TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19 (v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Completely true. But those people also shouldn't pretend that society has no more progressing to do beyond what they grew up believing.

This is also completely true, however the issue many people have is that fanatical so-called progressives are also a huge part of the problem. Just as people should accept their progressing beyond their childhood norms, they should also accept there is progressing beyond the current mainstream understanding of what it is to be liberal.

Once we stop being militant with each other you start to notice that we have alot more in common with one another. The vocal minority of most groups often take on the mainstream identity. Jumping to extremes and calling people bigots or saying they're part of some hate group is no better than someone else calling them snowflakes and soft. It accomplishes nothing. Not to mention extremes dilute the importance of many of these words and causes.

It sounds dramatic, but sadly we often dehumanize one another and argue over group identities that we usually don't agree with or even a part of. What's worse is then we defend people simply because they're "on our side."

Ps. None of this is directed toward you. Just thinking out loud. I think fanaticism by any demographic is bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stand Witness

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I don’t want to see anyone lose their job and I don’t think Wheeler is a bad radio guy but I really think he is clueless and I have better takes then him. He just sounds off base 90% of the time. Is he a TFC specialty guy?

Reactions: supermann_98

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Any recommendations for podcast apps for Android? The one I'm using now seems slow...

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Bryan Hayes just said debauchery instead of debacle.
Hayes is as far from debauchery as I’d expect.

O’Neill on the other hand...

Those 3 work so well together. If there were an accurate measure of listeners, Overdrive would be killing it and seriously competing with US shows.

PTS was better when it was more Bobcat and less hosts, when he actually engaged in active conversation, and when he wasn’t brown nosing to Rogers.

To this day, a pissed off Bobcat is the most entertaining thing, but he just seems to want to protect the image of Rogers and rarely has negative things to say about them.

Last time I heard him pissed off was when AA left.

I understand the TSN guys being reserved in their criticism of Rogers as they don’t want to appear biased too much, but Hayes and especially O’Neill have had some aggressive takes on the fiasco that is the Jays situation with Shatkins and AA and the radical slashing of payroll.

I’ve been home for nearly 2 weeks recovering from surgery and I still listen to minimum of Hour 2 of Overdrive every day.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Discriminatory words are directed to 'hate' or 'belittle' someone.

"Riverdale"/dark shows aren't hate towards a group of people.

Thats what you missed.
Fair enough. Although I would argue that some of these TV shows definitely belittle people. Try watching some of the shows if you hold traditional or religious beliefs. Or watch how some ethnic groups are often portrayed in movies. Also, psychological studies have consistently shown that visual images are WAY more impactful than words. Why are we not looking into televisions and movies and the profound direct and subconscious impact they can have on people? (hint:$) Why is it always the issues that pits the commoners against one another that gets the most attention?

Also, if we're going in the direction where we punish "hateful" speech it has to extend to all people living in the society or it's just not going to work. It will just build resentment, as we are seeing on this very thread.

Reactions: JustAShadow

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Fair enough. Although I would argue that some of these TV shows definitely belittle people. Try watching some of the shows if you hold traditional or religious beliefs. Or watch how some ethnic groups are often portrayed in movies. Also, psychological studies have consistently shown that visual images are WAY more impactful than words. Why are we not looking into televisions and movies and the profound direct and subconscious impact they can have on people? (hint:$) Why is it always the issues that pits the commoners against one another that gets the most attention?

Also, if we're going in the direction where we punish "hateful" speech it has to extend to all people living in the society or it's just not going to work. It will just build resentment, as we are seeing on this very thread.

By "Dark Shows", I think you probably mean "nihilism". I seriously doubt these things are conscious decisions (although greenlighting many of them probably is) but they're another step towards seeing the world as dire, out of your control, a march to oblivion, meaningless... And when everything seems so bleak, what better to do than mock/destroy everything especially for those who continue to live their lives like it has meaning?

Last edited:

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Wow TSN radio made a bunch of cuts. No more Wheeler, which i'm not too upset about. I think he is terrible as a radio personality but hopefully he lands on his feet. Can't be happy about anyone losing their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad