TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19 (v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Because you only need to play 9 games I think to make your ELC lose a year, however typically a "rookie" is defined by being Calder eligible, which is less than 25 games before the season starts.
Actually a player on his ELC can play 9 games and be sent back to the OHL, QMJHL and WHL without losing a year. If he played in 10 games that's when it happens.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Agreed 100%. There isn’t anything these “insiders” can tell us that we don’t already know for the most part. It’s unbeliavble how people take their word as gospel.

What’s even more unbelievable is how their words get twisted out of context and then commented on like it’s gospel.

Last edited:

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
With the size of the RFA deals now it wouldn't surprise me if teams start doing 10-10-82. Basically a 1 year entry deal.

Imagine if the Big 3 were all RFAs after their 1st season and could lock in for 8 years.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I missed a couple evenings myself so I'm glad to hear he had this take on the booing. It's embarrassing to me that some fans on here get so emotionally defensive of the players being boo'd and lament how disgusting of an act it is - like get a f***ing life and clue. These players are getting millions of dollars because of the fans shelling out ridiculous sums of money to support their teams, if they want to show their anger and frustration with booing the team or a player, I have no problems with that and neither should anybody. Fans have a right to expect a certain on-ice product for their money and individually have next to no voice to express their disappointment. Furthermore to think booing does NOTHING productive is naive at best. Maybe it sends a message to management that this level of consistent play should not be tolerated and puts additional focus/pressure on that position. I'm sure a lot of us making our average salaries would trade making millions while getting boo'd for their jobs in a heartbeat so this whole "omg but what about Jake's feelings" take seems dumb af.

Yet it wont help with the perception around the league that Toronto is a tough place to play. Even when we are finally headed in the right direction they lose a few games and all hell breaks loose among the media and fans. Its embarrasing that you get so emotional because others suggest booing a player who enjoys playing here is stupid. If anyone should be getting booed its nylander who put himself ahead of the team and has done nothing since.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Yet it wont help with the perception around the league that Toronto is a tough place to play. Even when we are finally headed in the right direction they lose a few games and all hell breaks loose among the media and fans. Its embarrasing that you get so emotional because others suggest booing a player who enjoys playing here is stupid. If anyone should be getting booed its nylander who put himself ahead of the team and has done nothing since.

1. Who cares about that perception?? New York, Philly, Montreal, etc etc. ie. many of the other great sports cities in the world have this reputation in sports - is that a bad thing? It's the mecca of hockey and not really a shock that the pressure would be high. Tavares and players of similar character obviously don't have an issue with it...
2. "All hell breaks loose"??? Really? Because of some momentary booing from the fans, that meant all hell broke loose? You sound like a media head with a hot take
3. Nowhere was my post aimed at simply people who disagreed with the booing and in fact I literally suggested it was directed at the people up in arms and calling it disgusting blah blah blah.
4. I love how then after all that you're advocating IF someone should get boo'd it's player X... lol. And I think Jake's booing has been built over YEARS of defensive ineptitude/brain farts, and not simply weeks or months of subpar play. That being said again, I wouldn't have a problem if Nylander was boo'd either given my whole point is the fans have a right to boo if they wish and this whole take that they are scum of the earth for doing so is absurd.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
1. Who cares about that perception?? New York, Philly, Montreal, etc etc. ie. many of the other great sports cities in the world have this reputation in sports - is that a bad thing? It's the mecca of hockey and not really a shock that the pressure would be high. Tavares and players of similar character obviously don't have an issue with it...
2. "All hell breaks loose"??? Really? Because of some momentary booing from the fans, that meant all hell broke loose? You sound like a media head with a hot take
3. Nowhere was my post aimed at simply people who disagreed with the booing and in fact I literally suggested it was directed at the people up in arms and calling it disgusting blah blah blah.
4. I love how then after all that you're advocating IF someone should get boo'd it's player X... lol. And I think Jake's booing has been built over YEARS of defensive ineptitude/brain farts, and not simply weeks or months of subpar play. That being said again, I wouldn't have a problem if Nylander was boo'd either given my whole point is the fans have a right to boo if they wish and this whole take that they are scum of the earth for doing so is absurd.
How many times in a city like Montreal has the French media got on Quebec born players on the Canadiens when they are playing horrible. Plus what about when they went crazy after Jacques Martin got fired and Randy Cunneyworth was named the interim coach. They complained how he didn't speak any French and I think some people protested that, even though he was just the interim coach, which meant it was a temporary position.

Reactions: AreBe

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
How many times in a city like Montreal has the French media got on Quebec born players on the Canadiens when they are playing horrible. Plus what about when they went crazy after Jacques Martin got fired and Randy Cunneyworth was named the interim coach. They complained how he didn't speak any French and I think some people protested that, even though he was just the interim coach, which meant it was a temporary position.

Maybe it's my Friday speed here but I'm not immediately understanding your point or stance? Btw I'm not condoning booing or criticism because of your race or nationality here, simply hockey play. I'm not sure whether that's the angle your talking about, which seems like a different topic entirely.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe it's my Friday speed here but I'm not immediately understanding your point or stance? Btw I'm not condoning booing or criticism because of your race or nationality here, simply hockey play. I'm not sure whether that's the angle your talking about, which seems like a different topic entirely.
Montreal can also be a tough city to play in when things are not going well, especially if you are Quebec born NHL player who plays for the Canadiens. I gave examples of how bad things have been there in the past like all the outrage that Randy Cunneyworth could not speak French, even though he was named their interim coach.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I’m behind on overdrive I’m now up to the gardiner talk. I hate it when they let the pigeons call in. I really wish they wouldn’t open the lines

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The way they talk you would think that the Leafs are the only team in the league that would have trouble against Tampa 6v5 in the last 2 minutes of the game.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Montreal booed a top 5 goalie of all-time. He then snapped on the team president and demanded a trade. The booing was a small part, but because he already disliked Mario Trembly who he felt purposely tried to embarrass him, but the booing sure didn't help.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I was just watching OverDrive and Jeff O'Neil finally said he's sick of hearing about offer sheets to Matthews and Marner. He also must read HF because he asked where are the offer sheets for someone like Brayden Point?

Reactions: AreBe and OddyOh

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Montreal booed a top 5 goalie of all-time. He then snapped on the team president and demanded a trade. The booing was a small part, but because he already disliked Mario Trembly who he felt purposely tried to embarrass him, but the booing sure didn't help.

and if Gardiner leaves due to booing? he likely was leaving before that

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It’s just stupid to boo your own player unless he did something unforgivable like Carter requesting a trade and telling the other team a play.

saying nothing about the booing, i was responding to you saying Roy left partially because of booing. Gardiner is leaving anyway (most likely) so booing is irrelevant in this case. if you were comparing the 2

I personally never boo my teams players i just dont see the point, they are in a leaf jersey so why boo them and possible affect their confidence.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
saying nothing about the booing, i was responding to you saying Roy left partially because of booing. Gardiner is leaving anyway (most likely) so booing is irrelevant in this case. if you were comparing the 2

I personally never boo my teams players i just dont see the point, they are in a leaf jersey so why boo them and possible affect their confidence.
My point was about other markets being hard on guys. Not suggesting it makes Gardiner leave. The example was more about Montreal.

The one thing with booing that I think gets ignored. By all accounts jake is a popular player among the players. I don’t think they like seeing a guy being publically shamed for a mistake.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
My point was about other markets being hard on guys. Not suggesting it makes Gardiner leave. The example was more about Montreal.

The one thing with booing that I think gets ignored. By all accounts jake is a popular player among the players. I don’t think they like seeing a guy being publically shamed for a mistake.

oh im sorry, i agree its not only the leafs. Noodles will have you believe leaf fans are garbage though

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018

Patrick Roy demanded a trade because they left him in the net for like 8 or 9 goals inexplicably. Patrick Roy didn't leave because the fans boo'd him.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I was just watching OverDrive and Jeff O'Neil finally said he's sick of hearing about offer sheets to Matthews and Marner. He also must read HF because he asked where are the offer sheets for someone like Brayden Point?
I am wondering that myself.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Patrick Roy demanded a trade because they left him in the net for like 8 or 9 goals inexplicably. Patrick Roy didn't leave because the fans boo'd him.

They did boo him bad though to the point he reacted to them. I tend to think there was a ton of anger prior to that game at the Habs.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He must listen to HC12. Once again they were talking about OS to Point and Laine. Basically the teams with cap situations.

Yes, I’m pretty sure Odog reads my posts

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018

If you think Gardiner was boo'd because of a mistake you're not informed. Leafs fans would never boo a player for a mistake or two. He was boo'd because it's the same song and dance over and over with him, throughout his entire time here, combined with a losing streak of sorts and losing to your most hated rival, all in one. You can feel it's stupid but I've already outlined a reason why it's not necessarily stupid (if the fans want player X out of town and for the GM to know their feelings about that). I rarely get the chance to go to games personally so I've not boo'd Gardiner - but I can understand why some Leafs fans are completely fed up and frustrated with him at this point, whether you agree with that or not doesn't negate it's reality. Lastly, I don't think you give a guy like Gardiner enough credit for thinking he now believes all Leafs fans hate him or something. I'm betting his ego is not that fragile, nor does he equate a small faction of Leafs' fans to mean it's him against the world.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad