Player Discussion Tryamkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'm basing this on the 8-minute video posted above, so caveats with small sample: His lateral edge work is solid and after a lumbering first stride, he has decent top speed. Can't say the same for his backwards skating. Much rougher, less controlled, poor acceleration. That and he pitches forward to wave at the puck with his long stick as his go-to move against an oncoming rush. Contrast that with another big man in Edler who does it much better. Or better yet, contrast that with how Quinn Hughes backs in to defend against the rush. Both of them use their skating to force forwards outside and angle them away from passing and shooting lanes.
Tryamkin’s best quality, other than his freakish size and strength, is actually his skating. For such a heavy guy he has incredibly strong ankles, which all fir him to be a fabulous skater. Next to Hughes, Tryamkin would be our next best skating D man. (Considering Tanev is likely gone) he turns way better than Eddy,
Benn, and Myers. He has explosive turns, with exceptional crossover strides. He’s huge, so he appears to be moving slower than a little guy.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hockey Replay on Sportsnet last night, had the Sedins final home again against the Coyotes at the tail end of the 2017-18 season. Although the game was all about Henrik and Daniel, you couldn't help being stuck by one thing.

My God, this was a bad hockey team!. Guys like Del Zotto, Hutton, Biega and Pouliot in key roles on the blueline. And Sam Gagner playing as a Sedin winger; and guys like Granlund, Leipsic, Archibald and Goldy up front.

And the last year Tryamkin was here and in Willie's last season, the 2016-17 season team might have actually been worse. Seems to me he ended up being paired with guys like Gudbranson and Biega or Stecher, who was another raw rookie. Or was paired with the legendary Philip Larsen. If your name was Zdeno Chara or Shea Weber, you'd still struggle with partners like that.

So if comes down to a choice of paying either paying Jordie Benn, Oscar Fanenberg or even Stecher as 'depth' defenders, or bringing in Tryamkin, it has to be a 'no-brainer', right?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Tryamkin's UFA Status | Puckpedia

There's really no way he can make decent money any time soon other than signing in Vancouver.
Huh. For some reason I thought it was next year. My bad with that.

sorry weren't you one of the people who said there is no way he is ever coming back? I had many people condemning me for being unrealistic in wanting him back. And all along I said the only real issue is the salary cap. I suspect the league is going to negotiate with the player union to institute player buyouts to deal with the destroyed revenues due to the present situation. We shall see.

I want him back. He is not a Norris candidate ... he just brings some very valuable tools to the canucks. You have 2 of the most skilled but diminutive players in the NHL ... Myers and Tryamkin will provide some level of insurance for them.

There's still a long way to go in getting him back even assuming that a) he'd be willing to come back to the Canucks and b) the latest conversations with his agent are sincere. The Canucks still have to sign Markstrom, Tanev and/or Toffoli, and then what's left? Even if he really does want to play in Vancouver again, what are we going to pay him with? Magic beans? The salary cap is still a thing. And the Canucks are still useless at keeping within it.

Yeah, it's still unrealistic.

And ffs, the myth of "protection" has been debunked about a thousand times.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Huh. For some reason I thought it was next year. My bad with that.

There's still a long way to go in getting him back even assuming that a) he'd be willing to come back to the Canucks and b) the latest conversations with his agent are sincere. The Canucks still have to sign Markstrom, Tanev and/or Toffoli, and then what's left? Even if he really does want to play in Vancouver again, what are we going to pay him with? Magic beans? The salary cap is still a thing. And the Canucks are still useless at keeping within it.

And ffs, the myth of "protection" has been debunked about a thousand times.

Disagree. If there is a season next year, I think Tryamkin will be wearing Canucks colors. And there is an advantage to having a large body to play with a small body. I have been saying for a year the Canucks are going to have serious cap problems, and unless this shutdown changes things there won't be a lot of money available. I still think the Canucks will sign him; the amount and the term will highly depend on the nature of where we go forward in these unreal times.

Reactions: Nucks2477

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
There's still a long way to go in getting him back even assuming that a) he'd be willing to come back to the Canucks
His agent has said over and over again, whenever he's been asked, that he's willing to come back and that it's his goal to sign with Vancouver.

and b) the latest conversations with his agent are sincere.
You supplied one speculative rationale for why they may not be that was based on a misconception and immediately debunked. Can you explain why you suspect they aren't sincere?

The Canucks still have to sign Markstrom, Tanev and/or Toffoli, and then what's left? Even if he really does want to play in Vancouver again, what are we going to pay him with? Magic beans? The salary cap is still a thing. And the Canucks are still useless at keeping within it.
The team will pay him with money. He's young, controllable, was likely making less than $1MM a year in the KHL and has nearly no leverage. Been could likely be traded. If he isn't, Tryamkin will replace Fantenberg on the roster and shouldn't earn much more than $1MM in excess of his salary on a short-term contract.

You're alone in this opinion both here and anywhere else as far as I can tell.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow! Bill Peters has just been announced as the new coach for Avtomobilist, Tryamkin's club team in the KHL.

If that doesn't drive him back to Canucks, nothing will!

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
His agent has said over and over again, whenever he's been asked, that he's willing to come back and that it's his goal to sign with Vancouver.

You supplied one speculative rationale for why they may not be that was based on a misconception and immediately debunked. Can you explain why you suspect they aren't sincere?

The team will pay him with money. He's young, controllable, was likely making less than $1MM a year in the KHL and has nearly no leverage. Been could likely be traded. If he isn't, Tryamkin will replace Fantenberg on the roster and shouldn't earn much more than $1MM in excess of his salary on a short-term contract.

You're alone in this opinion both here and anywhere else as far as I can tell.

for some reason PC has a narrative that says no matter what he is not coming back to the canucks. Why i do not know. He is a valuable asset and should be given a chance. So he chose to run away, and for good reason. Why fans are butthurt about him making decisions in his best interest in strange. I want him back.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
“A colossal defensive defenceman that skates well and understands both sides of the puck. Displays fluid four-way skating ability and backchecks hard. Very proactive stick and adheres to the physical side of the game. Finds lanes and tracks the puck well in his own end, and will pressure the opposition to make hastier decisions. Great vision and willingness to move the puck up-ice quickly. Possesses a very strong shot and natural puck skills. Very good positionally in the offensive end and knows how to hem the opponents in. Excellent board play and always looks to keep opponents to the outside.” -EP

What a tantalizing player at 6 foot 8. You know he ABSOLUTELY wants to play with Hughes. IF Tryamkin can fulfill his potential in the NHL then Tryamkin and Hughes could be the next modern day equivalent of Pronger and Niedermayer level pairing in the NHL that we haven’t seen since or a lite version of that. Or if we hit the jackpot even better. We could probably trade his rights for more than the 3rd round pick it took to get him, GMs love big dmen so it’s looking like a good value draft pick already at this point in time.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Our power play could be interesting this year. Tryamkin in front of the net Horvat and Miller with hughes left D and EP as rover.

I would put money on Tryamkin not seeing any PP time the entire season, unless our PP struggles immensely and Green is trying every option. Tyler Myers would get a chance over him.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
“A colossal defensive defenceman that skates well and understands both sides of the puck. Displays fluid four-way skating ability and backchecks hard. Very proactive stick and adheres to the physical side of the game. Finds lanes and tracks the puck well in his own end, and will pressure the opposition to make hastier decisions. Great vision and willingness to move the puck up-ice quickly. Possesses a very strong shot and natural puck skills. Very good positionally in the offensive end and knows how to hem the opponents in. Excellent board play and always looks to keep opponents to the outside.” -EP

What a tantalizing player at 6 foot 8. You know he ABSOLUTELY wants to play with Hughes. IF Tryamkin can fulfill his potential in the NHL then Tryamkin and Hughes could be the next modern day equivalent of Pronger and Niedermayer level pairing in the NHL that we haven’t seen since or a lite version of that. Or if we hit the jackpot even better. We could probably trade his rights for more than the 3rd round pick it took to get him, GMs love big dmen so it’s looking like a good value draft pick already at this point in time.
You just compared Tryamkin and Hughes to one of the top 10, if not top 5, D-pairings in NHL history. I like both players a lot but I think expectations, especially of Tryamkin, need to be tempered a little. And the first name that came to mind when you mentioned that GMs love big men was Andre Pedan...big is good but they have to be able to play. Tryamkin needs to show he can play before GMs will be tripping over themselves to get him. BTW Pedan's stat line in the last two years in the KHL is better than Tryamkin but I haven't watched any KHL games.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
for some reason PC has a narrative that says no matter what he is not coming back to the canucks. Why i do not know. He is a valuable asset and should be given a chance. So he chose to run away, and for good reason. Why fans are butthurt about him making decisions in his best interest in strange. I want him back.

He ran away because he had a gigantic sense of entitlement that made him believe that he did not need to earn top 4 minutes, which in itself was ridiculous, then after he left talked shit about the city which gave him a chance and realistically embraced him. You earn your way into this league, it is not handed to you on a silver platter, and it damn sure shouldn't be. Also how is it not classes less to speak ill of the city which gave you a chance? If that was his "best interest" as you say why would you want him back?

Do you really not understand why that would piss off the fanbase?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Tryamkins potential is not Pronger, not even close. Tryamkins ceiling is probably that of a 4th dman and that only happens after he proves it, which he hasn't done.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Can't wait to see him back in the line-up, He's the type of defenceman that would fit perfectly on St.Louis Blues defence with this size, skating, and IQ.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As this miserable Pandemic drags on, and the projections for the return of normalcy in the sporting world seem to be like a disappearing horizon, you really begin to wonder about leagues like the KHL.

A number of teams are owned by industrialists and driven by oil revenues, and as the price for everything from petroleum to manufactured goods collapses, how are all the teams going to survive?

If I was Tryamkin and his agent Todd Diamond, I'd be stepping up the efforts to try and get a guaranteed contract out of the Canucks. You just never know now what 'the new normal' in pro sports will look like by next season.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
He ran away because he had a gigantic sense of entitlement that made him believe that he did not need to earn top 4 minutes, which in itself was ridiculous, then after he left talked shit about the city which gave him a chance and realistically embraced him. You earn your way into this league, it is not handed to you on a silver platter, and it damn sure shouldn't be. Also how is it not classes less to speak ill of the city which gave you a chance? If that was his "best interest" as you say why would you want him back?

Do you really not understand why that would piss off the fanbase?

You wanna talk about Tryamkin’s character but not giving a kid who was 21 years old at the time a second chance shows a bigger lack of character

Reactions: bbud and barriers

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You wanna talk about Tryamkin’s character but not giving a kid who was 21 years old at the time a second chance shows a bigger lack of character

I agree, that you can basically throw out Tryamkin's lone season in VanCity. And I have no idea why some people keep bringing the 'character issue', as if it's somehow relevant in 2020.

In his last stint here, Tryamkin was a raw rookie with a serious language barrier and experiencing a culture-shock. He was being coached by an old-school guy, who didn't like Russians and didn't much like him.

And the team was beyond lousy. I mean look at some of the stiffs that Willie paired him with. Most of them are out of the league or barely hanging on as journeyman depth defenders.

But of course Willie was coaching for his job, so he wasn't about to give Tryamkin the ice-time he needed to develop. And I don't blame Nikita for declining to go to Utica. It was in his contract, that he couldn't be forced to go down. And if Willie, Jimbo and the Canucks didn't like it, they shouldn't have signed the contract in the first place.

Come-on people. The Canucks are in a far better place now than they ever were in the Willie years. And at this stage of his career, if Tryamkin isn't an upgrade on guys like Benn, Fantenberg or even Stecher, then they'll be a playoff bubble team forever.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I agree, that you can basically throw out Tryamkin's lone season in VanCity. And I have no idea why some people keep bringing the 'character issue', as if it's somehow relevant in 2020.

In his last stint here, Tryamkin was a raw rookie with a serious language barrier and experiencing a culture-shock. He was being coached by an old-school guy, who didn't like Russians and didn't much like him.

And the team was beyond lousy. I mean look at some of the stiffs that Willie paired him with. Most of them are out of the league or barely hanging on as journeyman depth defenders.

But of course Willie was coaching for his job, so he wasn't about to give Tryamkin the ice-time he needed to develop. And I don't blame Nikita for declining to go to Utica. It was in his contract, that he couldn't be forced to go down. And if Willie, Jimbo and the Canucks didn't like it, they shouldn't have signed the contract in the first place.

Come-on people. The Canucks are in a far better place now than they ever were in the Willie years. And at this stage of his career, if Tryamkin isn't an upgrade on guys like Benn, Fantenberg or even Stecher, then they'll be a playoff bubble team forever.

I don't all the people who were butthurt that he made a decision in his own best interest that was not in the canucks best interest. He will be a valuable piece of a successful Canucks team, and I hope like hell they sign him.

Reactions: barriers

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Nikita's contract has expired and hes eligible to be signed as of yesterday. It'll be interesting, as from what I've read so far it seems that, rightly so to be fair, Benning is holding off until details of next season regarding the cap to re approach a deal. I admittedly haven't kept up with him a great deal, but it should be interesting to see how he fits in if signed. Echoing statements previously, the Canucks are without a doubt in a much better position than we were last time he was here, but hopefully if he does sign down the road, its to something reasonable and more of a "prove it" deal.

It does however suck that even at the current stage the team is in, we're that cash strapped that we're having to wait until next season and whatnot :laugh: I guess it makes sense however, if buyouts become a thing and the cap fluctuates one way or another.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
One of two scenarios is at play with Tryamkin.

Either the Canucks and his agent have reached some sort of 'agreement in principle' and are just waiting until the smoke clears on the COVID crisis, and the salary cap numbers are confirmed.

Or alternatively, they're using the cap uncertainly to put off his contract for awhile, even though other NHL teams have been signing players from the KHL throughout this crisis. If that's the case, then they obviously aren't necessarily convinced they can afford him, and wouldn't worry too much if he re-signs in the KHL.

And if that happens, it would be baffling. Particularly because Benning went on radio praising Tryamkin as a 'shut-down' d-man, lauding his size and mobility.

Could mean the Canucks looming cap crunch is a lot worse than we thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad