Player Discussion Tryamkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
He has a KHL contract that expires at the end of this season. Maybe he'll come back to the NHL in 2020-21, and maybe he won't.

He was a good third pairing defenceman during his time here who was a lot of fun to watch when he used his skating and strength.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Under contract until the end of this year.

He has said he isn't opposed to coming back for the Canucks.

There isn't really a ton to say more than that.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Could be back before the season's out this spring!

That's my hope/expectation... unless his team goes on a playoff run of 2 or 3 rounds...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
On his recent 'interview tour' on Vancouver Sports Talk Shows, Jimbo expressed his desire and optimism to re-sign Tryamkin when he's done in the KHL. His agent has basically confirmed he'd be interested in coming back. Obviously money talks. And the NHL is the place to be.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the public posturing , but I'd say there's even a chance he could be in VanCity before the end of the season. The KHL season ends in March.

At this point, even if Trymakin projects as a 'third-pairing' d-man he'd still be a big upgrade

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
As has been noted, Tryamkin's agent has indicated interest in coming back to the NHL, but never interest in coming back to Vancouver. Also our cap space for 20-21 is a major issue.

Will be interesting to see what happens. I suspect his agent is pushing behind the scenes to get his rights traded to a bigger US city with a larger Russian population.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Could be back before the season's out this spring!

That's my hope/expectation... unless his team goes on a playoff run of 2 or 3 rounds...
I don't think it's possible for him to return this spring. He's currently a RFA, and the RFA signing deadline is December 1st.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
With what cap space do we sign him this year? Would have to get rid of Tanev this summer to fit him in next year which would leave one defender on the team that can match up against top lines.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
As has been noted, Tryamkin's agent has indicated interest in coming back to the NHL, but never interest in coming back to Vancouver. Also our cap space for 20-21 is a major issue.

Will be interesting to see what happens. I suspect his agent is pushing behind the scenes to get his rights traded to a bigger US city with a larger Russian population.

Has his agent said something more recently than his June 6th comment that: “playing next to a guy like Quinn Hughes would be a really good spot for [Tryamkin] to be in.”- What could the Vancouver Canucks be getting (back) in Nikita Tryamkin?

That's the last quote I'm aware of, unless there's something more recent it sounds like there is at least some interest in playing in Vancouver.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I don't think it's possible for him to return this spring. He's currently a RFA, and the RFA signing deadline is December 1st.

I don't think that applies since he would be returning to his own team after his contract expires overseas.. (Like Gusev and the Golden Knights last yr?)

Unlike say when O'Reilly signed with the flames outta Europe and would have been subject to waivers for CGY... but not to Col who originally owned his rights and matched.
Or unlike how a FA that signs after playing games in Europe is subject to waivers upon signing in the NHL the same yr....

Could be wrong tho.

Edit: also due to cap as mentioned above... the best we could probably hope for is s igning after his season ends for the following yr.. as opposed to playing at the end of this season - if he was even eligible to do so.

Last edited:

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Can’t Tryamkins rights be traded along with Erickson as an incentive to take on Erickson’s contract?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So his agent is hinting that Tryamkin would be a perfect guy to pair with Quinn Hughes? Now that would be something to see. Tryamkin using his size and reach to kill the cycle along the wall, and then moving the puck to Hughes who is described as a "one-man breakout machine'.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I don't think that applies since he would be returning to his own team after his contract expires overseas.. (Like Gusev and the Golden Knights last yr?)

Unlike say when O'Reilly signed with the flames outta Europe and would have been subject to waivers for CGY... but not to Col who originally owned his rights and matched.
Or unlike how a FA that signs after playing games in Europe is subject to waivers upon signing in the NHL the same yr....

Could be wrong tho.

Edit: also due to cap as mentioned above... the best we could probably hope for is s igning after his season ends for the following yr.. as opposed to playing at the end of this season - if he was even eligible to do so.
Gusev wasn't a RFA, Vegas held his unsigned draft pick rights. Unsigned draft picks aren't subject to the same deadline. Short explanation from Capfriendly -

Restricted Free Agents who do not sign contracts by December 1 of a given year will be ineligible to play within the league for the remainder of that season.

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The December 1st deadline played a large part in the Nylander - Leafs drama last year.

Maple Leafs, Nylander 'close' with one week to go in negotiations - Sportsnet.ca

Clock is ticking on Maple Leafs-William Nylander contract standoff | The Star

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Gusev wasn't a RFA, Vegas held his unsigned draft pick rights. Unsigned draft picks aren't subject to the same deadline. Short explanation from Capfriendly -

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The December 1st deadline played a large part in the Nylander - Leafs drama last year.

Maple Leafs, Nylander 'close' with one week to go in negotiations - Sportsnet.ca

Clock is ticking on Maple Leafs-William Nylander contract standoff | The Star

Thanks....

So basically we won't be seeing any contract immediately after his season ends...

There is no real pressure point for signing in any sort of hurry.
Benning will probably want an answer by the draft on whether they want to talk numbers.

Pretty much fully dependant on whether or not he's ready and wants to come back to the NHL.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
NT in my mind never did perform as well as the hype train made him out to be. I don't think the KHL offered much of a learning ground for him.

So I could really go either way on this.

Bring him back but do it cheaply.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jimbo seems enamored with big, mobile d-men after watching the Blues hoist the Stanley Cup this spring. One of the reasons he signed Myers. If the Canucks are a playoff team or close to it in March, and Tryamkin's KHL season is over, I could see him being signed and brought over as potential playoff depth.

Who knows, if the Canucks know they're getting him then they could trade a d-man at the deadline (Tanev is on an expiring contract) and get some more help up front or maybe acquire more picks.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Jimbo seems enamored with big, mobile d-men after watching the Blues hoist the Stanley Cup this spring. One of the reasons he signed Myers. If the Canucks are a playoff team or close to it in March, and Tryamkin's KHL season is over, I could see him being signed and brought over as potential playoff depth.

Who knows, if the Canucks know they're getting him then they could trade a d-man at the deadline (Tanev is on an expiring contract) and get some more help up front or maybe acquire more picks.

If the Canucks are in the position to make the playoffs then Tanev ain’t going anywhere

In fact I have concerns about adding at the deadline but we will save that for another date

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I think you missed Tryamkin's agents interviews.

Tryamkin's agent hasn't been cryptic. He's been talking about Tryamkin's interest in returning in the context of returning to the Canucks.

Reactions: DL44

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

The conversation seems to suggest he's ineligible to join the team this yr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad