TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19 (v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Exhibit 946C of why Jeff Veillette will NEVER be hired by a mainstream organization.

In Jeff's mind, Morgan was guilty before any investigation was started.

White knighting around the internet as usual.

I imagine Jeff, along with several other media members, will be issuing an apology.

Edit: he indeed did. Good for him for admitting his wrongdoing.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Although the Hulkster brought down Gawker, maybe Captain Morgan can do us all a favour and take down Rogers and Bell.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I imagine Jeff, along with several other media members, will be issuing an apology.

I can forgive somebody if they unreservedly apologise for there mistake, unfortunately with how dug in people are now days they won't even do that most of the time

I thought the Covington libel suits may have made people wake up a bit from joining these mobs before all the facts are out, it would seem I was incorrect

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I doubt Rielly will want to take this any further. I wish he would.
They know they won't which is why they continue this crap over and over regardless of whos destroyed in the process. Hilarious watching history repeat itself.

Reactions: al secord

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
They know they won't which is why they continue this crap over and over regardless of whos destroyed in the process. Hilarious watching history repeat itself.

I think you guys might be over-thinking things. Unfortunately, this to me is just a by-product of the world we live in right now where there's more value placed on speed of dissemination, going viral, offering a quick hot take (ie. the first hot take), eyeballs, over accuracy or the truth. Welcome to the social media age.

CyBorgman

Oct 4, 2017
I predicted last night in the locked thread that Rielly would be innocent and Dubas would talk about putting him in the Pride parade anyways lol, it's so predictable.

In the span of a couple hours Dubas wimpy team wass exposed again, his wimpy negotiating overpayments exposed again. And then he tops it off by throwing his only elite defenseman under the busy for some twitter cred. What a leader.

Reactions: forecheck

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I predicted last night in the locked thread that Rielly would be innocent and Dubas would talk about putting him in the Pride parade anyways lol, it's so predictable.

In the span of a couple hours Dubas wimpy team wass exposed again, his wimpy negotiating overpayments exposed again. And then he tops it off by throwing his only elite defenseman under the busy for some twitter cred. What a leader.

what in the name of heaven are you talking about?

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

Sadly alot of people are deferring to, "but this still proves its a problem" as if that absolves them from blame.

It very likely is a problem, but that's irrelevant in terms of what Rielly had to deal with and their jumping to conclusions. Is it so hard to admit you're wrong and apologize to Rielly after trashing him for 16 hours?

(Note: using the general "you're", not referring to you specifically. ;))

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
If that’s indeed the case, I imagine libel charges will be pursued. If they are not, then I imagine it’s water under the bridge.

I really don't think it lasted long enough to do any damage. There was a rumour and an investigation and Reilly was cleared, all within what - 16 hours or so?

I would estimate the damage to Reilly's reputation as about...... zero.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I really don't think it lasted long enough to do any damage. There was a rumour and an investigation and Reilly was cleared, all within what - 16 hours or so?

I would estimate the damage to Reilly's reputation as about...... zero.
There are a bunch of idiots out there who still believe the NHL is covering for him. His reputation definitely isn't held in the same regard it was yesterday, because nothing really helped it, and some people can't accept they were wrong. Just search his name on twitter.

I do think the Leafs should have issued a statement saying Morgan denies that he said this, and we stand by one of our teams valued leaders initially.

Either way, glad Rielly is vindicated. But, the rush to publish pretty unsubstantiated stuff immediately due to the Twitter news cycle, instead of actually vetting stories is a disaster in all walks of life right now.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Morgan was rattled by all the negative things being said and the rush to judgement.

Host of radio and tv shows as well as print media know better then to assign guilt or blame. I watch Kipper almost lose his mind over the question even being asked. He said that Morgan denied it right away as did the refs etc yet it took the NHL 14 hours or so to say he did not say that. Even listening to the tape it was clear that there were two different voices.
Kipper was seriously pissed at the whole situation.

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
There are a bunch of idiots out there who still believe the NHL is covering for him. His reputation definitely isn't held in the same regard it was yesterday, because nothing really helped it, and some people can't accept they were wrong. Just search his name on twitter.

I do think the Leafs should have issued a statement saying Morgan denies that he said this, and we stand by one of our teams valued leaders initially.

Either way, glad Rielly is vindicated. But, the rush to publish pretty unsubstantiated stuff immediately due to the Twitter news cycle, instead of actually vetting stories is a disaster in all walks of life right now.

I saw a tweet from some dumb Flyers blogger whose stance was that homophobia is bad so she shouldn’t need to apologize to Rielly.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Seemed like a pretty empty string of apologies.

I expect similar "apologies" from other media members who have the same level of integrity to just immediately jump to conclusions like that. Just because you say sorry, doesn't make you immune to criticism. Jeff Veillette and others after apologizing, if they receive more criticism, should just stick to something like "you're correct, I jumped to conclusions too early like I said in my apology. I know that doesn't fully make up for it, but I plan to work with more due diligence in the future.", instead of just responding with these garbage excuses, deflections, etc.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

no word of a lie i had people flat out tell me Rielly should be kicked out of the league. - I didn't even know what was going on (worked late, left home early before morning news/catch up here) so he said Mo said something homophobic. and I was like but that doesn't seem like Mo would do. so I went to TSN, and i saw the reports, and I said - well no he didn't because the NHL did their investigation, and the ref even said Rielly didn't say that. Instant response was basically, whatever. it's clearly being covered up. and I am like.. why when there clear precedence that the League will suspend player (high end or otherwise - would they protect Morgan Rielly? up till now, no repsonse.

like. seriously

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Seemed like a pretty empty string of apologies.

I expect similar "apologies" from other media members who have the same level of integrity to just immediately jump to conclusions like that. Just because you say sorry, doesn't make you immune to criticism. Jeff Veillette and others after apologizing, if they receive more criticism, should just stick to something like "you're correct, I jumped to conclusions too early like I said in my apology. I know that doesn't fully make up for it, but I plan to work with more due diligence in the future.", instead of just responding with these garbage excuses, deflections, etc.

my mother has a saying.
you say i'm sorry when you are wrong, and I apologise when you want to end an argument.

he's apologising.

i don't have twitter right now, but basically what he could have done is maybe wait and see if anything was actually said. it wasn't a clear cut hit or something. it was something a mic picked up, which - as we know, can pick up everything. he didn't know yet he rushed to judgement.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
my mother has a saying.
you say i'm sorry when you are wrong, and I apologise when you want to end an argument.

he's apologising.

i don't have twitter right now, but basically what he could have done is maybe wait and see if anything was actually said. it wasn't a clear cut hit or something. it was something a mic picked up, which - as we know, can pick up everything. he didn't know yet he rushed to judgement.

Yeah, that's what I said to my wife. It was never clear. Totally different story if his face was on camera and you see him say it. Sure, there's not much of an investigation to be done there. But this something on multiple mics in an arena full of people. No clear audio, no video or his face.

I found it strange from the get go; it doesn't even sound like Mo who said it. You hear him muffled say profanity and hook, but then clear as day you hear him say a much worse word? Why did his pitch change and he become so much clearer as he moves away from the ref? He also must be the most blatant person on earth because seconds later he says the the short form of the word 3 more times (as we know now the word was likely rag.)

Even if the NHL didn't clear him the vast majority of circumstantial evidence points to it not being Mo, or not being said at all. But that won't stop those on Twitter, "I heard what I heard."

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Exhibit 946C of why Jeff Veillette will NEVER be hired by a mainstream organization.

In Jeff's mind, Morgan was guilty before any investigation was started.

White knighting around the internet as usual.

Noodles was calling him out on OverDrive right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad