TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtler in Toronto

Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
Marinaro is not positioning himself as a hockey god or something, his segment on the radio is entertaining, for the most part, so he's doing his job.

I still listen to him when I'm in the car. He's good at his job. He's been doing it for a long time now.
He would also be the first to tell you he is good at his job....

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I still listen to him when I'm in the car. He's good at his job. He's been doing it for a long time now.
He would also be the first to tell you he is good at his job....

Oh yeah for sure! I kinda enjoy that part though... Makes me laugh...

Again, as an entertainer, he's the top on that whole panel!

And I mean sometimes I need a good laugh to change ideas so I definitely don't mind the guy.

Mtler in Toronto

Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
Oh yeah for sure! I kinda enjoy that part though... Makes me laugh...

Again, as an entertainer, he's the top on that whole panel!

And I mean sometimes I need a good laugh to change ideas so I definitely don't mind the guy.

I have laughed out loud a few times. You are right when you say he is one of the better ones on the station right now(as far as entertainment goes) . Mostly listen to the morning show. Hate to say it but McKenna has grown on me believe it or not.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I have laughed out loud a few times. You are right when you say he is one of the better ones on the station right now(as far as entertainment goes) . Mostly listen to the morning show. Hate to say it but McKenna has grown on me believe it or not.

Did you change your Nickname?

Yeah morning show is not bad, anyways I just don't get people criticizing shit 24/7, when I really dislike something I just stop consuming/using and move on!

But what we witness here is clearly a hobby of shiting on everything.

Mtler in Toronto

Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
Did you change your Nickname?

Yeah morning show is not bad, anyways I just don't get people criticizing shit 24/7, when I really dislike something I just stop consuming/using and move on!

But what we witness here is clearly a hobby of shiting on everything.

Same name for 10 years now but someone else uses the same Naslund Pic though. Im just happy there is sports radio in Montreal. That wasn't always the case and I'm glad it's an entertainment option.

Reactions: Belial

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Same name for 10 years now but someone else uses the same Naslund Pic though. Im just happy there is sports radio in Montreal. That wasn't always the case and I'm glad it's an entertainment option.
Sorry, must be the avatar.

You gotta post more, what's wrong with you? :laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah I have zero interest in soccer so I've pretty much given up on Tony's show if there's no Habs related news and I only tune in for Habs lunch these days. Good for the listeners who enjoy soccer and like soccer talk but I'm not the least bit interested in soccer so I just don't listen.

I've been tuning into TSN1050 on and off the past couple of months listening to a bit of Leafs lunch and lets just say Campbell doesn't really seem so bad after listening to some of that show. Yeah it's not good. I've come around on Gallo a bit but only when he's on with Melnick. I quite like the banter between Gallo and Aaron Ward.

Aaron Ward is a rising star. He's a laugh a minute. The guy deserves a bigger stage.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
Lol just listened to Nilan talk about his old days when he used to drink. He just let the s bomb slip. Said he was “shit faced” the. Goes “oops” hahahaa

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Good job tsn690.....a sporting legend passes...Tony is able to talk a bit about it for a few minutes...then Campbell comes on with Nilan...and they talk about Muller and the powerplay...then continue to talk about who they would play on the first pp unit.....the shit they talk about weekly on this program when hockey isnt even gonna be played for another 2 months if we are lucky. Meanwhile the biggest sports star in this biggest sport on the planet passes...and nothing. Champions league...the biggest tourney going in sports right now is on...nothing. Kobe passes, multiple segments(understandable)

This is a trash station. Once Campbell shows up, the jig is up. Pretty much everything after noon....not worth a damn penny.

Let's give chatter on and updates on Hotdog eating constest(gallo)....golf talk.....Patriots talk because Nilan...fishing....

But nothing on f***ing Diego. Embarrassing.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It’s more akin to a college radio station than a professional broadcast. Once they let go of Price in the morning show, the entire station was dependent on Melnick in the afternoon to shoulder them. Everything else is mostly horrible, especially the morning show which I used to listen to every morning but now is unlistenable. Sad because it makes it hard to get my Habs fix in the mornings but the lack of money they’re willing to spend on talent is glaring.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’ve somehow managed to avoid most of 690’s programming for the last two weeks.

Campbell. :eek:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It will get better once hockey starts.
Good job tsn690.....a sporting legend passes...Tony is able to talk a bit about it for a few minutes...then Campbell comes on with Nilan...and they talk about Muller and the powerplay...then continue to talk about who they would play on the first pp unit.....the shit they talk about weekly on this program when hockey isnt even gonna be played for another 2 months if we are lucky. Meanwhile the biggest sports star in this biggest sport on the planet passes...and nothing. Champions league...the biggest tourney going in sports right now is on...nothing. Kobe passes, multiple segments(understandable)

This is a trash station. Once Campbell shows up, the jig is up. Pretty much everything after noon....not worth a damn penny.

Let's give chatter on and updates on Hotdog eating constest(gallo)....golf talk.....Patriots talk because Nilan...fishing....

But nothing on f***ing Diego. Embarrassing.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Aaron Ward is a rising star. He's a laugh a minute. The guy deserves a bigger stage.

Ward seemed to be getting a push on TSN several years ago. He looked to be rising star back then too.

I don't know if he faded out of the limelight by choice, but I also remember that trade deadline on tsn where he broke the news that iginla had been traded to the bruins, except it never happened.

It seems to me that not long after this debacle, ward kind of faded from tsn.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Ward seemed to be getting a push on TSN several years ago. He looked to be rising star back then too.

I don't know if he faded out of the limelight by choice, but I also remember that trade deadline on tsn where he broke the news that iginla had been traded to the bruins, except it never happened.

Ward was suspended from appearing on air by TSN in Oct of 2015 due to an alleged assault involving his now ex wife. The charges were later dismissed and they never brought him back it seems.

A TSN spokesperson said, "We are aware of the situation and the seriousness of the charges. As a result, Aaron Ward will not appear on-air until further notice."

TSN analyst Aaron Ward arrested - TSN.ca

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

I just saw this post and I 100% agree. They guy is just fantastic to listen to.

I was listening to him last week (I think it was) and he talked about the time while playing for the Canes that they beat the Leafs in 6 games in the playoffs in the early 2000's.

He said at the time the internet was just getting started for fans posting about hockey and he said the Canes team were reading just how confident the Leafs fanbase were that they were gonna 100% beat the Canes that year. He said it felt great to win against the Leafs but it felt even better to beat the Leafs fanbase. How can anyone possibly dislike that. :)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

He’s certainly able to spin a lot of good yarn on his thrice weekly half hour segment on Melnick’s show.

He has an attribute that’s rare but essential on a slow news day — something that old time broadcasters always had in their tool box — the ability to ad lib competently. Never a dull moment, unlike sad pandas like Campbell and pseudo intellectuals like Gallo.

Now, I just hope he hasn’t done anything in his personal life that might cast a shadow on his radio work. My comments were strictly in relation to his radio work.

Last edited:
Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
He’s certainly able to spin a lot of good yarn on his daily half hour segment on Melnick’s show.

He has an attribute that’s rare but essential on a slow news day — something that old time broadcasters always had in their tool box — the ability to ad lib competently. Never a dull moment, unlike sad pandas like Campbell and pseudo intellectuals like Gallo.

Now, I just hope he hasn’t done anything in his personal life that might cast a shadow on his radio work. My comments were strictly in relation to his radio work.

His segment below from early Dec when he was sharing mother stories with Melnick and he talked about his mother and the shower head story was funny as hell. :laugh:

Ward: Avs took on Patrick Roy's personality

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
His segment below from early Dec when he was sharing mother stories with Melnick and he talked about his mother and the shower head story was funny as hell. :laugh:

Ward: Avs took on Patrick Roy's personality

So much going on in that clip.

Best part was after Ward was done, Melnick turned to his sidekicks and asked “do you guys have any mom stories?” :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: sheed36

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Ward: I think Habs will finish 1st in the North

Aaron Ward thinks the Habs can put up their top 4 on D against anybody's in the league, he likes Edmundson-Petry as a pairing. He picks them to win the division, it was between Edmonton and Montreal for him. On Romanov, it's about opposing forwards' tendencies in shooting, dumping, hitting etc. which Kulak will hopefully teach him about. "To know when the time is right to step in on a player", which we know Romanov will do a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad