Trouba trade looks better everyday for the jets

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The only way this thread stays open is if people respond in a productive way (I.e., something other than a one-word response or GIF).

Now, continue...

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
"Trouba trade looks better everyday"

"I don't know how good Trouba has been with the Rangers..."

122499.jpg
Stellar is the answer.

Pionk has looked fine in the Jets games I’ve watched, but he has started hot with the Rangers too. He’s a real trooper though so if he becomes a player with the Jets, good for him. The Jets were in a crappy situation so their fans deserve getting good value out of that trade. It doesn’t really affect the Rangers either way. They had assets to trade.

Last edited:

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
It will look even better if you add in the lottery the Jets add this year thanks to losing half their blueline.

j/k?

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
You're talking about a trade. Evaluating a trade requires looking at what came in and what went out.

that is a very simple way of looking at a trade.

there are many other factors that impact a trade.

what about a salary dump?

what about team needs. ie a lesser player in a needed position for a better player that is a position of strength.

what about the trouba situation where he restricted the teams he would sign with, thus torpedoing his value?

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
It will look even better if you add in the lottery the Jets add this year thanks to losing half their blueline.

j/k?

trouba had to go.

it is debatable whether the jets knew or not that buf would be a no show.

the cap available needed to go to laine and connor.

I would not of given Meyers the contract Vancouver did.

even though the defence we have may need more experience, I am fine with the team, considering the position our gm was in.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Trouba has played only 3 games for the Rangers, and the D has already looked much better. Pionk did not fit with the Rangers, it doesnt matter who won the trade, it’s that each player is helping their new team. If you are happy with Pionk, awesome. So far we are happy with Trouba...even if it’s been only 3 games.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Point is the Jets are still the better team, and they will be for at least a few years despite New York’s “great offseason” and the Jets “terrible offseason”.

Not sure why you're turning this into a NY vs WPG thread.

You guys got a young player who's played well in Pionk and got to draft Heinola with the 20th OA pick.

Rangers got a right handed dmen that can play top pairing, all situational minutes who they signed long term and is still only 25.

Both teams can be happy with a trade. It doesn't have to be one or the other. I was on the Jets board giving some love to Pionk after the trade when your fanbase was having a meltdown saying that his advanced metrics aren't a true representation of his capabilities since he was forced in a role that was ultimately beyond his abilities as a rookie.

You're personalizing things for some reason. Be happy with what you have and hope that it continues.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Trouba sucks.

Clears the crease. Can man the point. Wins 1-on-1 battles. Strong on the PK. Cannon of a shot. Throws his body. Good outlet passer.

The only criticism I have is when he takes himself out of a play going for a hit. He did that a few times in pre-season, but he's been a rock for us in the 3 regular season games thus far.

Suggesting Trouba sucks makes you sound bitter.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
Trouba's awesome and gets better every year

Pionk is like that french guy Tampa used to have, that they only roll out for the PP

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
i think most people expect more out of trouba than they do out of pionk, so comparing them is a bit difficult when the definition of success is clearly different

neither are struggling, but are both on struggling teams, so it should be a fairly moot point no matter what your personal opinion turns out to be

Nov 24, 2006
Pretty early but the math to me looks like this:

1. Trouba is better than Pionk, dollars aside.

2. $3 million Pionk is better than $8 million Trouba.

3. Pionk plus Heinola is much better than Trouba.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Trouba is not an 8 million dollar player. Any non-biased person would tell you that, "projections" are also a bad way to try and justify a contract. #1 defensemen are worth that kind of money, a #1 defenseman he is not.

He makes as much as John Carlson, who is significantly better.
Projections is the name of the report hahaha. Its also heavy used by hockey media. "Any non biased person" mother f***er that report is made by non biased people. The f*** you talking about. Carlsson also took a hometown discount after winning the cup. You don't get to compare discount contracts to non discount contracts if you want anyone to take you seriously.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
You're not wrong about this part. Nobody thought Trouba was/is worth 8 million per year, but NY was desperate.

Think he's like the 7th or 8th highest paid defenseman now.

the concensus was on the open market Trouba would be asking around $8.5M-$8.5M per

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
IIRC, Pionk started out this way with the Rangers too, and he faded fast.
Damn really? A 23 year old D had a hot start that didn't last a whole season? Crazy.
Kinda sounds like Trouba's career until he was 24.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Projections is the name of the report hahaha. Its also heavy used by hockey media. "Any non biased person" mother ****er that report is made by non biased people. The **** you talking about. Carlsson also took a hometown discount after winning the cup. You don't get to compare discount contracts to non discount contracts if you want anyone to take you seriously.

Regardless, Trouba is not an 8 million dollar player. He is one of the highest paid defensemen in the league, and nowhere near that in terms of actual skill and ability. He isn't a #1 defensemen but is paid as such.

the concensus was on the open market Trouba would be asking around $8.5M-$8.5M per

Asking and getting are two different things, and yea a desperate team (such as the Rangers) would for sure give him that much. That doesn't mean he is worth that much, free agents are almost always overpaid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad