Player Discussion Tryamkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rathbone is already a better player than Tryamkin. But, why can’t we have both?
Eventually Rathbone might be better than Tryamkin, but not right now. There's no possible way you can compare NCAA Ivy League hockey to the KHL. Rathbone is almost certainly going to need some time in Utica. If they sign Tryamkin, he steps right into the lineup.

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Eventually Rathbone might be better than Tryamkin, but not right now. There's no possible way you can compare NCAA Ivy League hockey to the KHL. Rathbone is almost certainly going to need some time in Utica. If they sign Tryamkin, he steps right into the lineup.
These players are not comarable on any level though I appreciate your point that the NCAA can't be compared to the KHL. I'm happy to see if Rathbone surprises people at training camp and in the preseason. The man has serious skill. Time will tell whether his best spot is in Utica (which I'm expecting from a development standpoint not from a cap management standpoint).
I think it's reasonable to compare Rathbone to Stecher who, after playing 3 years of college at UND, basically stepped right into the NHL (4 games in Utica) because he impressed at training camp. Rathbone is a year younger (turns 21 in less than a week) but has already passed Stecher's NCAA season best.
I'm looking forward to see what he can do.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Sorry guys

Tryamkin plays both sides, and when he was here, he predominantly played right defense.

I also think he will be here next year, but I think that the Cap and escrow are stalling things a little.

Let's wait and see what happens after July 15th. No rush. Same goes for Rathbone, who I think will

play on the Canucks next season.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
They want to compete, and Tryamkin is pretty much an unknown. They aren't going to go into next season with him pencilled into the top 4 on either side. He shoots left, so they'll want him on the left side. He'd be behind Edler and Hughes next year, on the 3rd pairing. Basically, he starts out as a 5/6 D and will have to work his way up from there. I think he proved he can play at this level 3 years ago, but he should get paid as a 3rd pairing Dman, until he proves he deserves more. 2-2.5 mil at the most, for 1 or 2 years. We have to see how good he is and where he fits, before signing him to any kind of decent money or term - especially with the all the cap concerns

He does shoot left, but he always strongly preferred playing the right side while he was here, and that's basically where he played. He played
RD in the NHL.

I've totally lost track of what side he's been playing in Russia. I'm guessing both sides, since a competent two-sided D would be a valuable
asset during the grinding attrition of a season and playoffs. But I'm also guessing that he still prefers playing on the right side. I've heard that
Green is a bit of a side freak, so that could be the first of a series of clashes of will between a stubborn coach and a stubborn player.

Edit: zcaptain beat me to it :)

Reactions: zcaptain

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Sorry guys

Tryamkin plays both sides, and when he was here, he predominantly played right defense.

I also think he will be here next year, but I think that the Cap and escrow are stalling things a little.

Let's wait and see what happens after July 15th. No rush. Same goes for Rathbone, who I think will

I'd love to see a Rathbone-Tryamkin D pairing somewhere down the road. Mobility and offence backed up by
massive size and reach.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Same was said about Quinn Hughes. Rathbone is ready now, and would be quickly in our top four. I’d like JB to sign both Tree and Bone.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
All any of us have are game highlights and a few shift-by-shift videos, but I agree. He's extremely talented and his skating/agility are elite. I'm pretty confident he's going to be an NHL regular very soon.
Harvard games were on the Internet. Skilled, smart, and hyper competitive for sure. But He’s also heavy on and off pucks (even though he’s not tall, he’s built solid) and has a bit of meanness in his game. Like posted earlier, Tree and Bone would be a great pairing. And just think, we could sign Tree to 3 and Bone (ELC) under 1, and together they cost 2 less than Myers. Thanks Benning/Wisebrod. :thumbd:

Reactions: bandwagonesque

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
... I'm happy to see if Rathbone surprises people at training camp and in the preseason. The man has serious skill. Time will tell whether his best spot is in Utica (which I'm expecting from a development standpoint not from a cap management standpoint).
I think it's reasonable to compare Rathbone to Stecher who, after playing 3 years of college at UND, basically stepped right into the NHL (4 games in Utica) because he impressed at training camp. Rathbone is a year younger (turns 21 in less than a week) but has already passed Stecher's NCAA season best.
I'm looking forward to see what he can do.

Have I missed a Rathbone signing?

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Matt Sekerus of TSN 1040 says he has a source that told him. The Canucks will not sign him and he will be traded

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Matt Sekerus of TSN 1040 says he has a source that told him. The Canucks will not sign him and he will be traded
Not surprising given the Canucks lack of cap space and Benning's own words on the matter. They have much more important players that they still have to sign.

Hopefully they can get something of value back. But I'm not expecting much.

I'll still be a bit disappointed to see him in another NHL jersey. The bottom half of the Canucks roster is missing entertaining young players.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
God I hope you’re talking about Tryamkin. If JB/Wisebrod trade Rathbone as sweetener to dump one of their bad contracts, I’m going to throw something! God we have the crappiest management EVER!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sorry guys

Canucks Army has an excellent analysis of the implications of a flat salary cap on the Vancouver Canucks, and it ain't pretty. And a flat-cap is probably the best that NHL teams can possibly hope for coming out of this Pandemic.

Looking more and more like the only hope to sign a guy like Tryamkin or Rathbone over the short term, is if the league the NHLPA agree to some sort of compliance buyout agreement. Otherwise, the Canucks are saying 'goodbye' to at least two of Tofoli, Tanev and Makrstrom.

So once the league comes out of this extended shut-down, and rules around the cap, buyouts and UFA's are established, then you'll probably see the Canucks move on guys like Rathbone and Tryamkin. Because at the very least, they'll be looking to replace Tanev and Fantenberg on their blueline.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
How many teams would be screwed in the case of a flat cap? What about a shrinking one? I’m willing to bet we’re not alone in this. If so, you’re going to see all kinds of salary clawback mechanisms in place when games resume just to make the new normal workable going forwards.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
You’re speaking of Tryamkin or Rathbone? And do you have a link to the radio hit? Thanks
Dhaliwal was on Sekeres and Price yesterday and said there was no activity on Tryamkin one way or another and made no mention of a decision or potential trade, and neither Dhaliwal or Sekeres appears to have contradicted this or said anything on the subject since.

EDIT: Listened further. Toward the end of the segment Sekeres interrupted Dhaliwal and said "He'll never sign there, they're working on a trade, a little bird told me, the bet is still on, pick a restaurant." So it appears to be a long-standing position based on something he heard a while ago that would have contradicted the public narrative and his agent's statements. Dhaliwal, on the other hand, claims Tryamkin's camp is surprised at the lack of an offer.

Last edited:

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
This saga needs to be put to rest. Was never impressed by Tryamkin. Big guy that doesn't look like he skates on cement and is suddenly the next best thing.

The guy doesn't even really play tough. Just a whole lot of 'meh'. Don't really care whether they sign him or not.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
This saga needs to be put to rest. Was never impressed by Tryamkin. Big guy that doesn't look like he skates on cement and is suddenly the next best thing.

The guy doesn't even really play tough. Just a whole lot of 'meh'. Don't really care whether they sign him or not.
This isn't an accurate description of what he is. He's very mobile, plays fairly tough, and would probably be the biggest player in the league.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
God I hope you’re talking about Tryamkin. If JB/Wisebrod trade Rathbone as sweetener to dump one of their bad contracts, I’m going to throw something! God we have the crappiest management EVER!
I like Rathbone as a potential player for us but I doubt he'd be anywhere close enough to being a sweetener for another team to take on a bad contract of ours (of which we have several - "blame Gillis" :sarcasm:).

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
This isn't an accurate description of what he is. He's very mobile, plays fairly tough, and would probably be the biggest player in the league.
"Very mobile"?

For a big guy, sure. I said 'big guy that doesn't skate in cement'.

"Plays fairly tough"

'Fairly tough'? I mean, alright. He didn't really when he played with the Canucks. If that's changed, fantastic. How much KHL footage have you watched of him?

"would probably be the biggest player in the league"

I mean, alright? But what else?

I rate a guy like Rathbone much higher than Tryamkin.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess as this silent NHL spring drags on with no news on Tryamkin, it's becomes less and less likely that he signs here.....particularly since KHL training camps are supposed to start up in July.

Normally a Russian d-man deciding to stay home, would be cause for a shrug of the shoulders. No big deal. But this Canuck blueline is a train-wreck. Other than Hughes, their best two other d-men are 30-plus veterans Edler and Tanev, who are declining and injury-prone. One is a UFA and the other is 34 with one year left on his contract. Myers is also closing in on 30, and has never demonstrated that he's much more than a 4-5 guy on the depth chart...a lot closer to #5 than a #4.

I'm sure if they could get out of the second year of Benn's contract, they would. And Stecher may price himself out of the market as a depth defender. And Fantenberg is as good as gone.

There's a few guys in the pipeline like Rafferty, Woo, Juolevi and Rathbone, but they have to actually come in and make the team first...and there are no guarantees. There's a few guys on the UFA wire around the league, but Canucks have no cap-room to sign any of them.

So what happens with a guy like Tryamkin is a bigger deal than it normally would be. He's a 25-year old d-man with four years of pro experience, who can at least step into their lineup and play.

But the reality is--other than drafting Hughes--the failure to address this chronically deficient blueline has been Benning's biggest flop to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad