Player Discussion Tryamkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Fair enough he does have huge bust factor and at least Try showed he can be a depth guy at the NHL level

Nothing wrong with adding him just don't get the hype. He'll be a guy who comes in a performs for how much he gets paid. Not a guy who moves the needle or changes the complexion of the team.
Tree is a huge, bear strong man. He easily moves guys off their ice. He actually injures guys when he hits them. I totally agree his offensive contributions will be minimal, but his physical presence will “move the needle”.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He's going to be a high quality addition for the 5th spot.

Hughes-Tanev
Edler-Myers
Tryamkin-Rafferty

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He's going to be a high quality addition for the 5th spot.

Hughes-Tanev
Edler-Myers
Tryamkin-Rafferty
That would actually be a very good 'top-six'. But just can't see how they'll be able to retain Tanev. And Rafferty's defense at the NHL-level, still a question mark.

It would have made such a difference if Juolevi had been able to play up to his lofty fifth overall draft standing....he'd be knocking on the door as a top-four d-man by now....but looking more and more like he tops out as a depth defender, and little else.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Video basically basically confirms what we already know about Tryamkin....skates well for a big man, but keeps the game simple and moves the puck quickly to the open forwards.

The other thing you notice is his work along the wall....when he leans on somebody, it's like they're being squeezed by a cement truck. The cycle basically stops dead in its tracks, which is something the Canucks desperately need on their back end. They still give up way too much zone time and are seriously vulnerable to the down-low forecheck.

Finally, the highlights are from games between a couple of 'middling teams' in the KHL. You still have to be impressed with the overall speed of the game. It's fast, and a lot quicker than the AHL.

Makes you realize that what Podkolzin is doing in this league as a 18-year old rookie, is beyond impressive.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Tryamkin plays the right side but Vancouver fans like seeing two tall guys together and call them Twin Towers.

he can play both sides i think. but he's more comfortable playing right. his reach and size would gladly help the canucks defensive corps. for next year.

Hughes/edler
myers/?? tree
benn/rafferty.? ufa

no stecher/tanev. traded/signed elsewhere.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
he can play both sides i think. but he's more comfortable playing right. his reach and size would gladly help the canucks defensive corps. for next year.

Hughes/edler
myers/?? tree
benn/rafferty.? ufa

no stecher/tanev. traded/signed elsewhere.

Your pairings make my head spin. :confused:;)

Hughes and Edler are LD. Myers and Rafferty are RD. Tryamkin I think is more comfortable on the right side but I agree he can play on the left. From memory, I think he is better on the right side.

I'm not a fan of playing Dman away from their natural side (and I'm not talking about whether they are a left or right shot) even if they aren't disastrous playing the other side. Kind of like when we had Garrison and we played him on the left side. He wasn't bad but it just doesn't work well.

Reactions: David71 and MarkMM

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'm kinda skeptical of expecting Tryamkin to be more than a 3rd pair calibre player. Yah he's big, and he hopefully has improved in the KHL, but in his last stint with the Canucks I remember him being an icing machine and somewhat of a poor player defending the rush. I think his puck skills are still going to be below par.

Edler - Stecher?
Hughes - Myers
Tryamkin - Rafferty
Benn

The above lineup doesn't really inspire much confidence defensively. I'd like to retain Tanev, but I don't really see any way that happens given our cap situation. I think the club's UFA priority is Markstrom, and even that will be tight.

Reactions: shottasasa

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
What is the cap going to be next year considering the Covid-19 shutdown? I don't know if any contracts should be signed before that has been settled.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What is the cap going to be next year considering the Covid-19 shutdown? I don't know if any contracts should be signed before that has been settled.
The league has escrow, so they can keep the cap where it is now (which is not really what revenues are) and the players just give back 30 % of their salary to get to the 50/50 split. The cap could even go up. I think escrow was 15-20 last year anyway. The cap really is kind of a facade.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Your pairings make my head spin. :confused:;)

Hughes and Edler are LD. Myers and Rafferty are RD. Tryamkin I think is more comfortable on the right side but I agree he can play on the left. From memory, I think he is better on the right side.

I'm not a fan of playing Dman away from their natural side (and I'm not talking about whether they are a left or right shot) even if they aren't disastrous playing the other side. Kind of like when we had Garrison and we played him on the left side. He wasn't bad but it just doesn't work well.

like the mike babcock why. LD/RD. sometimes coaches don't have a choice not many guys are right handed. so gotta play them on their offside. for some reason i like RD/RD together but awkward for them to skate back if they're playing on their offside.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well hey, as long as everyone's sure a deal can get done. Under the salary cap. Remember that? It's still a thing.

And of course there's no possibility whatsoever that Tryamkin's agent is just playing up the Canucks' interest as leverage to sign a one year deal with a KHL team that will take him to NHL UFA territory upon expiry once business resumes (whenever that may be).

I'm glad all those things have been sorted.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Well hey, as long as everyone's sure a deal can get done. Under the salary cap. Remember that? It's still a thing.

And of course there's no possibility whatsoever that Tryamkin's agent is just playing up the Canucks' interest as leverage to sign a one year deal with a KHL team that will take him to NHL UFA territory upon expiry once business resumes (whenever that may be).

I'm glad all those things have been sorted.

sorry weren't you one of the people who said there is no way he is ever coming back? I had many people condemning me for being unrealistic in wanting him back. And all along I said the only real issue is the salary cap. I suspect the league is going to negotiate with the player union to institute player buyouts to deal with the destroyed revenues due to the present situation. We shall see.

I want him back. He is not a Norris candidate ... he just brings some very valuable tools to the canucks. You have 2 of the most skilled but diminutive players in the NHL ... Myers and Tryamkin will provide some level of insurance for them.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
He is a fun player to watch. I was very disappointed when he left. He is similar to Jake V. is that he has outstanding tools but can he use effectively use them? It is better than not having tools to be any better. The team needs changes as defense was bad last year. Tryamkin instead of Benn or Fantenberg is a big upgrade in every way. Not sure how he fits salary wise but he is worth some sacrifice. Would be great if we had a Russia for when Pod arrives as well. We have a terrible history is basically every Russian who has played on team, hope that can be changed.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
sorry weren't you one of the people who said there is no way he is ever coming back? I had many people condemning me for being unrealistic in wanting him back. And all along I said the only real issue is the salary cap. I suspect the league is going to negotiate with the player union to institute player buyouts to deal with the destroyed revenues due to the present situation. We shall see.

I want him back. He is not a Norris candidate ... he just brings some very valuable tools to the canucks. You have 2 of the most skilled but diminutive players in the NHL ... Myers and Tryamkin will provide some level of insurance for them.

It's sarcasm Bill, because none of those things have been sorted.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Tryamkin isn't a free agent until 2022. So no, I guess there isn't.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Tryamkin isn't a free agent until 2022. So no, I guess there isn't.
Will the KHL, with so many teams, even survive for a next season? I read here that league is kind of dying? Maybe Tryamkin signs with us, or he’s in Sweden or Switzerland? And those leagues pay peanuts compared to what he would make here.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Video basically basically confirms what we already know about Tryamkin....skates well for a big man, but keeps the game simple and moves the puck quickly to the open forwards.

The other thing you notice is his work along the wall....when he leans on somebody, it's like they're being squeezed by a cement truck. The cycle basically stops dead in its tracks, which is something the Canucks desperately need on their back end. They still give up way too much zone time and are seriously vulnerable to the down-low forecheck.

Finally, the highlights are from games between a couple of 'middling teams' in the KHL. You still have to be impressed with the overall speed of the game. It's fast, and a lot quicker than the AHL.

Makes you realize that what Podkolzin is doing in this league as a 18-year old rookie, is beyond impressive.

More or less agree with your assessment except his defense against the rush needs a lot of work. Over reliance on a long stick and poor backwards skating = will get burned repeatedly at the NHL level. Not disqualifying, but it's definitely something he will have to work on. He will need a strong skater as his defensive partner - definitely not Myers.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
More or less agree with your assessment except his defense against the rush needs a lot of work. Over reliance on a long stick and poor backwards skating = will get burned repeatedly at the NHL level. Not disqualifying, but it's definitely something he will have to work on. He will need a strong skater as his defensive partner - definitely not Myers.
Tryamkin is a fabulous skater. What are you talking about? If anything the smaller rink will even make him better.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
My memory is a little foggy, who was Tryamkin's main d partner in the 16/17 season?
Going by the numbers it looks like the pairings were ....
Edler Tanev
Hutton Stecher
Sbisa Tryamkin
If so, no wonder he wanted out of here. Other notables were Gudbranson, Biega and Larson. No wonder their record was 30-43-9. Man Dejardins was a bad coach.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Tryamkin is a fabulous skater. What are you talking about? If anything the smaller rink will even make him better.

I'm basing this on the 8-minute video posted above, so caveats with small sample: His lateral edge work is solid and after a lumbering first stride, he has decent top speed. Can't say the same for his backwards skating. Much rougher, less controlled, poor acceleration. That and he pitches forward to wave at the puck with his long stick as his go-to move against an oncoming rush. Contrast that with another big man in Edler who does it much better. Or better yet, contrast that with how Quinn Hughes backs in to defend against the rush. Both of them use their skating to force forwards outside and angle them away from passing and shooting lanes.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad