TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Countless women would destroy Millbury at hockey on the ice and analysis off of it.

Hope him and every last caveman misogynist gets canned.

Woooo tough guy take it easy.

Who cares. He said something so vanilla yet you people act as if he said all women are good for is the kitchen. Pathetic fanbase

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
See but this just shows you're only thinking about it from your POV.

Believe it or not little cracks and comments like this matter and they add up. If you think we can't go on as a society without assholes like Mibury, if you think that it's a step backwards to remove misogynist content from sports, then I feel sorry for you.

Basically you come across as someone who doesn't want to give any effort in thinking about how others are affected by things like this, and spin it into somehow you're the victim because the PC police took away my fun.

Widen your perspective, work on seeing things from other POVs

He says this as someone who unironically watches and supports the most ethnocentric, nepotistic major sports team in North America

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Now that it's (seemingly long) over. Was looking for the TV ratings on the Canadiens/Flyers series.

I know TVA (Quebec) was averaging a little above 800,000 viewers per game. Found this >

"Take Sunday, Aug. 16: Game 3 of the First Round Stanley Cup series between Montreal and Philadelphia drew an overnight average of 741,000 fans for an 8 pm start on Sportsnet National. Add another 104,000 who watched the game on Sportsnet One and then another 522,000 who chose to view the same game on CBC and the total is 1,377,000 viewers in English Canada who watched the Canadiens play the Flyers."

From > Offside ratings system knocks NHL playoffs to bottom of weekly Top 30 – brioux.tv

I don't know almost anyone who watched the series entirely. It was a shit series with one team who should've never been there

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
He says this as someone who unironically watches and supports the most ethnocentric, nepotistic major sports team in North America
If you can recognize these issues, you know n team is exempt from them. So what exactly is your point? There's literally no way you can accuse me of this without essentially doing he same yourself with another team.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That Subway ad they're running on 690 is super annoyng. They have this woman-child with a high pitched voice that keeps on pronouncing "frash". No, it's not fresh, it's "frash." Sounds like one of those prissy cheerleaders hailing from a gated community in Beverley Hills.

Yeah, so "frash."

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
So I had a listen to the lunchtime show for the first time in awhile, eating a slice of Gorgonzola pizza with a glass of Aperol spritz after a long marketing class.

I love how Sean Campbell wants us to re-sign everyone that's on track to become a UFA. Probably wants every RFA back as well. I'm not the most ambitious guy on the planet, but never before have I heard someone so shamelessly giddy about mediocrity. Good on him.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So I had a listen to the lunchtime show for the first time in awhile, eating a slice of Gorgonzola pizza with a glass of Aperol spritz after a long marketing class.

I love how Sean Campbell wants us to resign everyone that's on track to become a UFA. Probably wants every RFA back as well. I'm not the most ambitious guy on the planet, but never before have I heard someone so shamelessly giddy about mediocrity. Good on him.

Campbell's goal is to not ruffle anyone's feathers. He thinks he'll get a much better job eventually, so he's friendly with everyone.

Campbell, if you like every Hab so much, try a mentorship with Renaud Lavoie, the best bootlicker in the business.

Reactions: DXStriker

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Habs Lunch: Edmundson speaks

It starts at 10:55

And around the 20 minute mark is the famous question and you hear Tony laugh a bit.

And at the 27:37 mark is the gold. Tony can't control himself. Hilarious.

I cued it just before and I heard the person handling the calls announce "the next question is from Eric Angels". Yeah, "Angels".

Edmundson is not particularly articulate, which might only matter if he's trying to communicate something to a teammate on the ice.

Following "Angels" was "Moe Ken", from TSN690. I think TSN wanted to make Edmundson feel comfortable by designating Moe Khan for the question, who is a guy that slurs his speech and can't articulate, which TSN690 feels are appropriate qualities for a broadcaster. And of course, he asked dumb questions.

Khan had the last question and the person handling the calls said "we have no furder questions."

But it wasn't over. She proceeded to transfer the call to the cringeworthy head of Habs PR, Paul Wilson.

Wilson, trying too hard to be funny, said "Well Jewell, huh, again tank you very much for doing dis, huh. I tink it's a, uh, it's a uh, you're made to play in Montreal because you got French side of your family, your dad, your dad's furvite team. Plus, you ate poutine out of the Stanley Cup. So, eh, it's great ..."

Paul Wilson's title? Senior Vice President, Public Affairs and Communications. Emphasis on the word "Communications."

Wilson probably called Edmundson "Jewell" cause Bergevin must have told him that Edmundson is a diamond in the rough.

Between the phone operator, Moe Khan, Edmundson, Paul Wilson and Marinaro tripping over himself laughing like an idiot, I don't think I've ever heard a broadcast involving such an assortment of consecutive language manglers.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I really quite enjoy listening to Ray Ferraro's TSN690 segments. The guy really knows his stuff.

I'm surprised a team hasn't hired him but maybe teams have tried but he prefers doing what he's doing now instead. He's having knee replacement surgery next Thursday and won't be back on until around Oct 9th so hopefully all goes well for him and his knee replacement.

Reactions: Runner77

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I cued it just before and I heard the person handling the calls announce "the next question is from Eric Angels". Yeah, "Angels".

Edmundson is not particularly articulate, which might only matter if he's trying to communicate something to a teammate on the ice.

Following "Angels" was "Moe Ken", from TSN690. I think TSN wanted to make Edmundson feel comfortable by designating Moe Khan for the question, who is a guy that slurs his speech and can't articulate, which TSN690 feels are appropriate qualities for a broadcaster. And of course, he asked dumb questions.

Khan had the last question and the person handling the calls said "we have no furder questions."

But it wasn't over. She proceeded to transfer the call to the cringeworthy head of Habs PR, Paul Wilson.

Wilson, trying too hard to be funny, said "Well Jewell, huh, again tank you very much for doing dis, huh. I tink it's a, uh, it's a uh, you're made to play in Montreal because you got French side of your family, your dad, your dad's furvite team. Plus, you ate poutine out of the Stanley Cup. So, eh, it's great ..."

Paul Wilson's title? Senior Vice President, Public Affairs and Communications. Emphasis on the word "Communications."

Wilson probably called Edmundson "Jewell" cause Bergevin must have told him that Edmundson is a diamond in the rough.

Between the phone operator, Moe Khan, Edmundson, Paul Wilson and Marinaro tripping over himself laughing like an idiot, I don't think I've ever heard a broadcast involving such an assortment of consecutive language manglers.
LOL :laugh:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Tony was just on a huge high from the 2 14" subs he said he ate like kids get like when they eat chocolate or sugar. :)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I really quite enjoy listening to Ray Ferraro's TSN690 segments. The guy really knows his stuff.

I'm surprised a team hasn't hired him but maybe teams have tried but he prefers doing what he's doing now instead. He's having knee replacement surgery next Thursday and won't be back on until around Oct 9th so hopefully all goes well for him and his knee replacement.

At least Ferraro can put together a sentence and not sound like a fool.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

He’s got fairly young kids and likes his life in Vancouver. His wife is a pro scout now for Seattle, so broadcasting is likely a better fit. He has said before that working in management would interest him, but I’m sure he fully knows the grind involved.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
He’s got fairly young kids and likes his life in Vancouver. His wife is a pro scout now for Seattle, so broadcasting is likely a better fit. He has said before that working in management would interest him, but I’m sure he fully knows the grind involved.

I think he would be a great add to any teams management staff. Maybe if the Canucks offered him a position down the road he'd consider taking a shot at it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yup. The guy is very knowledgeable and usually tells it like it really is and you got to respect that. Ferraro and Aaron Ward are my 2 favorite listens on TSN690. Although neither can compete with the dynamic duo of Campbell and Gallo though. :sarcasm:

Ferraro, Ward, McGuire ... all of them effortlessly carrying on conversations on air, whether we like their opinions or not. They can all enunciate and get a message across.

We've had some great ones over the years on English radio in Montreal. Some of them really knew how to get your attention. Ted Tevan was a giant of sports radio, educated, smart, could spin a story like no other. His voice had tonal qualities made just for the medium. A later example would be broadcaster Randy Tieman, who for many years did the sports segment on Montreal's CTV broadcasts. He eventually transitioned to radio on a part time basis and was always fun to listen to, even if he did not have the substance of a Ted Tevan.

The last Montreal English broadcaster to have those kind of qualities is Mitch Melnick, who has inexplicably surrounded himself with idiots.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think he would be a great add to any teams management staff. Maybe if the Canucks offered him a position down the road he'd consider taking a shot at it.

I agree with Tighthead on this -- I don't think Ferraro would be likely to last in a management capacity while having young kids. Plus, a lot of broadcast types tend to hold on to their jobs and not go back to the hockey world -- it's a life of luxury that requires so much less effort and provides much more flexibility than the crazy hours of the hockey world.

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Ferraro, Ward, McGuire ... all of them effortlessly carrying on conversations on air, whether we like their opinions or not. They can all enunciate and get a message across.

We've had some great ones over the years on English radio in Montreal. Some of them really knew how to get your attention. Ted Tevan was a giant of sports radio, educated, smart, could spin a story like no other. His voice had tonal qualities made just for the medium. A later example would be broadcaster Randy Tieman, who for many years did the sports segment on Montreal's CTV broadcasts. He eventually transitioned to radio on a part time basis and was always fun to listen to, even if he did not have the substance of a Ted Tevan.

The last Montreal English broadcaster to have those kind of qualities is Mitch Melnick, who has inexplicably surrounded himself with idiots.

Not familiar with Tony's hero Ted Tevan or Randy Tieman. That was before my time of listening to Montreal sports radio.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I agree with Tighthead on this -- I don't think Ferraro would be likely to last in a management capacity while having young kids. Plus, a lot of broadcast types tend to hold on to their jobs and not go back to the hockey world -- it's a life of luxury that requires so much less effort and provides much more flexibility than the crazy hours of the hockey world.

And that's likely the reason why he hasn't taken a job with a team but I suspect teams have reached out to him in the past to see if he had any interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad