Player Discussion Tryamkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I feel like a lot of people have conveniently forgotten just how bad our overall team defensive system worked, and how awful our defence was when Hughes wasn't on the ice to just carry the puck out of the zone every shift.

After 6 seasons, the D-core is still lacking core long-term pieces and depth.
Give benning another 6 years, rebuilds take some time.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I feel like a lot of people have conveniently forgotten just how bad our overall team defensive system worked, and how awful our defence was when Hughes wasn't on the ice to just carry the puck out of the zone every shift.

After 6 seasons, the D-core is still lacking core long-term pieces and depth.

Let's face it, the Canucks D have almost always had issues. The older fans are still talking about Reinhart. The best group was during the 2011 Cup run and that was kind of fluked into. Who knew Bieksa could be a shutdown Dman alongside Hamhuis? Had Salo not injured himself in the summer Bieksa was the odd man out. Credit to Gillis for Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, and Tanev, but the best Dmen he drafted were Hutton and Connauton. It's hard to rebuild your D through free agency and trades like the Ehrhoff deal again and again. In terms of long term pieces the best recent pieces were Tanev, Edler, Jovo, and Ohlund.

A big reason some of us want Tryamkin back is because changes need to be made on the blueline. Last year, when we had Edler, Tanev, Hutton, and Stecher in the lineup and playing top 4 minutes the D was bad. Sometimes you do need to make change for the sake of change.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For whatever reason, Sportsnet has had the Canuck games against Detroit and Vegas last season on the replay loop. And if they come up again and you're anywhere near the telly, focus on the blueline. At times it was frightfully bad and almost comical.

Markstrom was basically the only thing between the Canucks and disaster. The blueline was basically shredded, giving up both possession and glorious chances all night long. It was only when Hughes was on the ice that things stabilized.

Obviously Green and Benning must be looking at the same game-tape. Why the Canucks spent so much money on depth forwards while failing to shore up the defense corps is a mystery to me.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
For whatever reason, Sportsnet has had the Canuck games against Detroit and Vegas last season on the replay loop. And if they come up again and you're anywhere near the telly, focus on the blueline. At times it was frightfully bad and almost comical.

Markstrom was basically the only thing between the Canucks and disaster. The blueline was basically shredded, giving up both possession and glorious chances all night long. It was only when Hughes was on the ice that things stabilized.

Obviously Green and Benning must be looking at the same game-tape. Why the Canucks spent so much money on depth forwards while failing to shore up the defense corps is a mystery to me.

Because they spent all of their D money on Meyers, Fantenberg and Benn. Meyers is seriously overpaid (though his durability and size will help in the grind of the playoffs) and F and B borderline 6 - 7 D men. I really like them, seem like great guys, but ....

In simple words they tried. And didn't do a great job. Add Rathbone and Tryamkin and next year we will be ok methinks. In the wings Rafferty Woo and Juolevi. Hopefully one of them will be a 3 - 4 in a couple of years.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Because they spent all of their D money on Meyers, Fantenberg and Benn. Meyers is seriously overpaid (though his durability and size will help in the grind of the playoffs) and F and B borderline 6 - 7 D men. I really like them, seem like great guys, but ....
Benning made a real good move in unloading No-Good-Bran-Son for a player that actually is useful. Though I'd imagine if we still had No-Good-Bran-Son on the roster, Benning wouldn't have offered Myers that monster contract. Though at least Myers DOES play a servicable game as a #4. No-Good-Bran-Son has to be carried by his partner *on the 3rd pairing*.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Let's face it, the Canucks D have almost always had issues. The older fans are still talking about Reinhart. The best group was during the 2011 Cup run and that was kind of fluked into. Who knew Bieksa could be a shutdown Dman alongside Hamhuis? Had Salo not injured himself in the summer Bieksa was the odd man out. Credit to Gillis for Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, and Tanev, but the best Dmen he drafted were Hutton and Connauton. It's hard to rebuild your D through free agency and trades like the Ehrhoff deal again and again. In terms of long term pieces the best recent pieces were Tanev, Edler, Jovo, and Ohlund.

A big reason some of us want Tryamkin back is because changes need to be made on the blueline. Last year, when we had Edler, Tanev, Hutton, and Stecher in the lineup and playing top 4 minutes the D was bad. Sometimes you do need to make change for the sake of change.
The signature moves for Gillis were getting Dan Hamhuis to leave Nashville to sign with the Canucks (and that was because Hamhuis wanted to come home)..So was that astute planning by Gillis, or an accident of geography,..?...Also,.. acquiring Ehrhoff in a 2009 salary dump by the Sharks (and after two seasons, Gillis dumped him for salary cap reasons of his own.)

Benning has definitely had a few whiffs on acquiring D..Gudbranson and the development of Olli Juolevi quickly come to mind..Fortunately, most of them were placeholders on short term deals..Aquiring impact top 4 D through trade comes at a steep price....Its taken awhile, but going forward, it would be cool to see a Vancouver D that was predominantly drafted and developed by the Canucks.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Benning made a real good move in unloading No-Good-Bran-Son for a player that actually is useful. Though I'd imagine if we still had No-Good-Bran-Son on the roster, Benning wouldn't have offered Myers that monster contract. Though at least Myers DOES play a servicable game as a #4. No-Good-Bran-Son has to be carried by his partner *on the 3rd pairing*.
Remember when we traded Vaive and Derlago, two top picks, for Williams and Butler? It’s like we don’t learn from our mistakes.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Remember when we traded Vaive and Derlago, two top picks, for Williams and Butler? It’s like we don’t learn from our mistakes.
Williams led the team by example for about two seasons unlike No-Good-Bran-Son (who may have had the odd good game or two). Heck, we got more good games out of Jerry "The Shadow" Butler as a Canuck than No-Good-Bran-son. Guy shutdown Marcel Dionne & Wayne Gretzky for a game during that "home stretch" drive in the regular season. But yeah, we paid for it big time in the long-run dealing Vaive & Derlago.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Williams led the team by example for about two seasons unlike No-Good-Bran-Son (who may have had the odd good game or two). Heck, we got more good games out of Jerry "The Shadow" Butler as a Canuck than No-Good-Bran-son. Guy shutdown Marcel Dionne & Wayne Gretzky for a game during that "home stretch" drive in the regular seasons. But yeah, we paid for it big time in the long-run dealing Vaive & Derlago.
Loved Tiger here. THe point is we have to stop trading top prospects for average players. He’ll just stop trading top prospects period. And Guddy was terrible.
Is Benning targeting Risto?

Reactions: Hit the post

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Honestly believe Trymakin could've been a top 4 guy if Willie and the Canucks didn't botch his development but now he's lost too many development years and has even regressed in the khl that I can't see anything more than a fringe bottom pairing guy. Wouldn't have been worth the price especially considering the teams cap problems.

SixtyFour

Aug 7, 2015
well crap. wanted him here. Assuming this is accurate, wonder what sort of deal he got. Thought he would get more money in vancouver ... We sure could have used a big body ....

I wouldn't worry to much. Money isn't first thing for him, especially when he gets decent money in KHL. Rather be happy to see guys like Rafferty, Rathbone in lineup (or who knows maybe Juolevi finally can make step forward).

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Welp. That's too bad. Victim of bad cap management. Would have been nice to have him in the bottom 4. We could use all the help we can get.

Guess we couldn't offer much more than Stecher money and it wasn't enough without term.

Reactions: geebaan

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Tryamkin was in a tough spot. Signing just a 1 year deal means he likely still has an eye on returning to Vancouver, once things calm down.

Don’t think he made much sense for the Canucks to sign at this time. Would rather use that money towards bringing Tanev back, while the team could likely see both Rathbone and Rafferty on the roster to start the year. Can only have so many inexperienced guys at one time.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Was hoping he'd accept a 3rd pairing or even 7th / 8th defenceman role as I would've liked to see Rafferty, Rathbone, Tryamkin and even Juolevi play a few games at various points to see what sort of potential they actually have. That being said I don't really view this as much of a loss, from what I've read and heard his play has gone downhill since he last played for us.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
fantastic news, he's a waste of time and not a particularly good hockey player, trade his rights for whatever we can get

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Listened to his agent and cant say I blame him. Too much uncertainty and the KHL starting soon he had to make the decision quick.

Reactions: Sneezy

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Tryamkin was in a tough spot. Signing just a 1 year deal means he likely still has an eye on returning to Vancouver, once things calm down.

Don’t think he made much sense for the Canucks to sign at this time. Would rather use that money towards bringing Tanev back, while the team could likely see both Rathbone and Rafferty on the roster to start the year. Can only have so many inexperienced guys at one time.
KHL shut down their 19-20 season. They plan on starting training camp in August. NHL is not going to be up and running for 20-21 until sometime in January and doing a 50 game schedule. So, he would be looking at a prorated salary of around 65% of whatever he was to sign for, plus losing 20% of that to Escrow. So, he would end up somewhere around 52% of his salary before taxes. So, he take home pay ends up at what like 30% of his salary at that point? If that's the case, what is his contract in the KHL for and how comparable is that.

So, not a real surprise for him. He's really in that odd spot given his age and ability of not being a for sure top 4 Dman in the NHL So, does it make sense for him to come over? Plus with Covid, that has thrown the entire 20-21 season out of whack. For him, made sense to remain in the KHL.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Was hoping he'd accept a 3rd pairing or even 7th / 8th defenceman role as I would've liked to see Rafferty, Rathbone, Tryamkin and even Juolevi play a few games at various points to see what sort of potential they actually have. That being said I don't really view this as much of a loss, from what I've read and heard his play has gone downhill since he last played for us.
One of the risks in drafting Russian players who aren’t ‘NHL player locks’. Remember Koltsov? He was still work the risk drafting given the pick used wasn’t that high. Would make such a gamble at drafting a similar player at that general draft position in the future. Hopefully management won’t **** up the handling next time (eg., no more hiring career AHL head coaches to be the head coach of your parent club..much less give him three FULL seasons).

Reactions: timw33
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad