TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not familiar with Tony's hero Ted Tevan or Randy Tieman. That was before my time of listening to Montreal sports radio.

Tieman was more of a "awe shucks" kind of guy, he had an easy laugh and just set the mood for an afternoon show.

Tevan on the other hand, had a commanding voice and was a master. He also used some basic special effects, like a machine gun he would play whenever he'd had an unpleasant conversation with a listener on air. He used to refer to such callers as "mooches".

He had a late night show on TSN690's previous version called "Sports Rap." Here's one of his conversations, to give you a flavor. Also uses his infamous machine gun in this one:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Tieman was more of a "awe shucks" kind of guy, he had an easy laugh and just set the mood for an afternoon show.

Tevan on the other hand, had a commanding voice and was a master. He also used some basic special effects, like a machine gun he would play whenever he'd had an unpleasant conversation with a listener on air. He used to refer to such callers as "mooches".

He had a late night show on TSN690's previous version called "Sports Rap." Here's one of his conversations, to give you a flavor. Also uses his infamous machine gun in this one:

Thanks. I'll have a listen to that later.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If you can just cue it at 7:37 as I realize you may not have the time or feel like getting invested in a clip about someone you never heard of, just listen to how he gets rid of someone he's been carrying a conversation with and whom he despises. He shouts out "You're gone!!!!", followed by the machine gun.

And then, he has a female voice that comes on, that offers to rub his temples. :laugh:

I can't tell you how many times I've heard him do that.

Marinaro was a listener and picked up some of his idiosyncracies. Too bad he's so woefully inept.

Reactions: sheed36

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I really quite enjoy listening to Ray Ferraro's TSN690 segments. The guy really knows his stuff.

I'm surprised a team hasn't hired him but maybe teams have tried but he prefers doing what he's doing now instead. He's having knee replacement surgery next Thursday and won't be back on until around Oct 9th so hopefully all goes well for him and his knee replacement.

His wife just got a job with Seattle. Ray makes Vancouver his home, so if he got the right offer from Vancouver or Seattle, maybe he wouldn't be against a front office role.

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
If you can just cue it at 7:37 as I realize you may not have the time or feel like getting invested in a clip about someone you never heard of, just listen to how he gets rid of someone he's been carrying a conversation with and whom he despises. He shouts out "You're gone!!!!", followed by the machine gun.

And then, he has a female voice that comes on, that offers to rub his temples. :laugh:

I can't tell you how many times I've heard him do that.

Marinaro was a listener and picked up some of his idiosyncracies. Too bad he's so woefully inept.

I just downloaded the clip from YT and since it's only 9 minutes I'll listen to all of it later tonight.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
His wife just got a job with Seattle. Ray makes Vancouver his home, so if he got the right offer from Vancouver or Seattle, maybe he wouldn't be against a front office role.

Yeah both teams would likely make the most sense to him if he wanted to get into joining a teams management staff at some point.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Never had the opportunity to listen to him before but what made me laugh was how long the gun sequence went on for.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Never had the opportunity to listen to him before but what made me laugh was how long the gun sequence went on for.

He was such a revered broadcaster. His rants were the best, he could draw from history, science, politics, literature on a dime and make it interesting. And had so many catch phrases that became classics amongst Montrealers in his hey-day.

So happy you enjoyed it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'll give a personal anecdote about Tevan.

One time my brother called his show and told him that he was tired of always having to listen to the same sports on the station.

So Tevan asked, what kind of sports did my brother want to talk about.

My brother answered "hunting."

Of course, my brother was no hunter and he was merely trying to annoy Tevan so he would cut him off.

So Tevan snapped back, "Hunting what, lions? Tigers?"

My brother answered "No, ducks." And he proceeded to make non-stop duck sounds, that sounded like the real thing.

The payoff came during the avalanche of duck sounds. "You're gone!!!!!" And the machine gun came in and got him off air. We couldn't stop laughing.

Last edited:

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Ward had a good time making fun of Melnick for sniffing vanilla yesterday. I bet Melnick regrets ever admitting to twisting open bottles in the store just to get a whiff. Super weird tbh, although I do like the scent of vanilla (but I only stick my nose near bottles that I actually own).

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Ward had a good time making fun of Melnick for sniffing vanilla yesterday. I bet Melnick regrets ever admitting to twisting open bottles in the store just to get a whiff. Super weird tbh, although I do like the scent of vanilla (but I only stick my nose near bottles that I actually own).

Ya that is a pretty freak fetish. He'd enjoy my place after knocking of a bottle of my Terre D'Hermes cologne that shattered on the floor! Now I've got the nicest smelling garbage of all time.:thumbu:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Tuned in to hear what was going on,surprise surprise Dan Bern fellow,WTF?

I like Melnick but he has become more and more self indulgent as the years go on. Off the top of my head, Dan Bern is the top of that list, Bill Lee is second.

I’ve enjoyed the Aaron Ward segments but they are turning into a bro-fest.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I like Melnick but he has become more and more self indulgent as the years go on. Off the top of my head, Dan Bern is the top of that list, Bill Lee is second.

I’ve enjoyed the Aaron Ward segments but they are turning into a bro-fest.

Who is this Dan Bern anyways? why is he so highly regarded,never heard anything from him that screams a must hear this.:rant:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Marinaro becoming even more obnoxious with his soccer infatuations.

He begins most of his shows with soccer (what else), moves on to a other sports but then, blurts out "let's switch gears" and goes back to soccer again.

He's had multiple appearances on AC lately, as a pundit debating questions with two other guests. On his most recent AC panel, he shows up with two soccer sweaters hanging behind him (one of them was Messi) and when he finishes his rant, he goes the extra mile by raising his arm in some kind of salute that you might see soccer fans get into at games -- comes across as a bigger buffoon that he already is.

Reactions: angusyoung

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I wouldn't say McGuire is an idiot and has zero credibility. He'll get things wrong (ex Price). But he gets a lot right. Ex he said going into the Flyers series that the Candiens have to be carefull not to get behind, as the Flyers have a really good shutdown game. they use their big rangy dmen, have a good forecheck, and Carter Hart can get hit. He pretty much called the series in advance. Another example is he said, in advance of the draft, there are a lot of good prospects from u.s. high schools and ushl that will be available in the 4th and 5th rounds. Is it a coincidence we took 4 such prospects in the 4th and 5th rounds?

As for Tuch, I don't dislike the pick. I'll be very interested to see what he is. I just haven't seen or heard anything that would indicate he can score like Pacioretty.

That is hardly a ground breaking analysis........did he next suggest that the team that scores the most goals will win the game?

McGuire is an absolute idiot who is laughed at behind the scenes.......same for Button.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That is hardly a ground breaking analysis........did he next suggest that the team that scores the most goals will win the game?

McGuire is an absolute idiot who is laughed at behind the scenes.......same for Button.

McGuire was a finalist for the GM job in Montreal. Serge Savard said he had the highest knowledge of the widest range of players accross the NHL, minors, and Juniors.

I can uunderstand not agreeing with most of his takes. But if you think he's an idiot you're totally out to lunch on that take.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
McGuire was a finalist for the GM job in Montreal. Serge Savard said he had the highest knowledge of the widest range of players accross the NHL, minors, and Juniors.

I can uunderstand not agreeing with most of his takes. But if you think he's an idiot you're totally out to lunch on that take.
That's a loaded post. Savard, the same guy who picked MB, who 95% of people hate in here because he's only shown to be clueless up to this offseason (we'll see what the results of that are).

Also, knowledge =/= intelligence.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That's a loaded post. Savard, the same guy who picked MB, who 95% of people hate in here because he's only shown to be clueless up to this offseason (we'll see what the results of that are).

Also, knowledge =/= intelligence.

Do you really think a guy who a 2 time stanley cup winning ex-GM like Savard says is the most knowledgeable of players and who he chooses to be a finalist for the GM job is an idiot? I doubt it. You can disagree with McGuire. But he's not an idiot.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

McGuire is an idiot as I know many people within the game who unanimously think he is a joke.

Savard likely interviewed him out of friendship/pity.......calling him a finalist is borderline hyperbole. I can tell you for a fact that the players think he is a weirdo/creep and he does not have many sources. I guarantee that Savard had zero intention of hiring Pierre, he just gave him a pity interview and some friendly words for the public.

McGuire is passionate about the game and does a lot of his own research but he does not possess any ability to scout hockey players as he doesn't understand skating mechanics and does not understand the game at a high enough level to determine things like IQ/vision/Play away from the puck. He has made too many egregiously incorrect statements over the years that completely remove any hint of credibility from his name. Too many times has he referred to players as great skaters when they are poor skaters and completely misdiagnosed plays on live television.

I know that Pierre isn't in my league or a number of other posters but he has his gig and I wish him the best......I just don't care what he has to say.

Pierre has been around for a long time and still has a few dinosaurs who will tolerate him but he has been exposed to the new generation as a fanboy fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->