Player Discussion Tryamkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
For those that want Tanev back.... what type of deal are you offering him to stay?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
For those that want Tanev back.... what type of deal are you offering him to stay?
Having Tanev back would be ideal. But we have no cap room. So he’s going to have to take less than he’s currently getting to stay.
Tanev at 4.5 or Stecher, Rafferty, and (perhaps?) Tryamkin together for 3.5 to 5.5
Could we afford Tanev at 4.5 if we have Tryamkin at 2, Rafferty at 1, and Rathbone at 1?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Having Tanev back would be ideal. But we have no cap room. So he’s going to have to take less than he’s currently getting to stay.
Tanev at 4.5 or Stecher, Rafferty, and (perhaps?) Tryamkin together for 3.5 to 5.5
Could we afford Tanev at 4.5 if we have Tryamkin at 2, Rafferty at 1, and Rathbone at 1?
We can afford Tanev. But you will have to pick 2 of the 3 big UFAs with Tryamkin at 2.3

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Really you think it will be bad? Why and what should we do? I'm curious about the negativity

I am going by second hand information here as I obviously have barely seen him play in the KHL. However, there are several reports from those who have watched him that he hasnt really improved after his first season over there. His first season back in the KHL was quite promising but it does seem he has regressed quite a bit since. Considering he was barely a bottom pairing defender when I left, I am dont see how he would look any better now. Dont get me wrong, I would love if he was as much improved, the Canucks could use that and it would be fun to watch but if he is only slightly better than when he left I would be scared if to have him on the payroll for multiple years at 2.5+m - a contract that many here suggest. It could turn out to be another Benn-like contract on the books.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Listening to Tryamkin's agent Todd Diamond on TSN 1040, and reading between the lines, sounds to me like that the Canucks have been talking recently and reached some sort of agreement or understanding. Both sides just waiting until the NHL-NHLPA concludes an agreement and the salary cap is set for the next two or three seasons.

No matter what kind of an NHL d-man Tryamkin becomes, it's hardly climbing out on a flimsy limb to predict that he'll be light years better in a depth role than guys like Fantenberg or Benn.....and certainly a big upgrade over the Utica bubble players who comprise the rest of the blueline depth chart.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
No matter what kind of an NHL d-man Tryamkin becomes, it's hardly climbing out on a flimsy limb to predict that he'll be light years better in a depth role than guys like Fantenberg or Benn.....and certainly a big upgrade over the Utica bubble players who comprise the rest of the blueline depth chart.

Why are you so sure about it? Have you seen him play in the KHL? What he did 3 years ago was certainly not light years better than Benn and Fantenberg this season.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I know I'll get flamed for suggesting it, but if comes down to a choice of signing Tryamkin at somewhere around $2.5m a season versus Tanev at anywhere from $5.5m to $6.5m, I'd go for the big Russian.

He doesn't bring much offense to the table, but then neither does Tanev. But Tryamkin is five years younger, and I doubt that he'll ever be as injury-prone.

Tryamkin can play either side and in terms of puck battles in his zone, it sometimes looks like opposing forwards are hitting a cement truck.

So in terms of performance, are they worse off with Tryamkin instead of Tanev going forward? Possibly. But not enough to justify a $3m-$4m difference in cap space.

I guess that happens once the new CBA is ratified. Tryamkin at 2.5 million for a two year term? Too bad Benning signed Benn to two years. That cap dollar could go directly to Tryamkin.

Even 2.5 is bad value, and with a flat cap the next few seasons is pretty much immediately a bad contract. Anything over 2 years or 2m isn't a great idea.

I have no idea what the numbers will be but I'm expecting a bigger number than is seemingly warranted.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Even 2.5 is bad value, and with a flat cap the next few seasons is pretty much immediately a bad contract. Anything over 2 years or 2m isn't a great idea.

I have no idea what the numbers will be but I'm expecting a bigger number than is seemingly warranted.

I'm hoping for ~1.5mil over 2 years, but if Dhaliwal is right he'll get ~2mil

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Why are you so sure about it? Have you seen him play in the KHL? What he did 3 years ago was certainly not light years better than Benn and Fantenberg this season.
Baffled by this. It's not just me saying they were bad.....Canucks Army delved into their analytics and zone time. Canucks were crushed whenever Benn and Fantenberg were out there. And the Fantenberg-Myers pairing was one of the worst as Benning's $6m d-man Myers was basically dragged down trying to anchor that pairing.

These two 'depth' d-men tied up close to $3m under the cap, and they're stuck with Benn for another season.

So yes, Tryamkin is clearly a better option than either guy both in performance and cap-wise.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Baffled by this. It's not just me saying they were bad.....Canucks Army delved into their analytics and zone time. Canucks were crushed whenever Benn and Fantenberg were out there. And the Fantenberg-Myers pairing was one of the worst as Benning's $6m d-man Myers was basically dragged down trying to anchor that pairing.

These two 'depth' d-men tied up close to $3m under the cap, and they're stuck with Benn for another season.

So yes, Tryamkin is clearly a better option than either guy both in performance and cap-wise.

I didnt say they weren't bad, just that Tryamkin may not be better.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Really hope they come to a deal. Looking at one of his recent highlight videos, his skating and size really stands out. He covers a lot of ice, gets involved in all 3 zones, and looks like he knows other players will just bounce off of him if they get in his way.

His puck skills are average at best. He won't be sniping wicked goals and he won't be making Pettersson-like passes. He'll just keep things simple: use positioning and a long reach on the defensive end, while jumping up to pressure the neutral zone hard and cause turnovers. He won't produce much offense, but he'll be strong in his own end, be hard to play against, and will collect the odd point through generic plays and by causing turnovers that lead to goals. Has potential to be a strong possession player.

In a vacuum, I would say he doesn't have the puck skills of a top 4 dman, but the skills he does possess are the right ones to go with his size/strength. I think he could play effectively in the top 4, as long as he's not relied upon to produce offense. Kind of like how Tanev is a top 4 dman despite having a muffin shot and next to no offensive game.

Count me among those excited to see him come back, and to see where his game is at now.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Edler, Hughes, Myers, Tanev, Tryamkin.... who takes the 6th spot for next season? Benn?

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
Maybe, but things like his wife not liking Vancouver and wanting to be closer to family and friends in Russia are probably still true. Then there's a handful of other minor issues that might add up, like him not liking our couching staff (it has changed since he left, but it might have left a bad impression on him regarding the organization) and showing him videos of Pronger (expecting him to play the same way), his limited ice time (which won't change if he re-signs, he's still likely a bottom pairing dman), and him complaining about everything smelling like weed (dumb, but maybe it's a cultural thing where cannabis is seen as immoral).

Based on the issues he reported the last time around, I don't see how the majority of them will change if he re-signs. My guess is he just wants to get his foot back into the NHL to further his career, eventually with a different team.

I think the wife stuff can be chalked up to age, they were pretty young to be here on their own, it might just be Nik and spouse needed to grow up a little and realize how good of an opportunity this is for their lives. A 3 year deal and they're set for life in Russia.

I have a hard time not agreeing with his dislike of Willie D. He's a nice man (I actually met him once in the Olympic Village) but he was far out of his skill set here. It sounds like Nik already likes Greens approach.

So I do think there's reason to think a lot has changed, but we'll see. We're taking about a 5/6 d man here so either way its not a huge issue, just a 'nice to have' if it doesn't work out. He also might be good for a trade, there has to be another GM that would love to give him a shot if he really can't stand it in Vancouver.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Edler, Hughes, Myers, Tanev, Tryamkin.... who takes the 6th spot for next season? Benn?[/QUO!

Maybe, but Rafferty and Juiolevi are under 1 million against the cap players. Really too bad Benning signed Benn to that second year.

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
Signing Tryamkin means Tanev is gone.

Tanev is likely gone regardless, but this would confirm it.

depends if Tanman wants a short term raise or wants a 5 year deal to close out his career. If he's willing to go 4 mil x 5 years and not require a NTC or Seattle protection then he and Nik could both fit on the roster.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I think the wife stuff can be chalked up to age, they were pretty young to be here on their own, it might just be Nik and spouse needed to grow up a little and realize how good of an opportunity this is for their lives. A 3 year deal and they're set for life in Russia.

I have a hard time agreeing with his dislike of Willie D. He's a nice man (I actually met him once in the Olympic Village) but he was far out of his skill set here. It sounds like Nik already likes Greens approach.

So I do think there's reason to think a lot has changed, but we'll see. We're taking about a 5/6 d man here so either way its not a huge issue, just a 'nice to have' if it doesn't work out. He also might be good for a trade, there has to be another GM that would love to give him a shot if he really can't stand it in Vancouver.

Yeah, agreed. It makes sense from a career point of view to sign with the Canucks and establish himself as an NHLer again. Hopefully things go better for him if he ends up re-signing.

I don't disagree with Willie D being a nice guy, but everything about his NHL coaching career indicates that he doesn't like Russian players. We saw it with Goldobin (benched after his 1st goal as a Canuck) and again with Kovalchuk (4th line minutes, even though he had the most points on the team). And if I recall correctly, it was reported that Tryamkin complained about the coaching staff here. So every single Russian that has played under Willie D as a regular has had bad experiences, seems like more than just a coincidence to me.

Reactions: Bob Long

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
Yeah, agreed. It makes sense from a career point of view to sign with the Canucks and establish himself as an NHLer again. Hopefully things go better for him if he ends up re-signing.

I don't disagree with Willie D being a nice guy, but everything about his NHL coaching career indicates that he doesn't like Russian players. We saw it with Goldobin (benched after his 1st goal as a Canuck) and again with Kovalchuk (4th line minutes, even though he had the most points on the team). And if I recall correctly, it was reported that Tryamkin complained about the coaching staff here. So every single Russian that has played under Willie D as a regular has had bad experiences, seems like more than just a coincidence to me.

Hopefully its not a thing with Green as well. I'm pretty stoked about Podkolzin and would hate to see that get messed up.

Anyway with Nik's agent being so public about a signing my guess is the terms are worked out already, they're just waiting on the CBA vote.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tryamkin started his Canucks career being body shamed by the doofus coach, who claimed he was 'out of shape'. Then Linden, Benning, Willie or somebody in the front office tried to send him to Utica, which was a clear violation of the contract he signed with the Canucks.

Even when he did get on the ice, he basically got 6th-7th d-man minutes on a terrible hockey team. And apparently nobody was willing or even tried to tell him 'why'?

He was facing a serious language barrier; and his new wife was trying to adjust to the same culture-shock and clearly didn't like it here. With the Canucks coaching situation in a state of limbo; and a team that was awful on ice with very few prospects for improvement; it's little wonder he headed back to the KHL.

But the situation today is already 'night and day' different. Apparently Green has already had discussions with Tryamkin, letting him know where he would fit in on the revised blueline. And with Podkolzin enroute eventually, the Canucks will need more Russian players as mentors.

So I really don't see what happened three years as having relevance to what you can expect today, if he does end up signing here.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
1 - the canucks do not have a good history under JB of getting good value contracts.
2 - Tryamkin brings more value than his GF/GA etc. He's a big body that will be very valuable in the playoffs. He is durable. Unlike Hughes or EP.
3 - They need to put a l little more effort in making him happy .... many different ways to do that, but I really think he will be a very valuable addition to this team. having the "twin towers" back there will help this team more than just their skill levels.

Minimum I see is 3 x $2.75

Reactions: Luckylarry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad