Trouba trade looks better everyday for the jets

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I mean, it's way too early. It all banks on Heinola. Pionk is what he is, maybe he'll get a bit better defensively.

And even then they might not have had Heinola rated there, and had drafted someone else.

If Heinola becomes a top 4 D it gets better for us.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The big thing about Cheveldayoff is that he is ultra-patient and him and his scouts run one of the very best draft-and-develop organizations in hockey. It's no surprise that they can and will make the most of any futures package given to them, no matter how meager that they may be on paper.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I mean, it's way too early. It all banks on Heinola. Pionk is what he is, maybe he'll get a bit better defensively.

And even then they might not have had Heinola rated there, and had drafted someone else.

If Heinola becomes a top 4 D it gets better for us.

Plenty of defensemen improve in their age 24 season and above. I'm not saying that Pionk will ever be a 1st pairing guy, but he has room to grow into a decent second-pairing RHD IMO, especially in Winnipeg where there will be minutes-galore to munch up on the right side.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Plenty of defensemen improve in their age 24 season and above. I'm not saying that Pionk will ever be a 1st pairing guy, but he has room to grow into a decent second-pairing RHD IMO.

I agree, but that still doesn't make him anywhere near the equal of Trouba so far, and Trouba is only a year older.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I agree, but that still doesn't make him anywhere near the equal of Trouba so far, and Trouba is only a year older.

I'm not saying that Trouba and Pionk are equal players; they are obviously not. What I am saying is that considering the unusual circumstances of Trouba being a pending UFA (due to him being in the league since age-18) and only willing to sign for one team, it led them to trade him for an (on-paper) meager return. However, if Pionk and Heinola end up developing into a third of their future D-core, that's a very good trade outcome for Chevy.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
There you have it folks, Pionk is going to be as good as Trouba, if not better, as soon as next year.
Holy strawman.

Look, Jets fans are happy that Heinola seems like a home run for a 20th overall pick, and that Pionk hasn't been complete trash like Rangers fans said he would be. It certainly looks better now than it did the day of that trade, there is no really arguing that.

The Rangers still got a great deal and a great player.

We can all be happy here, it's not a zero-sum world.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
View attachment 265157

They're averaging almost 4 goals against per game.

The trade was awful.
Well shit, your top defensemen "retires" out of nowhere, your #2 defensemen demands a trade, your number 5 defensemen wants 6 mil a year and some team is dumb enough to give it to him, and your #6 defensemen gets hurt and well golly gee the defense sucks.

That has literally no bearing on whether the trade was good or not.

Reactions: Ezekial

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think the only way it looks good is if he just bombs in NY. Hes been a decent player so far in his career, dont see him regressing much.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Holy strawman.

Look, Jets fans are happy that Heinola seems like a home run for a 20th overall pick, and that Pionk hasn't been complete trash like Rangers fans said he would be. It certainly looks better now than it did the day of that trade, there is no really arguing that.

The Rangers still got a great deal and a great player.

We can all be happy here, it's not a zero-sum world.

You are just fooling yourself.

Giving up Trouba, a first pairing D-man, was devastating for the Jets. Pionk is not even in his league, and there is absolutely no guarantee that Heinola will be in Trouba's league.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Point is the Jets are still the better team, and they will be for at least a few years despite New York’s “great offseason” and the Jets “terrible offseason”.

Are they though? The Jets are .500 and just got spanked by Arizona in front of your first non-sellout crowd. Don't sit there and act like you are any bit better than the Rangers. Times are-a changin

Reactions: Jets4Life

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
You are just fooling yourself.

Giving up Trouba, a first pairing D-man, was devastating for the Jets. Pionk is not even in his league, and there is absolutely no guarantee that Heinola will be in Trouba's league.
I am absolutely not fooling myself, and I never once stated that Heinola would be in Trouba's league. Learn how to read.

I said the trade is better than the day it was made, because it was horseshit the day it was made. At least now we have guys who I believe have potential instead of a late 1st and a trash defensemen like I believed when the trade happened.

We were never going to get a defensemen in Trouba's league for him with one year left of control and his demand to go to specific markets. Don't be dense.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Jets had a gun pointed to their head where Trouba's agent said he would only play for a New York based team. As a Jets fan, I'd probably prefer still having Trouba, but Chevy sure did well with a gun to his head. Pionk is no Trouba, but he is a serviceable top 4 d-man who can QB a second unit PP. And Heinola looks like a future star. When the trade went down, I wanted to vomit because I had never heard of Pionk. But now I'm pretty happy with it.

And I almost forgot to mention the extra cap space we got in trading Trouba, which allowed us to sign Connor and Laine. Cap space in todays NHL has significant value, which cannot be underestimated.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I am absolutely not fooling myself, and I never once stated that Heinola would be in Trouba's league. Learn how to read.

I said the trade is better than the day it was made, because it was horse**** the day it was made. At least now we have guys who I believe have potential instead of a late 1st and a trash defensemen like I believed when the trade happened.

We were never going to get a defensemen in Trouba's league for him with one year left of control and his demand to go to specific markets. Don't be dense.

Pionk is a mediocre defenseman. He is above average in offense, but below average defending. Heinola is still a big question mark. You are delusional, and your Jets homerism is blinding you to the reality that Trouba was a huge loss, and cannot be replaced.

The trade is what it is. Hopefully Heinola will exceed expectations, and eventually become a top pairing defenseman, but please keep it real. The trade was lopsided, and the Rangers won the trade hands-down.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Pionk is a mediocre defenseman. He is above average in offense, but below average defending. Heinola is still a big question mark. You are delusional, and your Jets homerism is blinding you to the reality that Trouba was a huge loss, and cannot be replaced.

The trade is what it is. Hopefully Heinola will exceed expectations, and eventually become a top pairing defenseman, but please keep it real. The trade was lopsided, and the Rangers won the trade hands-down.
I am not being a homer at all, I don't think you know how to read really.

I haven't once said it was a good deal for the Jets, I haven't once said that Pionk or Heinola can replace Trouba. You're arguing strawmans.

All I have said is the deal has looked better since it happened, which is objectively true. You seem to be the delusional one.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3