TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19 (v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I'm paraphrasing but he said this (and more):

Get the facts before you start condemning people. The people on their soapboxes last night can just go back and delete their tweets (which Jeff did).

Then he said "I saw some blogger today. That guys a complete idiot. He was ready to back Morgan Rielly under the bus then he backtracks and says oh well its a good lesson, etc"

Thanks for the info. :)

Yeah I'm seeing alot of people deflect their responsibility by talking about "larger issues." (Which they are, but in the case unrelated to their lack of accountability.)

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Yeah I'm seeing alot of people deflect their responsibility by talking about "larger issues." (Which they are, but in the case unrelated to their lack of accountability.)

Welcome to communism where witch hunts are par for the course.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I personally love (sarcasm) how whenever the outrage is proven wrong the narrative becomes "but this still brings attention to an important issue," as if that absolves their actions.

No. Admit you were wrong and better yourselves. That important issue will still be important afterward, and you can address it in a constructive way, not by sacrificing someone's character and reputation.

Perhaps they should ponder on the important issues of due process and slander and how they have failed at both.

Truth is most people just want to be left alone and not have their lives overturned on a weekly basis over some new agenda being shoved down peoples throats. Forget the fact that the majority who preach are the biggest hypocrites you could possibly imagine.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Did Bell make any changes to TSN radio out there? They just cut the morning show in Vancouver so David Pratt and co have been let go. They will be expanding the 3 remaining programs to 4 hours each. Story I read said cuts like these were happening across the country.
This is the only thing I've seen so far.
TSN 1040’s Dave Pratt out as Bell Media makes cross-Canada cuts
And in Toronto, changes are also coming, including the dismissal of Gareth Wheeler.

I pretty much tuned out 1050 (once and a while I'll listen to overdrive) when they let go of Mike Richards, but still a shame that Bell continues to let all these radio people go while recording record profits and semi-annually hiking up fibe, satellite, internet and cell phone rates.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
There are a bunch of idiots out there who still believe the NHL is covering for him. His reputation definitely isn't held in the same regard it was yesterday, because nothing really helped it, and some people can't accept they were wrong. Just search his name on twitter.

I do think the Leafs should have issued a statement saying Morgan denies that he said this, and we stand by one of our teams valued leaders initially.

Either way, glad Rielly is vindicated. But, the rush to publish pretty unsubstantiated stuff immediately due to the Twitter news cycle, instead of actually vetting stories is a disaster in all walks of life right now.

As an NHL fan outside the Toronto media bubble I know I went through the range of beliefs on the topic. At first I admit the optics didn’t appear good on the video making the rounds although I am old enough to have played sports in an era when words like this (and lots of other stuff) were pretty common at every level of competition in the heat of battle. We are living in the era of outrage currently so the short term reaction was predicable.

Personally the denial by Rielly and all the on ice officials felt legit to me. If he said what was captured on video I really don’t think he would have gone on the offense on this right away. I don’t buy into the tin foil hat theories that this is part of an elaborate cover up.

Based on the actions taken and listening to Rielly I really don’t think he said it and I know I have moved on.....sucks for him he is getting dragged through this but I thought he and Dubas handled it pretty well.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Did Bell make any changes to TSN radio out there? They just cut the morning show in Vancouver so David Pratt and co have been let go. They will be expanding the 3 remaining programs to 4 hours each. Story I read said cuts like these were happening across the country.

I doubt it, for Toronto at least. TSN is starting to overtake the FAN here. OverDrive apparently has absurd podcast numbers(like rivaling American podcasts)

Fall & Winter 2018-2019 Sports Radio Ratings – Toronto Sports Media Blog

If you want to look at last year’s data for the same time period go here. When you look at the older demo year over year – end of February 2018 to end of February 2019 – here is what you see:
FAN mornings: loss of 26%
FAN lunchtime: loss of 40%
FAN early afternoon: loss of 45%
FAN drivetime: loss of 26%
TSN1050 mornings: gain of 20%
TSN1050 lunchtime: loss of 20%
TSN1050 early afternoon: no change
TSN1050 drivetime: gain of 55%

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Truth is most people just want to be left alone and not have their lives overturned on a weekly basis over some new agenda being shoved down peoples throats. Forget the fact that the majority who preach are the biggest hypocrites you could possibly imagine.

quote:
“The average man does not want to be free. He simply wants to be safe.”

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If you follow through those links you can see that TSN Overdrive has next to nothing for radio listeners in the 18-34 demos while making huge gains in the older demos. It's pretty obvious that the podcast delivery of the TSN Overdrive (without the 20 minutes of commercials) is what the younger demo is listening to. I'm not sure how they're going to monetize those gains without the wall of ED, car recycling scam and ambulance chaser ads. And I'm surprised as many people still listen to commercial radio as those ratings suggest.

Reactions: OddyOh

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
The strange thing about modern society: people lose their minds over words yet they go home and watch Netflix that's filled with the darkest shows ever made in television history. Absolute brutality day in and day out yet these visual images are ok? Then you hear stuff about protecting children, yet the most popular show among pre-teens is Riverdale.....a show where most of the main characters belong to gangs and have actually tortured people on the show. Bring this up to parents and they look at you with glazed eyes (I have.....it's like they've never given any thought to it).

Not saying that Reilly shouldn't have been investigated....I'm fine with that....it's just that society is completely inconsistent (and cuckoo) in my eyes.

Words are real, Netflix is fantasy.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
If you follow through those links you can see that TSN Overdrive has next to nothing for radio listeners in the 18-34 demos while making huge gains in the older demos. It's pretty obvious that the podcast delivery of the TSN Overdrive (without the 20 minutes of commercials) is what the younger demo is listening to. I'm not sure how they're going to monetize those gains without the wall of ED, car recycling scam and ambulance chaser ads. And I'm surprised as many people still listen to commercial radio as those ratings suggest.

He also acknowledges that the method for determining listernership favours older demographics. So no one really knows how many young people are listening to Overdrive on the radio itself. It could be a lot

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I can’t listen to Overdrive live anymore with all the commercials and ads. There’s a 10 minute gap at times in commercials and it’s way too much.

TSN is pretty good at uploading it quickly after live podcast is finished.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I can’t listen to Overdrive live anymore with all the commercials and ads. There’s a 10 minute gap at times in commercials and it’s way too much.

TSN is pretty good at uploading it quickly after live podcast is finished.

they upload each hour about 20 mins into the next hour. It's great I can listen to hour 1 while working OT by 5:30pm at the latest, by the time im done hour 2 is ready and so on

Reactions: OddyOh

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
they upload each hour about 20 mins into the next hour. It's great I can listen to hour 1 while working OT by 5:30pm at the latest, by the time im done hour 2 is ready and so on

They upload it within 5 minutes tops on the TSN Overdrive page. Spotify and Podcast app take a while longer

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Truth is most people just want to be left alone and not have their lives overturned on a weekly basis over some new agenda being shoved down peoples throats.

Completely true. But those people also shouldn't pretend that society has no more progressing to do beyond what they grew up believing.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
The National Post along with some other outlets reported that changes were coming at TSN and one of the Toronto casualties was Gareth Wheeler. Yet I just went to his Insta page and he posted something 2 hours ago at the Raptors 905 game. Very strange - maybe they got it wrong, or he's just going to ride out a notice period or something. Either way, I'll be in the minority but would be sad to see him go.

Edit: I see this was previously discussed above. Either way strange to see him continually post on Insta for his TSN job - I guess he's either being a great sport about it or its fake-news.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The National Post along with some other outlets reported that changes were coming at TSN and one of the Toronto casualties was Gareth Wheeler. Yet I just went to his Insta page and he posted something 2 hours ago at the Raptors 905 game. Very strange - maybe they got it wrong, or he's just going to ride out a notice period or something. Either way, I'll be in the minority but would be sad to see him go.

Wheeler is horrible, so no loss there if true.

But it was weird how TSN axed the Wheeler and Cauz show from 9-12 a couple of years ago, but both have still been regulars on the station, especially the latter filling in during prime time slots.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Wheeler is horrible, so no loss there if true.

But it was weird how TSN axed the Wheeler and Cauz show from 9-12 a couple of years ago, but both have still been regulars on the station, especially the latter filling in during prime time slots.

Well I think axing a show could be different from axing an employee? They would need to have employees on stand-by for various situations to fill in on air.

Wheeler is very far from their worst personalities - I guess if you don't like a good rant or unfiltered opinion I could see it.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
I can't even imagine what anyone appreciates about that contrarian hipster idiot.
Maybe because he is one ?

I'm not a fan of Wheeler's, so not a big loss IMO, but what i find concerning is how often these radio stations are making cuts.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I guess if you don't like a good rant or unfiltered opinion I could see it.

What a Wheeler-like comment.

Yeah, of course no one could possibly dislike Wheeler. He's super awesome and anyone who doesn't like him obviously doesn't like "good" things or honesty.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
What a Wheeler-like comment.

Yeah, of course no one could possibly dislike Wheeler. He's super awesome and anyone who doesn't like him obviously doesn't like "good" things or honesty.

You sound pretty triggered. I hope your problems get worked out soon.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I doubt it, for Toronto at least. TSN is starting to overtake the FAN here. OverDrive apparently has absurd podcast numbers(like rivaling American podcasts)

Fall & Winter 2018-2019 Sports Radio Ratings – Toronto Sports Media Blog

Count me a Overdrive podcast guy.

I'm usually still working 4-7 and my commute home is a 5-10 minute drive. I listen at night as I go to bed or while playing video games. Plus there are no commercials.

Downside is listening to pregame talk after the actual game. Them chirping the Cleveland Cavs Monday then losing was awkward.

The other thing is is that PTS has all 3 hours broadcast on TV. Overdrive at most has 1 hour only if there aren't random tennis or curling on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad