreBe

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
The taxes are graduated
Everyone pays the same for x, and then next bit more if the earn that much y, and if still more z
certain states have no additional tax which is taken for granted
Taxes are much higher in Ontario and we must lie in our bed

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Hayes was acting like a fanboy but Ferraros "I played so I know more than you" and "its not like replacing a media host" were way over the top.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
sometimes those guys get a little personal with each other though. it happens on that show if you've listened regularly.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Good one!
I love the Leafs. But there comes a point where- by golly - how do you fill the time??
Like, the beat writers, how many times can you ask or observe, "Gee Whiz, Nylander, Matthews, Mariner, pretty good eh?"
The demand for yipping and a yapping about the Leafs is high and the market is always right, but, my goodness, they are really, really grasping at straws when you have three talking heads behind a microphone. You got pre - game, post game, then some Gee Whiz, and maybe once a week a true newsworthy story.

And look- the players have memorized their Bull Durham 110% lines. You are getting squat from them.

And if it is all Leafs all the time no exception, then you cannot even interject something remotely interesting, or even boring, like a "Gee Whiz that Kawhi Leonard could be a difference maker!" , or "You got to hand it to the Red Sox and the Yankees, they sure do look like they want to win.

Anything, anything to make it interesting.

Sports talk is great- but really, the Leafs are clever enough to not be newsworthy outside of hockey and they have a PR department to make sure nothing interesting gets out.

Point is this: You restrict yourself only to the Leafs, but there is simply nothing- nothing- newsworthy going on and if there is the Leafs keep it in -house.

Result: speculation, stupidity, dead time filled with idle chat .

ok weird old guy you need some basic radio business education. The average radio listener listens for 15 minutes, that's how ratings are tabulated and advertising sold to make as much money as possible. The Leafs have by far the largest number of fans which means when most listeners tune in for their 15 minutes they want to hear the Leafs being discussed, if they don't hear what they want they tune out. Radio stations don't program for the retired old coot or the 20 something unemployed slacker who listen all day and night long.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I like Hayes but his take on Nylander did sound like a fanboy. It doesn't matter how much the contract is worth, that doesn't change the amount of time it takes a player to get acclimated after being on the sidelines for several months.

I agree with Ferraro. Give him at least 2 more weeks before bringing out the pitch forks.

Reactions: FishManSam

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Just listened to that clip. Ferraro's right about what kind of grace period Willy should have. And Hayes sounded like the typical fan who is pissed at Willy and just wants an excuse to vent it. Just from that clip, Ferraro sounded like he was absolutely fed up with the topic and took it out on Hayes.

Reactions: FishManSam

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
He's a spectacular player and we should be delighted to have this asset play for the Leafs
If we were to trade Nylander the odds of the return being equal are slim
I grow wary of the typical Toronto plan to trade away future stars, that's one of my beefs!

I'm not saying trade him and I still love the guy. But when you sit out for 2 months and squeeze the team for every dollar, you'd better hit the ground running when you return. This ain't Carolina, Willie.

Reactions: AreBe

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
Hayes, and Hedger as well, sounded like idiots with their "send him to the Marlies if he's not ready" take. Good one Randy, good one.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Hayes was acting like an idiot, so Ferraro countered it with his own stupidity. Atleast he got called out on being a homer.

And by all means, calling him a homer is just referencing that one stance he had about Nylander. He's usually pretty neutral with a bit of leafs fandom poking in once in a while. I'm pretty sure what he said there wasn't from the heart entirely. He was trying to create a narrative for colourful discussion. It's what people often have to do in sports media. Create a story. Ferraro called him on going too far.

mrJT

Mar 4, 2013
Toronto
Ray sounded like he had a bone to pick with Hayes and that topic was the moment to call him out.

He said Hayes has an inflated Ego. Something's gone on with them behind the scenes.

Reactions: jaric1862

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hayes, and Hedger as well, sounded like idiots with their "send him to the Marlies if he's not ready" take. Good one Randy, good one.
I liked that Ferraro replied "then we can play Freddy the goat more. That doesnt sound like a good idea."

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Ray sounded like he had a bone to pick with Hayes and that topic was the moment to call him out.

He said Hayes has an inflated Ego. Something's gone on with them behind the scenes.

yah that's not a comment you toss out because you're frustrated w/the topic. that was a little low blow there. and ray was just like 'enough

Just listened to that clip. Ferraro's right about what kind of grace period Willy should have. And Hayes sounded like the typical fan who is pissed at Willy and just wants an excuse to vent it. Just from that clip, Ferraro sounded like he was absolutely fed up with the topic and took it out on Hayes.

well. quite frankly. yah. and I think that goes with the territory of what happened. Nylander thought he was worth the money, he was prepared to take it till like literally the last few minutes to ensure he got said money so he doesn't really get a grace period (vs. if he was injured, or had something tragic happen to him). his issues right now of being behind the moving bus is Nylander's doing. I don't blame anyone having zero sympathy for him, or being less gracious towards him because he's clearly behind. that's what happens when you decide to hold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad