TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Do you really think a guy who a 2 time stanley cup winning ex-GM like Savard says is the most knowledgeable of players and who he chooses to be a finalist for the GM job is an idiot? I doubt it. You can disagree with McGuire. But he's not an idiot.

Savard might of might not have been a great GM in the past, but those days are long gone. Réjean Houle won 5 Stanley Cups as a player. By your logic, he should have great hockey knowledge, right?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Savard might of might not have been a great GM in the past, but those days are long gone. Réjean Houle won 5 Stanley Cups as a player. By your logic, he should have great hockey knowledge, right?

No Savard won 2 cups as a GM ;)

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
No Savard won 2 cups as a GM ;)
Yeah, 24 years and 17 years ago. Now he's crying in the newspapers that Molson doesn't care enough about his opinion... He should stick to Assante.

I hate when boomers don't realize their time to shine has come to an end.

Reactions: dralaf

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, 24 years and 17 years ago. Now he's crying in the newspapers that Molson doesn't care enough about his opinion... He should stick to Assante.

I hate when boomers don't realize their time to shine has come to an end.

I don't agree with Savard crying in the media. But he's no idiot. He won two cups as GM. Estimated_Prophet made some decent points about why he sees McGuire as an idiot. But I don't. McGuire's over exuberant, comes across as creepy tot he players, and I disagree with him many times. But I don't see him as an idiot.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Do you really think a guy who a 2 time stanley cup winning ex-GM like Savard says is the most knowledgeable of players and who he chooses to be a finalist for the GM job is an idiot? I doubt it. You can disagree with McGuire. But he's not an idiot.

I agree with you. McGuire is all over the place with his predictions and opinions at times but he's not an idiot in terms of hockey knowledge.

Roots73

TMLTP- ITS IN THE GAME!
May 10, 2004
Did anybody catch what happened this morning around 8:30? Morning crew basically signed off and they did reruns until 10am. Was it an illness precaution in the studio or something?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Did anybody catch what happened this morning around 8:30? Morning crew basically signed off and they did reruns until 10am. Was it an illness precaution in the studio or something?

Couldn't find anything about it online. I was hoping a few of them would have gotten permanently removed while on air, Cammaleri style. :sarcasm:

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
McGuire's analysis on a player is pretty much limited to compete, grit and character lol
Just like how wrong he was with his assessment of Brady Tkachuk while this board laughed at him because he was gonna be a bust?

Or how he's been wrong saying all along how Mete is a depth bottom pairing dman when people here were saying he is a top four?

This guy is almost always bang on with player scouting....and don't start with " it's easy to do after the fact" because he says it from when guys are teenagers.

Even when he is wrong, he admits it.

I honestly will never understand this hate for Mcguire. We should be thankful that for once the Habs drafted a player he is excited about.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Nilan had Petr Svoboda on his show today and they talked about when he defected and not knowing if he would ever see his parents and brother anymore at the time. Also talked about the first time his mom came over to Canada see him with Nilan driving him to the airport to pick her up.

Was also asked about Mysak and said he has a great shot and thinks he will be a good NHL player.

The whole segment was a very good listen and a nice chat between to old teammates talking about the good old times.

Here's the audio from that Svoboda TSN690 segment with Nilan today for anyone who wants to have a listen.
Svoboda: Wasn't easy getting to North America

I can still vividly remember watching that 1984 draft when the Habs picked Svoboda and seeing this skinny guy walking out and I didn't know who he was.

Here's that 84 draft when the Habs picked Svoboda with the Habs pick starting about 27:45 in.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
McGuire's analysis on a player is pretty much limited to compete, grit and character lol

I haven't listened to mcguire for years.... Pretty much since he moved to nbc, but I thought he was fun to listen to at tsn.

I don't think he provides a ton of insight about the little things in the game like a guy like Bieksa does, but he knew alot of quirky facts about the players that nobody else knew or cared to know.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Marinaro becoming even more obnoxious with his soccer infatuations.

He begins most of his shows with soccer (what else), moves on to a other sports but then, blurts out "let's switch gears" and goes back to soccer again.

He's had multiple appearances on AC lately, as a pundit debating questions with two other guests. On his most recent AC panel, he shows up with two soccer sweaters hanging behind him (one of them was Messi) and when he finishes his rant, he goes the extra mile by raising his arm in some kind of salute that you might see soccer fans get into at games -- comes across as a bigger buffoon that he already is.

I'm actually glad that he tries to get soccer talk going. "home of the impact".....the rest of the panelists on that station give it a cursory minute and then go back to talking about golf or the green bay packers and Nilan's love for Brady and anything New England. Messi is the greatest sports player on this planet and I doubt anyone but Tony knows about him. It's a shame. But let's have Nilan and campbell talk about fishing for the 500th time. Let's have Melnick talk music or whatever the hell Gallo was up to over the weekend....

What else at the moment aside from the NFL is there to discuss? They keep finding ways to discuss what the Habs should acquire and where each player should slot in....it gets dull.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm actually glad that he tries to get soccer talk going. "home of the impact".....the rest of the panelists on that station give it a cursory minute and then go back to talking about golf or the green bay packers and Nilan's love for Brady and anything New England. Messi is the greatest sports player on this planet and I doubt anyone but Tony knows about him. It's a shame. But let's have Nilan and campbell talk about fishing for the 500th time. Let's have Melnick talk music or whatever the hell Gallo was up to over the weekend....

What else at the moment aside from the NFL is there to discuss? They keep finding ways to discuss what the Habs should acquire and where each player should slot in....it gets dull.

Messi and Ronaldo are known the world over, they don’t need Marinaro’s stamp of approval nor caricatural clownish posturing.

His soccer talk is over the top, his show might as well be renamed The Soccer Forum. Soccer is not the no. 1 sport in the city, shoving more of it down people’s throats is not going to make it more palatable. Marinaro completely disregards his audience.

If you enjoy the garbage he spews, good on you.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Messi and Ronaldo are known the world over, they don’t need Marinaro’s stamp of approval nor caricatural clownish posturing.

His soccer talk is over the top, his show might as well be renamed The Soccer Forum. Soccer is not the no. 1 sport in the city, shoving more of it down people’s throats is not going to make it more palatable. Marinaro completely disregards his audience.

If you enjoy the garbage he spews, good on you.

Nor is football, golf, basketball, or baseball....but they all get multiple segments on each hosts program.

We have a soccer team, we dont have a baseball team...nor do we have a basketball team. It deserves the air time that it gets on Tony's show because otherwise it wouldnt have any at all.

To be honest, I dont enjoy the "garbage he spews" but he's better with his soccer talk than most of the other crap I'm forced to listen to on that station.

Melnick is a shell of his old self and completely overrated while surrounding himself with total plugs.

Campbell is everywhere and as dull as vanilla. Nilan can only competently talk about one subject.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Soccer is taking up way to much airtime. But like anything else, the audience, ratings and sponsors will decide.

There are other options, thankfully. I can find better broadcasters online from other cities. Even 91.9 FM has more interesting across the board coverage.

Marinaro, Gallo, Campbell, Kahn and their ilk are the lowest grade of broadcasting talent that Montreal sports radio has ever known. Some people embrace mediocrity, so why spoil their fun. Enjoy.

Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I dont understand how they have him scheduled so much. He should have a weekly show. Over the top satire tongue in cheek entertainment. The amount the 690 force feeds this clown to people is a detriment to society.

Marinaro is woefully out of touch. He is no Ted Tevan but is hell bent on stealing his mannerisms. Marinaro is an ignoramus who lucked out on a gig when the station wasn’t a TSN affiliate and he’s only gotten worse in the 18 years he’s been on air. Sadly, the station is clueless when it comes to attracting competent sports broadcasting talent.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Nilan had Petr Svoboda on his show today and they talked about when he defected and not knowing if he would ever see his parents and brother anymore at the time. Also talked about the first time his mom came over to Canada see him with Nilan driving him to the airport to pick her up.

Was also asked about Mysak and said he has a great shot and thinks he will be a good NHL player.

The whole segment was a very good listen and a nice chat between to old teammates talking about the good old times.

Here's the audio from that Svoboda TSN690 segment with Nilan today for anyone who wants to have a listen.
Svoboda: Wasn't easy getting to North America

I can still vividly remember watching that 1984 draft when the Habs picked Svoboda and seeing this skinny guy walking out and I didn't know who he was.

Here's that 84 draft when the Habs picked Svoboda with the Habs pick starting about 27:45 in.

Thanks for sending a link to that interview. That was fun to listen to. You can genuinely sense how appreciate he was of everything Nilan did.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I dont understand how they have him scheduled so much. He should have a weekly show. Over the top satire tongue in cheek entertainment. The amount the 690 force feeds this clown to people is a detriment to society.
Marinaro is an entertainer, he has two hours to fill every day by himself! Try and do that when there's literally nothing happening in terms of sport...

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Nor is football, golf, basketball, or baseball....but they all get multiple segments on each hosts program.

We have a soccer team, we dont have a baseball team...nor do we have a basketball team. It deserves the air time that it gets on Tony's show because otherwise it wouldnt have any at all.

To be honest, I dont enjoy the "garbage he spews" but he's better with his soccer talk than most of the other crap I'm forced to listen to on that station.

Melnick is a shell of his old self and completely overrated while surrounding himself with total plugs.

Campbell is everywhere and as dull as vanilla. Nilan can only competently talk about one subject.
The foot hate is quite strong around here right? :laugh:

It's a hockey board though so it's understandable... But there's no hockey to talk about so what's the problem? :facepalm:

The dude has to talk about something for 2 hours...

Reactions: JJ68

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Thanks for sending a link to that interview. That was fun to listen to. You can genuinely sense how appreciate he was of everything Nilan did.

Yes you sure can.It's a great story and a good listen.

It must've been very tough for Svoboda defecting to another country at such a young age and not knowing anyone and not really sure if he would ever see his parents or brother anymore. That took some major guts on his part but it all worked out great for him thanks to Savard and the entire Habs organization and players like Nilan for taking him under their wing and helping him adjust.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Soccer is taking up way to much airtime. But like anything else, the audience, ratings and sponsors will decide.

There are other options, thankfully. I can find better broadcasters online from other cities. Even 91.9 FM has more interesting across the board coverage.

Marinaro, Gallo, Campbell, Kahn and their ilk are the lowest grade of broadcasting talent that Montreal sports radio has ever known. Some people embrace mediocrity, so why spoil their fun. Enjoy.

Yeah I have zero interest in soccer so I've pretty much given up on Tony's show if there's no Habs related news and I only tune in for Habs lunch these days. Good for the listeners who enjoy soccer and like soccer talk but I'm not the least bit interested in soccer so I just don't listen.

I've been tuning into TSN1050 on and off the past couple of months listening to a bit of Leafs lunch and lets just say Campbell doesn't really seem so bad after listening to some of that show. Yeah it's not good. I've come around on Gallo a bit but only when he's on with Melnick. I quite like the banter between Gallo and Aaron Ward.

Reactions: Runner77

Mtler in Toronto

Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
I don't agree with Savard crying in the media. But he's no idiot. He won two cups as GM. Estimated_Prophet made some decent points about why he sees McGuire as an idiot. But I don't. McGuire's over exuberant, comes across as creepy tot he players, and I disagree with him many times. But I don't see him as an idiot.

Your wisdom is displayed by your profile pic. However I doubt Serge could even name 50 - 75 active Nhl players. Personally I think his speaking to the media about this was just to get his name out there to sell more copies of his book. No way is he qualified to run a team in 2020.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
The foot hate is quite strong around here right? :laugh:

It's a hockey board though so it's understandable... But there's no hockey to talk about so what's the problem? :facepalm:

The dude has to talk about something for 2 hours...

Seriously, some people seem to hate the fact soccer literally gets maybe 15 minutes of chatter a day on that station. That's less time than all the boring small talk Melnick makes on his show.

In fact Melnick literally wastes my time every damn day in his first half hour chit chatting with Gallo and that other guy. Hell, I think soccer gets less chat than the at times 7 minute intro songs Melnick pushes on us. If anybody on that station shoves his passions on the listeners it's Melnick...either for his love for Dylan and other singer songwriters, or his love for Baseball and the way he manages to slide a conversation into the long gone and dead Expos.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Seriously, some people seem to hate the fact soccer literally gets maybe 15 minutes of chatter a day on that station. That's less time than all the boring small talk Melnick makes on his show.

In fact Melnick literally wastes my time every damn day in his first half hour chit chatting with Gallo and that other guy. Hell, I think soccer gets less chat than the at times 7 minute intro songs Melnick pushes on us. If anybody on that station shoves his passions on the listeners it's Melnick...either for his love for Dylan and other singer songwriters, or his love for Baseball and the way he manages to slide a conversation into the long gone and dead Expos.
People just enjoy to hate around here there's no fracking other explanation!

It's some sort of drug for some and it makes them feel happier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->