Player Discussion Tryamkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
1 - the canucks do not have a good history under JB of getting good value contracts.
2 - Tryamkin brings more value than his GF/GA etc. He's a big body that will be very valuable in the playoffs. He is durable. Unlike Hughes or EP.
3 - They need to put a l little more effort in making him happy .... many different ways to do that, but I really think he will be a very valuable addition to this team. having the "twin towers" back there will help this team more than just their skill levels.

Minimum I see is 3 x $2.75

Andrew Alberts says hello.

Skill wins, especially these days.

Size is nice with skill, but without, it's just another liability for skilled players to take advantage of. Maybe his game improves practicing with more skilled coaches and team mates, but Tryamkin isn't some major piece rn. He's being quite overrated. His regression in 2018, in the KHL spelled out a lot; he's 26 next month.

2mil show me what you got contract pls

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Andrew Alberts says hello.

Skill wins, especially these days.

Size is nice with skill, but without, it's just another liability for skilled players to take advantage of. Maybe his game improves practicing with more skilled coaches and team mates, but Tryamkin isn't some major piece rn. He's being quite overrated. His regression in 2018, in the KHL spelled out a lot; he's 26 next month.

2mil show me what you got contract pls
Tryamkin replies, "I'm 45 pounds heavier than you, 2 inches taller and more mobile, and no one's claiming I'm a major piece."

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I think he looked better in the NHL than he did in the KHL so maybe there's a chance that he's better suited for small ice. Harder to take the big man wide on the smaller ice

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Tryamkin replies, "I'm 45 pounds heavier than you, 2 inches taller and more mobile, and no one's claiming I'm a major piece."

I've said it before and I'll say it again. He is going to be a major piece in our makeup. I think he is going to be a steady 3 - 4 D man for years. And his size will make him more durable for the long run of the playoffs if we ever get there again. We have cornerstones in Hughes EP and maybe Markstrom. We have solid pieces in Miller Horvat Podkolzin Myers and hopefully Rathbone and Hoglander. The main issue is finding a way to pay everyone.

Last edited:

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I've said it before and I'll say it again. He is going to be a major piece in our makeup. I think he is going to be a steady 3 - 4 D man for years. And his size will make him more durable for the long run of the playoffs if we ever get there again. We have cornerstones in Hughes EP and maybe Markstrom. We have solid pieces in Miller Podkolzin Myers and hopefully Rathbone and Hoglander. The main issue is finding a way to pay everyone.
Okay, one person. I definitely think it's possible, but none of us have been watching enough of him to know. When he was here, I saw a ton of promise. He was sound defensively, made good outlet passes and was easily the strongest player on the ice in every game. If anyone got physical with him he'd just toss them aside.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Granted, all we saw from Tryamkin in Vancouver were minutes as a depth d-man on a terrible hockey team, and coached by guy who clearly didn't like him much.

But thing that excites me most is remembering how effective he was at stopping the cycle in its tracks. Once he gets along the wall with the puck in his feet and starts leaning on the forechecker, the puck movement just stops in its tracks.

A big part of the reason the Canucks were solidly in the back half of defensive teams in the NHL last season was their inability to handle both the forecheck and the cycle. Guys like Stecher, Fantenberg, Edler and even Tanev simply can't win enough puck battles down low.

People extol the virtues of Tanev as one of the league-leaders in shot blocks. But when you think it, leading the league in blocked shots isn't really a very flattering stat. It means you're spending an inordinate amount of time in your own zone just chasing the play.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Granted, all we saw from Tryamkin in Vancouver were minutes as a depth d-man on a terrible hockey team, and coached by guy who clearly didn't like him much.
He should've been given more minutes on that team (as there's no way he was any worse than Pizza Pizza at the time); but thanks our Jim Benning's annointed AHL head coach, the big Russian left. A shame really as it looked like he could really be something for us.

Reactions: Luckylarry

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
He should've been given more minutes on that team (as there's no way he was any worse than Pizza Pizza at the time); but thanks our Jim Benning's annointed AHL head coach, the big Russian left. A shame really as it looked like he could really be something for us.
Agreed, Benning should have fired him years ago.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

But thing that excites me most is remembering how effective he was at stopping the cycle in its tracks. Once he gets along the wall with the puck in his feet and starts leaning on the forechecker, the puck movement just stops in its tracks.

A big part of the reason the Canucks were solidly in the back half of defensive teams in the NHL last season was their inability to handle both the forecheck and the cycle. Guys like Stecher, Fantenberg, Edler and even Tanev simply can't win enough puck battles down low.

People extol the virtues of Tanev as one of the league-leaders in shot blocks. But when you think it, leading the league in blocked shots isn't really a very flattering stat. It means you're spending an inordinate amount of time in your own zone just chasing the play.
There's an endless list of players that got a raw deal from WD ,...especially the rookies (Virtanen,McCann,Baertschi,Goldy) and even some vets (listen to Vrbatas recent interview)..

In a few posts in this thread, you're suggesting that Tryamkin can easily replace Tanev. (as far as hockey IQ, they're not even in the same universe)...Or that he has improved dramatically (the KHL is an inferior league)...You need to pump the brakes on Tryamkin..IMO

Blocking shots is an unflattering stat..?...Tanev usually plays the 'hard' minutes on the Canucks does he not?..on the PK etc...

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I think he looked better in the NHL than he did in the KHL so maybe there's a chance that he's better suited for small ice. Harder to take the big man wide on the smaller ice

Yes, he has an 11 foot poke check radius just standing still. Much more effective in the NHL with a 15 foot narrower rink.

If this guy had Burrows’ compete level and Pettersson’s work ethic he would be a Norris Trophy candidate. It sucks that he is well below average in these metrics.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

"Guys like Stecher, Fantenberg, Edler and even Tanev simply can't win enough puck battles down low."

And yet so many keep listing Juolevi and Rafferty in the top 6. These 2 guys couldn't win those battles in the AHL. Hell, none of the comets were effective in puck battles. That's why they were hemmed in their own so often and the the 2 mentioned here first were prime contributors to the mess.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Then I'm assuming you never watching Tryamkin play. He was miles better than either of those players, analytics support this statement.

Well, I have watched every game that Tryamkin, Fantenberg and Benn have played as Canucks. Quite interested to see those analytics for all three, not that I am doubting you but mainly to have the comparison.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I'm just going to quote the summary from Harman Dayal's detailed assessment of Tryamkin (paywall):

Tryamkin still won’t retrieve pucks and handle forechecking duress well given his puck skills and footwork, meaning he’s very likely to struggle handling and transporting the puck. System effects could be influencing his neutral zone defence results – which is why I didn’t dissect that aspect too critically – but I didn’t see him playing a tight enough gap to force oncoming attackers into dump-ins enough. I like the way he uses his size and strength in 1-on-1 situations where he can use the boards as leverage and his reach is a very useful asset, but poor reads hold him back positionally in his own zone.

All in all, Tryamkin is held back by his puck skills, sluggish footwork and decision-making in all three zones. He’s just not quick enough with his hands, feet and brain to be a top-four NHL defenceman.

Could he a No. 6 or No. 7 defenceman? Sure, that’s what he was three seasons ago when he was with the team. I could see him providing similar value to Jordie Benn and Oscar Fantenberg and I can see why a smaller rink might actually help him defend more aggressively. But it’s also possible based on these viewings that he’s not an NHL calibre defenceman and consistently performs below replacement level.

Either way, my opinion is that there’s a low probability of Tryamkin being a non-negligible upgrade on Benn and Fantenberg. There was once a time when you could have realistically hoped for much more, but given that he turns 26-years-old in August, odds are that he won’t take the steps necessary to be a true impact player. This isn’t to say he’s not worth signing at all, but if the price tag creeps up in the $2.5 million per year range, for example, that’s a risk that a cap crunched team like Vancouver should not be willing to take.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
1 - the canucks do not have a good history under JB of getting good value contracts.
2 - Tryamkin brings more value than his GF/GA etc. He's a big body that will be very valuable in the playoffs. He is durable. Unlike Hughes or EP.
3 - They need to put a l little more effort in making him happy .... many different ways to do that, but I really think he will be a very valuable addition to this team. having the "twin towers" back there will help this team more than just their skill levels.

Minimum I see is 3 x $2.75

1. This is a load of crap, he played one year and low minutes, we have no idea how durable he is from an NHL standpoint.

2. Yes, lets feed into the entitled athletes agenda, he wants to play here, he has to earn it just like everyone else, if he doesn't like that then too bad, stay in Russia.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well, I have watched every game that Tryamkin, Fantenberg and Benn have played as Canucks. Quite interested to see those analytics for all three, not that I am doubting you but mainly to have the comparison.
Have never seen any analytics on Tryamkin, but you can find the analytics for Benn and Fantenberg on Canucks Army. A hint. They're butt ugly.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Looking at Benn and Fantenberg's relative impacts just on NHL.com (both regular SAT% and unblocked SAT% relative to team) over 2018-19 through 2019-20, those 2 guys are pretty firmly in bottom-pairing territory. From looking at the same numbers for Tryamkin I think there's a chance he tops out as a low-end No. 4 guy, but I don't see his puck skills suddenly becoming worlds better. So even if he does play on the 2nd pair one day, he'll probably be very limited in terms of production.

Oh, I hope Harm has watched him play. Analytics apparently say Nikita is heads and shoulders above Benn and Fantenberg but maybe it was body analytics.
What's that? I've never heard of this...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
They just replayed the Vegas-Canucks game last night on Sportsnet from earlier in the season. That was the game the Orcas outlasted the Knights 5-4 on a Tanev OT winner, despite getting badly out-shot and out-chanced most of the night.

The play of the blueline, notably Benn, Fantenberg and Myers, bordered on a tragic-comedy. I mean if Tryamkin isn't an upgrade then the Canucks are in bigger trouble than I imagined, especially if there's no money to re-sign Tanev.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
They just replayed the Vegas-Canucks game last night on Sportsnet from earlier in the season. That was the game the Orcas outlasted the Knights 5-4 on a Tanev OT winner, despite getting badly out-shot and out-chanced most of the night.

The play of the blueline, notably Benn, Fantenberg and Myers, bordered on a tragic-comedy. I mean if Tryamkin isn't an upgrade then the Canucks are in bigger trouble than I imagined, especially if there's no money to re-sign Tanev.

I feel like a lot of people have conveniently forgotten just how bad our overall team defensive system worked, and how awful our defence was when Hughes wasn't on the ice to just carry the puck out of the zone every shift.

After 6 seasons, the D-core is still lacking core long-term pieces and depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad