Player Discussion Tryamkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
He is not just tall, he's a physical beast. We saw what happened when players tried to engage him. He basically swatted away some pretty tough characters. I don't understand how fans can ignore that the playoffs are a grind. I think the Canucks would have won in 2011 if they didn't have the shit beaten out of them. Now our hope lies on 2 exceptionly skilled light weights. You think they are going to survive the play ins with Minn, and then the next 4 rounds. Great that we have a ton of overpaid meat and potato guys, but I don't see any of them as the guy who is going to punish an asshole for a cheap shot.
Nik is big, has a temper and is more than willing to f*** you up.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
You can talk about Covid or Benning's other signings that caused Tryamkin to not come over, but the only mistake you need to tie to this is signing Benn for 2 years instead of 1. It was incredibly obvious at the time that they didn't need to sign a fringe bottom-pairing guy for 2 years when you had a few young guys including Tryamkin potentially in the mix for 2020-21.

More short-sighted work by the management group tacking the extra year onto Benn to ensure they got him. Tryamkin offers the same things as Benn (6th/7th guy, can play either side) and not giving the team the flexibility to sign a similar player with more potential is a mistake. It's a minor mistake as I don't think Tryamkin is anything special, but just another example of the small mistakes adding up.
Or it's possible Benn and other D like him weren't willing to accept a 1 year deal, which would have left us even shorter on the back end in terms of NHL level d-men.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Or it's possible Benn and other D like him weren't willing to accept a 1 year deal, which would have left us even shorter on the back end in terms of NHL level d-men.

They signed Fantenberg who was better than him this year to a 1yr deal. Lots of other similar depth players signed 1 year deals. If Benn wanted 2 years, you sign someone else.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Offer Luke Schenn a two year deal for just the amount you can bury completely in the minors if need be (I think he eventually signed for less than that for the Bolts - so factor in more taxes here, it would've been about the same I guess). Half the cost of Benn; plus you already know he fits in with team chemistry (eg., Hughes).

Means you have about another million to throw at Toffoli.

Reactions: I am toxic

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Offer Luke Schenn a two year deal for just the amount you can bury completely in the minors if need be (I think he eventually signed for less than that for the Bolts - so factor in more taxes here, it would've been about the same I guess). Half the cost of Benn; plus you already know he fits in with team chemistry (eg., Hughes).

Means you have about another million to throw at Toffoli.
Benn is a significantly better NHL defenceman than Luke Schenn right now. Schenn has spent time in th AHL in each of the last two years. He might not be a viable NHL defenceman any more, even in a depth role.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Benn is a significantly better NHL defenceman than Luke Schenn right now. Schenn has spent time in th AHL in each of the last two years. He might not be a viable NHL defenceman any more, even in a depth role.
Not based on how each last played for the Vancouver Canucks imho. Benn was outplayed by a career AHLer in Fanta.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
They signed Fantenberg who was better than him this year to a 1yr deal. Lots of other similar depth players signed 1 year deals. If Benn wanted 2 years, you sign someone else.
You're right, the reason Benning didn't do something you think he should have is because he wasn't smart enough to think of it, not that it's possible there were other factors that we are not aware of preventing him.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not based on how each last played for the Vancouver Canucks imho. Benn was outplayed by a career AHLer in Fanta.
And considering their cap costs. Schenn cost 1/3 that of Benn. Way better to have Schenn than Benn.
Wasn’t why Schenn left because he wanted a second year on a new contract? Pay him league minimum over 2 years. Then, if he gets passed by a younger guy, he can go to the minors with no effect on the team’s cap. It was just crazy to let Schenn walk, and pay Benn 2x2. Now we are suffering that extra year with Benn, and can only bury half his cap. Stupid cap management.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
You're right, the reason Benning didn't do something you think he should have is because he wasn't smart enough to think of it, not that it's possible there were other factors that we are not aware of preventing him.
I for one, am not going to rake Benning over the coals on choosing Benn over Fanta (as the later hadn't done anything for the Canucks/parent club prior to that point). Obviously I feel different on the decision of Benn over Schenn.

But back to the Russian; or instead of Toffoli; that's another million available they could've offered the big Russian had the went with the former Laff.

Reactions: m9

PenderB

Jun 9, 2019
With the khl starting early and the nhl starting much later isn’t there an option for Nikita to join the Canucks for the last half of the year. If so then maybe Pods too

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Mark Giordano left Calgary for Europe and returned around that age. The book will never be closed while we still hold the rights.

Almost 25 vs almost 27 may seem similar, but the chances of Giordano returning to the Flames as a Canadian who spent one year in Europe, then came back to the NHL at the age of 24 (about to be 25) in an era where a player reached unrestricted free agency at the age of 28 vs. the chances of the Canucks getting back a Russian who spent one very unhappy full season in Vancouver and then returned to Europe for four seasons when he might return to the NHL at the age of 26 (about to be 27) in an era where the age for unrestricted free agency is 27 are very, very different.

None of us really know if Tryamkin will fit in with the Canucks or what his level of play might be. I was higher than some on his talent level when he was here but his last two KHL seasons are great reasons for pessimism. In any event, I don't think the chances of him returning to Vancouver are very high. It would be easy to imagine him deciding to see what his choices might be in 2022, or he and the Canucks agreeing on a one year deal a year from now so that the team could see where he fits in, then him leaving as an UFA the following summer.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
From all reports, Tryamkin took a personal hit in the pocketbook by signing an agreement with his KHL club team when a contract for a much higher number was on the table back in April.

I have no idea what it is between the Canucks with this player. They kept him dangling for almost three months, eventually forcing him to re-sign with his club team for much smaller contract.

I hope if they're serious about trying again next April when his KHL contract expires again, that they take into account the financial scalping he took after waiting patiently and vainly for the Canucks to make a decision this spring.

I wouldn't blame Tryamkin and his agent for being serious peed-off again. Maybe the best decision is to just trade his rights and give him a fresh start with another NHL organization.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
From all reports, Tryamkin took a personal hit in the pocketbook by signing an agreement with his KHL club team when a contract for a much higher number was on the table back in April.

I have no idea what it is between the Canucks with this player. They kept him dangling for almost three months, eventually forcing him to re-sign with his club team for much smaller contract.

I hope if they're serious about trying again next April when his KHL contract expires again, that they take into account the financial scalping he took after waiting patiently and vainly for the Canucks to make a decision this spring.

I wouldn't blame Tryamkin and his agent for being serious peed-off again. Maybe the best decision is to just trade his rights and give him a fresh start with another NHL organization.

2 obvious points-

Turnabout is fair play. You leave your team and teammates behind, maybe they aren’t so quick to bend over backwards to have you back.

There are virtually no NHL contracts being signed in this climate. Pretty much every team in the league is going to wait to lock into money, which is the smart play.

Nikita made his bed. He can live with the consequences.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
2 obvious points-

Turnabout is fair play. You leave your team and teammates behind, maybe they aren’t so quick to bend over backwards to have you back.

There are virtually no NHL contracts being signed in this climate. Pretty much every team in the league is going to wait to lock into money, which is the smart play.

it is a good point that this snub by the team somehow evens things up.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012

Big Tryamkin fan here
Totally agree with you here
Benning pissed around with his cap so much
and had no wiggle room.......probably was hoping Tree would sign for less
with no where to go...........IMO, he would have helped!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
2 obvious points-

Basically revisionist history here. Tryamkin was a restricted free agent and free to sign with any team in the KHL, once his contract with the Canucks was up. And besides, that 2016-17 version of the Canucks was so bad, most of his teammates, the entire coaching staff and eventually the team president followed him out the door anyway. So nobody was left with even an inkling of why Tryamkin left in the first place.

And following this ridiculous theory through to its 'illogical conclusion'....the reason the Canucks kept Tryamkin dangling for three months this spring was some sort of 'payback' for his decision to bolt to the KHL three seasons ago. Seriously?

If this is the way Benning and company actually negotiate with players, then then belong in the ECHL not the NHL.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Do we have any idea what roughly what is salary going to be then what it is now. I hope he makes it back here but Canucks rep kind of handcuffed by the Covid situation and their ridiculous cap situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad