TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19 (v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
This is pretty incredible. I cant verify this guys sources, but he does have a pretty good track record calling stuff before its publically known, so I give his numbers some credence.

Lots Going To Change In Toronto Sports Media World

On the topic of radio, the best radio show in Canada right now is, without question Overdrive.
The end.
For what it’s worth, ESPN has some 38 million unique global streams of it’s 64 shows that are podcasted. While that number in the USA extrapolates to 4.8m streams in the USA, on an annual basis Overdrive is not that far off! Yes, sources tell me that Overdrive had over 35 million streams last year or just about 2-3 million per month. Those are serious numbers.

He also has more on MacArthur

Still with the Jays, TSN lost their mid-day host Scott MacArthur a few weeks back. TSN’s loss is a Blue Jay fan’s gain as MacArthur will be the new voice of the Blue Jays post-game call-in show once his non-compete clause expires. MacArthur will replace Mike Wilner who has been answering calls for eons now. Wilner has moved into the radio booth doing play by play. There is no more patient human being then Wilner, given the number of years he did the gig. I am curious to see how MacArthur who has a totally different style than Wilner handles the endless calls of insane trade ideas that are coming his way. This is a coup for those who handle things for the Jays media side of things. The bench is now Dan Shulman and then Scott MacArthur. As the team rebuilds on the field they massively need help on radio and tv too. Just my opinion.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Wow @Warden of the North , didn't realize OverDrive was putting up those kinds of numbers :o

I didn't even notice MacArthur left TSN. Wilner is a terrible listen, and is going to ruin baseball on radio for me (his few innings per game the last few years already started to do that). Pure company man.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
This is pretty incredible. I cant verify this guys sources, but he does have a pretty good track record calling stuff before its publically known, so I give his numbers some credence.

Lots Going To Change In Toronto Sports Media World

He also has more on MacArthur

I'm not shocked, I listen to overdrive and I'm in New Zealand

I'm a hardcore Leafs fan but you don't need to be a hockey diehard to get into it, it's just like listening to 3 sports fans at the pub

May not always agree with them but it's interesting

Reactions: ktownhockey

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I was just in LA and the guy I was working with, who is a Kings fan -- listens to Overdrive.

Best hockey station around IMO, those three just work.

Reactions: ktownhockey

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Jonah is very reliable on the Toronto sports media.
It would be nice if he could proofread his article though.

The constant grammatical and spelling mistakes was quite distracting from the message he was conveying.
The message itself was very compelling.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It would be nice if he could proofread his article though.

The constant grammatical and spelling mistakes was quite distracting from the message he was conveying.
The message itself was very compelling.

I’m horrible with grammar, but I noticed that too. His twitter profile says he’s a lawyer.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Dreger: "11x5 sounds about right for Matthews".

**** this media theyre all high.
I swear they just toss all logic out the window with shit like this...problem is they get the number out there and it becomes real. 11x5 would literally be the worst possible deal we could sign him too. That's truly terrible.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Media is just looking for a negative angle since the report from Dubas that he thought he and Matthews were close to a contract.

What better way to keep the negativity going than by coming up with “rumours” that a potential Matthews contract would come with literally the worst term for a ton of money?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I just really hate how these "insiders" toss out absolutely ridiculous numbers....but add zero logic or precedent to back up numbers like that. 5 years makes sense....if the number comes down to a respectable AAV. If he is worth 11 million while eating zero free agent years what is that saying he is worth over a full 8 year term....14 million? Not even a little bit. Not buying any of it but they will spew the BS long enough that it becomes reality.

Reactions: Jozay

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I swear they just toss all logic out the window with **** like this...problem is they get the number out there and it becomes real. 11x5 would literally be the worst possible deal we could sign him too. That's truly terrible.
Or that is what they want us to think, then when it is 10mil for 5yrs, we will be all like, Matthews took a discount and Dubas is a genius....lol

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Official Leafs account tweeted the trade at like 4:15pm yesterday, I listed to the podcast last night. Spent almost 3 hours waiting for the Breaking News Alert live on air.

To get those guys make the announcement, would have been amazing.

In Jerry voice "You're gonna wanna hear this"

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Official Leafs account tweeted the trade at like 4:15pm yesterday, I listed to the podcast last night. Spent almost 3 hours waiting for the Breaking News Alert live on air.

To get those guys make the announcement, would have been amazing.

In Jerry voice "You're gonna wanna hear this"
Trade happened after 7pm est. Which is when over drive finishes.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I swear they just toss all logic out the window with **** like this...problem is they get the number out there and it becomes real. 11x5 would literally be the worst possible deal we could sign him too. That's truly terrible.

If the number "becomes real" doesnt that indicate they knew what they were talking about? Dubas and Matthews arent paying attention to what the media is saying about their contract numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad