TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
People who are subjecting themselves to subpar content have a right to voice displeasure with it. They’re the ones paying the bills by consuming the station’s advertising.

If the station is making no effort to do better and it’s the only English language sports station available to the market via conventional radio, listeners have no other way to get their voices heard. Using a keyboard makes it no less consequential.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
People who are subjecting themselves to subpar content have a right to voice displeasure with it. They’re the ones paying the bills by consuming the station’s advertising.

If the station is making no effort to do better and it’s the only English language sports station available to the market via conventional radio, listeners have no other way to get their voices heard. Using a keyboard makes it no less consequential.
Dude, if you have such a big issue with it just don't listen to the guy. Calling him a spineless clown or saying he should be ashamed to show himself in public because you don't like his show is just ridiculous.

It's quite obvious that Tony Marinaro puts on a show, he's looking to create a story where there isn't one, but that can be said about most major media, that's what viewers/listeners are attracted to, it really is unfortunate. If anything, the way Marinaro acts says more about the listeners than himself lol, he knows exactly what he's doing.

Am I a fan? No. But there's a difference between being displeased with content and personally attacking someone who is doing his job.

Reactions: David Suzuki

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Dude, if you have such a big issue with it just don't listen to the guy. Calling him a spineless clown or saying he should be ashamed to show himself in public because you don't like his show is just ridiculous.

It's quite obvious that Tony Marinaro puts on a show, he's looking to create a story where there isn't one, but that can be said about most major media, that's what viewers/listeners are attracted to, it really is unfortunate. If anything, the way Marinaro acts says more about the listeners than himself lol, he knows exactly what he's doing.

Am I a fan? No. But there's a difference between being displeased with content and personally attacking someone who is doing his job.

"Dude", you missed my point completely.

I didn't answer your post directly as I was making a whole other point. If you have an issue with whoever called Marinaro a "spineless clown" or whatever, take it up with that poster.

I don't need any lessons about what Marinaro is doing and not doing, it's rather obvious. More power to him that he's able to hold on to a job doing what he does.

You, nor anyone else, has the authority to tell anyone how they should be dealing with any given service. It's a personal decision by those who generate revenue for the station. My comment had to do with the station's programming as a whole, which I find to be subpar. You don't have to agree with my stance nor do I care, however, don't come at me with Marinaro BS.

I specifically mentioned that English language sports radio options were limited to that one station in terms of conventional radio. Hence, it's not a matter of going to another station for a sports fix. Not everyone is subscribed to SiriusXM radio when they're in their car -- it's 690 for a sports fix or turning to a francophone station. So please spare me the admonition about not listening to "the guy".

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com

Agreed. It's pretty embarrassing that people continue to post such personal, negative vitriol on here. If you don't like the station just don't listen to it. The jealousy is deafening.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
John Still is horrible

I think they should revisit their hiring practices. Part of the issue as I see it is that they tend to hire their on air staff from those who spend time in their production booth.

I realize they're probably very low paying jobs but I'm sure they'd do better if they'd cast a wider net rather than just hiring from within.

As for the criticism leveled against these guys, it's all par for the course. I've been listening to radio for a long time and there have always seen listeners who don't enjoy certain hosts. However, the biggest difference for me is how in past decades, there was a higher level of professionalism. When sportscasters got a job in Montreal, they typically came from a smaller station where they had spent a long time honing their skills.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Agreed. It's pretty embarrassing that people continue to post such personal, negative vitriol on here. If you don't like the station just don't listen to it. The jealousy is deafening.

How are you certain that it’s jealousy?

Is all criticism of anyone jealousy? Should all criticism of anyone on the board stop? Players, coaches, management of all teams?

Marinaro is terrible. What specifically would make me jealous of him?

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I think they should revisit their hiring practices. Part of the issue as I see it is that they tend to hire their on air staff from those who spend time in their production booth.

I realize they're probably very low paying jobs but I'm sure they'd do better if they'd cast a wider net rather than just hiring from within.

As for the criticism leveled against these guys, it's all par for the course. I've been listening to radio for a long time and there have always seen listeners who don't enjoy certain hosts. However, the biggest difference for me is how in past decades, there was a higher level of professionalism. When sportscasters got a job in Montreal, they typically came from a smaller station where they had spent a long time honing their skills.

Most smaller markets barely have any staff now. I knew some sports radio guys out west and most of them started somewhere in the WHL, covering the local sports team. Those stations are still hanging on, but the on air staff is gutted now.

Most people who enter on-air broadcasting will get their first job at a decent sized station doing traffic reports at $15 an hour. A fair number of people are trying podcasting, but when you are a nobody it’s hard to get any recognition.

At this time, I can’t imagine a worse industry in which to pursue a career than media. I don’t foresee a great influx of talent into the industry.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I can't even believe that there's a conversation on here about whether it's normal behaviour to say someone should be ashamed to show their face in public and that their children should be ashamed of their father because they're a bad radio host :laugh:

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
How are you certain that it’s jealousy?

People should criticize him because he isn't very good, that said, when the criticism is so strong and emotional as "he should be ashamed to show his face in public" or "his kids should be ashamed of him" I think it's valid to wonder if there isn't more to it then thinking he's a bad radio host.

Reactions: Favster

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
People should criticize him because he isn't very good, that said, when the criticism is so strong and emotional as "he should be ashamed to show his face in public" or "his kids should be ashamed of him" I think it's valid to wonder if there isn't more to it then thinking he's a bad radio host.

While that level of dislike is unreasonable or hyperbole, I still don’t get why it specifically equates to jealousy.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
"Dude", you missed my point completely.

I didn't answer your post directly as I was making a whole other point. If you have an issue with whoever called Marinaro a "spineless clown" or whatever, take it up with that poster.

I don't need any lessons about what Marinaro is doing and not doing, it's rather obvious. More power to him that he's able to hold on to a job doing what he does.

You, nor anyone else, has the authority to tell anyone how they should be dealing with any given service. It's a personal decision by those who generate revenue for the station. My comment had to do with the station's programming as a whole, which I find to be subpar. You don't have to agree with my stance nor do I care, however, don't come at me with Marinaro BS.

I specifically mentioned that English language sports radio options were limited to that one station in terms of conventional radio. Hence, it's not a matter of going to another station for a sports fix. Not everyone is subscribed to SiriusXM radio when they're in their car -- it's 690 for a sports fix or turning to a francophone station. So please spare me the admonition about not listening to "the guy".
So it means anglophones conventional radio listeners have no choice listening to him?
They should redo their formula and bring a much better show than Morinaro if they have a fast brain.
I feel sorry for anglophones listeners.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I haven't listened in 2 years. Is that taint-licker Nilan, still spewing his concussed insanity and shouting 'Listen' just before he goes off on some idiotic tangent?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So it means anglophones conventional radio listeners have no choice listening to him?
They should redo their formula and bring a much better show than Morinaro if they have a fast brain.
I feel sorry for anglophones listeners.

Well, franco radio offers different content and pundits, so combining the two provides greater insight.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I honestly don't mind Marinaro. I think he's entertaining and I like his show. I just think his interviews with Bergevin are cringe-worthy. Bergevin obviously doesn't like him very much and Tony is just trying way too much. Which amounts to awkward interviews.

To be honest I like Marinaro's show, and while I don't like Melnyck, I like his usual guests. It's Nilan that I can't stand. The guy shouldn't have a radio show. He's a very, very poor communicator and really doesn't look at his place. His show is the most boring of the bunch.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My favorite part of 690 are the guest pundits. Love the analysis, anecdotes, wit and humor.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Well, franco radio offers different content and pundits, so combining the two provides greater insight.
Franco have choice. 98,5 is mostly good, they sound very professional, not too colourfull.
91,9 are open to talk sport more hours, they might have lower salary but they do a good job, they are more coloured and have funny talkin' easy listening. It's just bad I can't catch 91,9 on radio more often, their signal doesn't go beyong Chateauguay or Candiac on south shore. I should get them by web radio. I could listen Gonzo and Laraque talking for hours and hours, I like them a lot.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Franco have choice. 98,5 is mostly good, they sound very professional, not too colourfull.
91,9 are open to talk sport more hours, they might have lower salary but they do a good job, they are more coloured and have funny talkin' easy listening. It's just bad I can't catch 91,9 on radio more often, their signal doesn't go beyong Chateauguay or Candiac on south shore. I should get them by web radio. I could listen Gonzo and Laraque talking for hours and hours, I like them a lot.

I’m not a fan of certain crusty demagogical types like Reggie Tremblay, but like you, I enjoy listening to Gonzo and Laraque — they’re so easy going and smooth.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I’m not a fan of certain crusty demagogical types like Reggie Tremblay, but like you, I enjoy listening to Gonzo and Laraque — they’re so easy going and smooth.
One doesn't take too much place, they share 50-50 of the show, they respond to each other quite fluid, a good complicity.
I remember a late morning around 11 am they were 5 guys or so talking and were having fun about that batman movie in '66, when Adam West had this fake rubber shark hooked to his leg in a latter pulled by his helicopter. Batman use a shark repellant bat spray with the help of Robin. How hilarious it can be !
He said he had to watch these batman movies with his 3 yrs old kid because all the recent batmans movies are too dark for a young kid. They made me laught.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I'm not in tune with Montreal media so I don't know how much this applies to French media, though based on some comments here, looks like French media isn't too much better than English in their on-air talent.

We got idiots in Toronto media, but for the most part, most of them actually have a background in sports or sports journalism. So, when I hear McLennan and O'Neil discuss sports, even if it is basketball and not hockey, they are more credible to me than when I hear Marinaro talk whatever. I've already expressed my feelings about others like Campbell and Gallo...

I don't recall the exact instance, but I listened to all morning shows on 690 since I'm just crunching data at my desk and need background noise. While I can't be sure exactly what it was, though I think it was around the time Pacioretty was subject of trade rumours, Tony's antics were the last straw. I stopped listening to 690 since, at least between 10a to 12p.

I know they have detractors, but I enjoy listening to Dumont, Denis and Basu when they join the shows. Heck, even McGuire is ok now and then. Melnick doesn't always talk sports, and depending on his content, I may or may not have interest, but he has a level of maturity and insight that I appreciate.

End of the day, I like sports people talking sports. I also like it when they refrain from stupid shock radio and "talk show antics". I don't WANT to listen to Sportsnet (or TSN... not sure who will air a post game) tomorrow night when the Habs/Leafs game is over, but I sure as heck don't want to listen to the Delmar PG show. In fact, since it's an all Canadian division this season, I'm going to check out the TSN stations when the Habs play other teams to see how their post game shows are.

On that note, so there is no confusion, I hate/despise/call people idiots regarding their on-air personnas. I don't know anyone personally and to be honest, I probably could care less (assuming they aren't particularly vile, abusive or toxic in real life). Just saying this so that I don't get cancel culture police banging on my door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad