Player Discussion Tryamkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
One of two scenarios is at play with Tryamkin.

Either the Canucks and his agent have reached some sort of 'agreement in principle' and are just waiting until the smoke clears on the COVID crisis, and the salary cap numbers are confirmed.

Or alternatively, they're using the cap uncertainly to put off his contract for awhile, even though other NHL teams have been signing players from the KHL throughout this crisis. If that's the case, then they obviously aren't necessarily convinced they can afford him, and wouldn't worry too much if he re-signs in the KHL.

And if that happens, it would be baffling. Particularly because Benning went on radio praising Tryamkin as a 'shut-down' d-man, lauding his size and mobility.

Could mean the Canucks looming cap crunch is a lot worse than we thought.

It's likely every team is in a holding pattern regarding what happens the low cap teams are there because revenue isn't there in some cities and for the most part high capped teams are stuck waiting but the NHL itself has to come to some sensible solutions if the lost revenues affect the cap this affects most teams fans are left to guess for now .

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's likely every team is in a holding pattern regarding what happens the low cap teams are there because revenue isn't there in some cities and for the most part high capped teams are stuck waiting but the NHL itself has to come to some sensible solutions if the lost revenues affect the cap this affects most teams fans are left to guess for now .
Cap likely remains flat. Just a matter of really high escrow to cover for lower revenues. Anyone signing a contract now knows that 2020-2021 salary will end up with a much lower take home amount. Can see most players making next season a low amount salary wise to compensate.

$5 mill cap hit with next years salary under $3 mill to lessen the impact.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Cap likely remains flat. Just a matter of really high escrow to cover for lower revenues. Anyone signing a contract now knows that 2020-2021 salary will end up with a much lower take home amount. Can see most players making next season a low amount salary wise to compensate.

$5 mill cap hit with next years salary under $3 mill to lessen the impact.
My sense is that the NHL and NHLPA will need to come up with a two year interim plan to cover the drop in gate revenue, which now stands at approximately 40% of total revenue. If large venues are not allowed to open in most cities until 2021, the escrow will in no way cover the drop in revenues. But the league is locked into the TV deal ($200M per year) until the end of the 21/22 season. If they're smart they will use the interim period to get fans used to a modified pay-per-view model.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Are buyouts subject to any escrow? If not, compliance buyouts may be attractive to both sides.

Unless I am mistaken the compliance buyouts that came with the 2013 CBA and the regular buyouts count against the players share and eventually lead to a higher escrow. I would think they only way we see compliance buyouts is if there is a significant drop in the cap ceiling.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
sure would be nice to buyout Eriksson, and sign Tryamkin to $3M x 4 .... I think thats about what he is going to get ...
$3 million, are you nuts? That's double what he should get. I can see a 3 year at $1.75 per, even that seems a bit high. Anything more than that and the Canucks should trade his rights.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
$3 million, are you nuts? That's double what he should get. I can see a 3 year at $1.75 per, even that seems a bit high. Anything more than that and the Canucks should trade his rights.
The Canucks are paying Sven Baertschi; Brandon Sutter; Antoine Roussel; Michael Ferland; and Jay Beagle well over $3m a year each. If Tryamkin isn't more valuable on this trainwreck blueline than any of those guys up-front, then the Canucks are in serious trouble.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The Canucks are paying Sven Baertschi; Brandon Sutter; Antoine Roussel; Michael Ferland; and Jay Beagle well over $3m a year each. If Tryamkin isn't more valuable on this trainwreck blueline than any of those guys up-front, then the Canucks are in serious trouble.
Benning signing all those crap (bloated) contracts is exactly why we can’t afford Tryamkin, among others (Tanev, Tofoli)

Reactions: vanuck and barriers

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning signing all those crap (bloated) contracts is exactly why we can’t afford Tryamkin, among others (Tanev, Tofoli)
I get from your post that if the Canucks don't take a flyer on Tryamkin and he heads back to the KHL, then it's because of all 'the crap contracts' they already have on the books. I agree with you. It's not that he isn't worth $3m a season, it's just that the Canucks have no cap room.

Benning had better pray that compliance buyouts are part of the new landscape coming out of the COVID-19 lockdown. Otherwise Tryamkin isn't the only guy they're going to lose out on.

Reactions: Luckylarry

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
No in that scenario Tram is the one who's in trouble. Your acting like he is the only option we have to improve on our most obvious weakness which is are 5th 6th and 7th Dman. Realistically I prefer Rathbone and Joulevi over Tram. I think the team walks away from Stech, Fanta and Motte making room for Zack, and replacements for Stech, Fanta and hopefully Benn. If Tram ends up being part of that he's gonna get paid like a #6 until he proves he's even a good option long term. Maybe I'm higher on Rathbone and Joulevi then others, I see them both as top 4 D with OJ still having a ceiling of a #2. He gets shit on because he was taken before MT but he managed to take a big step health wise "albeit on a team mandated reduced workload". He still was used in all roles and had some games where he showed why he was as hyped as he was.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I get from your post that if the Canucks don't take a flyer on Tryamkin and he heads back to the KHL, then it's because of all 'the crap contracts' they already have on the books. I agree with you. It's not that he isn't worth $3m a season, it's just that the Canucks have no cap room.

Benning had better pray that compliance buyouts are part of the new landscape coming out of the COVID-19 lockdown. Otherwise Tryamkin isn't the only guy they're going to lose out on.

I think you are overrating Tryamkin by quite a bit.

And compliance buyouts wont help because they will only come if the cap goes down

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think you are overrating Tryamkin by quite a bit.

And compliance buyouts wont help because they will only come if the cap goes down
Sadly, Benning overvalued: Erickson, Myers, Beagle, Sutter, Baer, etc.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
3 million for 4 years? That seems like way too much for a guy who is, at best, a bottom-pair defenseman.

I think $2 million x 2 years is fair, it's identical to the Benn deal.

I think $3M AAV is fair if you're signing him to 4 years. There's still a fair bit or risk involved in signing a guy like Tryamkin but at the same time there is a perceived upside vs a veteran like Benn. Reality is that both sides have to agree to what type of player Tryamkin is/can be.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
They want to compete, and Tryamkin is pretty much an unknown. They aren't going to go into next season with him pencilled into the top 4 on either side. He shoots left, so they'll want him on the left side. He'd be behind Edler and Hughes next year, on the 3rd pairing. Basically, he starts out as a 5/6 D and will have to work his way up from there. I think he proved he can play at this level 3 years ago, but he should get paid as a 3rd pairing Dman, until he proves he deserves more. 2-2.5 mil at the most, for 1 or 2 years. We have to see how good he is and where he fits, before signing him to any kind of decent money or term - especially with the all the cap concerns

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
They want to compete, and Tryamkin is pretty much an unknown. They aren't going to go into next season with him pencilled into the top 4 on either side. He shoots left, so they'll want him on the left side. He'd be behind Edler and Hughes next year, on the 3rd pairing. Basically, he starts out as a 5/6 D and will have to work his way up from there. I think he proved he can play at this level 3 years ago, but he should get paid as a 3rd pairing Dman, until he proves he deserves more. 2-2.5 mil at the most, for 1 or 2 years. We have to see how good he is and where he fits, before signing him to any kind of decent money or term - especially with the all the cap concerns

agree with all of this, but i don't think he is coming back for less than $2.5 M, and suspect he will be asking for 3+. We'll see but I think they will settle about 3. And yes I know, most of you hate this idea.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
agree with all of this, but i don't think he is coming back for less than $2.5 M, and suspect he will be asking for 3+. We'll see but I think they will settle about 3. And yes I know, most of you hate this idea.
I think it's just giving in to overpaying when we don't have to. Of coarse his agent will ask high. But we own his NHL rights, and it sounds like even 2mil would be significantly more than he would likely get in the KHL. There's also the question of how good he is in the NHL right now, and to me that all adds up to Tryamkin having very little leverage.

Then again, Benning is the one making the deal...

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I think it's just giving in to overpaying when we don't have to. Of coarse his agent will ask high. But we own his NHL rights, and it sounds like even 2mil would be significantly more than he would likely get in the KHL. There's also the question of how good he is in the NHL right now, and to me that all adds up to Tryamkin having very little leverage.

Then again, Benning is the one making the deal...

Fair comment, but is the time they finally draw the line in the sand after overpaying at least of 8 out of 10 of their UFA signings. .... yes he has "little leverage" but do you really want to piss him off for $ .5M dollars after we have overpaid so many players?

Reactions: zcaptain

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
No in that scenario Tram is the one who's in trouble. Your acting like he is the only option we have to improve on our most obvious weakness which is are 5th 6th and 7th Dman. Realistically I prefer Rathbone and Joulevi over Tram. I think the team walks away from Stech, Fanta and Motte making room for Zack, and replacements for Stech, Fanta and hopefully Benn. If Tram ends up being part of that he's gonna get paid like a #6 until he proves he's even a good option long term. Maybe I'm higher on Rathbone and Joulevi then others, I see them both as top 4 D with OJ still having a ceiling of a #2. He gets shit on because he was taken before MT but he managed to take a big step health wise "albeit on a team mandated reduced workload". He still was used in all roles and had some games where he showed why he was as hyped as he was.
Lol! Rathbone and Juolevi are preferable options to Tryamkin? Really? Tryamkin is a 25-year old d-man with four years of pro experience, including three seasons in the KHL where he was once voted to the all-star team. Rathbone has never played a pro game; and Juolevi has shown virtually nothing since the Canucks drafted him in 2016.

If the Canucks want to walk away from Tryamkin, I suppose it's their call. But if they're expecting two rookies to step into their lineup and perform just as well, then they're dreaming in technicolor.

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Lol! Rathbone and Juolevi are preferable options to Tryamkin? Really? Tryamkin is a 25-year old d-man with four years of pro experience, including three seasons in the KHL where he was once voted to the all-star team. Rathbone has never played a pro game; and Juolevi has shown virtually nothing since the Canucks drafted him in 2016.

If the Canucks want to walk away from Tryamkin, I suppose it's their call. But if they're expecting two rookies to step into their lineup and perform just as well, then they're dreaming in technicolor.
He's shown like some offensive skills/puch moving ability but as much defensive ability as Jordan Subban. Difference was, Subban was drafted in the 4th round (115th overall).

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Rathbone is already a better player than Tryamkin. But, why can’t we have both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad