TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19 (v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I stopped listening to that show months ago. It's like being waterboarded by Miller and Petrillo. I'll tell you anything you wanna know, just please stop.

They can't fire Andi no matter how terrible the show becomes. They could have zero listeners and still wouldn't do it.

It amazes me that after decades of radio shows they still don't understand what makes a show successful: Personality

Reactions: AreBe

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Whats more annoying to me then the offer sheet talk is this assumption that all of our guys are going to play hardball while the other teams star RFAs are just going to take discounts.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
They can't fire Andi no matter how terrible the show becomes. They could have zero listeners and still wouldn't do it.

It amazes me that after decades of radio shows they still don't understand what makes a show successful: Personality
What's incredibly frustrating for me is that I have a degree in radio broadcasting and cant find a full time on-air gig but people like Miller,Petrillo,Shannon etc get regular radio time and are going nowhere anytime soon.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Whats more annoying to me then the offer sheet talk is this assumption that all of our guys are going to play hardball while the other teams star RFAs are just going to take discounts.
Its like that on here too. The other day someone said something along the lines of "star players dont take discounts and they certainly dont take hometown discounts if they aren't from the area they're playing in". This was referring to Marner and Matthews. I said okay, so what about Stamkos, Kucherov, and Hedman? And that's just players from the lightning, none of which are from Florida or even the U.S. *crickets*

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013

Leafs Street, Leafs Beat, Leafs Meet, in any event, the show is also on TSN TV I think, not just radio, so Andi is there also for the TV side, as the show has a bit of duality!
Offer Sheet talk is easy because it rubs salt into an existing concern if not a wound, and on a slow news day, which there are plenty of, and when the Leafs have PR department that gives 110% there's a whole lot of nothing to talk about in large amounts!
For clarity, it is not Andi or anyone else's fault when everyday intentionally is a slow news day, the coverage devolves into banality!
All Leafs all the time, even when there is nothing to talk about, all Leafs is something TSN 1050 cannot renounce!

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

What makes Petrillo's problems even more stark is that the guest hosts do a better job then she does. Mark Roe is more engaging and more knowledgeable, for instance.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
I unsubbed from Leafs lunch podcast awhile back... been listening to it for years, but I just couldn’t take it anymore.

It’s not much, but it’s my small and only way to express that I do not like the show as it currently is and I hope for something to change.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The funny thing is, Nick Kypreos was asked on radio if the Muzzin trade makes them a contender and he acted so strange. He got nervous and never answered the question. These media guys seem so afraid to give the Leafs a compliment.
There's no way he'd give that answer with any other team. The other guys like Brunt just acted like he gave them an answer. It was odd.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I swear the agency's/agents pay these guys to say x player is going to get insane money or an offer sheet to increase there worth.

I also think these unknown execs say crazy crap to these analysts as they get to hear them repeat it, and no one knows who they are.
I laugh at Friedman and Gord Miller bragging about insane bets these unknown execs make and they run and repeat it.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
The funny thing is, Nick Kypreos was asked on radio if the Muzzin trade makes them a contender and he acted so strange. He got nervous and never answered the question. These media guys seem so afraid to give the Leafs a compliment.
There's no way he'd give that answer with any other team. The other guys like Brunt just acted like he gave them an answer. It was odd.

I didn't see it but could it be that maybe Nick or whomever legitimately doesn't believe it makes us true Cup contenders? Would such an opinion be considered blasphemous and worthy of some sort of exile? What do compliments do for you exactly? Personally I just want a Cup, and personally I don't believe it's a no-brainer that this trade puts us even or right next to the top favourites. Would love for another deal.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
What's incredibly frustrating for me is that I have a degree in radio broadcasting and cant find a full time on-air gig but people like Miller,Petrillo,Shannon etc get regular radio time and are going nowhere anytime soon.

If you don’t mind me using you as an example, but just reading this made me immediately think of something to highlight a point. That here is someone who has a degree, has probably put countless hours in to gain a foothold (all likely unpaid, thankless and frustrating), and has admitted to being unable to penetrate the market. Yet some guy caught and pictured with Leafs face paint and a cigarette hanging out of his mouth is just handed a job.

That crap drives me crazy. Forget about the people that are already common hold within the industry who are blocked from taking that next step. Here are people like you that don’t even get that type of shot/break who have worked so hard to get somewhere.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
If you don’t mind me using you as an example, but just reading this made me immediately think of something to highlight a point. That here is someone who has a degree, has probably put countless hours in to gain a foothold (all likely unpaid, thankless and frustrating), and has admitted to being unable to penetrate the market. Yet some guy caught and pictured with Leafs face paint and a cigarette hanging out of his mouth is just handed a job.

That crap drives me crazy. Forget about the people that are already common hold within the industry who are blocked from taking that next step. Here are people like you that don’t even get that type of shot/break who have worked so hard to get somewhere.
This is a pretty accurate description. I've put in hundreds of unpaid hours at small stations hosting shows as well as producing, writing and voicing commercials and have nothing to show for it. I've sucked it up, put a fake smile on and have kept pursuing my dream to be on-air. Meanwhile you have dart guy, and I like him as a person, who puts on face paint and a smoke in his mouth, and he gets a weekend show in the biggest market in the country. Its insulting to be honest. I've accepted that I'll never get that shot. I was a chef before I went to broadcasting school and I'm a chef now and work a radio gig once a week. My focus is on food. If you guys really wanna make a difference then stop listening to the crap that sportsnet and tsn put on the air. Believe me, they're well aware of the number of listeners.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

While I dont particularly like them, its unfair to say Miller and Petrillo havent paid their dues.

And Shannon is never the main host. Hes a guest or co-host and thats because he spent years with HNIC/CBC/ the NHL.

All of them have worked and hard put in time to get to their places. Unfortunately that doesnt make their opinions great.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
While I dont particularly like them, its unfair to say Miller and Petrillo havent paid their dues.

And Shannon is never the main host. Hes a guest or co-host and thats because he spent years with HNIC/CBC/ the NHL.

All of them have worked and hard put in time to get to their places. Unfortunately that doesnt make their opinions great.
I never said they didnt pay their dues but when I look at someone like Petrillo, I seriously question how she got to where she is. And by that I mean shes attractive and knows absolutely nothing about hosting a show. I know people will say that's sexist, sure, but when I listen to Cameron, Gaillard,Hedger etc I can at least get the sense that they know sports. Petrillo may have paid her dues but she was hired as a tv host on leafs tv to ask questions off a board, shes terrible as a live host. To me it's like a forced diversity hire. John Shannon is awful as well. And I'm aware hes not a host
I have no clue how that man is seen as a legend in the industry as so many sportsnet people say he is. The thing with broadcasting is that you need the right person to hear you to find a job. That's what they say. The people who decided to put Shannon and Petrillo on-air must be deaf.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I never said they didnt pay their dues but when I look at someone like Petrillo, I seriously question how she got to where she is. And by that I mean shes attractive and knows absolutely nothing about hosting a show. I know people will say that's sexist, sure, but when I listen to Cameron, Gaillard,Hedger etc I can at least get the sense that they know sports. Petrillo may have paid her dues but she was hired as a tv host on leafs tv to ask questions off a board, shes terrible as a live host. To me it's like a forced diversity hire. John Shannon is awful as well. And I'm aware hes not a host
I have no clue how that man is seen as a legend in the industry as so many sportsnet people say he is. The thing with broadcasting is that you need the right person to hear you to find a job. That's what they say. The people who decided to put Shannon and Petrillo on-air must be deaf.

It wont make you feel any better but virtually every industry has people who feel like you. That someone with a good gig above them doesnt deserve it. I felt like that for a long time until I learned that thats just the way it is.

I'll give you an example. Last year I had my first year technician students teach a "professional" in our industry how to do something very basic so he could go and teach other people how to do it.

How embarrassing is that for him? What it taught my students is that this is what theyre going to be fightimg with for jobs. People hired because of their degree or something shiny on their resume with no actual knowledge of how to do the job. It was a spectacular lesson for my students.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
man leafs nation would be so much better off if everyone stopped listening to these clowns.

they're not even trying to educate you, only to provoke you.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
man leafs nation would be so much better off if everyone stopped listening to these clowns.

they're not even trying to educate you, only to provoke you.

Education vs. entertainment. Apple to oranges. I prefer to read the Athletic when I have free time to get my hockey fix. I tune in the odd time to shock radio just for curiousity mostly. It's like watching a house burn or an accident scene on the highway. You know it's going to be bad but you can't resist a peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad